PDA

View Full Version : Fruitless endeavor or actual possibility?

Quixote
08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
So, I leave for my freshmen year in college in 3 days and probably the most exciting aspect of this new chapter in my newfound eligibility to participate in the internship program at WDW. However, I drive an ice cream truck in the summer and would not be able to leave the kids on my route high and dry all summer. I also would not be able to take a semester off at any point in the near future to take classes there.

So what I was thinking was trying to go down there for my month off over christmas break. Does disney make special arrangements for something like that, or am I wasting my time? I sent an email to disney over the weekend and they still havent gotten back to me

:mickey:

Imagineer1981
08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
I am no expert, but I do not see Disney allowing you into an intership program for month. Unfortunately I think you will have to make the sacrifice of not doing the ice cream truck for the opportunity of having a Disney internship on your resume, especially if you cannot miss a semester. Your only other option would be a seasonal employee who only works a few weeks/months a year, but they are not currently hiring those positions.

TheRustyScupper
08-17-2009, 04:15 PM
1) One month would not be practical for WDW.
. . . 1-day orientation
. . . 2-4 days classroom training based upon job
. . . 2-weeks on-the-job training
2) They only hire Seasonal
. . . if you are full/part-time going Seasonal
. . . if you are a past CM

KAJUNKING
08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
i understand the kids and thier ice cream are important but as pp said a disney internship on your resume could be pretty good and im sure the experience will be great, im sure the kids will find some other outlet for ice cream

buzznwoodysmom
08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
We have an ice cream truck that comes into our neighborhood. While the kids love it when it comes, its not something they miss or talk about when it doesn't come. they don't even notice. Trust me from a parent of kids who love ice cream, do not put off your own dreams because of an ice cream truck route. These kiddos will survive without you.

brownie
08-17-2009, 07:38 PM
The college program follows school semesters, so you wouldn't have to necessarily give up your summer job. You'd be getting college course credits as well, so you wouldn't be taking time off from school. You might want to get more information from Disney.

Mousemates
08-17-2009, 11:09 PM
We have an ice cream truck that comes into our neighborhood. While the kids love it when it comes, its not something they miss or talk about when it doesn't come. they don't even notice. Trust me from a parent of kids who love ice cream, do not put off your own dreams because of an ice cream truck route. These kiddos will survive without you.

:ditto:

98'cpTyphoonGuard
08-18-2009, 08:41 AM
I paticipated in the college program in the fall of 1998, so things may have changed a bit. But, to my knowledge only doing a one month internship is not an option. Perhaps your best bet would be to try to get the summer internship or in a year or two take an academic leave of absence (if your school requires it) and apply to do your internship for the fall or spring semester. The internships are a little less competitive for the fall and spring. At any rate, it is a once in a lifetime experience.

g8rgirl29
08-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I say hire someone to take over your ice cream truck for the summer and try for the internship!!

DisneyOtaku
08-18-2009, 09:40 AM
I think it's sweet you don't want to abandon your ice cream route for the kids, but Disney on your resume is going to look 1000 times better than ice cream truck driver. I am sure you or whoever you work for could find a replacement for this summer while you are in Orlando.