PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to FW Cabins

SFTrny
08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Three out of three trips, we have stayed at the FW cabins. The last time, I was the one suggesting that we try somplace else but the family loves the cabins. We are considering another trip sometime and I'd like some advice on what would be a good alternative to FW. We are a family of 4 (two teenage daughters).

- We like having a kitchen, but might be able to get by with a kitchenette.
- We like being able to take the boats to the MK and other resorts (WL, CR), but a monorail would work too.
- We like that there is lots to do around FW. Will miss the golf carts.
- I've thought about the Treehouse Villas, but they are too remote.
- AKL is also out....bus only transportation.
- I'd like to avoid WL because the theme is so close to FW.
- The daughters are adamant against GF.
- We don't want to stay at a resort that is like two connecting hotel rooms.

I am thinking BC Villas or Boardwalk, but we like the privacy of the FW cabins. I'd like any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences that anyone else has had. Or "second favorite resorts" from other die-hard FW Cabin fans.

TammiMcMan
08-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Based on your wish list (kitchenette, boat, lots to do, some privacy, not "hotel" like), I would say the BW villas would be a good start. There is a boat to both Epcot and the Studio's, but they're also within a 10 minute walk. The Board Walk definitely has lots to do. Price wise, the rack rate for a studio villa is not much more than the cabin.

BC villas would be similar and they are off to the side of the BC/YC, so it may not feel like it's a hotel situation. They're much closer to Epcot, only about 3-5 minutes to walk there.

Mousemates
08-21-2009, 07:48 AM
just remember that if you move into the studio rooms at the BC, you lose the private bedroom you have at the FWC...which essentailly means the adults and teens are all in the same room and have to go to sleep at the same time...and if your teens are like my teens, they might not always agree with your idea of what time vacation bed time ought to be. :mickey:

SFTrny
08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a 1 bedroom DC villa is a good option.

Septbride2002
08-22-2009, 10:45 AM
If you don't mind me saying....it sounds to me like the cabins is your "home." It's got everything you'll need. What I would suggest doing is a split stay - do the Beach Club or Boardwalk for 2 nights and then go back to the cabins. That way you'll have tried somehting different - but you'll also stay at the place your family loves.

~amanda

nicster
08-22-2009, 11:06 AM
I have to agree with Septbride2002. IMHO, when you compare everything else to what you are going away from... why change it at all? Either do something COMPLETELY different or stick with what works... :mickey:

TammiMcMan
08-22-2009, 11:27 AM
The 1 bedroom is a nice option and the parents would go from the double bed at FW to a nice king bed and jacuzzi tub. The girls would have to share the pull out sofa, but you'd be in separate rooms. Not sure how you utilize the bedding at FW, whether you all sleep in the bedroom, or if the parents take the pull out murphy bed in the cabins living room.

We appreciate the quietness of the cabins and have stayed there a few times, but my teens really enjoyed staying in the Boardwalk area as well. There is so much to do and easy access to two of their favorite parks was an added bonus.