PDA

View Full Version : Boma's and Tony's Town Square

coneygoil
08-25-2009, 08:52 AM
We're thinking about eating at Boma's and Tony's Town Square for the first time. How are they? Will it be worth it? How is the atmosphere and service?

Menai2WDW
08-25-2009, 09:29 AM
I can't comment on Boma until after our October trip when will will try it for the first time.:yay:

Tony's Town Square gets some terrible reviews but we enjoyed it both times we have eaten there. My observations are:

The food isn't great but it isn't bad either.
The service can be a little hurried.
The location is great.
It is a good option if you want table service in Magic Kingdom.
If you have the time to go to some of the monorail resorts you will find better dining experiences

vicster
08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Boma is a must for us every trip! Can't comment on Tony's as we haven't eaten there.

NJGIRL
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
We went to Boma for breakfast and really liked it. But didn't like their fruit punch:sick:

Tony's is the only meal we had at any Disney location that I can say was just plain bad.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
We ate at Boma's in December and thought it was okay-my family's not a big fan of curry...would consider eating there again, but not a must do .

We ate at Tony's and thought the food was awful and would not go back.

mousetrapper
08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
I wish they would overhaul Tony's - it has such great potential but it just misses the mark. Food is not outstanding, and the service is cursory at best.

It is in such a great location though, and the Lady and the Tramp theming could be emphasized so much more.

Before we went the first time years ago, I imagined the restaurant would be similar to the one depicted in the movie - fun, old-school Italian restaurant complete with red checkered tablecloths and wine bottle candles and a boisterous chef/proprietor character who would go from table to table telling funny stories in a thick Italian accent and maybe a strolling violinist or accordian player...and the food would be big bowls of the best spaghetti and meatballs you ever ate, with extra long noodles for sharing with that special someone, of course!

But alas, Tony's is just ordinary.

SBETigg
08-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I love Boma! Start with the soups, yum! So many good things to try, and good service and only average atmosphere in Boma but it's fun to look around the AKL.

Ms. Mode
08-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Can't say about Boma even though we stayed at AK last year we didn't eat there.

Tony's we have eaten at twice. The first time in 2006 it was GREAT...last year....not so great. If you eat there stick with the pasta :thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
08-25-2009, 12:44 PM
We would highly recommend Boma - great service and wonderful food. It's a must-do for us most trips.

Tony's is a place we have gone to a couple times, but the experiences were so-so. We have not been back for years because even my kids were luke-warm to wanting to go back.

renecat
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
When you think Tony's think of cheap Italian food only very expensive for the quality you get. Service is slow especially if you are in a group that they will add the tip on for your table. Would not go back to many other places that are much better.

DisneyHoneymooners
08-25-2009, 02:34 PM
We ate at Tony's a few years ago before the MNSSHP because it was convenient...it was also pretty forgettable. Not bad but not good either.
We've had both breakfast and dinner at Boma's and thought both of them were excellent. A great variety.

darthmacho
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Went to Boma for dinner. It's worth a trip there just to see the AKL anyway, but Boma is a wonderful restaurant. I wish I could fit it in on next year's vacation, but I probably won't have time.

Great food, a very unique menu, and a must try for all.

Our experience at Tony's was a touch disappointing. Our food was okay and our waiter aloof. I'm not saying it is a bad place, just that our one meak there wasn't as special as most of our over-the-top great experiences at other restaurants in WDW. I'd give it another try some day. it's in a great location after all! :mickey:

mousetrapper
08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Got so carried away with my imagineering of Tony's that I forgot to comment on Boma's! :D

Boma's is one of my all-time favorite restaurants. There are so many dishes to choose from - some very unusual but all extremely delicious - plus the atmosphere of the AKL is spectacular.

If you go, make sure you factor in enough time to explore the breathtaking lobby and perhaps have a drink in the bar lounge area.

mainemajor
08-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Just got back and Boma was GREAT! I had 4 of the soups and DW had the other and they were all fantastic. DS and I loved the roast. It had a very tasty rub. Yum! There was one woman who was looking forward to a soup they were not offering that night, but one of the chefs went out back and got her a bowl of it. Just another way of going the extra mile for a customer.
To end it all we enjoyed more than a few Zebra Domes among several other desserts.

Belle_0717
08-26-2009, 08:40 AM
DH & I love Boma. We took the family there last year for dinner and there was something for everyone. DNephew loved the white/sweet potato mashed and we even tried to make it when we got home. The breakfast is delicious there was well. Would love to go back this trip but we will be a little short on time.

As far as Tony's goes, we have only had lunch there. We find the earlier the seating the better the food and servers were. The menu has changed a bit since our first meal there in '05 but we still enjoy it. We usually choose the soup/salad & sandwich combo. Give it a try - you never know what you will find.

TheRustyScupper
08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
1) Take Boma.
2) Forget Tony's.

bkfree
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
We love Boma and it is a must for each trip, twice. Once for breakfast and another for dinner.
The soups are great and we fell in love with the coconut rice, ribs and the chicken wings.
My son, ASD, wanted some fries and the waiter had the kitchen cook him up a big batch. They really went the extra mile in making sure we were happy with our meal.
When we were done, they asked if we had any particular favorites and brought us the recipes for those dishes.

Disney4
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
1) Take Boma.
2) Forget Tony's.

Tony's is noisy, the food is lousy and the service is bad. Tried it two times and won't get stuck a third time. We just do CS at MK.

lockedoutlogic
08-26-2009, 04:05 PM
1) Take Boma.
2) Forget Tony's.
Amen, Reverend!

Rosemickey68
08-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Boma's is yummy! My family loves it and make it one of our must eat there places when we go! The atmosphere, food, and staff are all wonderful!

I can't comment on Tony's as we have never eaten there.

Zawadi
08-29-2009, 03:24 AM
Boma is great - we'll be there during our stay at AKL in December. Boma uses a rotating 3 menu system each on for 3-4 days, if my memory is correct. Carrot & Ginger soup is superb and zebradomes satisfy my sweet-tooth :)

DisneyFr33k
08-30-2009, 06:32 AM
I wish they would overhaul Tony's - it has such great potential but it just misses the mark. Food is not outstanding, and the service is cursory at best.

It is in such a great location though, and the Lady and the Tramp theming could be emphasized so much more.

But alas, Tony's is just ordinary.

:ditto: We agree 100%.

Boma, on the other hand, is a can't miss! We've eaten dinner there twice and are impressed with the quality of the food, outstanding service and atmosphere. They do offer distinctly african cuisine, but there is plenty of american dishes out there to satisfy even the most picky of tasts. We always end our day at Animal Kingdom with the short bus ride over the AKL to eat at Boma. If you haven't tried it, you need to!! :eat:

Good luck!

Live4WDW
08-30-2009, 09:03 AM
:mickey: Had breakfast at Boma, and quite a huge selection. The food was awesome, and our server Dilly was outstanding. We will make sure to do breakfast there on our upcoming trips, and will have to try it for dinner also. Have not tried Tony's Town Square.

disneyworld55925592
08-30-2009, 10:45 AM
We have eaten at both and enjoyed them! Boma is a very unique experience its very cool and delicious! Tonys is more your average restaurant but we still enjoy it, its a fun atmoshpere!