PDA

View Full Version : I need your advice on writing a book.

dixiepixie
08-26-2009, 04:11 PM
For years I have wanted to write a book about Disney. It's the the thing I am most passionate about, I'm sure all of you understand! I love reading other people's stories about their Disney experiences. I want to put together a collection of funny/sweet/inspirational stories relating to people's Disney trips. The best way to get them is my problem. I want to set up a website but don't know the best way to get permission for publishing each story. I thought of doing a blog but am stuck for how to structure it so that I get a release with the stories.

I hope that there are some people out there more tech savy than me, or possibly that have some law knowledge that can offer me some advice. Or at least some that will encourage me that this is a good idea to keep me moving forward.

Thanks to all of you!

Strmchsr
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Since I have a book being published this spring with Pilgrim Press I can somewhat walk you through this process. First off, you need to decide if you want to self-publish or go through a publisher. Second, you need to keep in mind that publications of any kind that use Disney or Disney World imagery/font/photos, etc (even photos you took yourself) are subject to Disney copyright and any publisher (even self-publishing houses) would require you to get a release from Disney for using those images.

As for the stories, each person submitting a story would need to submit a signed release form (probably even notarized the way some lawyers are these days) stating that they understand their story is going to be used for publication, they grant release for that publication, and the understand that they will receive no compensation for the use of their story. They also must agree to any necessary editing in the release. If you go through a publishing house they will have their own release forms, but self-publishing you will need to do your own. Easiest way is if you set up a website asking for submissions set up an email link and let people email you their stories then have a release form in pdf format that they can download, fill out, and mail to you. Make sure you let folks know that no stories can be printed without that release.

If you're going through a publishing house, best way to start is look in your travel section for publishers, especially ones who do Disney books. Go to the publisher's website and most have a page on submissions. They'll tell you if they accept unsolicited submissions or not and what you'll need to do from there.

If you have any other questions about the process feel free to ask or PM me.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
08-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Strmchsr, what kind of book? Anything any of us might be interested in?

He made some great points, I would also add, go to your local library and see what you can find there, ask the librarian too. Also, Google can be helpful, but I might caution you to watch out for the rip-off agents who will take your money and your work and leave you with nothing. Take your time, and check references on everything and everybody. Ask lots of questions and if you can, find someone that's done it and get their help as much as they'll offer.

As for stories, it sounds like it could be interesting, I would be willing to offer up something, if I could. The hard part, unless you know a lot of people, might be finding the stories and the people, even if you do set up a web-site. As someone who's recently created something on the Internet recently, the hardest part I've found is getting traffic to your site.

Within the last year I've created a couple of disney-related products that I am now selling thru a distributor because, I didn't have the money nor the ability to market it myself. Also, I've just created a blog so I could have a central place to keep and publicize my ideas, again, the hard part is getting traffic to that site. I've found that Facebook and Twitter can be somewhat helpful depending on how active you are with it.

I might suggest for the stories, you start with the Disney community and message boards like Intercot, there are many others, but none as friendly in my opinion. But there are some others that have a lot more users and you might be able to get some stories from them. You may want to send a letter to the owner/administrator of the site(s) and just tell them what you're wanting to do, and ask for their permission in soliciting individuals on the boards. Most will probably be okay with you're sending individual messages privately, but probably not enmasse.

Another idea would be to ask about getting a mention or inclusion in their newsletters. Many fan-based Disney sites send out a newsletter periodically and might be willing to include a mention about your project.

If you're interested in creating a blog to collect and catalog, I would be willing to help with that, but I'm not sure if that's the best method to do it. But then again, I don't know of a better method at the moment. Maybe someone can chime in who has an idea.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how we can help. Feel free to contact me off-list/personally.

Strmchsr
08-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Strmchsr, what kind of book? Anything any of us might be interested in?

It's called "Learning To Talk Sheep" and is a leadership book. The basic idea is looking at the different type of "sheep" in your "flock" as a leader and what it takes to lead each type. The sheep/shepherd metaphor comes from my occupation as a pastor, but the leadership principles apply to any situation. I hope everyone is interested! :thumbsup:

BMan62
08-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Chris, I am a little confused - does that mean that, if we post pics from our trips on a photo hosting site and/or link in our threads, we are technically breaking copyright laws? I know that you can use them for personal use - scrapbooking, home video, etc. - but where is the line drawn?

GrumpyFan
08-31-2009, 12:42 PM
It's called "Learning To Talk Sheep" and is a leadership book. The basic idea is looking at the different type of "sheep" in your "flock" as a leader and what it takes to lead each type. The sheep/shepherd metaphor comes from my occupation as a pastor, but the leadership principles apply to any situation. I hope everyone is interested! :thumbsup:

Sounds interesting! Let me know when and where it will be available.

Strmchsr
08-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Chris, I am a little confused - does that mean that, if we post pics from our trips on a photo hosting site and/or link in our threads, we are technically breaking copyright laws? I know that you can use them for personal use - scrapbooking, home video, etc. - but where is the line drawn?

Well, technically I think the answer would be yes, but I've never heard of WDW pursuing a lawsuit of someone on a photo hosting site because it's not for profit. You're just putting up pics of your vacation. If you were selling them, it would be a different story. I think the "profit" issue is where the line is drawn. So, the OP's issue of wanting to write a book to sell would cross that line.

Sounds interesting! Let me know when and where it will be available.

As soon as I know the street date I'll be sure to let everyone here at Intercot know. I do know that it will be available through Amazon and all major distributors. (you can actually go to Amazon through the link here on Intercot and it supports Intercot).

SBETigg
08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Just keep in mind that the website could be a help or a hindrance. If you establish a blog or site that becomes wildly popular, it could lead to a book deal. On the other hand, the fact that the stories are already published on a website could deter any publisher from entering into a book deal. Chris offered good advice on deciding if you want to self-publish or if this might be something you want to sell to a publisher.

Jeff Herman's Guide to Editors, Agents, and Publishers can be found in the reference section or your bookstore or possibly library. He has great information on contacts and putting together a book proposal, which is what you would need to pitch a project like this to an editor or agent. I'm published in fiction, and I don't know enough about non-fiction to advise you well but best wishes with it! It sounds like a fun book idea.

sillyolbear
09-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Great topic! I'm currently working on a DMin in leadership. Look forward to the book.

Strmchsr
09-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Great topic! I'm currently working on a DMin in leadership. Look forward to the book.

That's my degree as well. Did it at the Beeson Pastor program at Asbury Seminary.