PDA

View Full Version : Millennium Village

azcavalier
08-25-2009, 08:55 PM
In our book, "The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World 2009", it shows a map of the WOrld Showcase, and between Canada and the UK, the map shows a walkway that leads to something called the "Millennium Village". What is/was that?

Figment!
08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Millennium Village was added as part of Epcot's Millennium Celebration.

From Millennium Celebration (http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/epcot/millennium/default.asp)
A brand-new pavilion called Millennium Village will be erected on World Showcase. This “world without borders” will give a gathering of countries not currently represented at Epcot® a chance to share their unique cultural identities. Through fascinating interactive exhibits, working artisans, and entertainment native to these countries, you’ll discover the remarkable and innovative ways these nations' contributions will continue to shape our world in the new millennium.

Brazil, Chile, Eritrea, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Scotland, and Sweden were represented with interactive exhibits.

Artisan kiosks from Lebanon, Peru, Thailand, Egypt, Greece, Korea and Venezuela were also presented.

The pavilion is currently used for private & special events.

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I was at Epcot during the Millennium Celebration and never actually went there. Kinda wish I had now. :(

Diznee4Me
08-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Israel had a motion simulator - like Star Tours - which flew you through Jerusalem. Pretty incredible.

If I remember correctly Israel's exhibit was built completely out of stone especially brought over from Israel so that you would be officially on Israel soil - something to that effect.

All the exhibits were nicely done and very informative.

Aurora
08-27-2009, 12:10 PM
I thought it was awesome. The people who worked in each kiosk were from each country, same as the permanent countries in the World Showcase. They were all very friendly and eager to be hosts and hostesses and teach you about their countries.

I wish they could have continued it. Even though at that time there was some controversy about the countries because of Middle East conflicts, it was still a more hopeful time.

FutureFairygodmother
08-27-2009, 02:06 PM
We were there in Nov. '99. It was nice to have other countries to visit. I wish they would bring them back or have new ones come.

Ian
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, you know I went like 5 times at least during the Millennium Celebration and for some reason I never once went to Millennium Village.

I regret that now.

disneymom2000
08-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I was so pumped to go that year and one of the reasons was the Millennium Village. They had the most awesome countries and things to do. One of the countries had you walk through these four chambers that mimicked their seasons. Let me tell you coming from Texas - going through their winter chamber was cooolllddd. Then the ride in Jerusalem felt like you were seeing the countryside on a camel. And then they had this dome with the country of Israel inside with a lot of sand. They had soda's from different countries at a kiosk and food kiosks from each of the different countries. The people put a lot of work into it and it was so worth the trip. :cloud9:

Villains0501
08-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Oh yes! I know where that is! It is either directly outside or directly inside the World Showcase EPCOT turnstiles; the turnstiles that lead to the Boardwalk Inn and Yacht and Beach Club. I've always wondered what that was!

ransam
08-29-2009, 12:43 PM
i went there w/ my brother...
It was really cool. they also had a really cool parade. can't t hink of the name of it. maybe the Tapestry of Nations? it was really cool as well. i went back w/ my sisster and really hoped they still did the parade, i t hink she would have loved it.

GrumpyFan
08-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Millenium Village was awesome! I only went once, but there was so much to see and do in there, and talking to the cast members working in there from the representative country's was neat as well. I was sad to see it go away. I really wish they could've kept it going in some way, even if not on the same scale. It would be nice to see a pavillion that would rotate countrys every so often.

If you Google, "Epcot Millenium Village" there are several good sites with pictures and information about it. Worth a look!

tinksmom02
08-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I really wish they could've kept it going in some way, even if not on the same scale. It would be nice to see a pavillion that would rotate countrys every so often.

I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread...the cost for "creating" a new permanent county might be prohibitive to many countries, but maybe a year-long temporary county (or something to that effect) residing in that space would be more welcome. ??