PDA

View Full Version : Question About My Baby Boy

mjaclyn
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I have little DS who will be four months old in a few days. I'm extremely worried about him because he goes days at a time with out having a bowel movement. Sometimes he even goes nearly two weeks without one and when he does go it's hardly anything. He is breastfed and normally very happy - he doesn't strain or cry when he goes #2 but when he has gas (which is pretty often) it is VERY smelly. I called the doctor a couple of weeks ago and she said it's normal for a breastfed infant to sometimes do that because they're using all of the nutrients and there is not much left over for his body to get rid of, but I'm still worried. How long is this supposed to last? Does anyone know of something else it could be? Is there some kind of intestinal disease that could cause blockage? He doesn't seem uncomfortable though so I don't think he's in pain at all... any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stitchahula
08-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I think I would bring him to a (GI) doctor. From what I've been told it's not normal to go that long without a BM. My 6 y/o has GI issues where he can go for days or sometimes up to almost 2 weeks also. It probably is nothing but I think it will settle your nerves to know for sure.

medic9016
08-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Call you Pediatrician.

Mousefever
08-24-2009, 09:30 PM
This is not uncommon for an exclusively breast fed baby. I cared for a breast fed baby boy who also did not produce many bowel movements. He was perfectly healthy.

By all means, if you're worried get a second opinion. But I think it's too early to panic.

Amy

Strmchsr
08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
What you are describing is not unheard of for a breastfed child. Both of my sons were for a year and they would often go several days. I don't recall 2 weeks, but I have heard of it. However, if you're uncomfortable and nervous you can call a GI doctor, but you've already checked with your pediatrician and if that doctor isn't concerned then you're probably fine. Normally if there is a problem (especially such as a blockage) there would be other presenting symptoms. If he's growing normally, seems happy and healthy, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Most people these days freak out about this sort of thing because bottle fed is more common and so folks aren't used to differences with breastfed children.

SBETigg
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
My son was breastfed and was the same way. He's now a healthy, fit 18 year old. I think it evened out more when we introduced fruits and veggies to his diet much later. If you've called your pediatrician and she says not to worry, I would take her word for it. If he's still eating, seems happy/normal for him, and isn't showing any other signs of a problem, I wouldn't worry. But you can, as others suggest, seek a second opinion if you would feel more comfortable. Best wishes for your baby boy!

Hair_Razor
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
It may be fine but the last thing you want is for him to have some kind of bowel obstruction. I would absolutely have him checked out just to be on the safe side.

PirateLover
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
How long have you been with your pediatrician? I think one of the most important things you can do is have a pediatrician whom you trust. If you don't trust yours, I'd look for a second opinion.

DizneyRox
08-25-2009, 07:18 AM
I think one of the most important things you can do is have a pediatrician whom you trust. If you don't trust yours, I'd look for a second opinion.
I'll one up you and say if you don't trust your doctor, find another doctor, period...

Emme&TeddysMommy
08-25-2009, 07:43 AM
I had the same issue with both of my breastfeed babies. They also did have sitnky gas. We were never that worried, our doctor told us the same thing. If your worried i know he is still little but you could give him some prunes. This would cause him to be a bit more regular. They come in baby food isle.

crazypoohbear
08-25-2009, 08:41 AM
I think being breastfed this is the norm. If you have faith in your pediatrician and your baby is not showing any other signs of distress, i.e. crying, painful faces, distended stomach etc. then it sounds like the baby is healthy. At 4 months old you will be introducing cereal and other foods shortly and you will notice a change in bowel movements again.
As for the stinky gas, it could be a reaction to what you are eating and passing onto the baby.
peppers, onion, brocolli, all come to mind :blush:

Dakota Rose
08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
My best friend's youngest (who is now 16 mos old) was the exact same way. She often went a week without a BM. They went to the pediatrician and she told my friend not to worry.

If you're concerned, go see the doc or the well-nurse.

:)

mjaclyn
08-25-2009, 10:13 PM
I do trust my pediatrician but when I called, the one I normally see was on vacation so I ended up speaking to a doctor that I had never taken my children to. I'm going to call again when my regular doctor gets back and ask him just to be sure.

IloveJack
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
My LO was the same way, until we introduced solids. If you're overly concerned, give him a little prune juice, or if you're beginning solids, mix some prunes in with his cereal. If he's stopped up, that'll get him moving. :blush: If not, then don't worry about it. BF babies don't react to life the same way all the books say babies do... and you've gotten a lot of good advice in the previous posts.

Also, holding him a lot, and not letting him have tummy time or time to "exercise" can keep him from going. My DD always "stinks it up" when she's down playing by herself.