PDA

View Full Version : Kona for dinner?

BiloxiMom
08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Never tried it, but we have a ressie there for our next trip. What are your experiences??

StitchFan#1
08-13-2009, 05:48 PM
:lei:it was great!!!! I love the chicken and or steak noodel bowl (if thats what its called) and I highly reccomend the Kona Cone its an ice cream sundae and its got chocloate micky thingy that gose on cupecake but you can eat it! The waiters were very impressed that I ate with chopsticks and still no hope for my mom yo use them lol. But Kona is a must for us every trip! ALSO THE Teryaki fried staek is delish

SBETigg
08-13-2009, 07:23 PM
My experience? Not good. I don't plan on returning. The appetizers were acceptable, the chicken wings outstanding. Everything else? Awful. Congealed rice,over-cooked fish, bland noodles, char-grilled filet. Very poor quality food and awful service. I can only assume it was a really off night because everyone always raves about Kona for dinner.

elmjimmlm
08-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I am not in the majority that loves Kona...Our experience was ok but not the best...

Mousemates
08-13-2009, 11:25 PM
We have enjoyed all our meals there, but tend to use it as a place to grab a little lunch on days we're doing the MK. I can't speak for a whole lot of the menu beyond the sticky wings since that is my standard order there.

mainemajor
08-16-2009, 08:01 PM
We loved it there on our last trip. The duck dumplings and sticky wings were great. I loved my steak and DW really enjoyed her Mahi Mahi (sp?). We all enjoyed the deserts quite a bit, too.

sisterdisco
08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Awesome< Awesome< Awesome!!!

Fangorn
08-17-2009, 12:15 PM
It's one of our favorite places for dinner. Our experience has been quite positive. Steaks and pork were wonderful. We have had one 'less than stellar' performance by a server, but only one.

Steve

ILoveLegos
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Kona was pretty good, not anywhere near the "home cooking polynesian comfort food" that my elder family members serve in micronesia, but it is somewhat of a uncomplicated "Disney-ized reminder of it".

Mind-ya, I'm not a high-browed foodie, just an insignificant decendant of the pacific isles who knows my great-grandma's cooking when I taste it, Kona does not even come close to that, but I never expected it to either and most main-landers would probably not appreciate real polynesian food anyway (it's an aquired taste):blush:.

Hey I'd have my now deceased great-grandmommy's (that's what we called her) two-finger poi (yummy) & Huli-Huli pork everyday, if I could!

Fangorn, for what it is worth try things at Kona with an open mind, try not to "sweat" the "laid back" feel of the dining experience (wait staff included), look at the different taste combos and textures of your dinning experience as unusual (but not a mind boggling-ly horrible experience that you never want to subject yourself to again - I have a cousin who teases mainlanders who act like this, - "remember it's just food that people have been eating without incident for thousands of years," she says, LOL).

IMHO, Polynesian-style food should never be enjoyed wiki-wiki (hurried) so please just hang loose and enjoy! :thumbsup:

wdwfan
08-17-2009, 02:40 PM
It's one of our must do's for every trip. We've always had a great experience. It can be cold, so bring a jacket.

Marceline
08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I love the duck pot sticker app. with a passion. :thumbsup:

I think Kona has some of the best desserts on property....4 words....Banana, Chocolate, Creme', Brulee....:cloud9: *swooon*

:mickey::D

PopeCharming
08-17-2009, 03:49 PM
My family and I tried Kona each of our last two visits, and both times, it ended up being our overall favorite meal of the vacation.

If you can go, go! And make your ADRs quickly- this one tends to fill up fast for prime meal hours, perhaps because of all the good press it receives at intercot!

ILoveLegos
08-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Fangorn ... :thumbsup:

I'm so sorry, I wasn't intending to single your comment out, I meant to put the topic starter's name in, but somehow pick you instead, oops. :confused: :( Nice to hear you like Kona Cafe too! :blush: :mickey:

Anyway, I just was trying to say, Kona is worth a try for those who haven't been there yet.

Thanks for understanding :cool: :mickey:

poohbearkris
08-18-2009, 10:51 AM
We loved it - went last October for the first time. Everything we had was great. My sister's family just went there and it was their favorite restaurant of all. It is not as formal and kind of open to the main floor, but it was delicious. I think you will love it.

prttynpnk
08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
It's a regular for us as a last day breakfast, but we also love it for dinner. It's got a great variety on the menu and never disapoints.