PDA

View Full Version : What are your favoritie things/memories about MainStreet?

Mousemates
08-18-2009, 12:12 PM
For me there are three things that first come to mind when I think of Mainstreet.

1. The smell of the candy shop inthe morning.

2. Getting my first "non-family haircut" (complete with a big orange Mickey head) at the barbar shop.

3. The way its looks/feels when the lights are still shining and the crowds hve thinned out just prior to the park closing.

CU Tiger
08-18-2009, 12:16 PM
For me it is sad, but good. When we usually leave MK it is at night and we love to see Main Street all lit up! :thumbsup: It is great to see, but it does mean we are leaving.:mickey:

disneyboundagain
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Seeing the looks on each of our kid's faces when they were young during the Spectromagic parade. It was around 2 years old for each of them. The amazement and joy in their eyes brings a tear to my eye every I think about it. Those are my best memories of anywhere in Disney, let alone Main Street.

cajunprincess
08-18-2009, 01:16 PM
My first sight of the Castle. I was 22 years old, it was my second wedding anniversary, I had never been on a plane before, and it was my dream to go. It was such an amazing sight for me. My husband and I did everything we could in our 8 days. We had no kids then, and I just remember feeling like there was nothing else in the world, but me, him and Disney World. What an amazing experience!:cloud9:

jenperich
08-18-2009, 02:47 PM
For me its two things...
1. The sentimental feeling of just being in that environment...it's just SO magical!
2. The smells...most of all, the smell from Main Street Bakery - cinnamon rolls and chocolate chip cookies!! YUM!!!

RAIDER
08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
The actual atmosphere of Main Street itself and that first view of the castle

My haircuts by that lovely barber Micheal

The way its lit at night as you leave the park

:thumbsup:

Tinkerbella16
08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
The smells of Main Street Bakery...nothing like it!

Turning that corner right by the Emporium and seeing the Castle for the 1st time of our trip! Love that feeling! :mickey:

clou1028
08-18-2009, 05:31 PM
SpectroMagic... the music for it makes me feel so sentimental!

JPL
08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
My Favorite Memories of Main St are 2 you can't experience any more. I remember going in ot the Penny Arcade when I was younger and just loving all the old machines to play with and a close runner up was the Main St Cinema with the old Mickey cartoons. And my most special memory was watching the Electrical Parade with my Grandmonther who has passed away.

Sadly now the thing I think about most is how it has become one giant shop :(

Don't get me wrong I still love how it looks all lit up at night especiall around the holidays and I love that they make it snow. But in some ways it really is a shadow of it's past glory.

BluewaterBrad
08-18-2009, 06:40 PM
My Favorite Memories of Main St are 2 you can't experience any more. I remember going in ot the Penny Arcade when I was younger and just loving all the old machines to play with and a close runner up was the Main St Cinema with the old Mickey cartoons. And my most special memory was watching the Electrical Parade with my Grandmonther who has passed away.

Sadly now the thing I think about most is how it has become one giant shop :(

Don't get me wrong I still love how it looks all lit up at night especiall around the holidays and I love that they make it snow. But in some ways it really is a shadow of it's past glory.

Oh yeah, I remember those golden days!! :mickey:

KatrinaJ91
08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
For me its two things...
1. The sentimental feeling of just being in that environment...it's just SO magical!
2. The smells...most of all, the smell from Main Street Bakery - cinnamon rolls and chocolate chip cookies!! YUM!!!

These are both great and exactly what I was thinking!! My #3 would be the Barbershop Quartet singing "Walking Right Down the Middle of Main Street USA"

ransam
08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
my favorite memories are simple. Just walking down mainstreet on the first day....

Marceline
08-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Yep the olde thyme Penny Arcade is a great Main Street memory from the distant past for me.:thumbsup:

A more recent favorite thing was when my husband got a haircut and was serenaded by the Dapper Dans the entire time.:cloud9:

Another favorite thing is when it "snows" on Main Street during MVMCP.:santa3:

:mickey:

johnO
08-19-2009, 07:59 AM
The look of Main Street is great and just a neat place to be.

One of my favorite things about Main Street is the sentimental and nostalgic feeling I get at the at night. It seems to bring back all those great memories of previous WDW trips that have brought me and my family so many fun memories and joy. Usually Wishes has just ended and the music is still playing as everyone walks towards the gate.

jnfr2424
08-19-2009, 08:25 AM
my favorite memories are simple. Just walking down mainstreet on the first day....

I so agree and the smell of fresh popcorn and the sight of all the balloons down Main St. You gotta love it!:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-19-2009, 08:26 AM
I was 32 the first time I went and I got chill bumps when we started down Main St. and I smelled all the wonderful smells, heard the Disney music playing and got my first view of the castle waiting for me at the end of the street:mickey:

Kaps
08-19-2009, 08:37 AM
My son was 5 and saw the castle for the first time. He just stopped in his tracks and stared at it. This will probably always be my best memory just to see the look in his eyes. I would have paid anything for that :mickey:

BedknobsandBroomsticks
08-19-2009, 08:42 AM
The music they play, some of it is songs from "The Music Man" and I hear those songs now and think of main street.
I love seeing the smiles on everyones faces, especially my kids.
I love skipping up main street with my daughters. :mickey:

Mousemates
08-19-2009, 11:06 AM
My Favorite Memories of Main St are 2 you can't experience any more. I remember going in ot the Penny Arcade when I was younger and just loving all the old machines to play with and a close runner up was the Main St Cinema with the old Mickey cartoons.

Way back in the day--you know before everyone had cable/satellite TV (i.e. the early seventies) being able to watch cartoons was a luxury (it was pretty much saturday morning or nothing at all)...and being able to watch Disney cartoons was limited to those rare occasions when they showed them on the Wonderful World of Disney....well, on my first trip to Disney world I literally had to be carried out of the Main St. Cinema by my grandfather...I was on animation overload...a great memory I had forgotten.

Another favorite memory is one many of us dads likely share....that being having our kids sitting on our shoulders while we stand in the street and watch fireworks over the castle. As Nicholas Cage said in Raising Arizona "Those were the salad days.":mickey:

PittFan
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
When I think of Main Street USA I think of my first trip to WDW as a child and it brings back fond memries of my DF who has since passed. I remember the excitement on everbodys face and seeing the trolley and parades for the first time. As many times as I've been there I still think of my first trip the most. :mickey:

DeniseMB
08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
My favorite memory was when my DD3 at the time and her first trip. She was holding my hand as we entered MK and looked up at the castle and then to me and said "Is this a dream?" I will never forget that magical moment.:mickey:

BigBaloo
08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Loved the Penny Arcade & Theatre. My other favorite as a kid was the Magic Shoppe. I think my parents still have the fake can of peanuts w/ the snake that "jumped" out when you opened it that we bought in 1976. Love the cars & trolleys too.....

IloveDisney71
08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
This is going to sound corny but when I walk onto Main St. it's like I'm coming home. I have SO many memories of visits to the MK with family members and friends. I remember seeing my two DD's faces when they saw Main St. for the first time. They were totally amazed. I remember sitting on the curb, when I was a little girl, waiting for the parade to come by. :mickey:

brownie
08-20-2009, 09:11 AM
My favorite memory is watching SpectroMagic from below the train station.

Ms. Mode
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
You know how you have just watched the opening "show" and you enter Main Street and the "Proprietors" are out on the street smiling and greeting you like they really are glad to see you....that's it. :mickey:

Aurora
08-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Love walking in, hearing the music, the whistle of the train, going around the circle and knowing when you turn that corner you're going to see the castle. It's making me happy just thinking about it.

I miss the little side street that was covered in flowers. It was just lovely.

My most unfavorite memory was unfortunately on my first trip more than 30 years ago. I was walking down the Main Street sidewalk with my family and grabbed a branch above us while walking. It was full of dew from the early morning and sprinkled a woman walking in back of us. She yelled at me -- "you know, that was really asinine!" Guess there have always been a few crabby people at Disney World.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-20-2009, 09:27 PM
The Main Street Electrical Light Parade. I miss that!

Mysttree
08-23-2009, 07:41 PM
1. I have a picture of my father (he died in 1984) sitting on a bench in front of a cart of flowers. My sisters and I are sitting next to him and SO excited to be at WDW. This picture was taken just about a year before he died.
I still miss those carts of flowers!! :cry:
2. Looking up the street at Cinderella's castle
3. Watching the crowds thin at night as everyone is leaving after Fantasmic!

AdventurerKim
08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
1. Standing on Main Street at midnight on New Year's Eve 1999/2000 with my family
2. Main Street Electrical Parade
3. Penny Arcade
4. Ice Cream Parlor
5. Looking up at the castle

GoofyFan13
08-23-2009, 08:27 PM
My favorite memory of Main Street is walking down it for the very first time nad just taking everything, I felt so...at home, even though I had never been there before, ever ]ything felt so right, and it has ever since :mickey:

caryrae
08-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Mine is always stopping in the Bakery the 1st thing in the morning.

Another is one year for our Anniversary my wife and I both got a nice watch at the watch place on Main Street.

When we 1st walked in for our 1st time going to MNSSHP in 2006 and seeing it all decorated.

steamboat willy
08-23-2009, 10:09 PM
WDW Steamtrain whistle whooo whoo and bell clanging!
Popcorn smell, balloon vendors and Piano music.
First view of Cinderella's Castle.
Last night, Last turn before leaving, We will be Back!

bruin1344
08-24-2009, 01:08 PM
1. The background music
2. Smell of the bakery
3. View of castle ahead

poohbearkris
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
1. The view of the castle.
2. Seeing the Mickey balloons.
3. The Barbershop Quartet
4. The piano player off to the side by Crystal palace.

javamama
08-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I love watching my dh walking in the parking w/our kids whether he's pushing the stroller or holding someone's hand to stand behind them or to the side of them and just watch everyone's face is priceless.

DisneyorBust
08-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Favorite memory of Main Street:
Our first family visit was in January 2001. The most amazing part was the looks on the faces of my wife and children. Pure joy.

baldburke
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
My favorite part is sitting out in the rocking chairs on the porch at the photo station at about midday for a good 45 minutes or so just taking in the sights. Just being part of the world without doing anything.

Loweschevy
08-25-2009, 03:07 PM
One of my fondest memories as a kid are the cm holding the big bunches of mylar mickey head balloons for sale.

The smell of the bakery-Tollhouse cookies and icecream.

disneycutie165
08-25-2009, 04:01 PM
My Mainstreet memories:

1. After the park had officially opened and they opened the gates, all the CM's working on MS were outside waving to us as we walked by. They had on Mickey gloves and they were all out there!

2. Love the music they play at Casey's!

darthmacho
08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Like many people here, I associate Main Street with the beginning and ending of any visit to the Magic Kingdom.

At the start of the day, the air is just getting warm and is still thick with dew, the street is wet from that morning's washdown or perhaps overnight rain, the street is not yet crowded, allowing me to properly enjoy castle gazing as the area music is getting me in the mood for a day at MK.

In the evening, the street and castle are all lit up, the shops are bustling, the day might be over, but I now have a day of wonderful MK memories stored up waiting to be remembered fondly, and a nice clean room at my themed resort to return to for a well deserved rest.

Both scenarios can be heart-warming, but of course, I prefer the morning when you have the entire day ahead of you. :mickey:

DigitalDaredevil
08-25-2009, 10:56 PM
I too like Main Street at the end of the night, but there is nothing more optimistic in the day than to walk down Main Street knowing what lies ahead in the day. The smells of Main Street and the overall nostalgia of it are winners too.

DisneyOtaku
08-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I gotta say, it's the old Penny Arcade and the Theater that showed the Mickey cartoons. That's the place I first saw "Steamboat Willie."

Now, it's grabbing hot dogs at Casey's and getting ready for the fireworks!

lightyearfan
08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
our first time turning that corner and seeing that beauty of a castle will always be in our memories, and since then we always get jazzed up when we make that slight turn onto main street. sencondly if you get there early enough seeing the main street players is always a nice little treat, and the sweet smells that are coming out of the shops:mickey:, i also remember when the movie house played steamboat willy, now it's an art shop.

Victor

missnanse
08-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Coming through the tunnel and stepping onto that Magical Street. My heart beats faster, I breathe in the smells I see the buildings of yesteryear and I Am HOME. :mickey:

Belle619
08-31-2009, 09:32 AM
When my sister and I first went to WDW, we were waiting for a parade to start but didn't know quite where to stand. We ended up being near Casey's Corner, but because we had to keep the walkway clear, we were right tight up to the building.

During the parade, my sister took a picture of me - standing right next to the statue of Casey. It turned out to be such a cute picture, that now everytime we go back, we take our picture next to Casey.

Its also our meeting place if we ever get separated in a crowd. We always say "If I lose ya, we'll meet by Casey!"

It just makes me smile when I see him standing there. :baseball:

kemps@wdw
08-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Aaahhh...Main St. USA. It's what draws us all into other worlds! Including its own. A leisurely stroll down Main St (could be in my hometown), being pleasantly serenaded w/tunes of a bygone era, wondering which shop those mouth-watering smells are coming from, and not being able to pass them by w/o a tiny sample. I miss the flower carts that used to be on the left as you pass thru. Such beautiful colors. I REALLY miss the Main St Electrical Parade! But one thing I NEVER miss, is the Plaza Ice Cream Shop! (YUM):D:

Belle_0717
09-01-2009, 01:04 PM
I will always remember the penny arcade and cinema. We spent many a day in there and completely forgot about the rest of the park.

I love getting an 8 am ADR and seeing Main St EMPTY - the beauty is there without the screaming kids and yelling parents.

The smells from the bakery and confectionery are wonderful. Don't forget the fresh baked waffle bowls in the ice cream parlor.

I will always remember watching Wishes with my now DH. We had only been dating about 6 months when we went and I remember standing there in tears thinking I could never come back to WDW without him. I think this event solidified our relationship.

Now we return just the two of us and with the family (M&D, sis & hubby & nephew). We can't wait to go after we welcome our twins! There is just something so magical about Main Street!

VolMickey
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Marching down it during our high school marching band's appearance during the Tencennial celebration. Still give me goose-bumps... It was pure :magic:

rmsongs
09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
There are so many...........My favorite memories are probably from our first trip with our kids (10, 9, 4, 3 at the time) when the kids had the opportunity to join the afternoon parade and then be included in the evening show at the train station. Also, we have a little family tradition of always buying some of that amazing fudge at the confectionery. Another favorite is the Emporium when it was a separate shop, not part of a whole block-long store. Things keep coming to me, but I'll stop there. :cloud9:

Mickey91
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
One of my favorite memories is of the penny arcade and magic shop.:mickey:

brad192
09-02-2009, 12:37 AM
For me, it''s the "old school' Main Street". All the unique shops (especially the Magic Shop). I understand the reason for a "mass marketing" appeal to Main Street, but C'mon Guy's! This wasn't what Walt intended for his "hometown". Bring back the character, and the diversity that was. Frankly, if I want a shopping mall, I can go to my local area for a LOT less money. WDW logos just aren't that important to me...

grumpyguy
09-02-2009, 08:21 AM
favorite thing/"feeling" is the same everytime...
walking through the archway...making the turn and seeing the castle at the end of mainstreet,
an inspiring site for me to say the least:cloud9:

Mousemates
09-04-2009, 08:29 AM
For me, it''s the "old school' Main Street". All the unique shops... This wasn't what Walt intended for his "hometown". Bring back the character, and the diversity that was.

One of the things I most enjoyed my one and only trip to Disneyland was the fact that the fact that the magic shop, the Main Street Cinema, still were in existance and were still adding their own nostalgic charm to the park.

dog-ears
09-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Buying candy in the candy shop while the Dapper Dans serenaded us :mickey:

Jim&AngieMarriner
09-07-2009, 09:46 AM
For me it used to be the old Main Street with the MAgic shop and penny arcade. But our last trip I had the opportunity to be the Veteran of the Day and help with the lowering of the Flag at 5pm. Being part of the ceremony was great and it is something I will always cherish.

teambricker04
09-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Walking into MainStreet reminds me of my Aunt who was a CM and worked in MK as an exec assistant. She would come and walk up Main Street with us before heading back to work and disappear through a door in the Emporium. She passed away tragically so I always get pretty emotional on our first steps in MK on a trip.

Also, we always watch the "walking down Main Street USA" thing and my DSs LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My oldest who is 4yo always sings the song... once the dancers gave him one of their flags to wave.

The smells, the sounds... everything is so perfect ;)

DaisylovesDonald
09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Like others have said, it's those magnificent smells of popcorn and chocolate chip cookies, plus the nostalgia of just starting your trip and usually the place where we say goodbye at the end of the trip - good ole Main Street!

One of my most treasured Disney memories happened right on Main Street. It was after a wonderful evening my DH and I spent together at the MK - we got to see Spectro (with our chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches from The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor - delicious!) and Wishes. After Wishes, we headed out with the masses and stolling down Main Street, I looked up and standing on the train platform was Mickey himself! He was waving to all the guests and the CM's that were with him were telling us to have a magical night! I got so teary eyed - it was very special, like we all got to say goodnight to Mickey as we headed "home". :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
09-08-2009, 01:48 AM
I love:

1) Seeing my wife rocking in the rocking chairs holding my daughters who are asleep at 1a.m. as I return from riding all my favorite rides!:thumbsup:

2) Eating at Tony's Town Square late at night (preferably the last seating).

3) Seeing the headless horseman coming down the street. (Love how those hoofs beat the road)

4) The song "Flitterin".

coneygoil
09-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I love meeting the characters on Main Street. The last trip we were there, two of the lady street performers were out. My dad went to get their autographs and they went to town using that autograph book as a prop. They made it into a "christmas carol songbook" and started singing a really crazy version of the Twelve Days of Christmas. It was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen at WDW! My mom got it all on video too.

cemgal53
09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
My favorite memory is from the first trip that my DM and my 2 DDs took. We went the week after New Year's and we came one day and it was all decorated for Christmas,and then we came back the following morning and magically(of course) Main St was decorated for Spring! Not a Christmas flower or tree to be found. That was when we were hooked!:cloud9:

BelleandtheBeast
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I love seeing the CM that are carring the huge bunches of balloons. It reminds me of the first time I saw main street, and I still love the first site of the castle everytime. This time my DS2 will be seeing the castle for the first time, gotta make sure I have my camera ready for that expression.

joonyer
09-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Watching Wishes with a Casey's corner hot dog.
That's probably my favorite WDW experience. Pure Disney "Magic" (the fireworks, not the hot dog). :D

TinksGoofyMom
09-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Seeing my 6'3 DH carrying our 2 1/2 yo DD on his shoulders dressed as Tinkerbelle(her, not him), with the Castle in the background at dusk. Great photo op too!

Mad About Mickey
09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I loved the way the Emporium windows had minature animatronic fiqures for whichever Disney movie was coming out at the time. I can remember being completely enthralled for the ones for The Black Hole.

I have to say I really enjoyed the old arcade and Magic shop as well.

StitchFan#1
09-14-2009, 07:56 PM
1.we were at MK christmas day 2006 if anyone was there you rmember the torentail downpour on the parade and Jingle bells was sped up and mickey was all like OMG ITS RAINING GET ME INSIDE!
2. 2004 we were there for new years and my mom my dad and I were sitting on the porch steps of Tonys and they had paseed out mickey top hats and noise makers! As soon as the bell rang the lights dimed and the fireworks started it was amazing!:fworks:

syndrome
09-14-2009, 09:13 PM
1. the old penny arcade--how cool was that?!?!
2. the balloons, the photographers, the smell of cotton candy and popcorn
3. the feeling that you have arrived!!!!!

Laughin' place
09-15-2009, 01:41 PM
I really like the informal character meet and greets that happen in the plaza/town square just past the train station. When I was younger, you encountered characters at random. There are lots of good things to say about knowing where and when you can be guaranteed to meet your (or your child's) favorite character. But it is really fun to "run into" characters, especially the "rare" ones who dont have a time and place or whom you dont see everyday. On one trip, my youngest son SO wanted to meet Robin Hood (we were watching that one constantly before the trip). I told him that Mickey and I would try our best, but Id be surprised if we can into Robin (as he was busy tricking the King and Sheriff back home). On our last day, on the way out of the MK, there was a large group of rarely seen characters on Main St. We have some of the very BEST of our millions of Disney pictures of a very happy boy and an even happier daddy posing and playing with Robin. Pure Disney Magic:mickey:

snowflakegirl
09-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Like so many other people have said, there are so many memories. Most of all just the sense of being where you want to be, of stepping into the magic. Some specific memories are

1. the smell from the bakery, which makes me think of the fact that no one makes a chocolate croissant quite as good as their's
2. watching my then DH get a haircut from the Barber Shop. He'd been talking about doing it for months and was so excited for it.
3. watching the expression on the face of an old family friend when she saw the castle for the first time when we were in our 20s.
4. watching my parent's faces this past trip which was their first in 11 years as they realized that Disney World could still be a place of magic without little children.

brad192
09-16-2009, 02:03 PM
One thing I really enjoy doing is standing on the corner, just past Town Square, first thing in the morning & watch everyone's reaction when they turn the corner & see Cinderella Castle. Seems like everyone has a huge smile, and you can always tell the first-timers! They usually go a little crazy!:cloud9::joy::clappy::jaw::woohoo::faint::tr io::cloud9: