PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a 2008 VW Passat

tink2006
08-13-2009, 04:53 PM
We are thinking of getting a 2008 Volkswagen Passat sedan turbo. It seems to be an incredible car. Anybody have one? Just curious to see if there is good/bad feedback. Everything on the internet seems positive.

Thanks!

diz_girl
08-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't have a Passat, but a 2005 Jetta. However, a friend owns a 2006 Passat. It's not the same year, but nothing's really changed in those two years. He says that it's the best car that he's ever owned. I'd have to say the same about my Jetta. I love my car. You seem to get a lot of car for your money with VWs and they have an interior that is more refined than comparably priced cars. So you get a :thumbsup: from me.

A Big Kid
08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Important consideration:

Some VWs are made in Germany and some are made in Mexico.

Some jetta and all bugs were made in mexico, and they had terrible QC problems...especially electrical problems. (The next time you are out at night, look to see how many VWs have lights that dont work.)

I have a 2008 Rabbit that was made in Germany.

Before you buy any VW, make sure you check the county of origin.

Ian
08-24-2009, 07:22 PM
I've never owned a VW before, but I have a couple friends who have.

One hated his Passat. It was actually so bad he ended up Lemon Lawing it and sending it back.

Another friend loved his and said it was the best car he ever owned.

My personal opinion is that they seem pretty overpriced for what they are. I'd look maybe at an Acura (better quality, similar price) instead.

DizneyRox
08-25-2009, 07:26 AM
VW's are EXPENSIVE for repairs, right up there with BMW, etc. German parts are pricey.

We're in the market for a car and found that comparable model VWs don't stack up against others.

FYI - Turbo also usually requires high octane gas, usually 93. Unless you're talking about a diesel.

Scar
08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Make sure it doesn't have DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) transmission. VW just recalled their cars with this.

SandmanGStefani24
08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
vw's tend to be pretty reliable. however the comments earlier about vehicles started in one country and finished in another having qc problems does have some merit. I worked in the auto business a while back for about 4 years and noticed that trend. plus, I currently own a Chrysler Crossfire. My car started its life as an SLK Benz, and was finished in America with Chrysler badging. I love it, and it is excellent, but there is a weird quirk with it. The ECM occaisionally acts up when idling and will cause the car to stall and not refire for several hours. Fortunately I don't have to sit idling hardly, so it's not an issue but if I did I would be up a creek!

My advice would be to have a "lemon buster" check the vehicle out before you buy if you buy used. If the dealer won't allow it, move on. Most reputable dealers, however, will be ok with it.