PDA

View Full Version : Why cant we all love Disney

Itchy
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Just got back from Disney with family.

My ex-wife and I went to spend time with the grandkids. I guess I assumed ( I hate doing that ) My daughter and family would be excited as my ex and I were about the vacation.

Well I found out real quick that all that they wanted to do was sit in the room or in the pool.

I could have gotten them a room off property for a lot less and sent them to McDonalds for a lot less.

Well my ex and I just decided that we would salvage what we could and we went to the parks and what ever by ourselves.

There will be a lot of thought before I spring for a trip for them in the future.

Sorry for the venting but I had to get it off my chest. Thank god for all of the good folks on intercot who will listen.

Tinksalot
08-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm so sorry your trip turned out they way. How old are your grandchildren? If they are young, I can't imagine them not wanting to go to the parks. Our grandchildren love going.

Itchy
08-25-2009, 06:15 PM
The grandkids are all girls starting with a 1yr old who loved the characters, a 4yr old who wanted nothing to do with characters but loved some of the rides, and a 14 yr old who really did not get excited about a lot.

SBETigg
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow, I'm sorry. That must have been a real disappointment. I love that you and your ex still went to the parks, though. So great that you get along! My parents are divorced and my mom is remarried, but I feel so blessed that they're still close friends and we do holidays and family events all together. So kudos to you and the ex!

And honestly, I'm glad that not everyone loves WDW, because it's crowded enough. But, it's really sad when it's your own family not loving it. You have an understanding support group right here. :hug:

Donald
08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear about them bumming out of the trip. I wonder if the 14yr. old would have had more fun if her mother wasn't around. It is amazing how different a child can be when they are not being influenced by their parent.;)

Itchy
08-25-2009, 07:16 PM
I dont know if being away from her mother would have made a difference as this was the plan that my ex and I had was to try to get her away with us.

I commented to her mother that she seem to be jealous of her little sisters as they were getting all of the attention.

I think that we had a 14 yr old trying to be a 4 yr old and it wasnt working.

We were hoping for a better outcome but it just didnt happen.

All I can say is we tried..

Tink1
08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh No, Itchy! How disappointing. I know a few people who do not care for Disney, but I always attributed it to the fact they did not bother to plan for it. You know the routine and were there to help and your family still didn't seem to "get" it.

Who knows why we love it so and others don't?

Nanc

betteratmk
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
:confused::mad: we had the same experience with family this spring when we went, 1:00 and they were looking for breakfast!!! then they didn't bother to go to the parks. I said we could have taken them to the beach .

TheVBs
08-26-2009, 08:31 AM
What a shame! :( I would have made the same assumption you did. It's great that you and your ex made the best of it anyway.

divinedi
08-26-2009, 11:53 AM
That's so sad, and what a waste:(! At least you got go enjoy DW yourself, the rest of your family's loss. And kudos on getting along with your ex:number1:, when my ex and I split the big thing that we agreed on was that we would remain friends, if for the the kids if nothing else, but we're still friends! We took our kids to Disney when they were mid-teens, but our kids love Disney:cloud9:!!

At least you can say you tried, and will know better in the future.

It'sWDW4me
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Such a huge bummer. I'm so sorry that your trip didn't turn out the way you had hoped it would. :(

Mousemates
08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Sorry things didn't work out the way you hoped they would...perhaps the age differences came into play a bit more than you expected...its hard to simultaneously please a four and fourteen year old....especially if the 14 year old has hit one of those spots where she thinks its "not cool" to get excited about doing anything.

Granny Jill A
08-26-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your grandkids didn't enjoy Disney as much as you and your ex-wife had hoped they would. We hope that our enthusiasm will "infect" others, but sometimes people are determined not to have a good time. ;)

When I took my older sister to WDW, I was treated to a steady stream of gripes about food, the crowds, the rides, the weather, the cost of everything, etc., etc. I was so discouraged by her attitude that all I wanted to do was get her home and be done with it.

I'm going to try again and take her with me in November. I've told myself that she controls whether or not she has a good time. I am not responsible. :D

IloveDisney71
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your trip. I know people who just "don't get Disney" and would rather have a tooth pulled than go to Disney. I don't get it, but I guess every has their own idea of a good time. I love everything about Disney. :mickey: I'm glad you got to enjoy some of the parks anyway.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
08-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Next time you and your ex can bring Me, DH, and our 2 DD's with you! We promise to have a GREAT time, keep you laughing and be very appreciative!

Itchy
08-27-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear that your grandkids didn't enjoy Disney as much as you and your ex-wife had hoped they would. We hope that our enthusiasm will "infect" others, but sometimes people are determined not to have a good time. ;)

When I took my older sister to WDW, I was treated to a steady stream of gripes about food, the crowds, the rides, the weather, the cost of everything, etc., etc. I was so discouraged by her attitude that all I wanted to do was get her home and be done with it.

I'm going to try again and take her with me in November. I've told myself that she controls whether or not she has a good time. I am not responsible. :D

Well! This was the second trip for this family. Only the last time it was only with the one grand daughter she was 10 then.
It was no different then than this time. I blamed the last time on her step father ( he is totally not disney ) so I would not place my hopes to high on having a good time.

My grand daughter just could not get it other than wanting a few autographs, a couple of rides, and go to the hotel to swim. Heck I could have done that at 6 flags for a lot less.

I hope the best for your next visit with your sister, but please dont set the sights to high or you may have a big let down.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-27-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm sorry the trip was a disappointment to you but I'm glad you were still able to have fun. I guess some people don't realize they are responsible for their own fun. If they had set their minds to it, they would have had a fantastic time. You tried, and that's what counts.

Jim&AngieMarriner
09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry you had a bad time.

But to be honest I am just impressed that you went anywhere with your EX. I couldnt do that. We dont hate each other or anything but I couldnt spend time with her like that and deffiantely not without the kids.

tinksmom02
09-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry your family didn't catch the Disney bug, although I'm jealous that you and your ex can get along so well. After my parents divorced, they could barely sit in the same room together--I'm talking graduations, one's on one side of the auditorium, and one's on the other, and they still don't get along LOL

Like someone else said, my family would be happy to stand in for yours anytime you'd like to take us! ;)

gueli
09-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I commend you on a lot of levels.
Keeping friendly with the ex.
Paying for a vacation with family.

Before you attempt to do something like this again, please talk to your daughter, son in law and the kids.
It would seem that you probably did. Some people just don't geet it. Don't try to 'force it' again. Speak to them about what way they want to spend a trip with you and your ex. Come up with a plan. And I am sure you will have many wonderful vacations with the family both in disney (you and your ex) and out (you daughter. I always say communication is key.

And PS, anytime you want, my DD7 has a great appreatiation for all things disney :D, feel free to invite us along.:mickey:

Little Round Bale
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Itchy, sorry about the trip but it was a trip. We had this issue with my sister and her family. They wanted to swim, the rest of us could not wait to get to the park. My DS also complainted the whole time. In my case I could take my daughter into the park and enjoy. We decided it was our vacation also.

But, as crazy as it sounds we would all go down together again. :crazy:

It is aggreivating when your are footing the bill.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I don't understand it either...I'm starting to think there is a Disney gene...I definitely have it and so does my son...my mom and sis love it too but not as much as we do...