PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my nerve up!!!

elmjimmlm
08-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi, my name is Amy and I am a ride chicken...
I have wanted to ride Everest since we walked by the wall with the Yeti footprints when it was 1st being built and I have yet to do it...
Every year I say I will ride it and I get there, see the mountain, and chicken out...
We are leaving Friday and I really want to but I need some courage especially since my kids ride it and I don't...
Help me...:scared:

Imagineer1981
08-10-2009, 02:39 PM
hmm...have you ever rode any rollercoaster? Could you list something you have ridden for comparison?

faline
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I was the same way about Space Mountain! It probably took me 4 or 5 trips to get up the nerve to go on it!

There's no easy way to do it. You'll just have to get in line and stick it out!

Ed
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Amy, I've ridden probably a hundred different coasters, and I can truthfully say that EE is near the top of my list of smooth-running, non-jerky coasters. I don't care for the ones that snap your head back and forth or otherwise beat you up. The theming is great, including the queue area.

The "mountain" does look a little intimidating, but it really isn't. And the view from the top is excellent. :thumbsup:

You really owe it to yourself to at least try it once. I believe you'll enjoy it.

elmjimmlm
08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
hmm...have you ever rode any rollercoaster? Could you list something you have ridden for comparison?

I have been on SM, Test Track, Kali River and all the other "less threating" rides...

Tygger7
08-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I absolutely HATE roller coasters, but I must say I love EE. The drop isn't nearly as bad as it looks from the ground. Yes, it's tall, but the way it curves at the bottom, it feels like a smaller drop than Splash Mountain. I also hate heights, so I just look at the floor of the car while we're going up the hill. The dark, backwards part through the mountain is a helix, and while it goes downhill, it's not a true drop or anything.

As others have said, try it just once. I'll bet you'll fall in love with it...and if not, at least you know what it's like and you never have to do it again. :D

garymacd
08-10-2009, 03:14 PM
As a famous shoe commercial used to say, "Just Do It!"

Buddy08
08-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I find that Space Mountain is way more jerky than EE. Plus with it being in the dark it is scarier (IMO) and I have almost bitten my tongue several times. EE is a great thrill ride. :coaster:

vws_and_disney
08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
i agree with the just do it slogan also. if you can do SM you can totally do EE

BluewaterBrad
08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Just DO it!!:mickey:

KAJUNKING
08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
i would bet once you try it, it will become one of your favorites and you'll be sorry for all the times you skipped it

TheVBs
08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I felt exactly the same way. DH and I rode seperately because of the girls and I think the only reason I actually made it on the ride was because the single rider line was so quick! Get in the single rider line and you'll be on EE before you can back out.

cer
08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
It is an excellent ride! Be a "Glad I did it" and not a "Wish I had"....

That being said, I have never done TOT...but i have done all the other "thrill rides", well except for the intense version of mission space....

DO IT!!!! :mickey:

mousetrapper
08-10-2009, 06:39 PM
If you're like me, you'll love it! I hate most roller coasters, but I love most of WDW's coasters. I thought I'd hate ToT but it's one of my favorites. I was also a little intimidated by E:E but couldn't resist, and ... surprise ... this one is also one of my favorites! The backwards part is so thrilling. Nothing about it is scary at all - it's just one big thrill! :thumbsup:

EPCOTGAL1
08-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi Amy!

Well, I'm not a coaster girl either. BUT, at WDW, that's a different story. Just keep thinking and saying to yourself...."Walt Disney...Winnie the Pooh"....how bad can it be?? I said that OVER and OVER before I rode Aerosmith for the first time. (And once I rode that, I got peer-pressured into riding Hulk at Universal Stuios). But that is my limit of how far I'll stretch my fear. EE is very thrilling and fun...I don't think it is a...."get me off cuz I'm crying or gonna lose my breakfast, lunch and dinner" ride at all. :) I think you'll love it. I don't do drops and I agree with the poster who said Splash is even a bit scarier as far as a drop goes...probably because you're not in restraints.. You feel VERY secure in the seats. It will be hard to get over your anticipation while waiting in line but you'll be glad you did afterwards! Good luck! :thumbsup:

Jodi
08-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Just do it is right, you will love it !! I too was apprehensive the first time we rode it, but, now we (DH and 2DD's) ride it at least 3-4 times in a row !!

10 days to Pop

seanyred
08-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Its probably one of the best themed roller coasters I have ever been on. It is by far the smoothest as well. And if your afraid of that falling butterfly feeling its almost non-existent. If you can handle the herky-jerky of SM you can ride EE. Remember the mountain is much higher than the actual ride

epceddie
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
My wife is just like you, but she's found the courage to ride Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Expedition Everest.
She screamed on all three and said she'll never go on any of them again, but we'll see.
Give EE a shot. It's a blast!

jnfr2424
08-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Try it Amy
Like everyone is posting it's not as bad as you think. I also did single rider line that way the anticipation won't be as bad. Since you've gotten through SM and Test Track already. you can get through EE. I hope when I go back in November I can see the Yeti because I haven't had the pleasure yet!!!
Have a Great Vacation!

DisneyFr33k
08-11-2009, 07:25 AM
3 suggestions:

Watch the entire ride online. My DS was scared to ride it last October and we watched it together. It made it less scary for him as he knew what was coming.
Get a fast pass to ride it. It will make the nervous wait a lot less! We did this with our son and the line was so short, he didn't have time to chicken out.
Don't look at the mountain. Look down on the ground as you walk towards the ride and get in line fast! The mountain does look tall, but take it from me, the ride is as previous poster have said - smooth fun!

Good luck!! :fingers:

Jeniflower
08-11-2009, 07:46 AM
You can do it, just give it a try.
Accept the fact that you will get on and at some point scream like a girl but thats the fun part . Its really smooth and really safe and just keep thinking that. pretend you really are up in the Himilayas and you can only leave if you ride on the expedition. Set yourself a treat which you can only get if you ride the ride

Erin C.
08-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Ditto...if you can do SM you can definitely do EE!! It really is a smooth ride. :mickey:

disneykid@hrt
08-11-2009, 10:18 AM
EE's bark is way worse than it's bite! It's a well constructed modern-day coaster, and heck, its really fun. I guarantee you and your kiddies will be in chorus at the end: "Can we ride it again?!"

satchel01
08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Honestly, comparing Everest to the rides you've tried, Everest is way smoother and enjoyable. I've never been on Kali, but it's not a roller coaster and less of a comparison. SM and TT are kind of rough in spots whereas Everest just feels safe, smooth and awesome!! DOITDOITDOIT!! :D:D:D

johnO
08-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Just get tough and do it! Refuse to chicken out!!! It's not like you're walking the plank, it's a roller coaster, meant to be fun.

"Just do it!"

#1donaldfan
08-11-2009, 04:08 PM
...you guys are wasting your breath.....she'll talk and talk and talk and talk and talk about riding it "next" year....she is "the" chicken, when it comes to rides....she can just do what she normally does and hold our backpacks and snap a few photo's as we ride up to the top...

.....AMY......you are a chicken !!!!!!

....ok, so not to make anyone mad, she's my sister and I'm just kidding, sort of !!!! ha, ha !!:thedolls:

elmjimmlm
08-11-2009, 04:30 PM
she can just do what she normally does and hold our backpacks and snap a few photo's as we ride up to the top...

Not this year...You won't be there for me to hold your bags...I will hold ours on the ride and I will take a new picture with me included...or not...:blush:

tys_mommy
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Get fast passes and enjoy the scenery of the queue while you walk up in line - there really is a lot of themeing that went into the wait area.

#1donaldfan
08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Not this year...You won't be there for me to hold your bags...I will hold ours on the ride and I will take a new picture with me included...or not...:blush:

I know, it just wasn't the same this June, we looked down and you weren't there....we had no chickens on that trip......:party:

Boost
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I have not been on EE yet, but plan to do it when we get over to AK...

elmjimmlm
08-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I know, it just wasn't the same this June, we looked down and you weren't there....we had no chickens on that trip......:party:

:funny:Stop please...I am laughing so bad that it hurts...:fresh:

dizknee531
08-11-2009, 11:55 PM
I find that Space Mountain is way more jerky than EE. Plus with it being in the dark it is scarier (IMO) and I have almost bitten my tongue several times. EE is a great thrill ride. :coaster:
Definitely Not as jerky. The que area is great and not as intimidating as it looks. Before you can scream, it will be over. Jump in with both feet. You'll be glad you did!!:thumbsup:

mouseneer
08-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Yoy can do it !!! Just look at the people coming off of the ride.....smiling, laughing, giggling.....could it be that bad ??

bruin1344
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
you should ride it, if it turns out to be scary for you, it will only be for a few minutes

Mickey91
08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
DH and DS think it is awsome! I'm a chicken:secret:.

tmosier
08-12-2009, 02:04 PM
If you can do Space Mountain, you definitely can do EE. Close your eyes if you need to! :coaster:

WDWdreamer87
08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Honestly, EE is the best rollercoaster to ride, for first timers or just "chickens." Like everyone else said, it's extremely smooth, and very very fun. You'll love it!

And if you get nervous, just walk through the line and when you get to the coaster itself, think of all of us here at Intercot cheering you on! (or extremely jealous you are at WDW and we're all waiting for your response that you did it!)

Good luck! You can do it! :number1:

Engine1822
08-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I also hate roller coasters, but I finally realized that it is the drops I dont like. I was very intimidated by EE, last year I sucked it up and rode. It is now my favorite Disney ride. Give it a go!!

elmjimmlm
08-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Honestly, EE is the best rollercoaster to ride, for first timers or just "chickens." Like everyone else said, it's extremely smooth, and very very fun. You'll love it!

And if you get nervous, just walk through the line and when you get to the coaster itself, think of all of us here at Intercot cheering you on! (or extremely jealous you are at WDW and we're all waiting for your response that you did it!)

Good luck! You can do it! :number1:

Thanks, I will let you know when we get back and I hope the answer is yes...If not please don't be mad...:blush:

caryrae
08-13-2009, 09:25 AM
I have a problem with some rides too. I don't like ToT or RnR because of the drops on ToT and the fast take-off of RnR (but I have tried both). My favorite ride is Space Mountain and if you can do that you can easily do EE. I wasn't sure at first but after the first time we got off the ride and I loved it and we got right back in line to do it again. I am so glad I gave it a try because if I wouldn't have I would be missing out on a wonderful ride and I would have been the one sitting on the bench while the others we are with are having a great time on the ride.

Mousemates
08-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Be like the little train (which is what you will be riding) and say I think I can, I think I can....and then do it. Honestly, the ride while thrilling, isn't terrifying in the least...its really just a couple minutes of very smooth (and very fast) disney magic.

elmjimmlm
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragment...I will think of all the things that you said when I stand in front of that mountain and try my best to get on...:blush:

Splash_Lover
08-14-2009, 08:01 AM
first rule, don't sike yourself out. when in line think of something else, get distracted.

Its okay to close your eyes even if for the whole first ride to get a feel for it. you can even close your eyes while in line, look down, look back just not at what worries you.

once on, hum or sing your favorite disney tune, it will help

don't let outward appearances decieve you, the ride will not be as intimidating as the outside looks

coneygoil
08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I did that with Tower of Terror. I rode it when it first opened in '94, thought it was fun, and then the next year when we went I totally chickened out! It took ten years for me to get back on ToT!!! I was extrememly nervous, but once I got on it, I had so much fun. I've ridden it like two or three times every trip ever since. You just have to get over that wall of fear and once you're on top of it the jump is so much easier :)

Everest isn't all that scary. For most of the ride, you can see where you're going, so it's not all surprising.

#1donaldfan
08-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Well Amy, do you want to tell everyone, or should I tell them that you remain a chicken....oh, wait, did I tell on you ???

....ha, ha, ha.....sorry ....:thedolls:

Tigger'sGirl
08-24-2009, 11:21 PM
As others have said, try it just once. I'll bet you'll fall in love with it...and if not, at least you know what it's like and you never have to do it again. :D

That's me!!! Never, never again......

elmjimmlm
08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Well Amy, do you want to tell everyone, or should I tell them that you remain a chicken....oh, wait, did I tell on you ???

....ha, ha, ha.....sorry ....:thedolls:

I will have to say that I did chicken out...I just couldn't do it but there is always next year...:blush: