PDA

View Full Version : Make up in the theme parks

marlaine
08-23-2009, 11:36 AM
We go to WDW every Sept. It's very hot and humid. My make up usually melts off in about an hour and a half. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of make up the characters wear. I've never seen Cinderella or Belle looking melted. Do they wear professional actor's make up?
My pictures never look good because my make up has always slid off my face!

NotaGeek
08-23-2009, 01:21 PM
We go to WDW every Sept. It's very hot and humid. My make up usually melts off in about an hour and a half. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of make up the characters wear. I've never seen Cinderella or Belle looking melted. Do they wear professional actor's make up?
My pictures never look good because my make up has always slid off my face!
The characters wear stage makeup -- there's no way it would last if it weren't caked on!

You're on vacation ... don't worry about your make up, just have fun!

EPCOTcoffeegirl
08-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I COMPLETELY understand "melting makeup" as
a. I do theatre and lights get HOT
b. I live in south Louisiana and you melt the second you step outside
c. I worked at Disney as a CP and worked an outside position mostly

Here are a few tricks to keep you looking loverly in pictures:
--Ben Nye is the best type of stage makeup. You won't want to cake on a Ben foundation to go tromping through the parks, BUT they make the most fantastic translucent powder. It really seals things well, (its got some corn starch in it) and one little thing of it lasts a long long time! Just google "buy ben nye powder" and you'll be directed to a bunch of professional stage makeup websites.
--Covergirl makes an awesome lipstick--outlast or colorstay I forget what it's called exactly but it comes in a little box with the color and a gloss overlay. This stuff won't come off after you eat at Pecos Bills! It's a little dry-ish but you won't have to reapply more than once in 12 hours and the gloss is nice
--go with a very light foundation--something in compact form instead of bottle or pot--if you need foundation at all
--waterproof eye stuff all the way!

You don't have to spend much for a few basics--any box store/pharmacy will carry the lip/eye color and foundation...the Ben Nye Powder is the lifesaver! :D

Hope this helps...

emmetlovesmaleficent
08-23-2009, 02:59 PM
girls, girls, girls, and sum boys! why do u need makeup. just photoshop urself. my mom neva wears mu. and the characters r just natrually pretty, duh! :party::party::party::mickey:

kakn7294
08-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I like Everyday Minerals mineral powder make-up. It lasts much better than liquid make-ups for me, it's far cheaper than many other mineral make-up companies, and it lasts for a really long time. You can combine powder shades for a custom look. I buy online at their website where you can get a "free" sample kit for a small shipping charge. It's great for travel! It does take some getting used to using and can be a bit messy. I will also tell you that I don't like their lipsticks or eyeshadows. The lipsticks are nothing more than tinted chapstick and the shadows just don't provide any color on my face, no matter how dark they are.

mamasun
08-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Bare Escentials- Bare minerals all the way- wear it at disney and the gym and all summer, even at the pool- still is on at the end of the day! My family and friends have switched to this as well- expensive, but you get what you pay for! QVC and Ebay are where I get mine...

DisneyPrincess21
08-23-2009, 04:05 PM
i am too busy running around the parks to worry about wearing makeup.
Plus, IMHO Everyone else is more interested in enjoying disney then checking out my makeup (or lack there of)

And if anyone is interested in being more concerned about how i look, if you dont like it then dont look at it :D

nicster
08-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Illuminare cosmetics does the trick for me. I can swim in the stuff & it doesn't come off until I use a face cleanser or makeup remover. It is a cream mineral makeup that was developed by one of the people involved in Bare Essentials. She wanted to go with a creamy formula rather than the powder, thus her product. It has SPF21 & is good for your skin.... try the .com to see if it is sold in your area.

Tinkerbella16
08-23-2009, 07:02 PM
The only time I ever wear makeup is when I go out for an evening. But Bare Minerals powder is the best makeup I've ever put on my face.

When at WDW, I only wear mascara and eyeliner... we don't go when its really hot and humid so I've never experienced the melting of the makeup.

KatrinaJ91
08-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree with the less is more view! During the days we go to the parks, I do a light dusting with powder, some waterproof mascara and eyeliner and that's it! In the evening is when I opt for a little more. My hubby has often told me he likes the way my makeup is when we go in the day better! go figure

SBETigg
08-23-2009, 07:45 PM
I don't worry much about hair and makeup when it's super hot at Disney. I usually just pull my hair back, wear a hat to guard from the sun, sunglasses, and sunscreen. In April, though, when it was hot but not August-Sept sticky, I did use my Bare Minerals makeup and it lasted pretty well.

SurferStitch
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
I never, NEVER go out without my makeup done, and that includes the parks at WDW.

Some products I've found crucial to making my makeup last literally from early morning to late in the evening...even on the hottest days are:

1. Eye Seal by Makeup Forever. It's a small bottle of a clear liquid that you rub onto your entire eyelid up to the brow. It gets tacky quickly, and then you apply your eyeshadow. Use it along your lower lash line to really make our eyeliner stick. It will stay in place. Your shadow is now pretty waterproof, won't crease, won't melt, and lasts for up to 12 hours or more (I know). Costs about $20 or $22 at Sephora. I use it everyday, and a bottle lasts me about 6-8 months. One drop per eye does the trick. Needless to say, quality eye shadow is key, too. Urban Decay, Dior, Makeup Forever and MAC are awesome because they are highly pigmented, meaning you don't have to load it on to get the look you want, meaning it won't melt or transfer. Also, using the Eye Seal actually enhances any eyeshadow you use, making it a little more intense. I refuse to live without this stuff!!

2. Dior Airflash spray foundation. This stuff can be used as lightly or as heavy as you want. I do it the Carmindy way, and put a couple small spritzes on a makeup sponge, and then work onto the skin. I just reapply on the sponge a couple more times, and my entire face is done, and I hardly used any product. Very light, no shine, and perfect under a sheer mineral powder like Bare Minerals. It perfectly evens out your skin tone.

3. I use a lipstick as a base, and top with a coat of lip gloss. I then keep that lip gloss in my bag to reapply. The lipstick pretty much stays, and the lip gloss is what wears off while eating, etc. Dior make awesome lipsticks and lip glosses that have great staying power. Putting a little Dior Airflash on your lips as a primer also helps make the color stay longer. I hate to use "long lasting" lipsticks or stains because they dry out my lips and get cakey.

4. I keep a powder compact with me at all times, and do quick touch-ups as needed. There's nothing wrong with a quick dab of powder and gloss when waiting in line for a character pic! Ten seconds of primping can remove the shine, polish your face, and make you camera ready!!

I don't use waterproof makeup. just never really needed it. My eye liner stays in place and blends much more easily if I use regular eyeliner and the eye seal underneath. I've always found waterproof eyeliner to be difficult to work with. Also, I've never had a problem with regular mascara melting. My favorite mascaras that don't budge or smudge are Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash, and Benefit Bad Gal Lash. Lots of volume with these.

I am a makeup junkie. I love makeup!! :cloud9:

Disney Doll
08-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Great tips! I don't cake on the makeup, but come on, we take a billion pictures so I want to look good. We're embarking on our first September trip next month and I hadn't really thought about makeup. Thanks for the thread!

clou1028
08-24-2009, 07:55 AM
SurferStitch, thanks for the awesome tips! I don't wear make up often just because it wears off of me so quickly, I just gave up on it except for when I go out in the evenings.

I am going to try some of the products you reccomended.

WDWCrazyKaren
08-24-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm with you! I won't even get the mail without my makeup, so not going to forgo it at Disney either.

One more tip if you want to go a bit lighter on the makeup in the heat, the Estee Lauder bronzing powder can take the place of a pressed powder refresh and looks great!

DisneyHoneymooners
08-24-2009, 09:18 AM
I love Revlon Colorstay Overtime lip color w/sheer gloss top coat, Clinique's waterproof mascara, and MAC makes a liquid eyeliner that only comes off with eye make-up remover. I don't wear a ton of makeup but I do like it to stay put!

Dragongirlx
08-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I tend to use a tinted moistouriser rather than a foundation when I am in the parks but eh one thing I don't go without is powder - I just use rimmel's translucent powder. Easy to apply tends to stay on and doen't melt and just enough to keep that shine off my nose.
If it can stand up to Edinburgh weather it can stand up to anything. Edinburgh Weather - windy, sunny and windy (very rare) , rainy and windy, very rainy followed by some wind and snowy and windy

marlaine
08-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you so much for all the tips! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who won't leave the house without make up! Just the way I was raised, I guess. I'm definately going to try some of these brands.

disneylovinmom
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Another vote for Bare Escentuals It doesn't take alot to get good coverage and it doesn't come off when you get hot.

Goes4FastPass
09-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Lord have mercy!

Next someone will be asking if it's proper to wear white jorts and no makeup before sunset after Labor Day when visiting a Disney theme park in Central Forida!

Thank goodness for the Brazilians! I think the only reason they wear shirts to Disney parks at all is so everyone in the group can wear the same green dayglo tshirt while ringing bells, blowing whistles and dancing through the Magic Kingdom.

There's one great kind of makeup for WDW: It's called sunscreen!

SurferStitch
09-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Well, then I guess it's a good thing that the OP didn't specifically ask you for makeup advice.

Believe it or not, there are those of us who just like to look nice, complete with makeup, nice clothing, and looking like we took the time to make a good impression.

And marlaine....I like to do a little ironing on vacation, too. I would much rather take a few minutes out of my morning so we look put together, and don't look like we just rolled out of bed and into the monorail. (I don't do much ironing before packing anymore....I used to, but nixed that a few years ago) :thumbsup:

Tippy
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I wear make up. I use a tinted moisturizer by Lancome with SPF in it. Works great. I'll be there in September as well.

poeticeclipse
09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
This is my topic! Wow! I actually giggled when I read the title just because I got excited. hahaha.

I don't do a full face at WDW... some days I do nothing but moisturizer. But, i'd be happy to give you my super duper makeup tips.

Someone previously mentioned the brand Make Up Forever. I HIGHLY recommend this brand as well! It's the closest thing you're going to get to "pro stage" makeup without actually having to use the harsh products that "stage" makeup can be. The line is quite pricey but in my opinion, totally worth it. I would suggest the foundation first and foremost. I don't plan on personally taking it with me to WDW just because I don't like a full face of foundation on in the heat. My absolute favorite product that this brand makes is the "HD powder." It's white and really light and fine. Takes away shine in an instant. Not something you can carry around with you at the parks though.

I also suggest MAC fluidline eyeliner. It comes in a little pot and you apply it with a small angled brush. That stuff will not come off for anything! That's a great thing.

The best mascara that will stay on forever is Covergirl Lash Blast. It's the super popular brand in the orange tube. I get waterproof in black/brown. I'm not sure how the non-waterproof stays though.

I'd also stick with a powder blush (i've heard Bare Minerals blush is great) instead of a cream blush. If you absolutely NEED a cream blush go with MAC.

prttynpnk
09-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Does anyone have trouble with their skin and the florida water? Am I crazy?
I usually just end up with tinted moisturizer, powder and my never-leave-home-without liquid eyeliner......

Rhetoric2000
09-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I'll leave general park makeup tips to others.

But to address your original question - the actors at the parks will most certainly wear professional acting makeup that will cost a FORTUNE. Don't worry about not looking like them.

As someone who regularly has to wear $120-a-bottle fake blood at work I feel I'm reasonably at home answering that question.

poeticeclipse
09-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I'll leave general park makeup tips to others.

But to address your original question - the actors at the parks will most certainly wear professional acting makeup that will cost a FORTUNE. Don't worry about not looking like them.

As someone who regularly has to wear $120-a-bottle fake blood at work I feel I'm reasonably at home answering that question.

That's hilarious. I don't know what you do but already I envy your job.

Kickapoo Joie Juice
09-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I like how I look with makeup-everyone I've ever met looks better with makeup. Even Adam Lambert, lol...

That being said, in 49 trips to Disney, and having lived in Miami, I have some good tips:

1. You know those toilet seat covers that are in public bathrooms? They are made from the same kind of paper that the super-expensive blotting papers are made from. I'll usually pull a few out, cut them up, and tuck them in my pocket to blot with when I start getting shiny. I find that adding more powder just makes you feel really gunky by the end of the day, but blotting it off with the paper keeps everything feeling good.

2. Revlon sport makeup with spf. I can't wear chemical spf's without breaking out, so I like the silicon based sport makeup-it is completely unbothered by sweat, stands up to lots of blotting, and you have the spf.

3. Revlon's making a new lipstick that wears like iron-I can't remember the name but it comes in a tube and it just came out. It is not waxy, it's very dry, so I carry a tube of gloss around to re-shine it.

4. I use waterproof brown eyeliner and just skip the mascara-I'm a blue eyed blonde so I find the black eyeliner too much for daytime, so I just use it inside and outside of my lashes, you get the eyes without the raccoon.

5. Powder bronzer on my cheeks and temples.

6. Fill in my brows. I think well defined brows make half of your face. I use a taupe powder and small angled brush.

I don't use powder with the sport makeup, it just comes off on the blotting paper anyway and it wasn't designed to be powdered-I find it dries fairly matte anyway.

I like the PP's suggestion of the eye primer, I've never heard of it but my skin always eats any shadow I put on my eyes so I skip it, I'll have to give it a try.

I can go all day with the above makeup, and it takes 15-30 min in the morning, depending upon how careful I want to be. ;)

We take a lot of pictures, and I like how I look better with color on my face. :thumbsup:.

SurferStitch
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I just thought of something else....

Take some time and visit the makeup store in France while in Epcot. I LOVE buying makeup there. They love to help you find solutions to your makeup woes, and it's so fun to try new things there.

They sell Guerlain there. Awesome makeup, but pricey. Give it a shot.

But, like I posted before.... Makeup Forever Eye Seal...miracle in a bottle...that's all I'll say!