PDA

View Full Version : Rides in need of refurbishment!!!

spinnerf
08-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Here are three rides I think really need a facelift badly:

1. Imagination - simply the worst ride in all of disney, boring, not funny, doesnt appeal to kids (the playground afterwards is OK). If it was the one and only ride I ever went on in Disney I would never go back. It used to be so much better.....

2. The Muppets 3D - not that it still isnt still a bit funny and makes me laugh - but its getting old, the film itself has all the flickering black "artifacts" like an old time movie. I love hearing the rat make fun of tourists in the beginning, but I think they really need to make a new movie or new attraction.

3. Snow White - I know some people wont agree, and it is a classic ride. When I was on it this past trip we got stuck and the overhead lights came on... "Puff" - Magic gone, what a mess!! Im sure there is a way this ride could be brought up to speed or cleaned up a bit. Still love when the witch turns around in the beginning, scares the kids everytime..

MickeyandTink
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Tomorrowland Motor Speedway. :car:

It's more like Retroland Motor Speedway. It doesn't seem to have changed any since the first time I rode it in 1983. Still with a 1960's/70's theme and the same noisy, polluting engines. I'd be ok if they updated it either one of two ways. One, remodel the area to resemble Radiator Springs and do a "Cars" type of ride. Two, revamp the cars and the area to be more "green", either with electric or an alternative fuel (hydrogen cells?) powering the cars and updating the area to reflect a more forward-looking view.

PopeCharming
08-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I agree that Imagination is sorely in need of refurbishment. Perhaps the single greatest irony in all of Disney World is that its perhaps the least imaginative offering in Epcot.

Others? Carousel of Progress! That last scene is already a bit dated. Its got that 'what people in 1995 thought 2009 would look like' motif going for it. I really like Maelstrom, but it could use some new features after 20 years.

Having said that, I think the problem is that there have been too many refurbishments have gone horribly awry. I'm not a 1980s Epcot purist, but I found the Martin Short version of 'O Canada' unwatchable, the Gran Fiesta Tour comically bad, and the Spaceship Earth update a mixed bag that ends with 5 minutes going backwards in a set designed only with black drapes. Disney should really go back and look at the original Epcot rides, see what made them memorable and appealing, and articulate those qualities with the blessings of modern technology. The trouble with many of these new rides is that the special effects are wonderous, yet they lack the warmth and the bold ecumenical vision of past attractions. Take, for example, the "Tomorrow's Child" ending from Spaceship Earth- that was terrific! Even though I was only 10 years old when I went on it, it made me feel proud to be a member of humanity. I loved the flashing pictures and the song as our time machine vehicles continued their journey downward. Why, I ask, can't Disney stir those old heartstrings as they could before?

To get back to the topic, I'm all for refurbishment, so long as it maintains the spirit of the attraction at hand.

Bass T-bone
08-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Why, I ask, can't Disney stir those old heartstrings as they could before?

Money, money, money...

Until the economy turns around I think that Disney will put a freeze on any refinements and just simply maintain their facilities...

Just my thought...

oliver&bianca
08-18-2009, 11:41 AM
I know a lot of people will disagree, but........I think It's a Small World could use a little updating. I know it is a classic, and I somewhat enjoy it (just because it is at Disney), but Disney could do soooo much better. I mean, construction paper flowers???? Exposed ceiling tiles?? Just my opinion.

spinnerf
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree with the Gran Fiesta statement, absoultely terrible! I used to love the old Mexico ride, I kept humming the old song on the new ride, it never shows up, "May it go well for you", Isnt that what the ride used to say at the end? Who knew Donald Duck was from Mexico?

Mousemates
08-18-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree that Imagination is sorely in need of refurbishment. Perhaps the single greatest irony in all of Disney World is that its perhaps the least imaginative offering in Epcot.

Interesting word play...but to me the least imaginative ride in Epcot is the Gran Fiesta Tour...donald helps, but its pretty much a boat ride through a Mexican gift shop. Its like "Its a small world" without the charm.

CU Tiger
08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree with both the carousel of progress and Tomorrow land speedway. The carousel needs to be progressed and the speedway needs the cars of tomorrow.

Has the logs on Splash Mountain been updated yet? It seems like the last couple of time we went that the cushion pads were torn and really nasty:ack:. The ride itself is fine; it needs some maintenance and fixing up.:mickey:

szyper
08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I love the Cars Speedway idea!!!:car:

phillydan
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Having just returned, I am hoping that BTMRR gets some attention before my next trip. There are some pretty awful jolts when the cars engage the chain to pull them up the hills. I had to make sure my son's head did not smack the back of the chair. Surely they can smooth these lifts out some with some new/updated hardware.

And just a thought about Peter Pan...wouldn't it be great if they enclosed the waiting queue and pumped in some A/C?

Bass T-bone
08-20-2009, 08:32 AM
And just a thought about Peter Pan...wouldn't it be great if they enclosed the waiting queue and pumped in some A/C?

I'm sure the cast members loading the right couldn't agree more! :D

disneyphilip
08-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Having said that, I think the problem is that there have been too many refurbishments have gone horribly awry. I'm not a 1980s Epcot purist, but I found the Martin Short version of 'O Canada' unwatchable, the Gran Fiesta Tour comically bad, and the Spaceship Earth update a mixed bag that ends with 5 minutes going backwards in a set designed only with black drapes.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree.

I don't think those refurbishments are bad at all. They're very entertaining and do a great job of keeping those attractions new and fresh for the guests.

The previous incarnations had become quite dated anyway.

coneygoil
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
I wish Imagination would get a reverse! I adored the original ride with Dreamfinder and Figment. It was so inspiring. I wanted to go create things after getting off that ride. Then they changed it and it is so incredibly awful! No inspiration whatsoever. I miss Dreamfinder!!! And also they should bring back the old version of Imageworks(?), just modernized a little. The rainbow tunnel was cool.

I think Innoventions needs an update. I remember when it use to be Communicore and it was more interesting.

azcavalier
08-20-2009, 09:44 AM
While I personally don't care for the Imagination with Figment ride, by two DD's (9 and 4) both adore it. Now, it's really Figment they like, and so if they changed the ride back to Dreamfinder, they probably wouldn't mind. However, I'm mentioning it because the first poster said that kids didn't like it. That's not entirely true.

To me, the Tomorrowland Speedway is just awful. It's not futuristic, it's not tied to any Disney movie/characters, and it's not fun (for our family). I love the Radiator Springs idea, though! I don't know that it would fit the theme of the area, but a Cars based driving ride is a great idea. I would put it in Disney Hollywood Studios, though, maybe where the Backlot Studio Tour is currently. Isn't that supposed to be going away?

Ian
08-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I know a lot of people will disagree, but........I think It's a Small World could use a little updating.Small World was just updated like 3 or 4 years ago? :confused:

My list is looooooooooooooooong! There are just so many neglected, disappointing, and underwhelming attractions in WDW these days ... here's my top ten list. These aren't necessarily attractions that need to be "refurbished", per se. Some of them just need to be demolished completely and rebuilt!

Tomorrowland Speedway
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Stitch's Great Escape
Laugh Floor Comedy Club
Journey Into Your Imagination
Carousel of Progress (just some TLC, please!)
Gran Fiesta Tour
Indiana Jones Stunt Show
Ellen's Energy Adventure
World Showcase (they just need some new rides!!)

Ms. Mode
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Ok, I like SW just because of what it is, but "It's a Small World" :ack:

Daisy'sMom
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I love things just the way they are. With the exception of Imagination. And of course, COP needs a new ending. Oh, and don't forget how bad the end of Spaceship Earth is, that could use some adjustments.:mickey:

Drachengeist
08-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I have to agree with PopeCharming, who's point was not that refurbs are bad, but more to the point that the magic seems diminished in some of the most recent refurbs. The problem is not restricted to the major attractions also is that the care and attention to detail that used to be lavished on every item on the grounds seems to have slipped. The litmus test no longer seems to be "will this enhance / diminish the guest experience" and has been replaced with "is this a potential liability suit waiting to happen?". Of course it all comes down to $ and the fact that a couple million guests later nothing is ever as bright and shiny as they were when new...no mater how many coats of polish you put on it. Of course I have hope...for all that I miss the Kitchen Kabaret....Soaring is so....WOW.... now can we do that with the Country Bears ?:thedolls::thedolls:

Drachengeist
08-20-2009, 04:33 PM
As much as I loved that song I often wondered how many cast members had to be committed to the state institution after endless renditions of Tomorrow's Child ingrained itself into their subconcious.

Gator
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I strongly disagree with the op. My kids thought Figment was great. They are 2 and 4. Maybe 10+ kids don't like it, but little ones do. I went for the first time in December and thought it was a very clever ride for kids. And they think the play area is great!

As far as Muppetts and Snow White, they're still very good attractions. And there's nothing you can do about a ride stoppage and emergency lights coming on.

The ride I think needs the most help is Maelstrom. Don't get me wrong - I love this ride. But the effects, bears, pictures, and film could use a makeover.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Tomorrowland Motor Speedway all the way for me! It seems like such a waste of space, you get a better car ride at any of the Nascar Speedparks!

DD loves Figment, as much as it may not be as good as it used to be, she'd have a total fit if it changed. Don't forget that kids, new visitors (me included) don't know what most things "used" to be, so we can enjoy them for what they are.

spinnerf
08-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I My kids thought Figment was great. They are 2 and 4. Maybe 10+ kids don't like it, but little ones do. I went for the first time in December and thought it was a very clever ride for kids. And they think the play area is great!

As far as Muppetts and Snow White, they're still very good attractions. And there's nothing you can do about a ride stoppage and emergency lights coming on.

The only reason I said kids dont like Imagination is because my 6 year old daughter did not like it. Im glad yours did.

As for the Mupets - no doubt its a good attraction but the physical quality of the film is not very Disney-like, I think it has been played too many times. Snow White - lights or no lights, its just a hair better than fun house rides at the local summer time fairs, of course in my opinion.

Disneypixie513
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Star Tours--- I love this ride, but riding it more then twice is a bit dull. The concept is great, but I think they should have several "missions" that you would get a random.

CoP--- Another ride I love, but I have to say that the last scene does need to be redone. It almost makes me laugh whenever I see it.

Neo Fender
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
As far as WDW is concerned, I’m a bit of a nostalgic purist. I’ve only been about a dozen or so times since 1983, so most of the attractions haven’t had a chance to grow old on me. Granted, the parks do need to evolve but I was awestruck by Epcot in 1983 (my first visit to WDW).

The Journey Into (Your) Imagination overhaul was a huge letdown. I don’t like the huge canopy in the middle of CommuniCore and I miss the fountain in front of Spaceship Earth that was replaced by the tombstones. As hopelessly dated as it was, I even liked the old Tomorrowland. I could nitpick over a thousand of things but again I understand that you can’t please everyone.

grumpyguy
08-21-2009, 12:17 PM
i'm with the ever growing group who has the whole "car's"/radiator springs concept for the tomorrowland speedway.
i'm into nostalgia as much as the next guy but
c'mon..the fumes and noise created by the speedway are so "non-disney".i hear the cars running and i'm swept from disney magic back to the local go-kart track.
great attraction in it's day..but it's time to upgrade...:thumbsup:

indytraveler
08-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Only have a couple without repeating everyone else's comments...

Country Bears (been saying this for years)
Tomorrowland Speedway (same reasons)
Tiki Birds (Iago :thedolls:)

darthmacho
08-21-2009, 06:13 PM
The Speedway. Get rid of those smelly, noisy, gas guzzlers and make them futuristic, quiet green-friendly cars, and make them faster. :number1: