PDA

View Full Version : Exercising In Room With Exposed Insulation

Brian
08-23-2009, 09:15 PM
We have some exercise equipment in our basement. Our basement is unfinished, so there is exposed fiberglass insulation in the ceiling. Are there any health risks with exercising (or doing any other activities) in our basement since it has this exposed insulation?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Brian

BigRedDad
08-24-2009, 08:57 AM
According to the industry experts, fiber glass is safe. For short periods, I have little issue to it. Personally, I would not work out in a room with exposed fiberglass. There are warning labels on the rolls. They say it is not required, but any lawyer knows what that means: since it was labeled with the warning, you are accepting the risks.

To me, insulation needs to be between the walls and not exposed. I may be totally off, but I would not take my chances. I saw first hand how fast lung cancer can attack and kill. It is not something worth it to me.

Scar
08-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. If there were a danger, we would have heard about it. But a simple solution would be to staple some plastic (polyethylene) sheeting to the ceiling.

disneyboundagain
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm no expert, but I sure wouldn't think it would be any worse than asbestos, and asbestos is absolutely harmless unless it is disturbed and the particles become airborne. So, as long as you aren't hitting or otherwise disturbing the fiberglass, I would think you should be fine.