PDA

View Full Version : What hotel do you rec. for 2 adults 3 children and a baby?

txaustmom
08-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Recently we caught the Disney bug in May whilst travelling to CA's Disneyland.

I am now planning our next trip to Disneyworld next September, it's early I know, but I like to plan ahead :)

We will have 2 adults (hubby and myself) and then 3 children (their ages will be 8, 5, 3) and it looks like we are expecting baby number 4, due in April, so baby will be 5 months.

Orginally I had planned to stay at the Caribbean resort and have all 3 kids stay in one bed, they are not big kids and I thought we would get away with it. I just wonder if I could still get away with it and have a crib put into the room also?

I wanted to try and avoid the Delux hotel route and really wanted to stay at one of the disneyworld resorts.

Does anyone have experience with taking 4 kids? If so what hotel would you reccomend.

Thanks

Melissa

greengeen
08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
You would have to get 2 rooms at a moderate unless you stay at the cabins at Fort Wilderness.

Goofy4TheWorld
08-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Staying at Caribbean Beach will not be allowed in only one room. They allow 4 people plus one child under 3 in a crib, so your only option to stay at Caribbean Beach would be to get two rooms :(

A second option would be to stay at one of the Value suites at All Star Music.

A third option would be to get two regular rooms at any Value resort (All Star Movies, Music, or Sports, or at Pop Century).

A fourth option would be to get a cabin at Fort Wilderness.

Several Deluxe rooms would allow 5 plus a child under 3 in a crib, but of course they are pricey and would only give you one bathroom, so two connecting rooms at a Value resort is usually seen as a better choice.

And finally, with this being your first post,
:welcome: to Intercot!

Pirate Granny
08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
The only moderate hotel for three children would be Port of Orleans Riverside, as they have a trundle bed...but I don't think they'll let you have a crib in there also...so...either Fort Wilderness Cabins (bedroom has one double and bunk-beds) and a murphy bed in the living room. or the family suites at the All Star Music. or two connecting rooms in the value may not be too pricey.
:pirate:

Emme&TeddysMommy
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
WELCOME TO INTERCOT!!!!

I would recommend two adjoining rooms. This way you have enough beds to go around and two bathrooms. We have done this in the past at Pop Century and it worked great for us. Happy Planning!

I also know that the all star music resort has family suites. :mickey:

txaustmom
08-17-2009, 10:06 PM
I was trying to avoid the cabins, just not my idea of a vacation. As well as value resorts.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to stay at a delux resort and have all kids in one room with crib than to get 2 rooms at a moderate resort?

thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated :)

Melissa

Goofy4TheWorld
08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
I can give you prices for June 2010, since that is what my Excel spreadsheet is set up for.

The cheapest rooms at any Moderate (standard view) is $416.25 per night for two rooms, tax included.

I am pretty sure that the cheapest Deluxe option that allows 5 people plus a crib is the Contemporary. A room in the Garden Wing, Standard View, for one night would cost you $371.25. That would give you two queen beds, a pull-out sofa bed, plus you could have a crib.

Again, this is June 2010 weekday prices, but the general idea should still apply in September.

So yes, one Deluxe room can be cheaper than two Moderate rooms.

txaustmom
08-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Goofy......thanks for the rates. I beleive September is the low season so I shoudl expect to pay less than that correct?

Plus is free dining usually available in Sept? If so does it cover all people in the room?

Any suggestions as to what time in Sept. is best?

Thanks, you'll are awesome!!

Goofy4TheWorld
08-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes, September is cheaper.

September weekday rates would come out to $335.25 for two Moderate rooms (standard view), versus $320.63 for one Contemporary room (Garden Wing, Standard view), all tax included for one night.

Obviously, the price difference becomes smaller during September, so two bathrooms at a Moderate resort may be more appealing to you at these prices, but if you are okay with one bathroom, one Contemporary room is still cheaper than two Moderate rooms.

And yes, whether you buy the dinning plan or get it for free, the plan provides dinning credits for all guests on the reservation age 3 or over. While history has shown that September is usually a busy month for the free dinning offer, who knows what the future holds for 2010.

txaustmom
08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks Goofy!! I thought Sept. would be busy for free dining, but that is why I am trying to get organized early to get in as soon as it is offered. We are not bound by any days, so weekdays is prob just fine for us at Disney and I expect not as busy.

Do you know the time of year free dining in Sept is offered and when I may need to look at booking?

Also what is the booking fee? If any.

Thank you again to all those who are helping :)

JPL
08-17-2009, 11:52 PM
:welcome: to Intercot

May I offer the suggestion to contact Intercot's Official Travel Agency Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/) I would not a book a trip without them. The service is free and they are extremely helpful and they will make sure you get the best deal possible. You can book your trip whenever you feel comfortable and if and when Free Dining is offered they will change your reservation for you.

Goofy4TheWorld
08-18-2009, 07:47 AM
First, allow me to echo JPL's post. I am a control freak, so using a travel agency was a hard pill to swallow, but I am using them for the first time for my June 2010 trip, and have already saved $200 that I would not have thought of on my own. Using Magical Journey's travel agency is a win-win situation for you. There is NO FEE to use them, and they will always be on the lookout for discounts that are released after you book, and will apply them ASAP IF they become available. If your dates are flexible, they will let you know about any discounts that would be available if you moved your travel dates at tad one way or another as well. You can't loose by using them.

As far as when to book, I think that depends on whether or not you intend to go to Disney World regardless of whether or not they offer free dinning. If you intend on going either way, I say book as soon as you know your dates, even if your dates remain flexible. If your budget requires that a discount be available, AAA room rates saved me $200 (10%) over 7 nights, and I believe AAA discounts are higher during the off-seasons, so perhaps you could guarantee some savings that way, and change your reservation IF free dinning comes along later. Keep in mind that AAA rate availability is limited, so booking early is the only way to lock them in for sure. You do not have to be a AAA member until you check in. If you must have free dinning to take this trip, then I am not sure what advantage you would have in booking before any free dinning offer is made available, so perhaps someone else will come along and chime in on that later.

There is no fee to book directly with Disney (or by using Magical Journeys) but there is a deposit. The deposit varies depending on what type of reservation you make (a room-only reservation versus a package reservation) and would be equal to one night's stay for a room-only reservation (fully refundable up to 7 days before check-in) or for a package reservation, the deposit is a flat $200, fully refundable up to 45 days, and still refundable after that, but a small penalty eventually applies (I'm not sure when?)

momof3+twins
08-18-2009, 08:27 AM
I think that you said all the kids were over 3 and then you also had one baby. So, that would be too many in one room at most resorts. I have checked into the cheapest way to go with my 5 kids. Pop is what we chose. It is cheaper than the Music Suite. It is really a nice resort. I like it better than the All Stars. I don't think you could go to most resorts without leaving off a kid on the reservation which I think most people have a problem with lieing about. Even most of the deluxe resorts only allow 4 plus one baby in a crib.
Now, let me also tell you that I used to think "we are on vacation and jamming into one room would be great family time". Well, one trip we traveled with my mother and we added a night onto the ressie so it was separate from the other ressie ( we had to change rooms the second day). Well, first day we weren't connecting with my mother. We were way down the hall from her. I was expecting to use her room but the kids said no to that. I had all the kids in my room that night. And let me tell you (two were in a crib) that it was way too small. I could not wait to get into two rooms. And the two rooms are great. With a large family they are really needed.
With that being said, where ever you decide you will probably have to get two rooms.

g8rgirl29
08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
If you rented DVC points, usually $10-13/point, It would run you approx $312-405/night at OKW. You would get a 2 bedroom villa with 2 queen sized beds, 1 king size bed, queen sleeper sofa, porta-crib, full kitchen, washer & dryer and 2 bathrooms. You wouldn't be eligible for free dining though (you can still get the dining plan, just not free). But with 4 little ones the kitchen and laundry room could be worth every penny. PM me if you would like any info. We rented DVC points last year and saved quite a bit. There is a great section here on Intercot on things to consider for DVC rental. Bay Lake Towers 1 bedroom sleeps 5 so they might accomodate you too(as infant would be in porta crib). The standard view would run you approx $288-374/night.

poohbearkris
08-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Just thought I would let you know that I will be staying at POR with 3 adults and 3 children - 5, 2, and 1. We are getting a room with a trundle bed so my 2 year old will sleep there and my 5 year old will sleep with one of the adults as he is a still sleeper. The 1 year old will have a crib. Hope this helps. Leaving in 33 days!!!!!:cloud9:

TammiMcMan
08-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Even most of the deluxe resorts only allow 4 plus one baby in a crib.Not correct. Only the WL and AKL have the 4 to a room limitation.

With that being said, where ever you decide you will probably have to get two rooms.This really depends on budget, but as Goofy4theworld pointed out, the Contemporary offers rooms that can be less expensive than booking 2 moderate rooms. Options for one room that can accommodate 5 include:

BC
BWI
CR
GF
Poly
YC
Dolphin
FW Cabins
POR
AS Suite
2 bedroom DVC (some AKL 1 bedroom DVC allow 5)

mom2morgan
08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Not correct. Only the WL and AKL have the 4 to a room limitation.

This really depends on budget, but as Goofy4theworld pointed out, the Contemporary offers rooms that can be less expensive than booking 2 moderate rooms. Options for one room that can accommodate 5 include:

BC
BWI
CR
GF
Poly
YC
Dolphin
FW Cabins
POR
AS Suite
2 bedroom DVC (some AKL 1 bedroom DVC allow 5)
But doesn't the original poster have SIX in their family - 3 children AND a baby? I don't know if any of the above options accomodate that...

TammiMcMan
08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
But doesn't the original poster have SIX in their family - 3 children AND a baby? I don't know if any of the above options accomodate that...The first child under the age of 3, is not counted towards the occupancy of the room. In the OP's case, they are a family of 5 + one child under the age of 3. Hope that helps clarify. All the resorts I mentioned would be available to them until the baby reaches 3 years old.

MidnTPK
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Another alternative is getting two rooms at the Swan or Dolphin. You'd get Deluxe service and space at a moderate price. And this year adding a second room to already discounted reservations was only $99 a night. Rates for 2010 aren't out yet, but it could be a very nice alternative.

princessesmom
08-19-2009, 07:42 PM
We are a family of 6 and we stay at the FW cabins. I know you said that wasn't your idea of a vacation, but they really are great with small children. You have daily maid service just like any other resort. You can put all the kids in the bedroom and there is a double murphy bed in the LR for you and your husband. We don't cook, but we do have breakfast in the cabin most mornings. This saves lot of time and money. We also keep lots of snacks. The just re-did the pool area there, which was my one complaint. I think for the money, it is the best option for a family of 6.

Tippy
08-20-2009, 08:40 PM
First off you have not already done it go and register at the Disney Travel Website. It will let you plan out trips and save them for later use. Also by registering you may receive an occassional email with a discount pin code for booking. We booked our upcoming trip with a 40% room discount pin that I got last January. Even if the discount is for a value when you call you can ask that it can get put towards a deluxe.
As far as a room with a little one I would recommend that all of you stay at the Contemporary. There will be enough room to sleep all 5 of you and room for a crib. You can then walk to & from the park. It is helpful to be able to go back to your room when needed. With small children most of the time would be spend at MK. Get a garden room & book early since this resort does fill up quickly.
If you are booked and free dinning is announced and it is to be during your stay you can contact Disney and change your reservation to include the free dinning.
I always go with the best deal. The 40% less was better then free dinning for our trip in September.
Hope you have a great trip next year.

momof3+twins
08-21-2009, 06:47 AM
I still think the cheapest option is 2 Value rooms. I don't know if you want the cheapest option though.

diz_girl
08-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Ditto for a standard Garden Wing room at the CR. Although it is more expensive than two Value rooms or a Value suite, the transportation at the CR is a lot better than the Values. You can walk or take a monorail to the MK. You also take the monorail to EPCOT. You only have to worry about buses for AK and possibly DHS (if you're not taking the boat to/from EPCOT for DHS).

The monorail also opens up your dining options, because you are now a short monorail ride from the restaurants at the Poly and GF. You are also a short boat ride from the restaurants at WL and FW.

If you don't mind loading four kids onto and off of buses everywhere you go, or if you are driving to/from the parks, then a suite at a value may be a good option. But if you do a value and will be taking the buses, you may want to avoid park opening and closing, or else you may have to wait in line for a while with possibly hot, tired or irritable kids.

jonahbear2006
08-26-2009, 02:41 AM
i would stay in a deluxe that allows for 5 people cause it sounds like shortly you may never be able to do this again. we did it last september for that very reason. once our 4th child turns 3 we wont ever be able to afford deluxe until we buy into dvc; which i see us doing in the next 5 yrs. But i would do it while you have the chance. Shell out the money and stay at the beach club. they have an amazing place in the pool for small children and you can sit on the bottom of the pool, in the sand, and hold the baby. PERFECTO!

jonahbear2006
08-26-2009, 02:42 AM
I still think the cheapest option is 2 Value rooms. I don't know if you want the cheapest option though.

Actually, Riverside Moderate is about $7 a night cheaper. We toyed with the idea of 2 rms in value but we opted for the waterslide in the pool, though it WOULD be nice to have two bathrooms.

momof3+twins
08-26-2009, 07:57 AM
You know everyone is saying that the 2 conncecting rooms aren't guranteed. I'd go with the Music suites. You guys can spread out a bit. Don't try to jam into that room. You will go insane!

vamaggie
08-26-2009, 08:36 AM
I would also vote for the CR garden view room. With 3 young (ie can't be left to roam alone) kids plus an infant I would want quick access to both the parks & the room. While 2 values may give you more room (for what looks like not too much difference in price) it could take a long time to get back to the rooms for naps, rest time for crankys etc on the bus system.

darthmacho
08-26-2009, 10:56 AM
TWO ROOMS!? Just because you happen to have 4 kids? Luckily I only have two, so that's not an issue, but I'm looking for the best price on ONE room at a moderate. Big families have it rough going to WDW, TWO ROOMS AND SIX PLANE TICKETS? I thought WDW was family friendly? :soapbox: