PDA

View Full Version : More than a day at AK?

baldburke
08-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Assuming you are on a vacation (4+ days) and not a day trip, does anyone ever spend more than a day at Animal Kingdom?

I guess we've been to WDW about 4 times since AK opened in '98 and I don't think we've ever spent more than a day (let alone a full day) there.

Is there anyone for whom AK is their favorite park? We go for a few key attractions, but there just isn't enough there to hold our interest.

Darbylew
08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
We just do one day for AK. We love it there but
you can do it in a day. We have done in less but
I like to take a day. There is a lot to see and do
there. Enjoy your time at WDW. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMER. :D

Pirate Granny
08-25-2009, 10:52 PM
I love it...but not when it's hot...it's especially nice when they have the late hours as you can really look around, and a lot of stuff is different in the dark...try the walk between Africa and Asia...beautiful.

badkitty
08-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Love AK! I can easily spend several days there. I love going on KS multiple times. Each safari is different. I also love to spend time on the walking trails and visiting with the Okapis and tigers. Then there is seeing all the shows. It is hard to hit FOW, Nemo, FOTLK and the parade in one day. It can be done, but I feel rushed when we try to fit it all in. AK is two days at least for me!

Melanie
08-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Animal Kingdom has definitely improved in recent years, but I think a nice full day at the park is all you need. There is enough time to do everything, including multiple times on Everest and the Safari if desired.

sisterslovindisney
08-26-2009, 08:03 AM
We park hop so we usually are at AK at least two times during our visit but not a full day each time. We use the first four full days to focus on one park each from morning until late afternoon.Then we head back to our resort, swim, and get ready for dinner. Then we head off to a different park for the evening. After the first 4 days we use our time to go back to everyone's favorites. This usually takes us to AK at least once more. I agree that it depends when you go. We go in January so we are actually able to do everything we want to do in any of the parks in one day.

SurferStitch
08-26-2009, 08:07 AM
We almost never spend a full day at any park. We always park hop. So, we got to AK at least twice, sometimes 3 times during a 10+ day trip.

It's just so beautiful there, and you can really slow down to just soak in everything.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-26-2009, 08:11 AM
We aren't huge fans of AK.

DH spends most of a day there, but never more than that. DD and I spend the day at BB instead!

TheVBs
08-26-2009, 08:16 AM
We usually spend 2 days of our trip at AK. I don't know why, but we just cannot fit everything into one day. Not even into 2 days! It may be because we have young kids and we take time for them to play in the Boneyard and try to stop for as many Discovery Kid Club spots as we can. That's one thing that really drives me nuts. No matter how hard we try, even over 2 days, we can't seem to manage to get all those stamps!

If anyone who is able to do AK in a day or two is willing to post a sample schedule, I would reallly appreciate it!

Dsnygirl
08-26-2009, 08:37 AM
We LOVE AK, so it always gets at least 2 days during a trip, even a short one. We just can't do everything we want to do in one day.

We love the shows, so that takes time... and our girls are just starting to enjoy DinoLand, so we end up there now, too, whereas we never did before. (Love Dinsosaur, but that's about all I can say I personally like about the area! ;))

But the safari, KRR, EE all are rides we enjoy more than once... TTBAB takes some time, and we enjoy circling the tree looking at everything.

Then there are all the trails... we really enjoy taking our time going through them, checking out all the animals.

We take our time for a nice lunch at FTBBQ, and for a :bar: down along the river... sigh.... now I'm getting homesick!! :blush: Glad I've only got a bit to go before we're there again!! :thumbsup:

disneycutie165
08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I would recommend going to AK 2 different days. But you are staying for 4 days. If you were most likely going on a 7day trip I would definately recommend going twice. But in your case, maybe one will work. And it all depends on when your going and how crowded it is. If there is hardly anyone there then you should be able to fly through it in a day. If it's crowded, the waits might be longer and your day might take longer. You should go twice, but since you are having a four day trip you should just make time for all 4 parks.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-26-2009, 09:12 AM
We went two days in December....its not our favorite overall park but my son's favorite ride (Expedition Everest) is there and our favorite stage show (Legend of the Lion King) is there.

I think my son rode EE a total of 17 times during that trip...with the long holiday lines we really needed the extra day.

darthmacho
08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I haven't done this, but I can certainly envision it. I can see spending a half day there, or multiple days, depending on your likes and dislikes.

Personally, I could do the KSafari and the two walking trails over and over again, and with Dinosaur, Kali, and now Everest, I could easily spend several days there. The trouble with that is that my family, particularly my wife, would not be entertained long by that type of itenerary, so I'd be on my own.

AK is my second favorite park. There is something, welll magical, about Magic Kingdom that makes it unsurpassable on the list, the pinnacle, if you will, of all theme parks. :mickey:

KAJUNKING
08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
ak is probably our least favorite park, but we still like it alot, we park hop and never spend a whole day at one park but during our trip we will make at least 2 visits to ak

Ms. Mode
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
We always go twice on 4 day Park Hopper tickets, 1/2 day each time. Mainly we hit our favorites and check out the animals if they're out. :mickey:

Stickey
08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
We spend 1.5-2 days at AK. This allows us time to hit our favorite rides multiple times, see the Lion King and Nemo shows, and walk the trails.

Ian
08-26-2009, 12:49 PM
We don't even spend a full day at AK, let alone more than one.

We go one morning as soon as it opens, hit Everest, the Safari, and maybe one or two others and then skedaddle.

AK is our least favorite of the four WDW theme parks.

ThanxForNoticin
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Love AK! I can easily spend several days there. I love going on KS multiple times. Each safari is different. I also love to spend time on the walking trails and visiting with the Okapis and tigers. Then there is seeing all the shows. It is hard to hit FOW, Nemo, FOTLK and the parade in one day. It can be done, but I feel rushed when we try to fit it all in. AK is two days at least for me!

Ditto for us. AK has definitely become our favorite park (since our kids are older). We go on vacation to get away and relax - we find most of the AK very relaxing - with the safari, the walking trails, and the shows.

Giggy
08-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Animal Kingdom is normally a 1.5-2 day park for us also but then we spend 2 weeks in Disney/Orlando so we try to get everything in AK done and it takes us the two days. First day we start out a Kilomajaro Safari, we tend to go there again on the scond day but start out with a character breakfast.

seanyred
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
We usualy go 1.5 to 2 days at AK. Its our third favorite with DHS being our least. I think prefrence is how you look at it. I see AK as more Zoo like thant attraction/ride theme park. So therefore we tend to take our time and soak in all of the finer details that goes in to the park. Also there are many hidden gems/animals if your willing to take your time...One of my favorites is the waterfall on Discovery Island.
But if all you are interseted in is rides and thrills I could see doing only a half day there.

jonahbear2006
08-26-2009, 02:41 PM
With the exception of Nemo, Everest, and Dinosaur..we really dislike A.K. and I mean to use the word dislike, in a very strong tone, without using a mean word. It is not even that it doesn't hold our interest, it is just sooo hot and everything is so far away from everything else. We tend to lose interest because we get soo tired of walking and looking for things. I will be happier when this park is closer to finished and there is more going on here. I do love the jingle jangle parade.

GoofyFan13
08-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I like Animal Kingdom, but out of the four parks I would say its my least favorite. I enjoy almost everything there, but weith the short hours, and all the distances between places, it gets a little.....stressed

mousetrapper
08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
It used to be our least favorite park - there may even have been one trip where we only went for 1/2 a day - but now we're appreciating it so much more. We (DH, DD who's 18, DD who's 15 and me) love the atmosphere of Asia and Africa. And now that EE is open, we REALLY love AK.

One thing that is really nice is when AK has an evening EMH. We were able to enjoy that the last trip, but unfortunately there isn't one during our upcoming trip. The atmosphere - especially in Asia and around EE - was so amazing in the dark. And we got to ride EE over and over again! :thumbsup:

Rhetoric2000
08-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Animal Kingdom is my favourite theme park and I believe it is well on the way to becoming the best amusement park in the world - which is what it should be given the concept and early execution.

With the lone exception of Sea World it is easily the best park to just be and walk around, especially the Africa and Asia areas.

It is the only place left on property with prolonged close interactions with cast members (plus animals), and the only place left on property where you can learn something (bye bye Communicore, Wonders of Life, Animation Tour, Backlot Tour). This especially applies to the interactions at conservation station.

In Everest and the Safari, it has 2 of the best 5 rides on property. Dinosoar and Kali aren't too shabby either.

It has the two best shows on property.

It has the best in park CS dining, and second best sit-down dining on property.

I cannot conceive how it could be thought of as a less that one day park - since I usually spend more time there than at Epcot and MK combined. But each to their own.

bruin1344
08-27-2009, 01:05 PM
AK is my least favorite of the 4 parks. Ive never spend more than 3 hours there. Its not a fun park to be in when its real humid. It could use some more indoor thrill rides or Pirates/HM type rides.

Ian
08-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I cannot conceive how it could be thought of as a less that one day park - since I usually spend more time there than at Epcot and MK combined. But each to their own.Definitely "to each their own", because, conversely, I cannot concieve of how one could spend any significant amount of time in Animal Kingdom without bored to tears.

Stickey
08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
It is very easy and enjoyable to spend at least 2 days at AK.

How is this possible?
1) The animals
REPEAT rides on the safari at different times of the day. :elephant:

2) Excellent attractions-
Everest, Dinosaur, It's Tough to be a Bug

3) Good attractions-
Khali River Rapids, Primevil Whirl, Flights of Wonder

4) Quality shows-
Lion King, Nemo

5) Two wildlife walking trails

6) The Tree of Life-
Definitely worthy of closer observation.

7) Characters at Camp Minnie-Mickey

8) The overall superior theming.

You may not be a fan of AK if:
1) You do not like animals.
2) You rush through, ignoring the detailed theming.
3) You resent anything built in the Eisner era.
4) You require blacktopped walkways and ac every 10 feet.
5) You have no interest in observing the animals.
6) The fact that the AK is not MK, or Epcot.
7) Different personal tastes. Some require constant stimulation and entertainment not found at AK.

When considering all four WDW parks, all are worthwhile. Based on rides and walking distances, Epcot is the weakest of the four, yet still worthy of at least a day. :beer:

Ian
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Based on rides and walking distances, Epcot is the weakest of the four, yet still worthy of at least a day. :beer:See, that's really just a matter of opinion. Because I find Epcot to be the second strongest park, behind only MK.

I think AK is dead last and by a large margin.

seanyred
08-27-2009, 04:33 PM
See, that's really just a matter of opinion. Because I find Epcot to be the second strongest park, behind only MK.

I disagree with you with AK being dead last but I can understand why that most might look at AK that way. Personally My order for the parks are MK, EPCOT, AK and DHS.

But to provide perspective on why I like AK so much consider this...I live near Chicago and I am member at both Brookfield Zoo and Morton Arboretum. On average I visit both places once a month and both are places that are best enjoyed at a slower pace...and looking at finer details...But I know there are people out there that see the Zoo or Arboretum a once a year visit.

So to each their own...and that's why I like WDW so much there is truly something for everyone....

Ian
08-27-2009, 04:54 PM
I can actually understand why some folks would rank DHS behind AK. It's definitely my 3rd ranked park and is just as far behind Epcot and MK as AK is.

disneykid@hrt
08-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I would say unless you're really into animals it is not a whole day park. We usually go and do a half day- park opening to whenever and do the main stuff. Then if we have time we will go back and do a few things later on in the trip. On our last day we usually park hop our booties off and go back to all our faves. But I'm a new mommy so who knows if I'll get out of it that easy anymore.:mickey:

TheVBs
08-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Animal Kingdom is my favourite theme park and I believe it is well on the way to becoming the best amusement park in the world - which is what it should be given the concept and early execution.

With the lone exception of Sea World it is easily the best park to just be and walk around, especially the Africa and Asia areas.

It is the only place left on property with prolonged close interactions with cast members (plus animals), and the only place left on property where you can learn something (bye bye Communicore, Wonders of Life, Animation Tour, Backlot Tour). This especially applies to the interactions at conservation station.

In Everest and the Safari, it has 2 of the best 5 rides on property. Dinosoar and Kali aren't too shabby either.

It has the two best shows on property.

It has the best in park CS dining, and second best sit-down dining on property.

I cannot conceive how it could be thought of as a less that one day park - since I usually spend more time there than at Epcot and MK combined. But each to their own.

Excellent points! I have to agree. We probably spend equal amounts of time at MK, Epcot and AK. But AK is always where I feel we didn't get to do enough. DHS would rank last on our list, but I do have to admit that we have not fully taken advantage of all there is to offer there. We're going to try, and perhaps that will change our opinion of it.

ThanxForNoticin
08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
See, that's really just a matter of opinion. Because I find Epcot to be the second strongest park, behind only MK.

I guess that's the beauty of choice at Disney World. For us, AK is a terrific and relaxing day, so we stay out of your way when you're at MK. Since you don't like it, we have a bit more room at AK. It seems to work out fine!

Lakin
08-27-2009, 08:27 PM
AK deserves 1 day. No more.

JenniferS.
08-27-2009, 08:42 PM
We usually go to wdw for 9 days and we only do about 1/2 day at AK on the whole trip. I would like to see more of it, but we have only gone when the weather was super hot and couldn't stand to be in that park too long. Maybe on our next trip, we will do more.

baldburke
08-28-2009, 12:25 AM
I can actually understand why some folks would rank DHS behind AK. It's definitely my 3rd ranked park and is just as far behind Epcot and MK as AK is.

I guess that's the beauty of choice at Disney World. For us, AK is a terrific and relaxing day, so we stay out of your way when you're at MK. Since you don't like it, we have a bit more room at AK. It seems to work out fine!

It is interesting that some think the maturity of the park equates to the length of stay. I suppose I never thought of it that way.

Certainly the three later parks have come along way, each in its own respect. TOT and R&RC have been at DHS for so long they like they've always been there. But yet could you imagine going to DHS without TOT, R&RC and Fantasmic? It might be a one day park as well otherwise.

Ian, btw, how did you get a registry date of 1969? I don't think the internet was even around back then.

WVParkfan
08-28-2009, 07:48 AM
The AK is our family's favorite park, and we spend more time there than any other. In fact, since our kids are older, we could skip the Magic Kingdom altogether and spend our entire time at WDW split between Epcot and the Animal Kingdom.

The AK is not about Everest or Dinosaur. For the 1/2 day people, it's all about running to EE for a Fastpass. To truly enjoy the Animal Kingdom, you've got to take your time and explore the Oasis. You've got to walk the many hidden paths around the tree of life. You've got to go on the safari in the morning and then return in the late afternoon to see the differences. You've got to stop and talk to the CM's on the Pangani Forest Trail. You've got to have lunch at the Flametree BBQ and sit out back by the water. You've got to get a Safari Amber beer at the Dawa bar in Harambe. You've got to see the parade (best parade in all of Disney World)!

I could go on and on. But let me finish with this... I'd much rather spend my time walking the Maharajah Jungle Trek than I would standing in line at Fantasyland for 2 hours to watch my kids ride something (Dumbo) that they could ride at any roadside carnival in the country. Thank God they are older now and have no desire to go to kiddieland.

prttynpnk
08-28-2009, 08:45 AM
We could easily do 2 days in Ak- due to planned events,meals whatever, we usually just do 1 day, but we love AK and if we saw every show every time and gave it the attention it deserves we'd need 2 days. We find that we walk slower in AK, taking more pictures, admiring the little hidden details and just seeing something different everytime. I could stay in the jungle trek for hours watching everthing....

Ian
08-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Ian, btw, how did you get a registry date of 1969? I don't think the internet was even around back then.I'm friends with Al Gore.

:secret:

FenwayGirl
08-28-2009, 10:14 AM
at least 2 days during our 9 day vacation ...every trip (biannual) We love this park. So much to see and do:mickey:

wishiniwasthere
08-28-2009, 11:45 AM
I love all the parks so I won't get into this one or that one being better than the others. To me, each has it's own unique thing, and I'm glad they do, or what would be the sense of visiting more than one park? Anyway, we love AK. Our problem is, we go in September and they close so early. It is very difficult to do everything we like, KS, EE, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Tough to be a bug, and all the great shows, and pretty much everything else along with the parade in the short time they are open. People used to tell us that AK was nothing more than a zoo, and here in St. Louis, we have one of the best zoos in the country, so I was very hesitant to ever go there. One trip and we fell in love with it, and definitely a unique and different experience than some of the other parks.

ThanxForNoticin
08-28-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm friends with Al Gore.

Great answer!!!

Rhetoric2000
08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
The AK is not about Everest or Dinosaur. For the 1/2 day people, it's all about running to EE for a Fastpass. To truly enjoy the Animal Kingdom, you've got to take your time and explore the Oasis. You've got to walk the many hidden paths around the tree of life. You've got to go on the safari in the morning and then return in the late afternoon to see the differences. You've got to stop and talk to the CM's on the Pangani Forest Trail. You've got to have lunch at the Flametree BBQ and sit out back by the water. You've got to get a Safari Amber beer at the Dawa bar in Harambe. You've got to see the parade (best parade in all of Disney World)!

I could go on and on. But let me finish with this... I'd much rather spend my time walking the Maharajah Jungle Trek than I would standing in line at Fantasyland for 2 hours to watch my kids ride something (Dumbo) that they could ride at any roadside carnival in the country.

Love this post. Just pretty much describes my days at AK perfectly.

Only without the parade. I don't like parades :partypooper: . A second safari Amber at the Dawa will do just fine.

readytogo2
08-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm friends with Al Gore.

that was good

Villains0501
08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
We always spend like half a day at AK, even when we stay for the average 7-night, 8-day trip! There just isn't much to do. In fact, before Everest saved the Park, we just went out of principle!

poohbearkris
08-29-2009, 11:23 AM
We usually will end up doing a day there - may leave early. We have little kids and they don't always have the patience to look for the animals and what not. It is a beautiful park. KS is nice, the ride aspect of it is a little corny and unfortunately you don't get to see a lot of animals all the time, but that is the risk you have when the animals are free to roam as they will. DIsney did do a good job representing the African terrain and it is like being plopped down in the middle of Kenya.

MinnieMommie
08-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Our family loves AK and do quite a bit when we are there but do not need more than a day or even a full day to do so. Our kids are grown so we are not slowed because of traveling with small children and there are things we don't do anymore like playing in the boneyard.

We have learned to navigate AK park well and manage to ride our favorite attractions (multiple times), see 2 to 3 shows, eat and even check out the animals on the Maharajah Jungle Trek. However we could actually visit a second time to go on EE (DH loves) and a few other favorites.

You will need to consider who you will be traveling with, the time of year (more crowded times will mean you will be able to do less in the same amount of time you could do more during another time of year) and the pace you will need to maintain.

You can do this park in less than a day depending on multiple factors or if the park is one of your favorites and you want to visit at a leisurely pace and do just about everything during a crowded time of year you can visit more than one day. :mickey:

redlegwife96
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
We almost never spend a full day at any park. We always park hop. So, we got to AK at least twice, sometimes 3 times during a 10+ day trip.

:ditto:

That's exactly how we do our trips too. I love to spend a morning in one park and go somewhere different in the late afternoon/evening. It gives enough variety to keep the kids happy.:mickey:

joonyer
08-31-2009, 05:38 PM
On our 7day trips, we will usually spend most of one day seeing/doing everything at AK, but then we will usually go back to AK several other times during the week (we always have hoppers) to ride EE, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, KRR or other favorites. We do the same thing at all the other parks too. I don't think we've ever spent an entire day (open til close) at any Disney Theme Park. We usually spend mornings at one park, Take a mid-day break and then evenings at another or maybe two, if a park is open really late.

kemps@wdw
08-31-2009, 11:08 PM
AK is a wonderful place! The more they add, the longer it takes to see it all. However, except for the few must-dos...EE,Safari, TTBAB, Khali, Dinosaur...this park is all about the slowing down and taking in ALL the beautiful scenery, appreciating the attention to detail, and interacting w/nature! I don't think most people REALLY take time to fully enjoy all the AK has to offer!:thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
We barely spend a whole day there. We don't even go every trip. We went this trip and tried to do everything but we were still done by early afternoon and didn't even stay for the parade. It is much hotter and muggier in AK than the other parks. I will say that the Lion King Show is awesome though! We went early for the Tusker House Breakfast and enjoyed that. Just not a park I will go back every time for.

BelleandtheBeast
09-10-2009, 11:11 PM
:thumbsup:It is big park, bigger than MK and Epcot combined. I have family members that say it their fav. I enjoy just walking around and talking photos of the animals and then go back the next day for the rides. Some traditions are hard to break, LOL

stitchaholic
09-11-2009, 06:29 AM
it is one of my favorite parcs,I am always amazed at the landscape and amazing theming,we always take a day,and then maybe 2 other mornings to be there

Imagineer1981
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
We probably do 1.5 days there. We love AK and have alot of fun there

VolMickey
09-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Our DD was 4 and it was a perfect age for us. We stayed at the CR with a MK view -- 11th floor conrner nearest MK. It was awesome for her and for us. :thumbsup: