PDA

View Full Version : Use Park Maps?

SandmanGStefani24
08-13-2009, 07:22 PM
The post about park maps causing accidents made me think a little bit. I know WDW pretty well, and can visualize most of the park, so i don't use maps. Each trip, I kinda wander a bit looking for Pirates, and pass the Tikis that shoot water at least 2 or 3 times, walk by El Pirata y el Perico the same few times before I find the entrance. :D Gotta say that's part of the fun. (...it's around here SOMEwhere...) So, who uses maps and who likes to wander?

Rekenna
08-13-2009, 07:36 PM
I voted using the maps-b/c DHS is soooo confusing to me! MK I am okay on, Animal Kingdom can sometimes be iffy, EPCOT we are cool with. But DHS-geesh!:mickey:

TheVBs
08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
For most of the parks, DH is my map. :mickey: The exception would be DHS. We still check the map there.

Pally
08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I voted using the maps-b/c DHS is soooo confusing to me! MK I am okay on, Animal Kingdom can sometimes be iffy, EPCOT we are cool with. But DHS-geesh!:mickey:

We were late for an ADR for Sci-Fi one year. We just could not get orientated. Now we can find it but like you say DHS geesh!!:confused::mickey:

Eric87
08-13-2009, 08:12 PM
I voted for using the maps, however, we tend to roam and we are pretty familiar with the parks. You never know what is knew since last visit if you don't grab a map .

BMan62
08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
I said "Nah" but we always pick them up, just in case.

We normally take our time in the parks, so there is no rush to find anything, except meals!! :)

Tinkerbella16
08-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I voted nah because we only use them to bring them home for photo albums. I know the parks, resorts, everything in wdw like the back of my hand so we never need them.

We roam the parks and take our time with everythingl. I almost never take a short-cut to get to a certain attraction unless theres a parade or something.

KatrinaJ91
08-13-2009, 09:05 PM
We used to use them, but it has been forever since we have needed them. We go so often and I research so much, that I know the parks like the back of my hand! I would say to use them if you are not familiar, but that's not our case. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-13-2009, 09:21 PM
We don't use the maps anymore. It is actually really nice to be able to walk around MK & Epcot without even really thinking about it anymore.

DHS, like all of the previous posters is much harder to keep sorted out in my head. DH seems to have a handle on it though, and get us around without getting lost.

We're not big AK people, but again, we manage without the map.

It is almost a rite of passage, being able to get around Disney better than my town at home sometimes :mickey:

AXOAlum
08-13-2009, 09:25 PM
I voted no also, but we are also like others in that we know the Disney parks better than our own hometown! I got the parks down to a science... but, I have the worst sense of direction when it comes to which park is where (like when we drive from the resort to one of the parks). If it weren't for the signs, we'd be lost (and sometimes we are even with the signs)!

seanyred
08-13-2009, 09:58 PM
MK I pretty confident I could do blindfolded. As well for EPCOT. DHS I usually will use a map to get oriented at first and then forget about it. AK I can go either way. But come to think if I pick up a map on every visit no matter what. The one thing I like the maps for is finding walkways that might not be commonly used.

momof3+twins
08-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I must be a sick person since I could make the maps. I thought everyone else could too! I now realize my sickness!

mickeys_princess_mom
08-13-2009, 10:32 PM
We don't use the maps anymore. It is actually really nice to be able to walk around MK & Epcot without even really thinking about it anymore.

DHS, like all of the previous posters is much harder to keep sorted out in my head. DH seems to have a handle on it though, and get us around without getting lost.

It is almost a rite of passage, being able to get around Disney better than my town at home sometimes :mickey:
As I read these I was smiling to myself, cause I was thinking how cool it is that we don't really need them any more. And in our case, it's my DD who's the navigator, cause she always knows...:mickey:
We still take them home, though, just because.

elmjimmlm
08-13-2009, 10:58 PM
We always pick one up to take home but we don't use it...I take that back, my DS likes to look at it and carry it around in his pocket...

JPL
08-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I haven't used a map in years. I think you could blindfold me in the Magic Kingdom and I could find my place to any attraction and the same is ture for all the parks I might have a little trouble in AK only because of all the little side paths. The only thing I do grab is a times guide for shows to help me to decide if I can catch as show when I am in the area or close by.

mudpuppysmom
08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I voted no too, but we pick them up also......DS#1 can navigate around pretty good, but he does refer to the map occasionally! He can even tell DH how to get from point A to point B and DH just looks at him:eyes: with amazement! The kid is 7 and knows his way around better than a grown man! I can only hope that DS#2 grows up the same way.....knowing his way around Disney that is!

RAIDER
08-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Ive been many times but i still use the maps as i tend to jump from land to another :thumbsup:

BPATSMouse
08-14-2009, 07:11 AM
I voted for using the maps, however, we tend to roam and we are pretty familiar with the parks. You never know what is knew since last visit if you don't grab a map .

:ditto:

DisneyOtaku
08-14-2009, 09:19 AM
I like to think I know the Disney parks like the back of my hand, and I never have a problem knowing how to get to one attraction to the next. I still pick up maps though, esp. if I know there's a new attraction that I need to check out. I just never use them in the parks.

MistressGracey
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I voted "no" even though I admit that I still need to consult a map sometimes at DHS. That layout just won't stick in my noodle, for some reason! But Magic Kingom (and Epcot to a lesser extent) are ingrained in my brain!:thumbsup:

d_m_n_n
08-14-2009, 09:36 AM

AMEN!!! On DS's first trip, his mama was *detemined* that he meet Buzz and Woody!!! We looked and looked and even asked directions when after 1 hour we finally found them!! Needless to say, DH was not thrilled (until he saw the expression on his 3yo's face).

DHS is the one park where every member in our party has their own map!!! :cool: AK we have one just because we don't visit the park every visit.

TheDuckRocks
08-14-2009, 10:02 AM
We rarely have to use the maps anymore but I keep one handy, except at DHS always, always before the day is over I have to look at the map.:mad: And the worse part there is the number of places with stairs that are not handicap friendly.

Giggy
08-14-2009, 10:05 AM
We tend to use the maps as we aren't regulars. I think we get to grips with it more as the trip goes on but when we go it usually has been quite a while since we last went so we need reminding.

For Magic Kingdom (and to a lesser extent Epcot) I have an idea of the basic layout of the parks and the general direction to travel in to reach a certain land. Also I can find where I'm going in small sections of the park such as Mickey's Toontown Fair. If asked to get from an attraction at one side of the park to another at the other side though, for example, Space Mountain to Thunder Mountain. I couldn't tell you the quickest route. I know enough about the layout to know the general direction to head from Tomorrowland to Frontierland and after I got there I would eventually figure out where in Frontierland to go. However a person who knows it better would get there much quicker. In the end I may just cheat by going to Toontown and taking the train to Frontierland. :secret:

MGM and Animal Kingdom I doubt I could find my way around at all without a map. Maybe my family will know it better than me, my sense of direction is just awful to begin with though. :blush:

Imagineer1981
08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Maps to us are just a souvenier. We know the parks so well we don't even have to look

DisneyDoug2
08-14-2009, 11:57 AM
You need to add a vote in for depending on the park. I never use a map for the Magic & Animal Kingdom, but I do use it for Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

wdwfansince75
08-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I always grab a map and times guide....Stick them in my back pocket....Usually return home with several from each park....
On most days, I have a preliminary plan of what rides, in which order....but then, I use the maps or guides to identify "Targets of opportunity"....Or I use them, and pass them on, for visitors who appear confused, or are obviously lost....Seems it happens several times each trip....
Or I use them to remind family members where we are, and where we plan to go next.....
Or I use them to remind myself that "We haven't done that for the last several trips.....wonder if it has changed."
Although I know the parks very well.....I am getting older...There is that occasional "Senior Moment"...

bruin1344
08-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Rarely ever need them, i am pretty familar with most of the parks, they are fun to look at before i go to wdw

GrumpyFan
08-14-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't use them. I've been enough times that I know where everything is, and how to get there.

indytraveler
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't use the maps while I'm there. I do pick up several each trip with show times etc. I bring those back home and use them to help neighbors navigate the parks when they go. We have a way we do the parks each trip so we know where everything is.

Gooftroop5
08-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I picked still use the maps because like the majority need them for DHS. EPCOT & MK kids get them but only time I look is when they are pointing to something on the map. AK I used to confirm approximately where Pizzafari was. However DH knew where it was without the map.

Ian
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I know the parks like the back of my hand by now ... better than my own hometown!

I never use maps anymore.

clausjo
08-14-2009, 03:28 PM
We always grab a map on the way in even though we know our way around. The kids like to use them to check off everything we've done. The goal is to get as many things done in one day!

tink2006
08-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I am TOTALLY directionally challenged. I will ALWAYS turn the wrong way. My son jokes with me ...I can be sitting on the couch at home and he will say "Hey Mom, quick, which way are you facing" :confused:
Therefore...I will always pick up a map. We don't use it but I feel better having one. I guess it is my security blanket...

HallandNash
08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm sure I could get around MK without a map no problem. Same story to a lesser extent with Epcot, but Studios and AK I definitely would need one.

mainemajor
08-14-2009, 04:51 PM
We usually grab a map, but rarely do we use it. It is one of those things that I must have. I don't know why.

Mickey91
08-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Even though we know where everything is, we love our maps. They help us run down the list of things left to do

IloveDisney71
08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
I've visited many times but I still grab a map for AK & DHS just in case I need to double check something. DHS is the most confusing for me. I can find my way around MK and Epcot without a map.

Becky2005
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm positive we will! Our first trip as a family was in 2005 & our next one will be 2011.

Let's just say on our first trip when we entered one park, might have been DHS, I don't remember. It was the first park we went to, we didn't grab one & we were wandering around aimlessly plus had no clue for times for things. No matter that I researched for 3 years, I was completely dazed & confused. We knew pretty much how to get to the main first thing we wanted but after that...it was all downhill.

At least, we didn't make that mistake again & always got a map after that AND a times guide.

CU Tiger
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
We have been to DW so much that we have the parks memorized. The only time we might look at one is if there is a new ride or show.:mickey:

kbean
08-19-2009, 09:26 AM
I only need a map when I'm with someone who smokes and needs their nic fix to find the smoking areas. Other than that, it's something to read in lines.