PDA

View Full Version : Redoing CoP

jaredkari
08-10-2009, 02:07 PM
My wife and I were discussing CoP on the way back from our trip to WDW last week. We both agree they need to update the final scene but also that they need a new scene in between the early 50's and today.

We thought they should add a scene of the 1970's just before personal computers began to come out. At this point there is an empty loading and unloading stage so we thought that they could acutally keep the 1950s scene and add a 1970s then make an updated final scene. I don't really see that the two stages are necessary for loading and unloading because as small of theater as it is you could quickly empty and seat new guests. Just idea, anyone else have any suggestions??:mickey:

Jll3Sonex
08-10-2009, 02:55 PM
(Panic sets in at the thought of CoP being redone. AAAAGGHGHHHH!)

Okay, I'm over the panic. :blush:

It's not a bad idea, but the date is just a trifle off. The late '70s weren't all that hot for interesting electronic stuff, except for (maybe) the VCR being in development. Computers in the late '70s were either mainframe or minicomputers, that'd have about as much processing power as your normal cell phone today - or they were the very early computers like the Altair 8080.

I'd go early '80s instead, with him talking about what something like computers could mean, and demonstrating on an Apple ][. And he could have some wild stories about vast networks of computers, and people talking to each other through the network...

:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
08-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I like the idea. I would not hold my breath though!:mickey:

KAJUNKING
08-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I like the idea. I would not hold my breath though!:mickey:

i agree, i like the idea but i don't know if it would ever happen

PirateLover
08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
That sounds great! I love this attraction but I agree the jump to the last scene is big, and the last scene itself is outdated. I think the 80s would be a good decade to stick in there. If only....

brigidfirst
08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
My family and I were there mid july. We took my daughter 8 on it and she loved it. she said it was good but they left out to holidays Easter and Thanksgiven. we thought this was so funny. she thought was about holidays and the years. she was very upset that walt forgot them. but it was okay because he gave us Mickey Mouse

kakn7294
08-10-2009, 04:37 PM
The problem with adding a scene is that something would have to be deleted. When this attraction orginally opened, there wasn't a huge jump in years like there is now. And with modern technology jumping ahead at the rate it has been, what they added at the last update is already outdated. I do love this attraction though...

lindique
08-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I think the best thing to do would be to put it back to the way it used to be (turn of the century to the 60's) - and not show the present at all. I find the historical part to be the most interesting anyway. Having a present-day scene makes it look outdated almost from opening day.

Jeri Lynn
08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I love the COP, but one change I think they should make is the dog...I figured out how old he was once but I can't remember right now...but it is the same dog through the entire show!! He's got to be real old!!!!

SFTrny
08-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I LOVE the CoP...mostly because of the nostalgia and vision around it. The ride has a great history and has already been updated at least once. What I'd like to see is for Disney to extend the queuing area so that you see the first scene while waiting for the ride to start. Then they could add another time segment to the actual ride! This would allow them to preserve some of the original content while keeping the ride fresh and progressive. They could also extend the exit line to include features there as well. Yes...it would require some building extensions, but that area is pretty bleak already.

PETE FROM NYC
08-12-2009, 02:33 PM
I have always enjoyed CoP, since I first saw it at the 1964 Worlds Fair here in NYC.
I agree.It needs updating, just don't lose what is already there.

Imagineer1981
08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I think the best thing to do would be to put it back to the way it used to be (turn of the century to the 60's) - and not show the present at all. I find the historical part to be the most interesting anyway. Having a present-day scene makes it look outdated almost from opening day.

Like the idea, but Walt wanted the ride to always continue and evolve. John Hench was in charge of updating it for years, and thats how I think it should keep going, as Walt would have wanted

Darin M
08-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I agree that the final scene is outdated and needs to be changed, but at the same time, I think I would miss seeing that scene live and in person. It's like Food Rocks. I loved it. Now it's gone. Bwahhhhh!!!

ransam
08-13-2009, 02:27 AM
while it wouldn't kill me, i hope they don't redo it.
i like classic disney, and this is a classic disney ride.

Mousemates
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
while I too am a consistent rider of COP...its a great place to kick back and get off your feet for a while...I could go for an update to the last scene...something to breathe a little bit of new life into what has become (more and more) an afterthought used to occupy people during peak crowds.

Buttercup
08-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I love the COP, but one change I think they should make is the dog...I figured out how old he was once but I can't remember right now...but it is the same dog through the entire show!! He's got to be real old!!!!
Originally, the dog had different names in every scene - so I guess it used to be 'different' dogs. :D Now it's Rover through the whole show -- I guess he is really old! But then again, so is the family!!!
The whole show spans from the turn of the century to 1994... poor doggie probably hasn't been taken out much in the last hundred years or so... :D

DigitalDaredevil
08-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Personally I love the CoP and I feel that we are lucky that it is still in operation seeing how many classic attractions have disappeared.
It would be cool to see an update but Ill be happy just to keep it around.

poohbearkris
08-18-2009, 10:14 AM
I love this ride as well. The last scene could stand to be updated and there is a big lapse in time from between the last two scenes, but I love this ride and am happy that it is still around. I took DH there for the first time a few years back and it was his favorite attraction of all.