PDA

View Full Version : Ellen's Energy Adventure at Epcot

Gregandmel
08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
I was wondering if this was something a lot of people go see and what your thoughts were on it? We will be visiting next Spring and when we went to WDW last October, we didn't see this. We will have 2 boys ages 10 & 19 so wondered what your thoughts were. Looks like it's about 45 minutes long and wondered if it would keep their attention?? Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
We've done this more than once and personally we like it. Ellen and Bill Nye are funny and the moving seats are fun. I think it is very entertaining and educational for your boys. My kids are 10 and 12 and asked to see it again after they saw it the first time. Plus, it is a nice dark, cool place to rest on a hot day. :fan:

renecat
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
If your going next spring and it's hot it could be a nice place to go and take a break and get out of the heat for awhile. It's about the big bang theory. It's cute but if you don't have the extra time I would skip it for soarin, test track, mission space, tutle talk Your children would perfer them it is very long.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-25-2009, 01:55 PM
We did this for the first time in December and I loved it. The only negatives I can say is that there are animated dinosaurs that could possibly scare little ones and the ride is 45 minutes long...that could be a plus if its hot and you want a nice air conditioned break though:)

Daisy'sMom
08-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Don't skip it, it is very entertaining and very educational. Your kids just might learn something. If one of my children learn just one thing, it's worth it.:mickey:

Loweschevy
08-25-2009, 03:02 PM
We always ride it. Sure it is a little hokey, but still a nice way to burn time waiting for the fast pass window or to beat the heat.

vws_and_disney
08-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I have a really really hard time paying attention to many things and i actually enjoyed this. the begining is a little slow, but it picks up. As stated many times it is nice to be off your feet for a little while and out of the heat.

disneykid99
08-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Our family agrees with the other posters - don't skip it. :thumbsup: We all enjoy it (kids are 6 and 9). Our kids are very entertained and yours could even be more so since they are older.

My tip for this ride would be: potty before you go. It is a long ride and our DS (4 at the time) had to "go" shorty after we got on the ride. He made it through the whole ride and half the long run to the restrooms after but did not quite make it all the way to the restrooms. He ended up with a nice new pair of Mickey sweat pants after that ride:blush:
But -You should not have this problem with older kids.;)

Stu29573
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I really like it. Unfortunately on our last trip we watched the intro movie, lined up to go in to the ride and then...nothing. The CM said that it had just broken down and we needed to check back later. We never got the chance. Bummer!:(

Brer Mickey
08-25-2009, 03:32 PM
My youngest is 17 and this is his favorite non-thrill ride attraction at Epcot. It is a great way to cool off for a while as others have mentioned, and your kids will definately learn something about energy.

Don't miss it!

Imagineer1981
08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Its a great show, yes its long, but its fun to try at least once. Is it a MUST SEE, no, but its a great break from the heat and entertaining

bcornette
08-25-2009, 03:39 PM
I have mixed feelings about it, Ellen and Bill Nye are good, the dinosaurs are good, but I have fundamental issues with the Big Bang THEORY being told like it's factual.
So depending on you, your family, and your beliefs it's your call. The A/C is awesome on hot days though.
I just did not like having to get into those conversations with my young children and having them question what they have been taught in church and home while on vacation.

Luckily on the same day we went to the Candlelight Processional and that helped bring things back to where my wife and I want them.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
We really like Ellen!

It is actually quite funny and entertaining, and DD (now 11) has always liked it, she's never complained about being bored or having to go see it.

It is long, so it is a great afternoon break, when the parks are hot and crowded. We don't miss it on our trips!

LuvDaDuckMost
08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Don't skip it. It is very entertaining and most boys like big loud dinosaurs so you should be fine. Also they may learn a few things about energy and how it is made. As for the Big bang theory...there is nothing being told that they won't hear in science class at school or later in college. :thumbsup:

TKDONALD
08-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Even though it has changed from its original form, its still a classic and you should never pass it up. Its the last one still standing in in EPCOT.

Jason

SFTrny
08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
This is one of the GREATEST rides at EPCOT. Traditional Disney style. Mixed media, storyline, dark ride with animatronics. OH...and DINOSAURS! You can't beat that! You have to go on this ride. It is fantastic and unique!

JPL
08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I enjoy the attraction but usually don't see it every trip. It is a great place to escape the heat and or rain especially those passing summer showers :thumbsup:

BIGDOG
08-25-2009, 07:02 PM
I recommend this ride around 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon just outside the ride only place at epcot that sells a really good ICE COFFEE and every time I go there I fall asleep 20min power nap....then wake up when seats start to move again over all excellent ride and is a classic.. but the coffee at the little booth is really good ... can't under stand why I fall asleep

Snow's Mom
08-25-2009, 07:54 PM
We really don't like Ellen! Sorry, I had to put that in there. We skipped it last time because it's so long we couldn't fit it in and also because...well, DH is not an Ellen fan. We'll do it again someday. Maybe. The dinosaurs are pretty cool.

TheVBs
08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I definitely think it's worth doing. We don't do it everytime, but if you haven't seen it and have time for it - go for it! :mickey:

Pixie Power
08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Our family loves it! We try to do it at least once each trip, if not twice. :thumbsup:

CaptSmee
08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I enjoy it very much but have a hard time staying awake on a 40 minute attraction where you are sitting in air conditioning! I think it's a fun attraction though. :mickey:

ransam
08-26-2009, 02:14 AM
I am surprised how many positive results are on here. I mean i love it...and wouldn't miss it. but i can see why others may not like it.

sainter
08-26-2009, 02:28 AM
I have to say I really like the story line and the moving seats and big dinosaurs are pretty neat. And the time out of the heat is very welcome at times. BUT I agree with a previous poster, I don't appreciate that the big bang theory is presented as proven fact.

UrbanDonovan
08-26-2009, 05:22 AM
I have mixed feelings about it, Ellen and Bill Nye are good, the dinosaurs are good, but I have fundamental issues with the Big Bang THEORY being told like it's factual.
So depending on you, your family, and your beliefs it's your call. The A/C is awesome on hot days though.
I just did not like having to get into those conversations with my young children and having them question what they have been taught in church and home while on vacation.

Luckily on the same day we went to the Candlelight Processional and that helped bring things back to where my wife and I want them.

There is nothing in the "Big Bang Theory" that clashes with Creationism. In fact, the BBT, in a way, is a proof for Creationism. Check out The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel. Awesome, eye-opening read.

Melanie
08-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Moderator Warning -

I can see this starting to veer from the OPs original question, so please keep discussion to the attraction only.

Thanks!

Belster
08-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Did this for teh first time 2 trips ago and I wont miss it again. We LOVE it!!!!

Ellen...welll Ellen come on she is top notch. And the moving seats were a wonderful surprise.

Your children will enjoy it!

Bass T-bone
08-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I liked the pre-Ellen version better, but all in all a very good ride.

bruin1344
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
sorry to be overly negative but i rate it the worst ride in disney, its so boring, too long, outdated, and i dont find ellen funny, i doubt i will go in it again unless the cut the time down by 30 minutes.

lightyearfan
08-27-2009, 01:55 PM
well if you use the rule that me and dw use, when in WDW do it all, this is a nice attraction, and is much better since they updaed it, you'll enjoy it, plus as posted previously it gets you out of the heat for a while

Victor

sisterdisco
08-27-2009, 06:29 PM
I guess I am in the minority here but I HATE Ellen's Energy Adventure. DH likes it and so we went 2 weeks ago. When we came out I said "well that's 45 minutes of my life I'll never get back". It's the only attraction a really dislike at WDW.

KatrinaJ91
08-27-2009, 06:34 PM
We love this ride and do it everytime we are there! I like the way they incorporate the whole dream sequence and Ellen is funny.

MaxPower
08-28-2009, 02:24 AM
This attraction is enjoyable if you have never seen it once. Repeat visits could be boring to some. We always go to get out of the heat. And we always try to be the last ones in so that we can sit in our own row in the back. Once the theater rows start moving, we take off our shoes which is a fantastic thing after walking for hours.

wishiniwasthere
08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
I guess I can't really give an opinion on this ride, because honestly, I have NEVER made it through without falling asleep. :sleepin: I think I use it more of a place to cool off and rest my feet. I do know I do not like the beginning. Very boring. I have been awake for the dinosaurs, and they are enjoyable. Other than that, I honestly can't tell you much about it.

thrillme
08-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I like it because it's a welcome break from standing in line or dealing with the heat.

I've seen it so much I'm a little worn of it but if you haven't done it before it's kinda neat.

The biggest and bestest plus is that it is a WONDERFUL break...without taking the time to catch the bus go back to the hotel and then come back.

crltkcagle
08-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I hate this ride!!! Sorry but I get dragged on it every trip because my kids loved it and I usually end up sleeping through the whole thing!

Meteora
08-29-2009, 01:37 PM
I really like this attraction--I love both Ellen and Bill Nye, and think the movie is extremely well done, cute and funny and entertaining, and also factual and informative.

That being said, it's starting to get on in years. Some of the information conveyed is a behind the times. And I've always been vastly underwhelmed by the "Ellen" audioanimatronic figure, which I think looks nothing like Ellen.

However, given Epcot's track record with re-doing attractions, I would really worry about what might come to replace this if/when it is redone. I just don't think there's any besting Ellen and Nye as a combination, though an updated film would certainly be nice.

Jezzup
08-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Is this ride okay for a 4 year old boy? If he were to start freaking out, can we get off once it starts?

garymacd
08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
I love Ellen's Adventure.

I just wish:

The seats were padded,
They leaned back more, and
The seat backs were higher!

:sleepin:

Maybe it should come with ear plugs so no one hears me snoring.

Daddy Mouse
08-29-2009, 06:47 PM
We enjoy the attraction. The storyline is well a little hokey "Stupid Ellen, that's what we called her in college." The information is educational and entertaining. Yes it does get one out of the heat for 45 minutes. "Stupid Judy!" I still would like to see Einstein pull through in the future. After all time is relative.

jenperich
08-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Is this ride okay for a 4 year old boy? If he were to start freaking out, can we get off once it starts?

As far as I know, once you're in the moving seats, you can't get off. I'm quite sure you could in an emergency situation, but it's very dark in the ride.

I happen to love this ride. But I do think the movie is a little boring after you've seen it once or twice. But we always go back!

Hull-onian
08-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Ellen's Energy Ride is awesome!!!! We never miss it.:thumbsup:

disneykid99
08-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Jezzup - my then four year old loved this ride.

I suggest making a restroom break before the ride even if no one has to go - it could prevent an accident:blush:

brownie
08-31-2009, 08:58 AM
The preshow Jeopardy dream movie with Ellen is okay, but I enjoy the ride. I like to watch the ride vehicles in the theaters separate and come back together.

kemps@wdw
08-31-2009, 11:38 PM
It's not a must-do for us, but we like it. Ellen, Bill, and Jamie leigh are funny. It's dark and cool, and, believe it or not, fairly interesting.(for some of us). If you have time, I would recommend it.:thumbsup:

Laughin' place
09-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Im pleasantly surprised to see some many positive comments. Im not a big Ellen fan, but I really do enjoy the attraction. I have seen so many slam the attraction on other threads, I thought I was gonna have to jump on and try to persuade you to give it a try.
Are there some attractions I like less than others?....yes. But I would urge anyone to try ANY attraction once. Last June I took my two new sons (15 and 13 at the time) (they had never been to WDW), who often have different tastes and sensibilities than I and my two "old" sons. I was constantly surprised by their reactions to attractions. If time permits, please give everything a chance, and then decide. ENJOY:number1:

Tigerinvestigator
09-06-2009, 02:18 AM
I agree with most of the posters, don't miss it. It doesn't seem like 45mins because it is broken up into several short segments!:thumbsup:

jenny1976
09-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi, to answer your question...Well, if he is affraid of the dark or loud noises, I would actually put it off a bit, or warn him ahead, as it can get noisy and very dark. Other than that, it CAN be fun for him. Boys that age like dinosaurs and can get a kick out of the animatronics.
It is up to you, either way, ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Marilyn Michetti
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I lOVE the attraction. We first saw it in 1983, and our pre-teen thought it was really cool. Being history, it's hard to call it outdated, but the seats are a bit uncomfortable.

Jamie Lee Curtis looks like a teen-ager on this one.:thumbsup: