PDA

View Full Version : how nuts are we?

kwhitt3202
08-17-2009, 11:41 AM
We have our vacation paid for including plane tickets but no spending money. Wea re looking at going from Poly-garden room-deluxe dinning to Wilderness lodge -courtyard -deluxe so we can have some spending money. How nuts is this and haow is the Wilderness lodge during the holiday season?

Tinkerbella16
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Not crazy at all. You'd actually be saving quite a bit of money and honestly I think during the holiday season theres no other place better than Wilderness Lodge. It is absolutely breathtaking all year around. I would say go for it!!

Gregandmel
08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Last October we were originally scheduled to be at the Poly, then switched to WL Courtyard View and it saved us over $900 and we were thrilled with the change! You are not nuts at all and I think you will be very happy with your decision. You have the boat launch to MK and the Electric Water pagent floats by the dock each evening as well. The theming is beautiful and on occasion, we would go over to the Poly for dinner or lunch and had a lot of fun. Actually, the WL seemed much quieter to us than the Poly anyways. Tons of people at the Poly visiting and eating/shopping. I think, considering your situation, you made an excellent choice!:thumbsup:

kwhitt3202
08-17-2009, 12:16 PM
if we go courtyard it will save $600 and if we go courtyard bunk $300.
What are some special things about the Wilderness Lodge?

Mousemates
08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
not nuts at all...WL is a special place during the holidays...to me it has more of a Christmas feel than any of the other resorts. The lobby is fantastic at Christmas and the whole northwest log theme keeps you in prime holiday cheer. While you will likely miss the convenience of the monorail at the poly...you still have boat service to the mk and can always ride a boat to the contemporary and catch the monorail there.

Gregandmel
08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
if we go courtyard it will save $600 and if we go courtyard bunk $300.
What are some special things about the Wilderness Lodge?

The theming is fantasic, you won't get bored even walking around the resort! Our kids loved the pool - they have 2 hot tubs which are next to a geyser that goes off once an hour (like Old Faithful at Yellowstone). A great wooden walkway which takes you down to the boat dock. We loved the peacefullness of it and the view at Courtyard are great (we did Courtyard View bunk beds and had room 4169 which was awesome). Bus service was fast & efficient and we were always the 1st place picked up (it then heads to other Deluxe resorts or Ft. Wilderness). You really won't be dissapointed. I"ve heard that WL is one of the best Christmas-themed resorts also!

BigRedDad
08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
The theming during Christmas was incredible. It was decorated immaculately. As for having spending money, I would switch in a heartbeat. I could not imagine going and not spending anything. It is just not possible.

Seasonscraps
08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
The theming during Christmas was incredible. It was decorated immaculately. As for having spending money, I would switch in a heartbeat. I could not imagine going and not spending anything. It is just not possible.

ITA! WL is beautiful!
The Poly is nice but I'd rather have some peace of mind and some extra cash for vacation.

wildernesslady
08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Go with the WL. You will not be disappointed. The holidays are the best time to go.

kwhitt3202
08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
thanks we just made the ****ch now on to dinning changes.

mom2morgan
08-17-2009, 07:16 PM
thanks we just made the ****ch now on to dinning changes.
I'm asboluting DYING to know what you originally wrote that looked like a naughty word...

kemps@wdw
08-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Wise choice...VERY wise choice! :thumbsup: You will NOT be sorry! The WL is stunning! From the second you enter the beautiful, cavernous lobby, you'll know your decision was the right one. The atmosphere, overall, is more relaxed and serene, thanks to the theme and the music. It may be my imagination, but it seems we spend less time on transportation when we stay @ WL. Free-form rock pool and hot tub(s) area, and a real geyser. The courtyard view is perfect w/a bonus view overlooking Bay Lake. And the wood walkway winds down thru the woods to the boat dock. (which is my FAVE place to be @ sunrise, in my jammies, w/my AM coffee). WCC is a usual visit for us (loud but tasty), and we do Roaring Forks at least 2-3 times (portions large enought to share). Trout Pass Bar (next to the pool) has the best "Dirty Bananas"! Truly a wilderness paradise.:thumbsup:

Gregandmel
08-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm asboluting DYING to know what you originally wrote that looked like a naughty word...

Me toooooooooo!!!!!! My head is going through all sorts of combos! :silly::laughing:

Mickey91
08-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Actually, as far decor for the holiday season, WL far out weighs the Poly!! WL is absolutely beautiful!!!! Even during the regular season, these two resorts kind of battle it out for us. The only thing the Poly has over the WL is the monorail. But for Christmas, I would think you were crazy to choose the Poly over WL!! :mickey:

EPCOTGAL1
08-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Be excited! Be VERY excited! You are staying on Disney property in a beautiful resort. The WL lobby is just "ginormous" and such an awsome sight! Although I have not stayed there during the holiday season, only summer, I'm sure it is going to be just beautiful for the holidays. Although I wish the quick service was a bit bigger, everything else the WL has will more than make up for it! Enjoy your trip :mickey:

A Mouse Fan
08-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Be prepared to go :jaw: when you walk into the WL at Christmas time. I was blown away, the decorations are stunning. We stayed at the WL for the first time in 2004 and probably will never stay anywhere else. It is our home resort and we LOVE it. It is SO peaceful and relaxing and I could sit on my balcony and watch the geyser and the pool interaction all day. You will NOT be disappointed! We are going December 11-16th and are looking forward to it!

jnfr2424
08-19-2009, 08:11 AM
WL is an awesome resort and during the holiday season it will be outstanding!!!!
You made a great choice just make sure whn you get there one night curl up with a good book in front of that HUGE fireplace! Plus the water launch to MK is great!!

prttynpnk
08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
I think it sounds great!

brownie
08-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Not crazy at all, especially if it will free up some cash for you. The Wilderness Lodge is sort of fitting for the holidays, especially with all the decorations.

coneygoil
08-25-2009, 08:31 AM
I stayed at WL during Christmas in '95. It was decorated so beautiful! I'm sure it's still the same way. While you're staying there, you'll wish it was cold so to enjoy the comfy fireplaces and lodge cabin atmosphere. I adore it there!

The only thing I didn't like was the bus system. You had to wait a long time back in '95 for any bus. I thought that had changed when I visited WL in '06, but I still had to wait a long time!

darthmacho
08-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Wilderness Lodge is my favorite resort. I would downgrade to an All-Star if the alternative means staying home. You always need spending money, of course, so you made the wise choice. Now you can shop till you drop at the Mercantile. Also, you may not be on the monorail, but you can take the boat to Magic Kingdom indtead!

Have fun! :mickey:

MuchLovedMama
08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
That naughty word had to have been switch like a light switch (the thing you flip up & down to turn on the light). :secret: Or maybe not...it didn't star mine out. Maybe there was a typo & it was bad...

We must be the only ones out there that don't spend much while we are there. We went last September & had free dining. They only thing we spent money on was face painting & some drinks. I'm sure we only need $50 out of pocket.