PDA

View Full Version : DVC and dining

phlo8810
08-17-2009, 07:55 PM
We are purchasing a dvc in November and I was wondering what most people do about dining. Do you opt to buy one of the dining plans? Or do dvc members get some sort of discount card? We've always gotten a ddp but it adds up after a while.

Mickey'sGirl
08-17-2009, 08:26 PM
We are also new to DVC!

DVC members are eligible for a discount on AP purchases. With an annual pass, one is eligible to purchase the Tables in Wonderland card for $75. It entitles the bearer to 20% off at most Table Service locations, including food and adult beverages.

Personally, we find the TIW card to work better for us, but we have friends who purchase the DDP when they stay.

Congratulations on your purchase!

DVC2004
08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
There are some small discounts available for members ( 10% off mostly). The dining plan is available at regular price to add to your stay is you wish. If you purchase Annual Passes with the DVC discount, you can also then purchase the Tables in Wonderland card which will give a 20% discount at all restaurants. That's a pretty good deal. All AP holders can purchase that 9DVC or not) and I think it's $50.

Pirate Granny
08-17-2009, 09:41 PM
I know that the new TIW card is $75...what I can't remember is if you use it I believe you must pay 18% gratuity...which almost negates your 20% discount...when the card was $50 it was a much better deal as there was no set gratuity then either (although we tip 15% anyway).
:pirate:

MinnieMommie
08-18-2009, 06:00 AM
If you go to the DVC website and check under member perks (under WDW) you will find a list of dining venues which offer DVC members discounts. The discount ranges from 10 to 20%. :mickey:

DVC Mike
08-18-2009, 06:37 AM
If you purchase Annual Passes with the DVC discount, you can also then purchase the Tables in Wonderland card which will give a 20% discount at all restaurants. That's a pretty good deal.

That's what we do.

Tinkermom
08-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I know that the new TIW card is $75...what I can't remember is if you use it I believe you must pay 18% gratuity...which almost negates your 20% discount...when the card was $50 it was a much better deal as there was no set gratuity then either (although we tip 15% anyway).

You need to think about the fact that you already will be leaving a tip so in my mind I take the tip out of the equation. We also always leave at least 15% and usually 20% so I guess we can look at it as getting the tip free. :shrug: It is also great that the 20% includes alcohol!:marg:

We also get AP's with TIW! :thumbsup:

Mackflava99
08-18-2009, 08:58 AM
We are DVC and we use the DDp-
this past june i worked it out and we did come out positive, but in reality you should try to get your ADRs first and if you get what you want, then its ok- if you are just going to restaurants you dont want to go to- it may not be worth it.

FutureCorpsFan
08-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Being DVC members, I recommend trying a number of the options to see what works best for you. We find that with a larger number of people in your party, the DDP usually does not pay to have, unless you break your groups up. The reason is you find yourself fighting to get to table service dinners that take 2-3 hours to complete. That typically means your not out in the parks enjoying yourself.

When it's just my wife and son, we have some freedom to plan and explore new restaurants. From a money perspective, we've found that the DDP is more expensive over paying per meal. That's because when not forced with having to think about getting the full value of the DDP (ie. making sure you eat every meal), we find we usually end up eating lighter meals twice a day with a snack here and there. We have left Disney vacations with meal unused meal credits. Still, there is something to be said about ordering anything you want on the menu or trying different restaurants.

I recommend trying the plan first and make sure you get your reservations in time - which means you'll have to plan. Othewise you'll be frustrated with restaurant availability.

phlo8810
08-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I think we will be getting an AP so the TIW card might work for us.

Patti
09-12-2009, 08:50 PM

A 18% gratuity is automatically added to your bill. By using the TWI card, we've had meals at restaurants we normally wouldn't have.