PDA

View Full Version : Making Cast Members Feel Special

coneygoil
08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
For our last trip to WDW, my dad had the idea of focusing on cast members. He bought an autograph book and through out the entire trip all he did was get autographs from the CMs and taking pictures with them. My dad collected over 300 CM autographs and had like a 100 pics with them! Nearly every CM we approached told us how special they felt and how we made their day because of what we did. Some CMs even recognized my dad several hours or a day after they met him! They'd walk by and go "Hi John!" It was so awesome! Some CMs even ran around finding other CMs to talk to my dad. They were giving my dad free things. It was a great experience. The CMs were so incredibly awesome. They really made our trip even more magical than usual. :mickey:

Has anyone else ever done this?

AliMel83
08-19-2009, 09:26 AM
That is a great idea! I know they appreciate people/anyone noticing how hard they work to make our vacations magical.:mickey:

SurferStitch
08-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Wow, that sounds like it was sooooo much fun for everyone!

On our last trip (October 2008), we gave a couple very special Grand Flo concierge CM's pins and a thank you note for all of the special things they did for us, and just for being so wonderful to be around.

Robert, our concierge CM in Sugar Loaf, really treated us like royalty. I found a special Walt and Mickey pin and attached it to a written thank you note and gave it to him around halfway through our trip. He seemed very surprised, and also very appreciative.

We also gave one to Suzanne, who was in charge of the concierge lounge staff in Sugar Loaf. She was so sweet, and wonderful to chat with every day. I gave a pin to her on our next to last day, and she teared up. We were so sad to leave our last day. Suzanne seemed just as sad as we were, and we both cried as we hugged goodbye. I really miss her, and can't wait to see her again. Even though we're staying at the Poly, we may try to stop by to say hello in December.

Mousemates
08-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Not that exactly, but we have had some picutres made with some of the folks who went out of their way to make us feel special (including some very good waiters/waitresses in the eateries)...we tell them we want to remember them because they helped make our vacation special and they always smile and seem genuinely happy to oblige our requests.

Mackflava99
08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
that was just a terrific idea- applauds to you!!!

DisneyOtaku
08-19-2009, 12:04 PM
That sounds like an awesome thing to do! I might do that when I head out in two months.

Marilyn Michetti
08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
This is a FANTASTIC idea. DH and I are both in our 60's, and posing with the Mouse is a little overdone with us.:)

Laughin' place
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Last June, we purchased tubes of glow-necklaces (very inexpensive from places like oriental trading co.). Two of my teenage boys ran around one night at MK, during EMH, and gave a bracelet to every cast member they encountered. Every castmember was thrilled when we said "thanks" and gave them this small gift. It really seemed to make people's nights. It was fun to see our bracelets worn all around MK by cast members for the rest of the night, and very rewarding to make so many people happy (especially people who spent all trip making us happy). This is one on my fondest memories of all my trips

DisneyPrincess21
08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
When I go in December (this year will be my third december) I hand out candy canes to the cm's. They are always surprised when they realize that I am giving Them something. The cm at the POTC was very surprised and said "wow thank you so much!"

DisneyPrincess21
08-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Last June, we purchased tubes of glow-necklaces (very inexpensive from places like oriental trading co.). Two of my teenage boys ran around one night at MK, during EMH, and gave a bracelet to every cast member they encountered. Every castmember was thrilled when we said "thanks" and gave them this small gift. It really seemed to make people's nights. It was fun to see our bracelets worn all around MK by cast members for the rest of the night, and very rewarding to make so many people happy (especially people who spent all trip making us happy). This is one on my fondest memories of all my trips

That's a cool idea. I might try that for MVMCP in December. It would be cool if I could find them in Christmas colors!

IloveDisney71
08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I've heard of people doing things like this and I think it's a great idea. Even if you don't give them a little gift or take pictures you can tell them thank you and give them a smile. I notice a lot of people just walk past CM's like they're invisible. I always try to thank CM's whenever they are helpful in anyway - for small things like guiding me to the right bus, or getting in/out of a ride, and I ALWAYS make it a point to thank the bus drivers for saving me from having to drive while I'm in WDW! Some bus drivers act totally shocked when you say thank you because so many people just walk right past them. I think CM's really appreciate being appreciated!:mickey:

biodtl
08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
We have taken photos with CMs who we spent time talking to, etc, but I love the OP's idea.

On our last trip, our princess-loving DD wanted to do something for the princesses. I make jewelry, so we made a bunch of beautiful (and very wearable - not "costumey") bracelets that would match each princess' gown/clothing, and gave them out when we met with each of them.

They were all very sweet about it (especially Belle at Akershus) and seemed to appreciate them.

ransam
08-19-2009, 11:43 PM
i love that. we don't go to that extreme but i love talking to cm's and trying to make them laugh.

grumpyguy
08-20-2009, 07:27 AM
it is alot of fun!!!i've done that (on a much smaller scale).i noticed on our last trip that the cm working the counter at the coronado gift shop wasn't having such a "magical" day.so,when it was my turn to be checked out i tried striking up a quick conversation with her.
after a minute or so of banter she was smiling and we were the best of friends for my 10 day stay.anyways,if fran still works at the cs say hi to her for me:thumbsup:

coneygoil
08-20-2009, 09:05 AM
it is alot of fun!!!i've done that (on a much smaller scale).i noticed on our last trip that the cm working the counter at the coronado gift shop wasn't having such a "magical" day.so,when it was my turn to be checked out i tried striking up a quick conversation with her.
after a minute or so of banter she was smiling and we were the best of friends for my 10 day stay.anyways,if fran still works at the cs say hi to her for me:thumbsup:

If we go to the CS, I'll remember to look for her!

coneygoil
08-20-2009, 09:08 AM
When I go in December (this year will be my third december) I hand out candy canes to the cm's. They are always surprised when they realize that I am giving Them something. The cm at the POTC was very surprised and said "wow thank you so much!"

My mom has been busy for a couple months making homemade pins for us to pass out to the CMs and my most favorite band in the world, Off Kilter. Though it will be hard to figure out who to give pins to.

jimsgal05
08-20-2009, 11:14 AM
that is cool I will ahve to do that with the CM's...I am making our mousekeeper.. up a small basket of goodies from Maine...mini maple syrup blueberry jam, crakers and a postcards plus some maine candy... each day I will leave a gift and postcard thanking them....

Has anyone do this instead of a tip...?????

Lori from Maine :mickey:

trip Sept 7th -14th At STS...

KAJUNKING
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Ive never taken pictures with the cms but i always try to strike up conversation with them, most of them seem eager to chat

BMan62
08-20-2009, 11:51 AM
I've been thinking of making up 'business' cards with a pic of DW and I in our Disney finest with 'Thank You ...' on the front and '... for spreading the Magic!' on the back. Put them on thicker, glossy stock, and hand them out to CMs as 'random acts of kindness.'

TheRustyScupper
08-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I've been thinking of making up 'business' cards with a pic of DW and I in our Disney finest with 'Thank You ...' on the front and '... for spreading the Magic!' on the back. Put them on thicker, glossy stock, and hand them out to CMs as 'random acts of kindness.'

1) This is a good idea.
2) I do the same with my business cards. *
3) They can show to their manager and get a "Fan-tastic" card (aka, "at-a-boy").
4) Doesn't do a thing for pay, but it does make them feel good.

* In my real life, when I am not at WDW, I am a President/CEO. So, a comment card strikes a cord. I print on the back of my business card, "Thank you for a special CM kindness. Please show to your manager, as they should know how nice your were.".

emmetlovesmaleficent
08-20-2009, 01:35 PM
For our last trip to WDW, my dad had the idea of focusing on cast members. He bought an autograph book and through out the entire trip all he did was get autographs from the CMs and taking pictures with them. My dad collected over 300 CM autographs and had like a 100 pics with them! Nearly every CM we approached told us how special they felt and how we made their day because of what we did. Some CMs even recognized my dad several hours or a day after they met him! They'd walk by and go "Hi John!" It was so awesome! Some CMs even ran around finding other CMs to talk to my dad. They were giving my dad free things. It was a great experience. The CMs were so incredibly awesome. They really made our trip even more magical than usual. :mickey:

Has anyone else ever done this?

Yes I have Holly from the Beach Club Character Bfast

vws_and_disney
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Fran is still at CSR. She was amazing! We got a picture of us taken in epcot about 3 days before we left and had it shipped to our resort. Well by check out time it still didnt arrive so we were kinda dissapointed. Fran went out of her way to make sure we got it. It arrived about two days after we arrived home and she called everyday til it got there. Cheers Fran!

TheVBs
08-20-2009, 04:17 PM
How fun! I love this idea! I wish I'd taken our girls picture with the CMs at the photo counter of the Buzz ride. They took so much time with them and told them what it was like to work at WDW.

azcavalier
08-21-2009, 03:44 PM

I remember you posting this on another thread, and we are so going to do this when we go in October. I hope you don't feel upset that we're stealing your idea...but it's such a great idea! We're going to buy a bunch of them at the Dollar Tree down the road. Our two DDs will love giving these to CMs!

indytraveler
08-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I haven't tried the gifts for CM's but I do try to strike up conversations with CM's when they are around. I've always found that you can brighten their day just as much as they can brighten your day. Random act of kindness always goes far.

zebradome17
08-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Wow:) I just think all of this is so nice since the CMs do a lot and never reallly get proper thankyous and I'm sure it must really make their day.:)

magicofdisney
08-21-2009, 06:33 PM

1) This is a good idea.
3) They can show to their manager and get a "Fan-tastic" card (aka, "at-a-boy").

* In my real life, when I am not at WDW, I am a President/CEO. So, a comment card strikes a cord. I print on the back of my business card, "Thank you for a special CM kindness. Please show to your manager, as they should know how nice your were.".
I really like these ideas. I think I'll look into doing something like this. :mickey:

StitchFan#1
08-21-2009, 06:51 PM
My dad alwyas gets his pictures at each train stop with a tarin engineer just out of random adn then he will hop right back on the train! weird father i have?

brdavis
08-22-2009, 11:12 AM
This is a wonderful, cool idea! We've never done that, but have done some similar things (personally I've always been impressed by the CM's). We had one of the photographers take our picture... then we offered to take *her* picture. It turns out her grandkids had never seen her
"at work", so when we got back home I emailed her the picture of her as a CM in front of SS at EPCOT. She was so appreciative! On the cruise, we've started making a point of asking for the handler's signature when visiting a character, and get the same very happy surprised response. It let's me spread a little magic, which I always love every time I go to Disney (or elsewhere).

There's an awful lot of inexpenssive things that I get more joy from giving away than I ever would from keeping them.

--
Brian Davis

IloveDisney71
08-22-2009, 02:07 PM
1) This is a good idea.

I've never heard of a "Fan-tastic" card. What exactly is that?

paragon
08-22-2009, 05:58 PM
These all sound great. On our last trip, we took a few photos with a few of the dinner servers who seemed to be putting on a show for us, and they were pleased. I also decided that it would be a good idea to take a picture of the Photographers who do such a great job for photopass. We usuallky always start a conversation with the CMs on a pretty regular basis, and even more so when we see they are from "home".

MissMaryPoppins
08-23-2009, 12:56 AM
I was recently in Disney World with 2 of my cousins. They're both 13 and were very excited to be there. We were having dinner at the Whispering Canyon and and one of the host passed our table after seating a family. When he walked by one of my cousins waved to him and said hello. When he passed our table again he made a point of saying hello. The third time he stopped and gave us all a bunch of stickers. On our way out my cousin wanted her picture taken with him and I told her to ask him. When she asked he said of course and asked her to wait a minute. He filled out a Magical Moments certificate and wrote that he was giving it to her for making his day. We got a few pictures, thanked them, and left. A little later I took her to the general store in the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge for something and she dropped a note off at the restaurant saying how wonderful he was. On our way back to our villa she showed her certificate to everyone we passed.

BPATSMouse
08-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Its awesome to see that there are others who appreciate what most take for granted at WDW. :mickey:

The past few years we have tried to "grade" our CM experiences. At the end of our trip we reward our favorite CM with a treat from that park. Last year we met an awesome CM (cannot remember his name but he was from Costa Rica) at the Town Square Exposition Hall. On our last day I found him at the same counter and asked him what his favorite treat was in the MK. A few minutes later both of my kids made a "special presentation" giving him BIG cinnamon roll from the Main Street Bakery. He was stunned at first but quickly got a huge smile on his face, gave both girls a big hug and stated "i'll remember this for as long as I live"
Two years ago we "presented" a Churro

It is so easy to thank someone for outstanding customer service.:number1: