PDA

View Full Version : Tambu Lounge Drinks

MistressGracey
08-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Hello all!

We are leaving the MK @ closing (8PM) on out upcoming trip and heading on the resort monorail over to Poly for 9:30 dinner ressies @ Ohana. Since we'll have some time to kill, presumably, I thought we would grab a seat and a drink @ the Tambu Lounge. Could anyone recommend a stand-out cocktail from here? Also, our teenage sons will be with us and would probably like to enjoy a fancy beverage while they wait as well, so could anyone tell me if the Tambu will do Shirley Temples (not on the menu) or virgin daiquiris or something "fun" for them?

Thanks muchly, cheers!:marg:

SBETigg
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I recommend the Lapu Lapu for adults, and the virgin Lapu Lapu for the kids. The adult version is rum, pineapple, and other fruit juices while the kids version is just the juices, with ice and a cherry, all served in a hollowed out pineapple-- so much fun! You can't get more in the mood than drinking out of a pineapple :)

Aggie97
08-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I recommend the Lapu Lapu for adults, and the virgin Lapu Lapu for the kids. The adult version is rum, pineapple, and other fruit juices while the kids version is just the juices, with ice and a cherry, all served in a hollowed out pineapple-- so much fun! You can't get more in the mood than drinking out of a pineapple :)

And I second this recommendation!! :thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
08-12-2009, 06:23 PM
The pina coladas are real good there also. Ask for a 151 floater on top!!:marg::mickey:

DVC2004
08-12-2009, 06:48 PM
My husband likes the Lapu Lapu previously mentioned- served from a pineapple. He also likes the Backscratcher, but Lapu Lapu is always his number one choice. I love the Pina Coladas- one of the best I've ever had anywhere!

cather74
08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
The Lapu Lapus are awesome but expensive. They are really just Mai Tai's in a pineapple. (We asked.) But it is fun to drink from a pineapple.:number1:There is also some glowing blue drink they make that's good. Don't remember the name. It comes with a flashing ice cube that you keep. I agree also that the Pina Coladas are outstanding!

SBETigg
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
The Lapu Lapus are awesome but expensive. They are really just Mai Tai's in a pineapple. (We asked.) But it is fun to drink from a pineapple.:number1:There is also some glowing blue drink they make that's good. Don't remember the name. It comes with a flashing ice cube that you keep. I agree also that the Pina Coladas are outstanding!

They're actually not just mai tais in a pineapple, though similar. The Lapu Lapu has a combination of Myers rum and Bacardi 151, making it a little more potent. When you have a mai tai at the Poly and have a Lapu Lapu, they don't taste much alike. The mai tai has more pineapple juice and is a little sweeter.

My husband also likes the Backscratcher. The pina coladas taste better from the beach bar, for some reason (because of the beach atmosphere, no doubt).

disneyboundagain
08-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Just BE CAREFUL with the Lapu Lapus. DW likes them a lot. Granted she drinks very infrequently, but one year she liked them enough to have three. All I can say is, boy, that made for a VERY interesting evening. Worst I've seen her in the 18 years I've known her!

Dsnygirl
08-13-2009, 01:41 AM
I agree with the Lapu Lapu's...

... and I have a question?? Can we take our drinks out of the lounge and down to the beach, or do we have to stay in the building?

My DH and I were hoping we could watch Hallowishes on the beach at the Poly, Lapu Lapu's in hand.... :cloud9:

BugeyedMuggy
08-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Baskscratcher, I get one every time we go. You also get a really cool backscratcher (I have about 50 of them)

epceddie
08-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Good luck, especially on a weekend night. There are only about 12 stools at the bar and the only time we've been able to get one is a 3 p.m. on a weekday.

MistressGracey
08-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks all for the recommendations! The kids like the idea of the virgin Lapu Lapu, as does hubby! I think I will have the Backscratcher just for variety's sake. :D

As far as the seating goes, aren't all the tables and chairs directly outside of Ohana part of the Tambu Lounge as well? I ask because once we were waiting to be seated at Ohana and we sat there and a waitress came over to get our drink order. We declined to order, because we expected to be seated for dinner any second, but I assumed we could get served sitting there. Am I mistaken?

Aggie97
08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
As far as the seating goes, aren't all the tables and chairs directly outside of Ohana part of the Tambu Lounge as well? I ask because once we were waiting to be seated at Ohana and we sat there and a waitress came over to get our drink order. We declined to order, because we expected to be seated for dinner any second, but I assumed we could get served sitting there. Am I mistaken?

That's where we usually sit to order drinks (either while waiting for our table at 'Ohana or just to enjoy separately). :papple: I believe you are correct that it is considered part of the Tambu Lounge. :mickey:

Dsnygirl
08-13-2009, 06:20 PM
... and I have a question?? Can we take our drinks out of the lounge and down to the beach, or do we have to stay in the building?

My DH and I were hoping we could watch Hallowishes on the beach at the Poly, Lapu Lapu's in hand.... :cloud9:
Before this gets too far lost in the thread, just bringing it back forward... :blush: ... anyone??

MistressGracey
08-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Ooooh, one more question regarding the Lounge. I was on another site that recommended a seasonal favorite from here: the Pumpkin Spice Martini! This would be right up DH's alley! Wonder if they'll be serving it late September? Definitely seems like a Fall thing...

SBETigg
08-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Before this gets too far lost in the thread, just bringing it back forward... :blush: ... anyone??

I'm not sure, but you can get beverages from Captain Cook's to bring out to the beach, like beer or wine. I'm not sure they would mind you leaving with a Lapu Lapu, which comes in a disposable pineapple, but I doubt they would want you taking their glasses away. Of course, you could ask and see if they can give you takeout glasses. And there is a bar on the beach, open during daytime hours.