PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Tooth Advice?

SandmanGStefani24
08-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, i've put off getting my only wisdom tooth removed as long as i could, but today i chipped it and its gonna have to go soon. I am pretty tough about most things, but the dentist is one of those things that still brings out the scared child in me. Anyone who's had them removed, can you tell me what to expect? Is it as bad as everyone says it will be? (yes, mine is impacted) :( Or, is it not as bad as it used to be?

Thanks all...

Wayne
08-16-2009, 08:23 PM
It's been a while. My 4 impacted teeth were removed in 1990 (or 91). The oral surgeon gave me some good drugs while in the chair and afterward and I had no problems. Just keep the site well rinsed (you'll receive instructions) and you probably won't have any problems. Good luck.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-16-2009, 08:39 PM
drugs, drugs and drugs!

Quite seriously, my brother got his out a couple of years ago, and was back at work the next day!

He got a drug that greatly reduced the swelling, and a painkiller for the first couple of days. Keeping the site clean is critical, but it is nothing like the saga it used to be.

Good Luck :mickey:

garymacd
08-16-2009, 09:04 PM
I had two removed some years ago. I don't remember the procedure, but I do remember the aftermath. There was a little discomfort, but with the help of some Tylenol 2's, it wasn't too bad.

dmosher
08-16-2009, 11:03 PM
I had all of my teeth out as well as an impacted other tooth all at once. I elected to be unconscious and when I woke up it was done. A bit of pain after but totally worth it.

I do recommend being asleep though, it was the better solution for me as I hate going to dentists.
:pipes:
D

Jeri Lynn
08-17-2009, 06:29 AM
I know it can be scary. I had four of my wisdom teeth out. The most important thing is to follow the doctor's post surgical instructions, including no drinking out of straws, spitting, smoking, etc. I did experience some swelling and bruising and I also developed a dry socket and that was painful but I got over it.

My three daughters have had their wisdom teeth out and had absolutely no problem, barely any swelling and no bruising.

Good Luck with your surgery.

DISNEYFIX
08-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Knowing what I know now. There is no way I would bother to stand the toothache you must have versus having it taken care :thumbsup:of. Call for an appointment TODAY it will be a lot better shortly.

DisneyCouple07
08-17-2009, 01:02 PM
I had 2 removed about 3 years ago before my DW were married. One had come in sideways and hurt like all hell, but being a big chicken I let it be. After having that one in my lower jaw for a good year or two, another sprouted in my upper jaw and hit a nerve causing my face to swell to the point that I could not see out of my left eye. Since the wedding was only a 2 months away, I opted to have both removed (a week apart—still to chicken to do it all at once).

My oral surgeon was great and it really didn't hurt when he removed them—there was some discomfort and throbbing that night, but some painkillers took care of it. Just make sure you take care of it and listen to what your dentist tells you.

Good luck.:mickey:

Dsnygirl
08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I hear you on the "being scared of the dentist" thing... I have got to be the biggest scaredy-cat on the face of the earth when it comes to going. I am 41, and still terrified. :blush:

I had to have 2 wisdom teeth removed last year, one of which was impacted... and all I can tell you is that going to sleep was the best thing I did, as there is now nothing frightening about it to remember.

I counted backward from 10 and remember getting to about 4... then woke up in the "recovery room" with my DH sitting there smiling at me... I was quite the zombie, I guess. I had a bit of nausea from the meds, but once they were out of my system, 800 of Ibuprofen got me through the next few days, I followed the instructions to the letter, and was fine in a day or two. (I do know of people who have gone to work the next day, but I was not one of them... I opted for the couch for a couple of days. ;))

All in all, though, it was fine... good luck to you, let us know how you fare!

starryeyes21
08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
I had my wisdom tooth removed two years ago. The best advice I can give is to let them put you to sleep. I was very much awake when they pulled mine, with only Novocaine and "sweet air" for the pain :cry:. It was not enough. I felt and heard the tooth go. Wisdom teeth are tough little suckers and I remember the oral surgeon, literally, shaking my head to get it out. It hurt and I felt way too much.

The aftermath wasn't that bad. I felt a little yucky for a day or two. I was unable to take the pain meds because they made me sick. I stuck with advil and was fine. There was no swelling and very little bleeding after the fact. If you follow the oral surgeons instructions you shouldn't have a problem healing and you get to eat all your favorite mushy foods. I lived on pudding. A week or so later the stitches fell out and that was the end of it.

It's not so bad. You'll do fine.

pink
08-17-2009, 07:50 PM
How you feel beforehand is alot worse than the procedure itself. I had to have my wisdom tooth removed last year and mine was also impacted. My insurance didn't cover being put under for the surgery so I just had to use novacaine. They used a lot of it, if I felt the smallest hint of pain they would shoot more into my mouth, my tongue, my cheek everywhere. The worst you will feel is extreme pressure on your mouth and many hands in your mouth at once. The worst part for me was when you hear the tooth crack apart, kind of gross. Afterwards is ok if you follow their instruction. I had to take the pain killers every 4 hours and just slept it off. Make sure you have someone to drive you home and pick up your medication the day of, also don't forget to had lots of chicken noodle soup and bread handy. I found that the soup wasn't filling so I would dip the bread in it so I was filled and could also eat it at the same time. Don't worry about it too much, so many people go through it you will be ok. :mickey:

Tinkerbella
08-17-2009, 09:54 PM
I just had mine pulled about a month ago (awake and they weren't impacted). I was nervous as well but had heard from my sisters (who were also awake) that it wasn't so bad. They were right! The worste part for me was just hearing the sound of the tooth popping out of the socket:scared:

I was one of those unfortunate souls who ended up developing a dry socket, despite my best efforts :shake: Definitely stick to the directions they give you afterwards and you should be fine.

I'm not going to lie to you though, that dry socket hurt so very much. However, I went back and he packed it with a special dressing and loaded me up with plenty of Vicodin to help me through the intense pain. I only had to call in sick to work once because the Vicodin initially made me very sick.

Good luck and you'll be fine, I promise! :thumbsup:

DisneyOtaku
08-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I had all four pulled in one shot. My doctor gave me both an IV *and* gas to knock me out. First I'm on the table, worried about the procedure, next thing I know the nurse is waking me up to help put me in a wheel chair.

Just follow the advice of the doctor in making sure you don't get dry socket (I think that's what it is called) or any other infections.

rjmdds
08-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, as you can tell from my name, I am a dentist. I would say that each case is very different and you can't always go by other people's experience. There is a big difference even between upper wisdom teeth vs. lower wisdom teeth. So it all depends. Is it an Oral Surgeaon doing it or your general dentist? This can aeffect things as well. Do you have any underlying health problems? I pull wisdom teeth all of the time and RARELY have any problems. Expect discomfort afterwards but it shouldn't be anything some good drugs can't handle. PM me if you have any questions.

azdisneymom
08-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Both my kids had their wisdom teeth pulled. DS Had 4 pulled at once and didn't have any swelling or bruising, minimal discomfort. DD had 2 at a time done with a bit of swelling and bruising because she didn't want to keep the ice on long enough. I had all 4 of mine taken out at once in my 30s. No swelling and just slight bruising. With 2 babies I can tell you I was up and running the next day. Follow your doctor's orders and you will be just fine.

All of us had an oral surgeon take our wisdom teeth out. Not because we didn't trust a dentist but because we each had our own individual quirks to deal with, like impactions or additional extractions.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-21-2009, 09:31 PM
When I had my first one pulled (I had them done 1 at a time), I wasn't knocked out and could hear the cracking and feel the pressure. YUCK! I had it done and then went right back to work the same day. You can be sure I was knocked out the next time. Well that time I had a reaction to what they used to knock me out! But other than the reaction I really didn't experience any major problems.