PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket car warranties

goofyfan4466
08-24-2009, 05:53 PM
has anybody signed up for any of the aftermarket car warranties ? are they ok ? do they cover what they say they cover ? is there small print hidden in these contracts ? i'm looking into maybe getting one for my 1997 expedition.my family loves our florida vehicle ! the ones i have seen advertised on tv are us fidelis , mogi , & us direct. any ifo. good or bad would be appreciated . thank you

It'sWDW4me
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Google US Fidelis. I just did and within 3 minutes found out that there are supposedly more than 1,100 complaints filed with the St. Louis Better Business Bureau.

Even before I looked it up I was convinced these "warranty" companies are sheer scam. Think about it - your vehicle is 12 years old. Very old by most standards and will be nickel and diming you very soon, if not already (yes, I will admit abnormallities do exist and a few vehicles seem to be related to the energizer bunny). Parts & systems will be wearing out. Companies are in business to make money. They're not going to take $2,000 or so from you now and pay for thousands of dollars on repairs - everything will turn out to be "not covered".

As the saying goes - if it seems too good to be true, it is!

Caveat emptor!!

Ian
08-24-2009, 07:23 PM
STAY AWAY!!

Unless you're buying direct from the manufacturer these things are almost always huge rip-offs.

As the previous poster pointed out, a quick Google search will show thousands upon thousands of complaints about these companies.

luvDaMouse
08-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I work for a Ford dealer in North East NJ and I would suggest you steer clear of any Aftermarket Warranty co. We have had many people bring them to us they are a pain to deal with and alot of dealers will not accept them. Go to your nearest Ford dealer they will sell you a Ford Warranty. What they have to do first is a "health check" on your vehicle (there is a charge for this) then you would have to make any repairs that they feel are necessary. Then you can purchase a warranty through them. There are several different kinds, with different mileage, different terms for different prices. It cant hurt to go and ask.
Good luck
Dana

Pirate Granny
08-24-2009, 08:06 PM
YEA DANA...Ford does sell policies for both new and competitive vehicles...and for a various amount of years and mileage...it's called Extended Service Coverage ESC for competitive and Extended Service Plan for Ford vehicles...please check into it...it's reasonable and cost effective...I got my daughter a policy as she lived 2 hours away (it was a used Escape) and I wanted to make sure she had coverage for a rental vehicle as she was single. Worked very well the couple of times she needed it.
:pirate:

goofyfan4466
08-25-2009, 05:45 AM
I work for a Ford dealer in North East NJ and I would suggest you steer clear of any Aftermarket Warranty co. We have had many people bring them to us they are a pain to deal with and alot of dealers will not accept them. Go to your nearest Ford dealer they will sell you a Ford Warranty. What they have to do first is a "health check" on your vehicle (there is a charge for this) then you would have to make any repairs that they feel are necessary. Then you can purchase a warranty through them. There are several different kinds, with different mileage, different terms for different prices. It cant hurt to go and ask.
Good luck
Dana
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! I ALMOST ALWAYS GET MY TRUCK FIXED @ FORD ANYWAY ( PARTS SEEM TO LAST LONGER ). I WILL LOOK INTO THIS VERY SOON . AGAIN THANK YOU !!!