PDA

View Full Version : Not using Park Hoppers, can you visit a second park?

ktm
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
If you are going for 4 nights, but want to visit 2 parks 1 day, can you buy 5 night tickets and use the extra day on 1 day to visit both MK and AK? I think I have done this before, but can't remember.

Seasonscraps
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Nope. If you want to go to two parks on the same day using a magic your way ticket, you have to purchase the park hopper option.

There is no way Disney would leave a loophole like that in their system - it's not to their benefit.

ktm
08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
So if you try to use your tickets at a second park, they say, you are already ticketed to MK, if you want to visit, need to buy hoppers?

tink'72
08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
I've always purchased just the base ticket and was able to go to multiple parks in one day. This just uses an additional day on your passes.

For example I would buy a 10 day pass and for the most part only use 8 days and on numerous occasions would hit 2 parks in one day. Unless this has changed you should be able to do this just with the understanding it will use an entire day on your passes.

BMan62
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
No. Not since the inception of the MYW ticket. If you want to go to two parks, you either have to get Park Hoppers or buy another full price ticket.

That is how they can lower the pricing per day for longer stays.

magicofdisney
08-25-2009, 12:48 PM
So if you try to use your tickets at a second park, they say, you are already ticketed to MK, if you want to visit, need to buy hoppers?
Yes, this is exactly what will happen. I saw it happen last year. A family was trying to enter AK but they'd already used their ticket that day at another park (one ticket holds all your days). They were denied entrance into the AK on those particular set of tickets.

The only way they would have been allowed in at the point would have been to upgrade to hopper passes or buy a single, one day ticket for each family member.

Imagineer1981
08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
well, as everyone has said, you must add park hopper or buy a full priced ticked. It would be cheaper to add the hopper

ANG
08-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I just booked our trip today.

With our military appreciation package, we get a 5-day pass for each. But we'll only be there 3 days. The travel agent said it would be cheaper to get the 5-day base ticket rather than the park hopper option. She said we got just enter 2 parks a day (using 2 tickets) the first 2 days we're there.

joonyer
08-25-2009, 04:26 PM

With our military appreciation package, we get a 5-day pass for each. But we'll only be there 3 days. The travel agent said it would be cheaper to get the 5-day base ticket rather than the park hopper option. She said we got just enter 2 parks a day (using 2 tickets) the first 2 days we're there.

You travel agent told you WRONG. Better call back and get in straightened out. You will not be allowed to enter more than one park per day on a multiday MYW pass UNLESS you have purchased the park hopper option. Trust us on this board, you will get turned away at your second park without a hopper option. Your only option then will be to upgrade your passes. Might as well do it now.

CleveRocks
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
If you are going for 4 nights, but want to visit 2 parks 1 day, can you buy 5 night tickets and use the extra day on 1 day to visit both MK and AK? I think I have done this before, but can't remember.No, can't be done.

Yes.

If you have a base ticket and you enter Magic Kingdom, you will NOT be permitted to enter, for example, Epcot later that same day using that same ticket.

In this example, the Epcot turnstile will not unlock. On the guest side there is a one-line alphanumeric display, and it will say something like "access denied" or "crossover not permitted." On the cast member greeter side of the turnstile, there is a 2-line alphanumeric display that will tell the CM why access was denied, as well as other info about the ticket. The CM will advise you that you can't enter unless you go to a ticket window and upgrade your ticket to include the park hopper option.

I've always purchased just the base ticket and was able to go to multiple parks in one day. This just uses an additional day on your passes.

For example I would buy a 10 day pass and for the most part only use 8 days and on numerous occasions would hit 2 parks in one day. Unless this has changed you should be able to do this just with the understanding it will use an entire day on your passes.This changed with the Magic Your Way ticketing system, which was introduced on January 2, 2005, although "old" tickets booked in 2004 for 2005 resort packages were still valid and accepted throughout 2005.

I promise you, you have never had a base MYW ticket and gained access to 2 parks in a single day. This is one of the hallmarks of the MYW ticketing system. The 4th day costs only $6, and the fifth through 10th days cost only $3 each ... but Disney charges $52 for the park hopper option. No one would be dumb enough to pay so much for the park hopper if they could just spend 3 or 6 bucks more for a few extra days' tickets.

The main thing to understand about MYW tickets is that you are buying DAYS, not ADMISSIONS. A 5-day base ticket gives someone 5 DAYS of 1-park admissions. It does not buy 5 ADMISSIONS to be used "whenever."

I know this is all terribly complicated and it doesn't necessarily add up to "common sense," but it is the way Disney designed it.

With our military appreciation package, we get a 5-day pass for each. But we'll only be there 3 days. The travel agent said it would be cheaper to get the 5-day base ticket rather than the park hopper option. She said we got just enter 2 parks a day (using 2 tickets) the first 2 days we're there.As joonyer just said, your travel agent is WRONG. I know it seems weird to trust strangers from Georgia and New Jersey instead of trusting someone who makes a living selling travel, but in this case your TA is wrong and joonyer and I are right.

caryrae
08-25-2009, 06:07 PM
If you could use 2 days on a ticket to hop no one would buy the Hopper option. Do you think Disney would really let you buy a 6 day pass for $231 letting you go to 2 parks a day for 3 days instead of buying a 3 day ticket with hopper option for $271, why would anyone buy the hopper option?

Daisy'sMom
08-25-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd get a new travel agent!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-25-2009, 06:14 PM
:ditto: I'm sorry you got incorrect information! Hope you can get it sorted before your trip.

magicofdisney
08-26-2009, 12:25 AM
...but in this case your TA is wrong and joonyer and I are right.
Along with everyone else who made these same statements before you. :mickey:

08-26-2009, 12:43 AM

Doesn't work that way. At the second park it will come up as "cross-over denied" on the CM side of the turnstile display and the only way to "change" it is to go to Guest Relations and add the park hopper.

I can assure that this is correct as I work turnstiles at MK and turn away groups all the time that try to do multiple parks on the one day ticket. You cannot use more than 1 day per day of your tickets.

TheRustyScupper
08-26-2009, 09:28 AM
WDW will not let you substitute a $3 ticket for a $50 hopper.

buzznwoodysmom
08-26-2009, 09:59 AM

With the military discounted ticket the mililtary person in your group will have the hopper included in their free ticket. The rest of the group can add the hopper for just $25.oo per ticket. Its not that expensive and will save you the headache of getting there and being turned away.

Goes4FastPass
08-26-2009, 02:48 PM
There's a sort of kind of exeption to all this:

If you have tickets to a hard ticketed event like MNSSHP or MVMCP you can certainly visit another park on the same day as the party day. Foe example, You could spend the day at AK using your non-hopping MYW admission then spend the evening at the special event at the MK. No problemo.

mousetrapper
08-26-2009, 07:09 PM
I just have to say it...

I love Intercot! The best WDW information source bar-none...

:D

ransam
08-26-2009, 11:25 PM
getting a park hopper isn't all that much more expenseive is it? i always get ti, i just like the flexibility.

sainter
08-27-2009, 02:18 AM
getting a park hopper isn't all that much more expenseive is it? i always get ti, i just like the flexibility.

It's about $50.

TheRustyScupper
08-27-2009, 08:51 AM

It's about $50.

1) For a family of four, that is a lot of bucks.
2) We don't hop anymore.
3) $200 goes a long way for food or souvenirs.