PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Kennedy dies from cancer at 77

Hammer
08-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Before I post the information, I am going to ask that you keep your comments civil and NOT start a political debate. We were able to do that when Reagan died and I hope we can do that here as well.

(CNN) -- Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, the patriarch of the first family of Democratic politics, died late Tuesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. He was 77.

"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," a family statement said. "We thank everyone who gave him care and support over this last year, and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice."

President Obama learned about Kennedy's death at 2 a.m. Wednesday, according to a senior administration official. Obama later called Kennedy's widow to offer condolences.

In a statement, Obama says: "An important chapter in our history has come to an end. Our country has lost a great leader, who picked up the torch of his fallen brothers and became the greatest United States Senator of our time."

Kennedy, nicknamed "Ted," was the younger brother of slain President John F. Kennedy and New York Sen. Robert Kennedy, who was gunned down while seeking the White House in 1968. However, his own presidential aspirations were hobbled by the controversy around a 1969 auto accident that left a young woman dead, and a 1980 primary challenge to then-President Jimmy Carter that ended in defeat.

But while the White House eluded his grasp, the longtime Massachusetts senator was considered one of the most effective legislators of the past few decades. Kennedy, who became known as the "Lion of the Senate," played major roles in passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act and the 1993 Family and Medical Leave Act, and was an outspoken liberal standard-bearer during a conservative-dominated era from the 1980s to the early 2000s.

"He was probably best known for the ability to work with Republicans," said Adam Clymer, Kennedy's biographer. "The Republican Party raised hundreds of millions of dollars with direct appeal to protect the country from Ted Kennedy, but there was never a piece of legislation that he ever got passed without a major Republican ally."

Kennedy recently urged Massachusetts officials to change a law to allow for an immediate temporary replacement should a vacancy occur for one of his state's two Senate seats.

Under a 2004 Massachusetts law, a special election must be held 145 to 160 days after a Senate seat becomes vacant. The winner of the election would serve the remainder of a senator's unexpired term.

Kennedy asked Gov. Deval Patrick and state leaders to "amend the law through the normal legislative process to provide for a temporary gubernatorial appointment until the special election occurs," according to the letter, dated July 2. Read Kennedy's letter

Kennedy suffered a seizure in May 2008 at his home on Cape Cod. Shortly after, doctors diagnosed a brain tumor -- a malignant glioma in his left parietal lobe.

Surgeons at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina, removed as much of the tumor as possible the following month. Doctors considered the procedure a success, and Kennedy underwent follow-up radiation treatments and chemotherapy.

A few weeks later, he participated in a key vote in the Senate. He also insisted on making a brief but dramatic appearance at the 2008 Democratic convention, a poignant moment that brought the crowd to its feet and tears to many eyes. Kennedy died one year to the day after that appearance.

"I have come here tonight to stand with you to change America, to restore its future, to rise to our best ideals and to elect Barack Obama president of the United States," Kennedy told fellow Democrats in a strong voice.

Kennedy's early support for Obama was considered a boon for the candidate, then a first-term senator from Illinois locked in a tough primary battle against former first lady Hillary Clinton. Kennedy predicted Obama's victory and pledged to be in Washington in January when Obama assumed office -- and he was, though he was hospitalized briefly after suffering a seizure during a post-inaugural luncheon.

Kennedy was one of only six senators in U.S. history to serve more than 40 years. He was elected to eight full terms to become the second most-senior senator after West Virginia Democrat Robert Byrd.

He launched his political career in 1962, when he was elected to finish the unexpired Senate term of his brother, who became president in 1960. He won his first full term in 1964.

He seemed to have a bright political future, and many Democratic eyes turned to him after the killings of his brothers. But a July 18, 1969, car wreck on Chappaquiddick Island virtually ended his ambitions.

After a party for women who had worked on his brother Robert's presidential campaign, Kennedy drove his car off a bridge on Chappaquiddick, off Cape Cod and across a narrow channel from Martha's Vineyard. While Kennedy managed to escape, his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, drowned.

In a coroner's inquest, he denied having been drunk, and said he made "seven or eight" attempts to save Kopechne before exhaustion forced him to shore. Although he sought help from friends at the party, Kennedy did not report the accident to police until the following morning.

Kennedy eventually pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident. In a televised address to residents of his home state, Kennedy called his conduct in the hours following the accident "inexplicable" and called his failure to report the wreck immediately "indefensible."

Despite the dent in his reputation and career, Kennedy remained in American politics and went on to win seven more terms in the Senate. Kennedy championed social causes and was the author of "In Critical Condition: The Crisis in America's Health Care." He served as chairman of the Judiciary and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions committees and was the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary and Armed Services committees during periods when Republicans controlled the chamber.

Obama named Kennedy as one of 16 recipients of the 2009 Presidential Medal of Freedom, America's highest civilian honor. A White House statement explained that the 2009 honorees "were chosen for their work as agents of change."

"Senator Kennedy has dedicated his career to fighting for equal opportunity, fairness and justice for all Americans. He has worked tirelessly to ensure that every American has access to quality and affordable health care, and has succeeded in doing so for countless children, seniors, and Americans with disabilities. He has called health care reform the "cause of his life."

Born in Boston on February 22, 1932, Edward Moore Kennedy was the last of nine children of Joseph P. Kennedy, a prominent businessman and Democrat, and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy. Joseph Kennedy served as ambassador to Britain before World War II and pushed his sons to strive for the presidency, a burden "Teddy" bore for much of his life as the only surviving Kennedy son.

His oldest brother, Joe Jr., died in a plane crash during World War II when Kennedy was 12. John was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, in 1963, and Robert was killed the night of the California primary in 1968.

Ted Kennedy delivered Robert's eulogy, urging mourners to remember him as "a good and decent man who saw wrong and tried to right it; who saw suffering and tried to heal it; who saw war and tried to stop it."

The family was plagued with other tragedies as well. One sister, Kathleen, was killed in a plane crash in 1948. Another sister, Rosemary, was born mildly retarded, but was institutionalized after a botched lobotomy in 1941. She died in 2005 after more than 60 years in mental hospitals.

Joseph Kennedy was incapacitated by a stroke in 1961 and died in November 1969, leaving the youngest son as head of the family. He was 37.

"I can't let go," Kennedy once told an aide. "If I let go, Ethel (Robert's widow) will let go, and my mother will let go, and all my sisters."

His sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founder of the Special Olympics, died August 11. The ailing senator was unable to attend her funeral. His mother, Rose Kennedy, died in Hyannis Port at age 104 in 1995.

Kennedy himself survived a 1964 plane crash that killed an aide, suffering a broken back in the accident. But he recovered to lead the seemingly ill-starred clan through a series of other tragedies: Robert Kennedy's son David died of a drug overdose in a Florida hotel in 1984; another of Robert's sons, Michael, was killed in a skiing accident in Colorado in 1997; and John's son John Jr., his wife Carolyn and sister-in-law Lauren Bessette died in a 1999 plane crash off Martha's Vineyard.

In addition, his son Edward Jr. lost a leg to cancer in the 1970s, and daughter Kara survived a bout with the disease in the early 2000s.

Kennedy was forced to testify about a bar-hopping weekend that led to sexual battery charges against his nephew, William Kennedy Smith. Smith was acquitted in 1991 of charges that he raped a woman he met while at a Florida nightclub with the senator and his son Patrick, now a Rhode Island congressman.

Like brothers John and Robert, Edward Kennedy attended Harvard. He studied in the Netherlands before earning a law degree from the University of Virginia Law School, and worked in the district attorney's office in Boston before entering politics.

Kennedy is survived by his second wife, Victoria Ann Reggie Kennedy, whom he married in 1992; his first wife, Joan Bennett; and five children -- Patrick, Kara and Edward Jr. from his first marriage, and Curran and Caroline Raclin from his second.

Tink1
08-26-2009, 10:44 AM
He was the only Kennedy brother to die with grey hair.

RIP Senator.

Nanc

Ian
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
To second Christine's warning, any posts at all of a political nature will be immediately removed. Sen. Kennedy is a polarizing figure so keep any commentary out of your responses.

diz_girl
08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
RIP Senator Kennedy. Thank you for your service to our country.

My condolences to his family. Although he was a father of five, he was also a surrogate father to 13 nieces and nephews when his two brothers were assassinated.

On a side note, I've always felt odd about the fact that the Chappaquiddick accident happened on the day that I was born.

SurferStitch
08-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Wow! I didn't watch the news this morning. This is the first I've heard about it.

SBETigg
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm a nearly lifelong MA resident (moved to MI for one year and moved back) and I've never known a Massachusetts without Senator Ted Kennedy. It's a sad day here.

chrissi1
08-26-2009, 12:15 PM
its very sad, end of an era.... RIP :(

RedSoxFan
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Very sad. :(

TiggerD
08-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Being a life long resident of Massachusetts, waking this morning to the news of Senator Kennedys passing shook me to the core. One may not agree with all of his politics, but to me he was a great man and represented for all the people of this state and the US. My deepest sympathies to his family.

Septbride2002
08-26-2009, 06:01 PM
He was a great politician, and a wonderful family man. He'll be missed.

~Amanda

crazypoohbear
08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
As an almost life long MA resident, born to parents who were born in MA and being of Irish descent growing the the Kennedy's were like royalty in our house. My father had a big picture of JFK hung up in the house, (none of us kids though). I have never in my life seen a ballot without Kennedy's name on it.

My complaint about his death is that I was awake last night at 2:00 AM when this news broke and I remained awake all night (insomnia)
It is now going on almost 20 HOURS of non stop news on every channel in MA. The only thing that is being reported is his life and death. I think it is time the news reports other news also. This is getting old fast and I know it will continue here in Ma at least through his funeral.
May he rest in peace but please lets get back to life.

brad192
08-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Like him or dislike him, the man was a FORCE in the American political scene.

Research what he accomplished as a US Senator and you'll find he influenced every one of our lives. He was a powerful & influential man who made a DIFFERENCE in the lives of ALL Americans.

He will be missed, and the end of an era is at hand.

Rest in Peace Mr. Kennedy.

Hammer
08-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Being as I was really busy at work, I only had a chance to post the news today and only now have a few minutes to share my thoughts.

A couple of things I did not realize until I watched some of the coverage today:

I did not realize how long he had been married to his second wife
I forgot he was the youngest child of Joe and Rose Kennedy. For some reason, I thought there was a sister who was younger.
I did not realize he was co-sponsor of the bill which created COBRA health insurance, some thing I have used and relied on when I have changed jobs.

...I have never in my life seen a ballot without Kennedy's name on it.

I said the same thing when I spoke to my mother this evening. Her response was "Honey, I can't remember a time when there wasn't a Kennedy in the Senate."

My complaint about his death is that I was awake last night at 2:00 AM when this news broke and I remained awake all night (insomnia)
It is now going on almost 20 HOURS of non stop news on every channel in MA. The only thing that is being reported is his life and death. I think it is time the news reports other news also. This is getting old fast and I know it will continue here in Ma at least through his funeral.
May he rest in peace but please lets get back to life.

While I realize it may drive you crazy, it will probably be like this for a few days in MA. He was a part of MA politics for over 40 years.

To use an example, when Harry Kalas died here, you could not get away from coverage of his death and stories about him for a couple of days. I am sure people who could care less about baseball were ready for other news, but had to put up with it until he was laid to rest 5 days later, where his service was held live on multiple local TV stations. Just know eventually it will go back to normal. Might want to look into watching some DVDs or cable channels that aren't news oriented.

ibrowse17
08-27-2009, 12:28 AM
The thoughts of my DW and I go out to his family. Thank you for your service:flag:

Wayne
08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
No matter what your personal feelings may have been about the man, his death marks the end of an era. I can think of no other family that has so publicly lived out lives of service, giving back to the community as a response to what they have been given.

RIP.

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
I felt a great deal of sadness yesterday morning when I heard the report of his death, although I had a feeling it was coming since he was unable to attend his sister's funeral two weeks ago. I have always admired the Kennedy family for their committment to service. I'm sure the younger generation will carry this tradition on.

crazypoohbear
08-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I felt a great deal of sadness yesterday morning when I heard the report of his death, although I had a feeling it was coming since he was unable to attend his sister's funeral two weeks ago. I have always admired the Kennedy family for their committment to service. I'm sure the younger generation will carry this tradition on.

When we heard about her death and funeral and heard that Ted was not in attendance, I told my son's that I thought would be passing soon, they asked why and I said he has never not been there for his family and it would take an act of God for him to not be there now, not only to pay respects to his sister but to be there to support his children, neices and nephews.

The news is still non stop coverage, they just transported his body from the cape, travelled through boston, past all the old family haunts (no pun) and then to the JFK library in South Boston, where the family is now, there are also hundreds of people lined up waiting outside of the library to pay respects after the family leaves.
It will be interesting to see which Kennedy will take over as leader of the family. I think it would be Caroline or Maria, but Ted does have one boy who is in political life.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-27-2009, 10:01 PM
This is truly the end of a dynasty. I don't think the younger generation will ever have the impact that John, Bobby and Teddy had.
RIP Teddy. My condolances to the family. I can only imagine how hard it is to grieve with the eyes of the world on you and especially to have to do it twice in one month!

Hull-onian
08-29-2009, 06:23 PM
When I was thirteen years old, while in the ninth grade, I was chosen as an "Ambasador" from my school to meet a young and rising star in the Democratic Party. Teddy was just starting out on his own. He gave a speech at Quincy High School (MA). He was great. Then I had the chance to meet him. It was wonderful as a young school girl to meet some one who was going to go on do such wonderful things for our country. I am proud to have met Teddy Kennedy.

Hull-onian
08-29-2009, 06:31 PM
On the day Senator Kennedy's body was brought up from Hyannis, MA. we were lucky enough to be on route three in a rest area in Marshfield. When the cadence came by, it was very respectful, and the Kennedy family all waved, and we so proud to be standing there to show our support for Vicki and the rest of the family. He is now with his two brothers, may he rest in peace. Teddy we loved you.

disneydeb
08-30-2009, 02:20 PM
He will be missed, I hope his legacy continues.

alphamommy
08-30-2009, 06:34 PM
We spent the last week in the U.P., staying with my DBIL who doesn't have cable, Internet, etc.

When we left yesterday, I noticed several banks and other businesses with flags at half staff. I said to my husband, "I wonder who died."

When we got to our hotel last night, while DD9 and DH went to the pool, I turned on the TV and started cruising through the channels. Suddenly, I landed on CSPAN, which was showing the funeral. With that, I knew who died.

It's hard to fathom that the last of Ted's generation of Kennedys is gone. RIP Teddy. :crying:

jillluvsdisney
08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
He was human and flawed but did many good things for this country. None of us want to be remembered for our worst moments in life and I choose to look at him that way also. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.