PDA

View Full Version : Timing of Disney World's Night of Joy celebration insensitive?

GrumpyFan
08-22-2009, 09:52 PM
This seemed odd to me. Personally, I don't get it, but then maybe I'm insensitive too.

from Examiner.com -
Walt Disney World's annual Christian music festival, Night of Joy, will take place September 11 and 12 this year. The event is held at Disney's Hollywood Studios and lasts from 4:00 p.m. to 1 a.m. both days. A showcase for contemporary Christian music, the festival gives established and up and coming bands the opportunity to play for appreciative audiences. This year guests can audition for the chance to play at Night of Joy.

Although the festival is a long established tradition at Walt Disney World--Night of Joy has been celebrated at Disney World for nearly three decades--scheduling Night of Joy for September 11 is disrespectful to the victims of the 9/11 attacks and their families. The date should be a time of national mourning, rather than celebration.
In the wake of the deadly attacks on New York, the Pentagon, and Pennsylvania in 2001, the inaugural 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance will be launched in 2009. Washington, D.C. and cities across the country are encouraging residents to volunteer time to improve their communities. This would seem to be a more appropriate way to honor the victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks than an all-night music festival at a theme park. It seems unlikely that Hollywood Studios' calendar is so inflexible that the Night of Joy organizers could not have selected a less controversial date for the music festival.

This year's Night of Joy Christian bands include Mercyme, P.O.D., Newsboys, Chris Tomlin, Flyleaf, and Skillet. This year marks the first time that amateur musicians can audition to perform at Night of Joy. Auditions are held live and online. The cost is $80 per person, which includes a one-day ticket to Night of Joy and admission to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

tigmickey
08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
This is not the first time that Night of Joy has landed on Sept 11. I guess the reporter didn't check the facts. How can he/she say that it should be a night of mourning not celebration? NO ONE is celebrating the events of 9-11. They are celebrating God and music. I have never been to Night of Joy but I would guess that there is many prayers offered up in remembrance. If it was New Age music would the reporter have a problem with it? Maybe the parks should close on 9-11? Maybe there should be no joy on 9-11? Whatever. Just more Christian bashing.

Carolanne
08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Guess I'm insensitive as well, because I don't see how the timing is insensitive. I think the reporter is a little confused.

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Considering the way many of the kids get out of hand on Night of Joy, you'd be hard-pressed to think it's got strong Christian anything.

Mickey91
08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Considering the way many of the kids get out of hand on Night of Joy, you'd be hard-pressed to think it's got strong Christian anything.
I agree. I think that is due in part to the fact that area churches use this as outreach. So, a lot of the kids/adults going aren't necessarily Christians, just people with a free or reduced ticket to get into the park. But, maybe the music will reach some of them and change their lives. :mickey:

Personally, what better way to honor those who died and show the people responsible that they can't kill the spirit of Americans, than with a great big Christian party at WDW!!!

Ian
08-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Since this topic really isn't news or a rumor, I'm going to move it over to the Mousellaneous forum where more general Disney discussions like this belong.

Thanks!

seanyred
08-23-2009, 09:21 AM
I agree. I think that is due in part to the fact that area churches use this as outreach. So, a lot of the kids/adults going aren't necessarily Christians, just people with a free or reduced ticket to get into the park. But, maybe the music will reach some of them and change their lives. :mickey:

Personally, what better way to honor those who died and show the people responsible that they can't kill the spirit of Americans, than with a great big Christian party at WDW!!!

I agree!!!

First of all to stay on topic I do not believe there is anything disrespectful to the victims of 9/11 by having a Christian concert at Disney World. And since I used to regularly attend Christian Rock Concerts...I know well enough that the bands, especially POD will probably have something to say in remembrance. We need to remember the past, but we can't let it stop us from moving forward....

Also I've been to Night of Joy and I didn't feel the kids in the crowd were out of control. Rowdy, obnoxious, loud...yes. But not disrespectful, vulgar or rude. I'm in my 30's so I used to be one of those youths going to Christian Shows, so I might be a little more forgiving in that category.

sportsguy2315
08-23-2009, 11:25 AM
I say that the article is insensitive. I saw Flyleaf in concert last weekend, and I'm sure they will mark the occasion with a prayer. In fact, I see it as a celebration of what makes us American: To celebrate whatever religion that we like.

Ed
08-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Those of you who were here on Intercot in September 2001 may recall that many of our members chose for their signatures part of the lyrics to the song "We Go On" that is part of the music accompanying Illuminations. I thought (and still do) that the song exemplifies the American spirit that followed 9/11, and I still, to this day, get a bit misty-eyed every time I hear it.

Music score composed, produced, and conducted by Gavin Greenaway
“We Go On” Illuminations Lyrics by Don Dorsey
(c)1999 by Walt Disney Music Co.
Song performed by Kellie Coffey

With the stillness of the night
there comes a time to understand
to reach out and touch tomorrow
take the future in our hand

We can see a new horizon
built on all that we have done
and our dreams begin another
thousand circles 'round the sun

We go on
to the joy and through the tears
We go on
to discover new frontiers
Moving on
with the current of the years
We go on
moving forward, now as one
Moving on
with a spirit born to run
Ever on
with each rising sun
To a new day
We go on
We go on

I find absolutely nothing disrespectful about holding the Night of Joy on September 11th, and I'm very confident the organizers and performers will not lose sight of the significance of the date.

:flag:

Aurora
08-24-2009, 01:32 AM
The writers for Examiner.com are not reporters; they're freelance writers who get paid by the click. They're actually closer to bloggers than reporters.

Just an FYI.

Granny Jill A
08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
The writers for Examiner.com are not reporters; they're freelance writers who get paid by the click. They're actually closer to bloggers than reporters.

So, true. This is just one blogger's opinion, not a general consensus. I doubt if any of us will ever forget 9/11. Holding a Christian-oriented event on that date is reaffirming rather than disrespectful.

jillluvsdisney
08-25-2009, 08:32 PM
We can all find something to be offended by if we look hard enough. I think that article was just creating controversy. I don't see what the big deal is at all.

I think those concert goers should rejoice that we live in a free, democratic country. Life doesn't stop because of tragedy.

Mousemates
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Carolanne: Guess I'm insensitive as well, because I don't see how the timing is insensitive. I think the reporter is a little confused.

Aurora: The writers for Examiner.com are not reporters; they're freelance writers who get paid by the click. They're actually closer to bloggers than reporters.

Perhaps not so much confused, as he is hoping to generate some controversy in order to increase his income...if so, then perhaps the insensitive one is the writer of the article.

It'sWDW4me
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Night of Joy.... we're talking Christian music.... embracing love, brotherhood, faith, peace, forgiveness.... right?

Maybe the reporter got the words "joy" and "belligerence" confused.

DisneyOtaku
08-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Lots of events--big ones and even small local things--occur on 9/11 now, and I for one think it is a good thing; if we let that tragedy control us for the rest of our lives, then the terrorists did their job.

No one is saying forget about what happened, nor that it wasn't a horrible tragedy, but we do need to continue on and just hold those who died close in our hearts.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Personally I think celebrating Christian anything on that day is appropriate. Isn't that part of what the terrorist were trying to destoy; other religions? Don't they think their's is the only true religion? I say they should go for it and sing loud!!