PDA

View Full Version : AT&T SPAM Filters

Goofy4TheWorld
08-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I thought I would share my resent experience with missing emails. The general idea of this post can apply to anyone, but people with Bellsouth(dot)net DSL or dial-up are most directly affected (I'm not sure if all AT&T customers have been moved to the new webmail site.)

Every Bellsouth/AT&T Internet customer should know that AT&T has turned over their webmail service to Yahoo, since they sent us no less than 15 emails reminding us of the upcoming change. What I didn't know was that when the switchover occurred, Yahoo was going to turn on SPAM filtering by default, even if you had previously turned it OFF under the old att(dot)net webmail interface.

Logging into the new Yahoo/AT&T webmail site for the first time is a TERRIBLE pain, they make you do 4 security questions, DOB, password, pass code, blah, blah, blah... so I put it off for as long as I could. When I did finally get access to all of my email accounts on Yahoo's webmail site, I had a ton of SPAM messages (which surprised me because I have always had SPAM filtering turned off) and 100% of them were legitimate emails. I had blocked messages from my mortgage company, my health insurance EOBs, Old Navy account, utility companies, alumni newsletters, and worst of all, 5 blocked messages from Intercot!

If you are now a part of the new AT&T you better go through the hassle of assessing every account you have via webmail, and turn off SPAM filtering. Yahoo is way-to-quick on the trigger to block messages. Like I said, 100% of my "SPAM" messages were not SPAM, but messages from organizations that got thorough the old AT&T SPAM filter just fine.

PS: I use Outlook Express to retrieve my email, so if you normally use webmail to check your email, you see your SPAM folder every time you log in, so you can disregard this post since this is no big deal for you. I, however, never use webmail, so it is extremely rare that I would ever see what was in my SPAM folder.

DizneyRox
08-25-2009, 07:22 AM
I don't bother checking my spam filter. If it's in there, I'd say 9 times out of 10, it IS spam, even if it's from someone you know.

I use gmail for my personal mail, gave up trying to keep ISPs straight and having to switch e-mail whenever they decided to consolidate, etc. Gmail does a great job on spam, I've found Outlook tags more as spam than gmail does, and Outlook is the one wrong more than not.