PDA

View Full Version : Desperately needing puppy training help

Cinderelley
08-18-2009, 01:25 PM
So, when we came back from our cruise in July, I was surprised with the fact that my stepson had brought a pupppy home. He's cute and everything, but my household doesn't do puppies - only full grown dogs - housebroken, full grown dogs. The agreement was that DS was going to take care of Diesel, the dog's name. DS ISN'T taking care of Diesel. DS isn't even home for days on end (but that's another argument with DH). He's 19 years old -definitely old enough to be responsible for his own dog. Anyway, the task has fallen to me as things that no one wants to do always fall to Mom. The problem is I don't know the first thing about housebreaking a puppy, and I'm really tired of surprises on my carpet. My Spotbot is going to break pretty soon. :D

DH isn't any help in making stepson take care of his dog, and I'm not allowed to discipline stepson. My only option is to take care of Diesel or take him to the pound. Any advice that anyone can give me? He is a shepherd/wolf mix (only a very, very small part wolf) that is about 3 1/2 months old. When can you start housebreaking dogs? How do you do it? I take him outside about every 3 hours when I am home, but there's times he'll go 45 minutes later on the carpet. Also, when I take him outside, he goes on the patio instead of in the grass. Am I asking too much out of a 3 1/2 month old puppy? The other two dogs go to the grass, so I thought he would've learned by watching them. :(

Mickey'sGirl
08-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Try feeding and watering Diesel outside ONLY. He will get the idea that he eats drinks and tinkles outside.

Honestly, my dogs have been housetrained long before 3 1/2 months. I hope it isn't a case of you needing to teach an old dog new tricks at this point.

Is he being crate trained? Most dogs are reluctant to "go" in their crates, so perhaps by putting him directly outside from his crate will help him make the connection?

Good luck!

NotaGeek
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Good luck, and if you just stay with it, he will get the house breaking thing. Trying crate training is a very good way, and there's a thread going HERE (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=159634) on that subject ... if you decide that Diesel isn't a fit, PLEASE make sure you take him to a no-kill shelter in Phoenix, not the pound ... and if you will ultimately have to let him go, please do it while he is still young and cute, that helps his chances of finding a forever home. If you would like help finding a no-kill shelter in your area please PM me, I have connections in Phoenix that will even come pick him up for you. :puppy:

Cinderelley
08-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Try feeding and watering Diesel outside ONLY. He will get the idea that he eats drinks and tinkles outside.

Honestly, my dogs have been housetrained long before 3 1/2 months. I hope it isn't a case of you needing to teach an old dog new tricks at this point.

Is he being crate trained? Most dogs are reluctant to "go" in their crates, so perhaps by putting him directly outside from his crate will help him make the connection?

Good luck!

He has a cage, but he whines and howls constantly when he is in it. It wakes everyone up. I tried moving it into my room this morning, since Brandon isn't in the room with him. I thought he might not like being alone. That didn't help any. I even tried throwing a cover over his cage to block the sunlight - after years of night shift work it doesn't bother me, but maybe it did bother him.

Cinderelley
08-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Good luck, and if you just stay with it, he will get the house breaking thing. Trying crate training is a very good way, and there's a thread going HERE (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=159634) on that subject ... if you decide that Diesel isn't a fit, PLEASE make sure you take him to a no-kill shelter in Phoenix, not the pound ... and if you will ultimately have to let him go, please do it while he is still young and cute, that helps his chances of finding a forever home. If you would like help finding a no-kill shelter in your area please PM me, I have connections in Phoenix that will even come pick him up for you. :puppy:

I'll keep this in mind. Will they take him since he's part wolf?

Mickey'sGirl
08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
He has a cage, but he whines and howls constantly when he is in it. It wakes everyone up. I tried moving it into my room this morning, since Brandon isn't in the room with him. I thought he might not like being alone. That didn't help any. I even tried throwing a cover over his cage to block the sunlight - after years of night shift work it doesn't bother me, but maybe it did bother him.
That's a really good idea. Dogs like "caves". We keep our doggy's crate in a hallway that doesn't have a window in it. He is much less anxious since moving there. :thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
08-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Be sure to take him out soon after he's been fed, and immediately if you notice any circling or other behavior that may be predictive. And try taking him out more often -- like once every hour -- to help him get the idea. If you want him to go in a certain place, it will help to put him on a leash and take him to that area. Praise him extensively when he does what you want.

Stitchahula
08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
If he really is a wolf hybrid, they are illegal in a lot of states. They also are A LOT harder to train. That being said my first "dog" was half timber wolf, and one of the best animals I've ever owned. Wolves are pack animal you need to let him know you are alpha in this pack now before he gets to big. You need to be really consistent with commands. Keep things to 1-2 word commands. When you say down it can only mean 1 thing such as lay down, off mean to get off (couch or person), sit you get my meaning. Some really important ones are leave it and drop it, you will also need to make sure he is used to you fishing things out of his mouth. At 3 1/2 months he should already be mostly potty trained but some dogs do take longer than others. The good thing is they can also be trained to "go" in 1 area of your yard for the most part. Every time you bring him out bring him to the same area, that will become his area. I think you should try to get the kid to sign the dog over to you since you are doing all this work. Do you really want to spend all this time and energy training a dog for him to take away when the mood strikes? Good luck.

SurferStitch
08-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Lots of dogs get house broken at different ages. Our Lhasa Apso was practically house broken at 10 weeks old (I'm not kidding), while our Cairn took a good, solid 5-6 months. She still had accidents up to 9 months. We've read that Cairn Terriers are the most difficult dog to house train, but we did it! We trained her to ring a bell when she had to go out. After a little while, she not only let us know when she had to go out, but also when our Lhasa had to go.

You have to take your puppy out more often than you are. Three hours is a long time for a young puppy. Also, we found that taking them out right after they eat works well. I read that the act of eating stimulates them to want to "do their business", so that's why taking them outside after they eat is crucial.

Patience and a lot of cleaning supplies are the most important thing. The puppy will learn...ALL dogs can learn to be house broken. It just takes time.

I really hate to say this, and I don't mean to sound rude, but I absolutely hate when people give up a dog after only a few months of trying to train them, and it sounds like you've only had him about 4-6 weeks, right? It's usually not the dog's fault. It is the trainer's (I'm not blaming you....I'm speaking from experience. I made mistakes.) You may want to look into getting a professional trainer/behaviorist to help if things don't improve. But really, he's only about 14 weeks old...give him a chance, and be diligent with your methods. You have to set the routine. Things will work out, and he will be a wonderful family member.

Cinderelley
08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
I think you should try to get the kid to sign the dog over to you since you are doing all this work. Do you really want to spend all this time and energy training a dog for him to take away when the mood strikes? Good luck.

Quite honestly, I would be happy if he moved out and took the dog with him. This dog was brought into my household without my knowledge or consent. My life is entirely too busy to be giving this dog the attention it needs/deserves. I haven't gotten over putting my dalmation down earlier this year, and my two other dogs make me perfectly content. The reason I'm doing it is because no one else will. Personally, I think DH should make DS do what he is supposed to be doing, but he won't, which adds tremendously to my frustration. Since I'm forced into doing DS's job there is a lot of resentment and really impedes any bonding I may have had with the puppy. I know it isn't the puppy's fault - he's just a baby - so I'm trying to do the best that I can to train him. We'll see how it goes and if my houseplants will survive the destruction he wreaked upon them while I was at work last night.

Cinderelley
08-19-2009, 10:43 AM
If he really is a wolf hybrid, they are illegal in a lot of states. They also are A LOT harder to train. That being said my first "dog" was half timber wolf, and one of the best animals I've ever owned. Wolves are pack animal you need to let him know you are alpha in this pack now before he gets to big. You need to be really consistent with commands. Keep things to 1-2 word commands. When you say down it can only mean 1 thing such as lay down, off mean to get off (couch or person), sit you get my meaning. Some really important ones are leave it and drop it, you will also need to make sure he is used to you fishing things out of his mouth. At 3 1/2 months he should already be mostly potty trained but some dogs do take longer than others. The good thing is they can also be trained to "go" in 1 area of your yard for the most part. Every time you bring him out bring him to the same area, that will become his area. I think you should try to get the kid to sign the dog over to you since you are doing all this work. Do you really want to spend all this time and energy training a dog for him to take away when the mood strikes? Good luck.

I forgot to say thanks for all the specifics you gave me.

He eats outside with the other dogs, but his BMs occur at other times during the day. For example, he urinated on the carpet early in the afternoon, and I was using the Spotbot to clean it. When it was done running and started beeping, I walked over to turn it off. He had a pile of poop laid out on the Spotbot electrical wire. :mad: I had just had him outside.:mad: Can't they make pull ups for dogs? :D

crazypoohbear
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Maybe it's time to get rid of the 19 year old! ;)
that would make training the puppy easier.
If you are not consistent, patient and full of praise when training (either potty training a puppy or a child) then it makes for much more work and expense in the end.
Do you have someone who would take the puppy for a few days. See IF anyone notices the puppy is gone, then say that you gave the puppy away because no one would take care of it and you have too much to do with work and the house.
If your DH won't let you disipline the boy then you have no leverage over him or how and when he takes care of HIS puppy.
Good luck.

Cinderelley
08-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Funny update

Talked to DH. Last night was my first night back to work in a while. DS was supposed to be home to take care of the puppy (once again). DS didn't come home, and I wasn't there to take the puppy out and make him be quiet. DH is quite upset that he had to wake up and get out of bed. He told DS to either come home at night and take care of the puppy or he had two days to get rid of him. I don't think it will last since DH never carries through with his threats to DS, but it is funny that DH is so upset now that it is affecting him. :laughing:

Princess'Mom
08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Funny update

Talked to DH. Last night was my first night back to work in a while. DS was supposed to be home to take care of the puppy (once again). DS didn't come home, and I wasn't there to take the puppy out and make him be quiet. DH is quite upset that he had to wake up and get out of bed. He told DS to either come home at night and take care of the puppy or he had two days to get rid of him. I don't think it will last since DH never carries through with his threats to DS, but it is funny that DH is so upset now that it is affecting him. :laughing:

LOL! I don't know your DH may follow through with THIS threat if he has to take the puppy out again in the middle of the night!
Good luck!

crazypoohbear
08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I would strongly suggest that you continue to let the puppy be a burden to DH! Maybe a couple nights without sleep will force him to step up with his son. Especially when you are not allowed to disipline the stepson.
Go to bed with earplugs in and let DH handle the situation.
good luck

Cinderelley
08-21-2009, 04:28 PM
:D We had our first major success today. I had taken DD for her interview for a part in the next Twilight movie, and then we went out to lunch. When we got home, Diesel was out of his cage - not sure how long he had been out. Stepson was sleeping with the room to hs door closed. Diesel was whining a little bit, and I walked him out to the grass. He must've been waiting a while, because he spent a long time going. Then we made a big deal out of it, and I gave the dogs a snack. Then he walked back to the back door, so I took him out again to the grass. Then he pooped. He again got all excited and gave him another snack. Now he's sleeping between DD & DS17 on the couch. Maybe there is hope after all.

azdisneymom
08-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Congratulations! Just when you think you have had enough something good happens and you know you can press on a bit longer.

I don't remember you asking but here is some pixie dust :pixie::pixie: for your daughter! I hope she gets the part in Twilight. Please keep us posted so we can celebrate with her.

BTW - I hope all is well with your son in the Navy.

garymacd
08-22-2009, 12:24 AM
This is what worked for our new guy. A strict schedule

Get up in the morning. Put dog outside. Tell him, "Go p-- or go p---"

Keep repeating while he is doing it.
Praise him greatly
Use a treat he only gets when he does his business outside. We use Ritz cracker bits with cheese.

Have breakfast meal.
Take him back outside and repeat.

Do this before and after meals

Halfway between each meal, take him back outside and repeat.

It took a couple weeks but he got the hang of it. It helped that the breeder was doing the same thing.

During the day when you can't keep an eye on him, either crate or find a small area in the house that can easily be cordoned off. Put his blanket and bed and a couple of toys in the area. He should be happy, especially if one of the toys is a Kong with a little peanut butter in it.

If he feels secure in his little den, he won't mess in it. Remember, this should be a pleasant experience for him, it is not a punishment. Don't yell at him when you are putting him in.

Remember to reward him for not messing inside and for doing it outside. If you catch him in the act, make all kinds of loud noises, scold him and take him outside immediately and keep repeating "p-- or p--- outside!"

If worse comes to worst, threaten your young offspring: train him or out he goes, and stick to it. Having said that, everyone must be on the same plan or it won't work.

Cinderelley
08-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Congratulations! Just when you think you have had enough something good happens and you know you can press on a bit longer.

I don't remember you asking but here is some pixie dust :pixie::pixie: for your daughter! I hope she gets the part in Twilight. Please keep us posted so we can celebrate with her.

BTW - I hope all is well with your son in the Navy.

Thanks for the Pixie Dust. She is excited beyond words.
Kyle is doing quite well in the Navy. He gets to come home for a week in September. I can't wait. I saw in another post that you're going through quite the change in your house this fall. I know it's hard, but I think you'll enjoy your freedom in the end.

Cinderelley
08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
During the day when you can't keep an eye on him, either crate or find a small area in the house that can easily be cordoned off.

This is the part that concerns me a little. I know he gets put in his cage at night. Then when I am at home sleeping during the day, I feel bad about keeping him in his cage while I am sleeping, but I don't want him going to the bathroom and chewing everything up. Is there a limit to how much he should be in the cage?

On the upside, we had another success. I came home last night, and he was whining in his cage. (Stepson wasn't home.) I took him outside and he waited until we got to the grass. No accidents in the house or on the patio. I got as excited as I could (everyone else was sleeping) and gave him a snack. Then he went right back into his cage on his own. :D

azdisneymom
08-23-2009, 10:03 PM
I can't believe it has been over a year already since Kyle went in. Please tell him thank you for his service when you see him. Will you be picking him up at the airport? I sent you a PM about that.

fupresti
08-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Crating is essential to good training. Dogs will not relive themselves where they sleep unless they physically can not hold it. Once the dog is let out of the crate, immediately go outside and let the dog go. Make this a habit and he will be trained in no time.

Anyone that tells you crating is inhumane doesn't know what they are talking about. It is a necessary part of good training.

Both my Lab and golden have never had an accident inside and they were brought home at 8 and 10 weeks respectively. They are creatures of habit and they learn quickly.