PDA

View Full Version : Crane over the castle

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
As in a hydraulic crane, not the bird! We were at the Magic Kingdom Saturday and I was surprised to see a big crane overshadowing the castle from one side. From it dangled a basket from which a couple of workers appeared to be painting part of the front of the castle. I realize that regular maintenance of the structures at the parks is necessary, I guess I was just surprised to see it going on in the middle of the day. Didn't they used to do this type of work at night?

laprana
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I read on another site a couple days ago that the crane is there so they can start putting up the Christmas lights on the castle. Seems kind of early to me, but it probably is a really big job and the holiday season at WDW is just around the corner! :mickey:

tink'72
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Yup they are starting to string the lights!

GothMickey
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes, they are stringing up the lights. But, the castle is also scheduled for some sort of maintenance once the lights are installed.

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Of course, the Christmas lights--I had forgotten about that! So how long does it take to put the lights up on the whole castle?

Christine
08-25-2009, 01:21 PM
They're almost done...in the past week we've seen them cover almost all of the tourets (sp?)

Ed
08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
CM's were told it will be done by the 27th.

But it won't be lit up until November.

CaptainSad
08-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I think they are about to put up the Osbourne Lights also.

Tinkerbella16
08-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Yay the Castle lights!!

The Castle is breathtaking when those lights get turned on, I got some really cool pics last year. This will be the 3rd year we'll be there to see the castle lit up like that. I love it!!

:mickey:

Gator
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
It seems like cranes are there each time I go. It sure did mess up pics of the castle on my 2006 trip. I also saw them refurbishing at Splash Mountain and building Soarin' in 2004. Not my favorite site, but at least Disney is building and repairing as needed.

prprincess
08-25-2009, 05:02 PM
It seems like cranes are there each time I go. It sure did mess up pics of the castle on my 2006 trip.That was going to be my next question. Will they be noticable in photos? I'll be there the first week of November, so they'll probably all be up by then.

JohnnyNovo
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
I believe in one of the tours we took, they told us it took 2 months to put up all the lights for the holiday season.

Melanie
08-25-2009, 07:54 PM
So I guess the Osborne Lights will start going up soon as well. :tree:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I read on another site a couple days ago that the crane is there so they can start putting up the Christmas lights on the castle. Seems kind of early to me, but it probably is a really big job and the holiday season at WDW is just around the corner! :mickey:

:woohoo: Yay! So excited to hear! Can't wait to see them again. Prettiest thing in the world!

JPL
08-25-2009, 09:13 PM
So I guess the Osborne Lights will start going up soon as well. :tree:

Osbourne should have started going up a few weeks ago:thumbsup:

coneygoil
08-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I've been in MK when there was a crane next to the castle. Then the next day it was gone!

SurferStitch
08-26-2009, 09:02 AM
We were there once while the crane was up. I Photoshopped the crane out of the photos.

I can't wait to see the castle dripping with icy lights again! We saw it in 2007, and it was amazing. :cloud9:

eam
08-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Then the next day it was gone!

WHAT?!! THE CASTLE'S GONE?!!

Hope it's back by our November trip. I'd have to put on my angry eyes.

chrisb26
08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
As others have said the crane is putting up the lights for Christmas. They are actually almost done and unless your looking hard you wont really notice the lights on the castle there are a few spots where it is more noticeable that they are there but for the most part you can't really see them. As for the crane it is supposed to be down by 4:00 PM every day so if you want pictures of the castle without that crane try and take them after 4:00 and you should be able to get a picture.

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2009, 02:11 PM
As others have said the crane is putting up the lights for Christmas. They are actually almost done and unless your looking hard you wont really notice the lights on the castle there are a few spots where it is more noticeable that they are there but for the most part you can't really see them. As for the crane it is supposed to be down by 4:00 PM every day so if you want pictures of the castle without that crane try and take them after 4:00 and you should be able to get a picture.The day we were there (a Saturday) the crane was up until at least 6 p.m. They did retract it by the time Spectromagic and Wishes went on.

mousetrapper
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
There was a great TV special a while ago - Travel Channel I think - that talked about how WDW gets ready for the holidays. They did say that they start putting up lights in August! Amazing, but think of how many lights - between the Castle and Osborne and every place in between! They also talked about the ginger bread house at GF, which was also fascinating...

Can't wait to be back in a few months!! :cloud9:

Marceline
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
:sad: All this talk of lights and Christmas makes me wish I would have booked a December trip this year. I can't believe I will be there is 17 days, the lights will be up....but not on. :(

Oh well, gotta see what this whole September thing is all about. Good thing December comes around every year!! :santa3: