PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on lunch as a sit-down meal (DDP)?

Carolanne
08-11-2009, 11:03 AM
DH & I are going to be in WDW in November, and our 90-day mark is quickly approaching (Sunday...SQUEE!). I'm trying to get together our restaurants (DH is a picky eater) & had an (admittedly not new) idea: me, I could eat breakfast as a meal any time of the day, but DH is not a breakfast person--he's good with a bagel & tea until lunch (doesn't like eggs, not into waffles & pancakes). CS breakfasts are a waste for him. This time around, I was thinking of using our DDP TS credits for lunches and using the CS credits for (late) dinners. We do have the MVMCP one night while we're there, so I would like to do a sit-down dinner for that, but otherwise, I'm thinking about using the TS credits for later lunches.

I'm sure you're out there--has anyone else done this & how did it work for you? Thanks :mickey:!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-11-2009, 12:35 PM
We have done TS meals at both lunch and/or dinner and are always surprised at how filling the CS meals are.

One advantage to this is that you can eat your big meal when the parks are busier, and then enjoy them in the evenings when it is a bit cooler, and not quite as crowded.

But, since dinner is usually more expensive than lunch, you won't get the same value from the DDP, if that matter to you.

Also, there are far better CS choices at the resorts (at least in my experience), so you might want to think about not always eating in the park.

If you love breakfast, and DH doesn't...you could book a breakfast buffet at the last breakfast time, and you'll be welcome to stay after they put out the lunch offerings, so both you and DH can have something you enjoy.

PittFan
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
We don't feel that using a TS for lunch is worth it for us. We did that in the past and were very disappointed with the menu options available for lunch compared to those available for dinner. We could usually find a CS restaurant with almost as many quality options as TS restaurants have on the lunch menus. IMO, Cosmic Rays and San Angel Cantina are great CS options, as well as Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-11-2009, 01:46 PM
We also feel that TS is a better value when used for dinner. Also, we like to do as many attractions as possible early in the day before it gets too busy and find that TS lunch takes too much time....

SBETigg
08-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I feel that if you're looking to get the most value out of DDP, then go for dinner over lunch with the TS credits. Value-wise, a CS lunch then a TS dinner makes the most sense.

It doesn't make sense for us touring-wise to eat the TS meal early, either, actually. If I eat a bigger meal early in the day (which digestively makes more sense in regular life), then I'm full and just want a nap instead of more park time. And when parks close early, we would be missing out on good park time to break for a meal in midday then be too full or tired to enjoy parks for a few hours. We usually have a snack breakfast, a cs lunch, and a ts late meal.

Carolanne
08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks so much guys. I can’t believe I never took value into consideration—that’s the one thing I didn’t think about :blush:! Everything everyone has said makes sense.

I’m thinking maybe my plan of action should be like SBETigg’s: a snack breakfast, a CS lunch, and a late TS dinner.

DH just isn’t into breakfast foods. He’s the type who will reheat last night’s dinner leftovers at 8 AM the next morning and call it breakfast, lol. I guess I figured doing a TS lunch would cater to this. Me, I likes my French toast, waffles, sausage, etc. I can do without them for this trip, though.

SBETigg
08-11-2009, 05:11 PM
The resorts have some good quick service breakfasts. You could get breakfast like Mickey waffles or eggs and bacon oop while your boyfriend gets snack-like food. It might be a good compromise. Sometimes I need a little more at breakfast, too. My husband can drink a diet coke and he's good to go.

elmjimmlm
08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
When we were there in Dec. most of our ADRs were at late lunch time because everything that we wanted to do was at dark or close to that...LLT was a great lunch for us and Le Cellier also...Yak and Yeti has the same menu all day with no change...

megustamex
08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
We've done this before. It works great in the hot weather or if you are a person who likes to go to the parks all day long. Lunch TS provides a really nice, well-needed break in a long day at the parks. Then you can really enjoy those magical evenings at Disney. I hadn't really noticed too much of a difference with the lunch offerings at Epcot, and at the buffets like Crystal Palace they still have most of the offerings except a large meat dish (like a roast or something). Of course, there are some restaurants like Boma that only serve breakfast or dinner.

Besides, sometimes at Disney there are so many things that are nice to do at night that TS really eats into your time - like Spectromagic, or seeing the entertainment around Epcot. I still see it as a value - maybe I'm not getting EVERY option at a restaurant that might be offered at night, but it's good enough for me.

Tinkerbella16
08-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I am the same exact way when it comes to eating breakfast...its my favorite meal and I love having a sit-down breakfast at least twice on each trip.

Our 90 day to make ADR's is also coming up! On saturday morning I'll be on the phone bright and early so looks like we'll be there the same time and we're both from south jersey!!

I don't think you should have a problem using TS for lunch and dinners only. I would do more dinners though since they are more expensive meals and you'll get the better deal by doing that.

Where ya staying?

prttynpnk
08-13-2009, 01:31 PM
We've done TS lunches and dinners and still gotten value- maybe not as much but it has still been worth it for us and a nice change of atmosphere mid-day.

TheRustyScupper
08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks so much guys. I can’t believe I never took value into consideration

For DDP economic value:
. . . never use TS coupons for any breakfast
. . . never use TS coupons for any character meal
. . . never use TS coupons for any dinner show
. . . seldom use TS coupons for lunch

NJGIRL
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
About half of our lunches while on vacation in Disney are TS with picking up something quick for dinner. We can't eat two big meals per day so depending on where we are for the day dictates which meal will be larger.

Some of our favorite TS Lunches are:

The Liberty Tree Tavern
SciFi
Tutto
San Angels

Carolanne
08-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Where ya staying?

POFQ, and it looks like our trips overlap--we'll be there 11/15-11/20 :mickey:. It's DH's first time at POFQ. Are you hitting MVMCP while you're there?

Thanks again, guys. I think I'm going to go with a snackish-type breakfast, maybe break for lunch between 12 & 1, and then dinner around 6ish or so--dinner ADR availability will probably dictate when we eat lunch, though.

I might have to get to Kona Kafe for a TS lunch, though--I'm spying fish tacos on their lunch menu but not the dinner menu.

Tinkerbella16
08-14-2009, 03:28 PM
POFQ...My favorite resort!!!!! I loved it there when I went last year...it was so quiet, felt like no one was around at any time of the day.

We aren't doing MVMCP this year. I'm doing it different for once and doing Universal & IOA for a day...I haven't been there yet.

Have a great trip! I make ADR's tomorrow morning!! :mickey: