PDA

View Full Version : First Night Advice

Disney Doll
08-24-2009, 12:40 PM
We arrive in the world on Sept 27th which is a Sunday. We won't be hitting the parks until probably around 4:00 so I figured our time would be better spent at EPCOT or MK since they are open later. However, it's food and wine fest so I'm imagining EPCOT will be crowded especially since it's a weekend evening. We've always stayed away from MK on weekends because of crowds and I'm imagining it might be even worse because of MNSSHP and the limited showings for Spectro and Wishes. So, which would you do Sunday night, EPCOT or MK?

Forgot to add that Sunday is an EMH night for MK. We won't be staying late, but I'm not sure what impact that will have on crowds earlier in the evening.

Seasonscraps
08-24-2009, 12:42 PM
I would probably pick EPCOT because of the Food & Wine Festival. Walking around the World Showcase and getting a few previews sounds like a really nice way to wrap up a travel day.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-24-2009, 01:43 PM
We always go to MK on the first day of our trip, so I'm a little biased!

You could go to MK, just to see Spectro and Wishes, not worrying about any rides, but getting a great viewing place and then leaving.

ransam
08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
i would think you wouldn't want to wear yourself out before you even start.
I always like to get in, relax, maybe go to a nice dinner, see the fireworks...
or just hit it running and see as much as you can...it's all up to you.

Ms. Mode
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
The first year we went to WDW as a family we used our 1/2 day on AK, after that we started spending the first evening at Downtown Disney or Boardwalk so that we don't waste a park ticket for just a few hours.

A Mouse Fan
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, I guess maybe it would depend if you had kids. The Wine & Food Festival is a bit more for grown ups and tends to get VERY crowded at night and on weekends. We were their last year and I swear you almost couldn't walk around it was so crowded!
I think MK would be a great choice. To me I am not at Disney until I see Main Street...especially at night...it's just stunning! Relax and enjoy your first night!

Erin C.
08-25-2009, 12:31 PM
We always start at MK on the first day!!!:thumbsup: We usually check in, unpack and head to the grocery store and then right off to MK!!!

Disney Doll
08-25-2009, 01:03 PM
The first year we went to WDW as a family we used our 1/2 day on AK, after that we started spending the first evening at Downtown Disney or Boardwalk so that we don't waste a park ticket for just a few hours.

We always hit the parks on arrival day. The cost between a 4 day pass and a 5 day pass is just a couple of dollars so we figure we get our money's worth even if it's only a half day.

bruin1344
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
MK will be crowded before EMH begins but the crowds dies down the further in the night it goes. I wouldnt go to MK unless you will take advantage of EMH.

Otherwise, Epcot would be my pick.

Disney Doll
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Well, I guess maybe it would depend if you had kids. The Wine & Food Festival is a bit more for grown ups and tends to get VERY crowded at night and on weekends. We were their last year and I swear you almost couldn't walk around it was so crowded!
I think MK would be a great choice. To me I am not at Disney until I see Main Street...especially at night...it's just stunning! Relax and enjoy your first night!

I know. We were at FWF last year too and it is busy in the evenings. If we did EPCOT we would likely stick around FW and just head to WS for Illuminations. I'm leaning towards MK anyway because we are bringing along newbies and I would love for them to start the trip with MK and Wishes.

Disney Doll
08-25-2009, 01:09 PM
i would think you wouldn't want to wear yourself out before you even start.
I always like to get in, relax, maybe go to a nice dinner, see the fireworks...
or just hit it running and see as much as you can...it's all up to you.

We're not park commandos I swear, BUT after all the waiting and counting down I can't be in the world and not go to the parks. I'm just way too excited one day 1. :blush:

joonyer
08-25-2009, 04:48 PM
It's a tradition for us to always go to MK as our first park whenever we arrive late in the day. Even if we go just to look around, grab a bite to eat and watch wishes (we always through in a few rides too). I don't care if it's crowded due to EMH, MK is always pretty crowded anyway, and we love being in the park after dark. We always start our WDW vacations with Wishes on the first night and end it by seeing it again on our last night there. Watching Wishes and hearing "When You Wish Upon a Star" is my favorite part of every WDW visit.

LudwigVonDrake
09-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I ALWAYS have to spend my first and last night at the Magic Kingdom. Some traditions are important :mickey2:

kemps@wdw
09-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Since we usually drive down (a 14 hr drive), and don't normally arrive til late afternoon, we stay our 1st night in the DTD area. So as not to waist a pass day, we spend our 1st night @ DTD. Do a little shopping, a lite supper, and maybe a little evening pool time. The next AM, we move to our resort EARLY, check our luggage, and head over to MK for our 1st day!

gueli
09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I know. We were at FWF last year too and it is busy in the evenings. If we did EPCOT we would likely stick around FW and just head to WS for Illuminations. I'm leaning towards MK anyway because we are bringing along newbies and I would love for them to start the trip with MK and Wishes.

Keep leaning. :high5:
With the newbies, head to MK and enjoy the magic. :magic:
When you get there, just take your time, wait for EMH or a show, than enjoy what remains of the day.
It will all be good.
:mickey:

ransam
09-07-2009, 12:23 AM
We're not park commandos I swear, BUT after all the waiting and counting down I can't be in the world and not go to the parks. I'm just way too excited one day 1. :blush:

I totally understand...to me sometimes the anticipation is some of the funnest part...to just think of what lays ahead and then hit the park running...
but i do like that first night to explore casue once i hit the parks, i dont' stop!
but if you have to decide what park, you have to start at MK...no way i could plan and plan and then the anticipation, could i start any trip w/o walking down main street.

Mushu11756
09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
My DW and I usually hit MK the first night there but this year we have our son and he is just 23 months as well as my parents. So this year we are going to relax the first night and hit MK first thing in the morning!:mickey:

johnO
09-07-2009, 12:48 PM
We're arriving late in the afternoon and therefore will not head to one of the parks. We'll probably go to DTD or Boardwalk.

MK is always our first park unless there are special circumstances.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Hmmmm, I wonder if we are arriving on the same day! We land on the 26th, which is opening weekend for Food and Wine. While we are completely aware Epcot will be overwhelmed that day, it is always our first park, so yup, when we land, it's Epcot for the rest of the day. We arrive at 11:00AM, so we are hoping to be in the park by 2:00. We'll just endure those crowds that day.

Have a fantastic trip, and a very happy birthday!

coneygoil
09-08-2009, 08:46 AM
If my family gets to WDW in the late afternoon, we usually got to the Marketplace to get that out of the way. Or go resort hopping. It's fun to spend like a hour at a resort then moving on to another one.

How long are you going to stay at WDW? I'm arriving on the 29th and staying till Oct. 3rd.

SignguyTom
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
IMHO you should stop fretting over crowd levels so much. They simply are what they are while you're there. Go with the flow and soak up each moment whether you are in line for Test Track or shoulder to shoulder with 10,00 of you newest friends on Main Street waiting for Wishes. Follow your heart and go where you WANT and don't let the potential crowd levels steer you away. BTW, MK at night is my fave... :thumbsup: