PDA

View Full Version : Question for Wine Lovers...

darthmacho
08-21-2009, 06:25 PM
:wine: Wine has become a recent obsession of ours. My wife and I have a "Wine and Cheese Night" every Tuesday after the kids go to bed. (Tuesday is my night off.)

Anyway, wine lovers, what is your favorite wine, and what do you like to pair it with, whether cheese or any other food?

My preference (though I'm a novice) so far has been a South American Malbec or Australian Shiraz, paired with a soft goat cheese, a smoked cheese, or dark chocolate. I also like gouda.

My wife seems to prefer whites like reisling or pinio grigio, and rose.

What are your preferences?

I can't wait to get back to Epcot to have wine in France, preferably with a dark chocolate pastry!

BrerStitch
08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
My wife's favorite is either a riesling, or any variety of icewine (nice of her to pick something EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE). We made some wine last year, though (fairly simple and loads of fun, if you're interested), and it was a gewurztraminer, which we both enjoyed. I was surprised I liked it, as my personal favorite is a nice, dry cabernet sauvignon. I usually pair it with a glass, and perhaps some television...:thedolls:

crazypoohbear
08-22-2009, 12:15 AM
I LOVE chardonnay's, I don't like the reislings or the gerts I find them too sweet. I like pino grigio in the summer because it is light and easy to drink in the heat!
My fav would be clos do bois chard
then would be kendall Jackson.
On a regular basis I would do the austrailian,
for cheap wines, yellow tail, bearfoot, robert mondavi,
I like to pair some with beefsteak tomato's and mozzarrala?
grapes, and a sharp cheese and crackers.
or strawberries,and melon.I think it's great that you are doing something special.
In my world chardonnay goes with anything and everything :mickey:
I just returned from our local pub with my girlfrind and her son. we were there for 5 HOURS and solved all the worlds problems over a couple of bottles of Kendall Jackson chardonnay!!! :D

darthmacho
08-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Anyone else? Thousands of members, and only two other wine lovers? I find that hard to believe. Come on, fess up and let's hear it! :listen:

SurferStitch
08-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Rieslings are my favorite, too, but I love many wines.

Last year I was introduced to Conundrum (Caymus 2000 Conundrum California White Table Wine) at V&A, and it instantly became a favorite of mine. Narcoossee's also started serving it last October. It's a fabulous white table wine that pairs wonderfully with seafood, as well as many cheeses, and even rich Godiva truffles (my favorite).

From the Wine Lovers Page: "Conundrum, the wine, is a blend of five grapes that are "quite unlike" indeed, most of them seldom if ever seen in the same blend, grown in five counties that span the length and breadth of the Golden State. (Specifically, it's made of Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Chardonnay, Viognier and Muscat Canelli grown in Napa, Marin, Monterey, Santa Barbara and Tulare counties.) "

"Clear, light brass color. Intriguing aromas, remarkably complex; apples, figs, oranges, a hint of oak; brown spices like nutmeg and cinnamon mingle with dark, leafy fresh herbs. Big and mouth-filling, it is saved from unctuousness by a tart acidic snap unexpected in a California wine. Just off-dry, fruit sweetness nicely balanced by crisp acidity. Juicy mandarins, a slight, pleasant orange-peel bitterness and a hint of brown sugar persist in a long finish."

I also love Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc. Discovered that at F&WF several years ago. Slightly sweet and crisp.

When I'm in the mood for a good red, it's always cab. Coppola makes several incredible cabernet sauvignons that we love. Goes wonderfully with your sharper, stronger cheeses.

I was in heaven at the F&WF in 2008 with the oodles of wines and the wonderful cheese cart right near the entrance to WS. :cloud9:

Ian
08-23-2009, 01:07 PM
I love wine, too. Being of Italian descent, I have a partiality to reds and have found the Coppola wines to be particularly good, especially for the price. Their Cabernet is really excellent, as is the Merlot.

Recently, I had a really nice bottle of Flowers Pinot Noir and that was top notch, as well.

For whites, I'm actually really fond of one I "discovered" in Epcot (which is where almost all of my fine dining occurs ;) ). It's an Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio. Very reasonably priced and excellent served with your favorite cheese.

Tinksalot
08-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Mmmmmm....Pinot Grigio from Friuli area in Italy, and for a snack, prosciutto on a slice of cantaloupe. Yum! :wine:

Hammer
08-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Rieslings are my favorite, too, but I love many wines.

Last year I was introduced to Conundrum (Caymus 2000 Conundrum California White Table Wine) at V&A, and it instantly became a favorite of mine. Narcoossee's also started serving it last October. It's a fabulous white table wine that pairs wonderfully with seafood, as well as many cheeses, and even rich Godiva truffles (my favorite).

From the Wine Lovers Page: "Conundrum, the wine, is a blend of five grapes that are "quite unlike" indeed, most of them seldom if ever seen in the same blend, grown in five counties that span the length and breadth of the Golden State. (Specifically, it's made of Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Chardonnay, Viognier and Muscat Canelli grown in Napa, Marin, Monterey, Santa Barbara and Tulare counties.) "

"Clear, light brass color. Intriguing aromas, remarkably complex; apples, figs, oranges, a hint of oak; brown spices like nutmeg and cinnamon mingle with dark, leafy fresh herbs. Big and mouth-filling, it is saved from unctuousness by a tart acidic snap unexpected in a California wine. Just off-dry, fruit sweetness nicely balanced by crisp acidity. Juicy mandarins, a slight, pleasant orange-peel bitterness and a hint of brown sugar persist in a long finish."

Another fan of Conundrum here. They have been serving it by the glass at Narcoossee's since at least October 2007, which is when I first had it. One glass and I have loved it ever since. I now keep a bottle of it here at home, chilled in my refrigerator, so I can pour myself a glass after a long day at work.

Never been much of a red wine fan. It tends to upset my stomach.

coloradowendyl
08-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Try Redwood Creek Pinot Grigio or Pinot Noir. We got hooked on this vineyard a few years ago and then at an event at Disney, they were also serving it. Moderately priced, very smooth flavors.

Also, Greg Norman Shiraz!

Some of the Ravenswood reds are pretty decent as well.

Wendy

SurferStitch
08-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Another fan of Conundrum here. They have been serving it by the glass at Narcoossee's since at least October 2007, which is when I first had it.

Oh, Tom (our server) told us it had just made it on the menu at the beginning of October last year. In fact, he said it was the day before we were there for our dinner. I had never seen it there before that. Don't know how we both could have missed that!! :blush:

The first time I had seen it on the menu at V&A was in May 2008, but since I only do the wine pairings there, I wouldn't have known if it was available before that or not. I don't look at the wine menu.

SBETigg
08-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Lately I really like sauvignon blanc, Nobilo from New Zealand's Marlborough region is a new favorite. Also, Kris pinot grigio. Goat cheese, mild cheddar, and gouda go well with the sauvignon blanc. Gruyere, Humboldt Fog, and some brie cheese go nicely with the pinot grigio.

I also enjoy cabernet sauvignon, especially CA Paso Robles, J. Lohr. Try a sharper cheddar with this one, or perhaps a Stilton or Danish Blue. Dark chocolate is also nice.

All are in the $12 - $16 range.

Hammer
08-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Oh, Tom (our server) told us it had just made it on the menu at the beginning of October last year. In fact, he said it was the day before we were there for our dinner. I had never seen it there before that. Don't know how we both could have missed that!! :blush:

The first time I had seen it on the menu at V&A was in May 2008, but since I only do the wine pairings there, I wouldn't have known if it was available before that or not. I don't look at the wine menu.

Remember, I had it Narcoossee's (have not had the pleasure of eating at V&A yet). Maybe Narcoossee's had it and then V&A and Citricos (I thought I read they shared a wine cellar) added it to their wine cellar? Whatever the case, we can agree it is a fabulous wine!

Mufasa
08-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Conundrum is not associated with Caymus and hasn't been for a long time now- I think 1998 or maybe 1999 was the last year it was released under the Caymus label as I had tasted a couple selections at Disney's California Adventure around 2003 or so with their first release as a separate brand.

Same goes with a lot of other wines that were started by the Wagner family that are not really associated anymore with Caymus (Liberty School for instance comes to mind).

Over the years Conundrum has changed with more residual sugars where some of the older years were much more balanced and also surprisingly held up well with age. They also had moved their production from a site at the Caymus vineyard off to the family's Mer Soleil vineyards which I think also had an effect on the wine.

If you like Conundrum (and can find it) then you might want to try the Pinot Noir produced by the Lorca winery as that was made by the same winemaker (Jon Bolta along with his brother Chris). They went out of business earlier this year, and sold off their inventory to Trader Joe's which makes it a fantastic buy- the winery just never gained enough momentum but is an incredible value if you can snap up the remaining bottles.

My favorite wine "pairing" is looking at 2 wines produced by Penfold's- their Grange and St. Henri as they have a similar foundation but it's through the winemaking process that they develop into 2 very distinct and enjoyable creations. Grange for very special occasions, and St. Henri always around for regular gatherings of friends.

I'm also enjoying Christian Moueix Merlot (no need to quote Sideways here)- same winemaker that produces Chateau Petrus and Dominus at an incredible value (about $9 a bottle)- none of that off green pepper or cherry/jam flavors of a lot of the cheap New World merlots- sure, it isn't Petrus but considering the price difference this is a great wine for food pairing.