PDA

View Full Version : I was robbed at Kennywood!

mudpuppysmom
08-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I didn't know where to put this, so it's landing here....I thought about the Theme Park section though......so if it needs moved, please do so whoever is in charge!

So we go to Kennywood Park today -- it's in Pittsburgh, PA. We had tickets left from the school picnic that we finally used today!

First, traffic there was horrific, but we got there and the day was beautiful! We are having a good day, no whining, no fits, everyone is good.....I took two bottles of water with me in the diaper bag, but we drank them which led me to buying a bottle of water.....

Here it is.....I was robbed, point blank without even a thank you......$3.09 for a bottle of water! Yes, that was THREE DOLLARS and nine cents!

I thought water at Disney was a bit overpriced at $2.50, but now I've really been "held up" for water! They boy at the stand didn't even say "STICK EM UP MA'AM" or "THANK YOU".....just took my money as I was just stunned.......

HollyB
08-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Quite a contrast to the amusement park we were at a couple of weeks ago: Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana. There, they give you free drinks from the "Pepsi Oasis" all day long. It is much appreciated!

kakn7294
08-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Gosh, you had me really scared for a minute! I'm glad it wasn't a real robbery and it's only Kennywood's outrageous food prices. We're going there next Saturday with the Beaver Area Marching Band. Gotta pay full price for the admission tickets since it's a weekend.

Itchy
08-14-2009, 09:56 AM
We are getting ready to leave in a few hours ( less that 24 ) for WDW and I informed my grand daughter that I had ponchos for the entire family. She said she had her own that she got when at 6 flags in St louis. She proudly said she paid $16.00 for it.

I kind of informed her that she got taken but she really did not want to hear that.

I was at a local Minor League ball park about a month ago and saw that they wanted $6 for a bottle of water. Needless to say I found a water fountain.

DisneyOtaku
08-14-2009, 10:23 AM
I was scared for a moment!

But it really is horrible what people are charging these days for things like that. There's a water park about an hour from where I live that I've been to once and refuse to go back--not only because the rides actually scare me due to safety reasons), but also because I did the math and it would have been CHEAPER to go to either Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach if I lived near them, mostly due to the food! :mad: Now I know to save my money for a Disney trip instead.

SBETigg
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Were you really surprised? I'm not surprised by these things anymore. They're in a situation where they can charge that for water and people pay. Now if you had said $5, I might have been a little surprised, but still not that taken aback. Have you been to the movies lately?

Disneymom4ever
08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
We went to Kennywood for the first time this summer, what a fun park! But yes, park food and even water is so expensive! But then again, here we have Carowinds, and I think the prices are even higher, believe it or not! Outrageous, we go to the car for lunch- I just can't see paying $8.00 for a slice of pizza! Glad you had a fun day, we really enjoyed it!

Donald A
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Gosh, you had me really scared for a minute! I'm glad it wasn't a real robbery and it's only Kennywood's outrageous food prices. We're going there next Saturday with the Beaver Area Marching Band. Gotta pay full price for the admission tickets since it's a weekend.

I live and work in that area. I actually think you were robbed like for real. Haven't been to Kennywood since moving here and don't really have much of a desire to go.

ILoveLegos
08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Does Kennywood Park still have the Jack Rabbit? Mom my lost her hat on the Jack Rabbit the same day another rider lost their life (somehow thrown off) I guess ride restraints were not what they are today, sadly.
I've never been to Kennywood but this ride is on our todo list, when we visit the area my mom called home during her formative & preteen years soon.

Also, I have another question relating to your "robbery" - back when my mom went to the Park as a child, there was a picnic area where you could "dine" on food you brought from home in the park. Is that still there or is it like Disney where "no outside food is encouraged". Just wondering for the nostalgic effect for my mom, mainly.

brownie
08-14-2009, 04:10 PM
It's not as bad as buying popcorn and pop at the movies!

kakn7294
08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I live and work in that area. I actually think you were robbed like for real. Haven't been to Kennywood since moving here and don't really have much of a desire to go.Hi Donald! I didn't realize you were in the West Mifflin area. We go to Kennywood once a year with the kids but I don't really like it much. I like the nostalgia of the park but I only ride about 6 - 7 things. It's definately not Disney World!
Does Kennywood Park still have the Jack Rabbit? Mom my lost her hat on the Jack Rabbit the same day another rider lost their life (somehow thrown off) I guess ride restraints were not what they are today, sadly.
I've never been to Kennywood but this ride is on our todo list, when we visit the area my mom called home during her formative & preteen years soon.

Also, I have another question relating to your "robbery" - back when my mom went to the Park as a child, there was a picnic area where you could "dine" on food you brought from home in the park. Is that still there or is it like Disney where "no outside food is encouraged". Just wondering for the nostalgic effect for my mom, mainly.Kennywood still does have the Jackrabbit. It still scares me too. They allow children to ride at 36 inches tall but the restraint is only a lap belt and you literally spend much of the ride not sitting on your seat due to ride forces. My kids hate to ride with me because I always have such a death grip on them.

They do still have picnic shelters and often host school and work picnics and ethnic days. You can bring your own food in but if you want to use a shelter, I believe that you have to rent in advance at a fairly hefty price. Unless you are going with a bunch of other people or aren't bringing much in, you are better off leaving it in your car.

ILoveLegos
08-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks Kathy, I will tell my mom that the things she remembers most about Kennywood Park are still there.

mudpuppysmom
08-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Yes, I've been to the movies.....last weekend and I was "robbed" there too.....$7.75 for popcorn that my cousin and I shared! We smuggled in our own water though!

After telling a bunch of people about that $3 bottle of water I am now in the know that that is not that bad.....WOW, did I just say $3 for a BOTTLE OF WATER :jaw::eyes: is not that bad?!?!?!?

pink
08-16-2009, 01:04 PM
DBF and I went to a football game on Friday night. At the concession stand they didn't have any prices up. He paid $4.50 for a bottle of Sprite and $10.50 for a bag of chips and a little thing of salsa. :confused:

crazeedizneefinatic
08-17-2009, 01:14 AM
I do agree that prices are totally out of whack...I also live in Pittsburgh and refuse to pay the ridiculous price just to get in...we go once for school picnic since the tickets are cheaper but that's it...we prefer to do the fright nights celebration in the fall...tickets are significantly cheaper and the rides are also open....it's a shame what they charge....

kakn7294
08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I do agree that prices are totally out of whack...I also live in Pittsburgh and refuse to pay the ridiculous price just to get in...we go once for school picnic since the tickets are cheaper but that's it...we prefer to do the fright nights celebration in the fall...tickets are significantly cheaper and the rides are also open....it's a shame what they charge....We wouldn't even be going but DD14 is marching with her HS marching band. I drove all the way to WDW to see her march in MK in March - and paid those prices. I sure won't let Kennywood prices keep me away!

kakn7294
08-21-2009, 11:10 PM
I feel a little better about going to Kennywood tomorrow. I was able to save $20 by purchasing my tickets online and printing them at home. Any little savings helps!

Magic Smiles
08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Go to Vegas and buy a bottle of water at one of the shows. You will think that $3.09 is cheap! A bottle of water was (I think) $4.00 for a small and I mean small and $6.00 or $8.00 for a larger, but not big by any means.