PDA

View Full Version : My New Pet Peeve!!

jaredkari
08-10-2009, 02:00 PM
My wife and I just got back from WDW yesterday and we have found our new pet peeve at the parks.... TEXTING!!!!!:mad:

I realize communication is important but when you are at WDW I thought it was supposed to be a family vacation and good times spent together. We were at the pool at Caribbean Beach and saw an entire family sitting around a table at the pool all texting. Father, Mother, Daughter and Son all had their cell phones out and weren't looking or talking to each other, just texting. On SpaceShip Earth we rode behind a girl that texted the entire ride!!! It was hilarious, here we were going this amazing star filled sky and she had her nose buried in her cell phone never looked up once, why did she wait in line for the attaction?!?!?!:confused:

I suppose I shouldn't let it bother me, it is everyones right to spend enormous amounts of money so that they can spend their vacation texting friends from Disney World. Ok I will get off my soapbox now.

nicster
08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I know what you mean about the whole texting thing. DH & I are empty nesters, our kids grew up & left home well before cell phones were so common. Last August we went to Maui with some friends & two teens, we couldn't believe how often those two were texting! Now, don't get me wrong, I text. I love the convenience of it, I was even responding to an inquiry last night while in the restaurant. My responses are a quick reply, not an entire conversation... and certainly not in the Happiest Place on Earth!!!!

Gregandmel
08-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Heck - that sort of stuff happens everywhere! My husband and I went out to dinner to a really nice, expensive dinner, and an entire family sat next to us "doing their own thing". Mom was reading a book, son was listening to his i-pod, daughter was texting and dad was looking bored. When their food came - NO conversation at all.

We went to Disney last October and our rule for our then-17 year old was: leave the phone at the resort. I explained that he could text & talk for an hour or two when we returned, but then he had to put it away again until it was close to bedtime.

It's really their loss......too many wonderful things to see and do in Disney!! :mickey:

TheVBs
08-10-2009, 02:16 PM
It's something I just don't get either. I completly understand the choice to have cell phones to communicate if you are splitting up in the parks. But chatting or texting a lot while you're missing out on a ride, the scenery or most important - family time? What a waste. :(

MNNHFLTX
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't exactly call it a pet peeve, but I am amazed how many teens are constantly texting while in the parks. I've noted girls in particular do this a lot. While my son carries his phone with him, he rarely checks for or responds to messages while at WDW.

It'sWDW4me
08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I can completely relate. Back in 2006 my mom, 2 brothers (16 & 10 at the time), brother's friend (16), my son (10), and I spent a week at POP. My brother's friend was excited for his first trip to the world but was sooooooo upset about spending an entire week :drama: away from his girlfriend. :ack: He wound up texting as he walked through MK, texting during Hoop De Doo, texting on rides, locking himself in the bathroom until all hours of the night texting and chatting with the love of his life. This last one especially ticked me off because it was almost impossible to wake him up and get out of the rooms in the morning PLUS he slept through the entire driving portion of the Kennedy Space Center tour. What a complete waste of time and $. :mad: Well, a few months later they broke up and he realized what an experience he blew while his head was in his phone!

I don't get it. I go to WDW to place reality on hold and have a great time with my family. Why muddy up the fantasy by letting the rest of the world slip in even for a moment?

prprincess
08-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I can totally understand where you are coming from.

Hubby and I have an agreement--no emails or texts when we are on vacation. He's on call 24/7 so we do allow the work-related messages, but nothing else. When we go on vacation we like to get away from it ALL, so I sometimes don't understand the need to be connected ALL of the time.

vicster
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Why would you even want your cell phone on while you're on vacation? I go on vacation to get away from all that.

JPL
08-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I have my phone with me on my trips but just use it to keep in touch with the people I am with or people I am meeting up with. I often meet up with a few Intercotees and it's so much easier to call and ask where they are or say I am over by the _________.

As for the texting people they are constantly texting and walking and never paying attention to where they are going. It really amzes me when I see people walking in a crowd with their head down focused on a little screen and keyboard.

bretski99
08-10-2009, 02:57 PM
At the risk of getting shot down here, I am going to weigh in with a dissenting opinion about texting.

Before I give it you should know that am 43 years old, do not communicating by text, and have a 14 year old son that constantly texts. In fact, I called the relationship with his first real girlfriend a "two thumb" relationship (meaning it was all about him clicking away, chatting with her over texts).

The question I would ask is: if texting were available when you all were teens, would you have used it? I agree seeing adults do it sometimes looks wierd (much like a mom wearing a Hannah Montana tee-shirt would look wierd). But for teens, this is the number one way they communicate. Do I tell him to turn it off sometimes? Yep. It's not allowed at the dinner table (especially in a restaurant). That said, I personally don't see any difference between this, and the fact that the entire baby boomer generation started watching too much television back in the 50's and 60's, much to the chagrin of their parents.

Personally I think this is a generation gap issue.

Now, should people texting while driving, or stopping in front of me while texting (and I'm trying to walk) be a pet peeve? Absolutely. But it's not about the texting. It's about people doing it. If they weren't texting, they'd find something else to occupy their time (at the expense of mine).

Disney Doll
08-10-2009, 03:01 PM
It is astounding isn't it. What gets me is the lack of family interaction. I hate seeing families who look like they can barely tolerate each others' company. When you are texting all day it kind of says that you prefer the person on the phone to the person you are with. Rude IMHO.

nicster
08-10-2009, 03:14 PM
At the risk of getting shot down here, I am going to weigh in with a dissenting opinion about texting.

Before I give it you should know that am 43 years old, do not communicating by text, and have a 14 year old son that constantly texts. In fact, I called the relationship with his first real girlfriend a "two thumb" relationship (meaning it was all about him clicking away, chatting with her over texts).

The question I would ask is: if texting were available when you all were teens, would you have used it? I agree seeing adults do it sometimes looks weird (much like a mom wearing a Hannah Montana tee-shirt would look weird). But for teens, this is the number one way they communicate. Do I tell him to turn it off sometimes? Yep. It's not allowed at the dinner table (especially in a restaurant). That said, I personally don't see any difference between this, and the fact that the entire baby boomer generation started watching too much television back in the 50's and 60's, much to the chagrin of their parents.

Personally I think this is a generation gap issue.

Now, should people texting while driving, or stopping in front of me while texting (and I'm trying to walk) be a pet peeve? Absolutely. But it's not about the texting. It's about people doing it. If they weren't texting, they'd find something else to occupy their time (at the expense of mine).
I get the generation thing... it's the texting DURING a family meal, a ride at WDW or while some other pleasant reality is going on that peeves me. Yes, we (baby boomers) watched way too much TV growing up, but we did not take it with us.

jimsgal05
08-10-2009, 03:22 PM
the texting has taken over the way people interact with eachother... Sad...I don't have aproblem with texting but there is a time and a place family time, vaction time, meal time isn't the time... I blame the parents. my daughter 14 has a cell phone and texts but thre is a limit...time limit too!! and there wou;d be NO way in WDW she would be allowed!

dizneefan67
08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Ok, since it's my 42nd birthdy today I ant to add my :twocents: worth on this subject....

First of all, WELL SAID Bretski, I am sure the other posts don't mean to tear down the texter as much as the texting! I agree with most of them in it s a pet peeve because you know that if they are doing it on vacation in WDW, then they are 9 chances out of 10 doing it while driving, which is another issue!
My issue with texting isn't the fact that teens and adult s do it, like you said, its doing and not paying attention to your surroundings and therefore, running into people and annoying them on their vacations. Now that being said,
42nd :birthday: 42nd
TO ME!

Have a great Day Intercotees!

Will:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I say the same thing, but I dont let it bother me. My WDW vacations are an escape for me. My cell stays at the resort!!:mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM

I'm going to put myself on the 'firing line' with you! Admitting that sometimes it is beyond ridiculous how much (and where and when) people text, overall I think it's not one of the things that bothers me that much.

We all have our peeves, but to me texting is relatively quiet (much better than someone on the cell phone at dinner or on a ride), it doesn't give off an annoying flash, and it doesn't smell (like smokers in line).

With our kids, we most definitely reduce the texting time while on vacation. But for us it's kind of a give and take thing with older teen-agers. They limit the texting to friends on vacation, we don't give them a rough time. Then when we make plans for a restaurant that serves more than burgers and fries, they don't give us a rough time. It really is a new generation, and texting and IM is the thing to be doing. Like I said, there are several things that bother me a lot more than texting fingers.

vws_and_disney
08-10-2009, 03:36 PM
when im on vacation i dont want my cellphone anywhere near me. when i land in florida it gets turned off and doesnt get turned on til we land at home. this is also coming from a habitual texter, but i dont want to be bothered on vacation

disneygeek84
08-10-2009, 03:38 PM
The only time I text while in WDW is to my family back home to make them jealous of where I am :D

When we were there last Sept during a bus ride home one night there was a family sitting next to us and the mom made the kids turn the screen light down so that it wouldn't bother anyone around them and made them put the phones up once we got to the resort. I almost thanked her for doing it. She was the only one I saw all week that made her kids put their cell phones away.

DisneyAggies
08-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Another one here with a DH that's on call 24/7. Our cell phones stay at the resort while on vacation (except for our vacation 2 years ago when DH's Grandfather was gravely ill--we received word of his passing at via cell).

Otherwise--all emails, pages, whatever are dealt with BEFORE we leave in the AM, when we come back to the resort for nap time, or in the evening when we are done for the day. His out of office message states the windows when he'll be able to return "emergency" only calls.

I might be bringing my cell to the parks this year so that I can journal via facebook, but I'm still not completely committed to that yet! :blush:

I DO understand the obsession with texting, but would likely institute some sort of texting ban during certain hours while on vacation (with my own DC). DH and I would lead by example and leave our phones in the room. :thumbsup:

kakn7294
08-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Why should anyone care if someone else choses to spend there vacation playing with a cell phone? As long as they are not using it in the middle of an attraction and it's not disturbing your experience, who cares? And I would rather have someone next to me texting their way through an attraction rather than having a conversation on that cell phone.

KAJUNKING
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
what really burns me up is when a teenager is sitting in front of me at the movie theater or on a dark attraction the light those little screens put off is really distracting

Ed
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I just think that it's sad that the obsessive texters in the parks are missing at least 50% of the overall WDW experience - - the visual elements and the fun of "people watching" - - while their faces are buried in the screen and keyboard. :(

EeyoresBestFriend
08-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I guess I'm out of touch , but I WILL NOT allow my hubby to take any work cells or laptops on vacation. The one time he did, he only checked at night when we got back to the room, but he would get wound up about things going on at work and then fret about stuff. He did not have a vacation or let go of work the whole time. :mad:
Next time the boss asked him to take it I said "only if you pay him for the whole vacation as if he was here." Pretty much got the point ~ for personal emergencies I leave our resort # with family ~ that's it!

No cells, no computers ~ vacation only :cloud9:

We are gone ~ leave us alone :D :mickey:

PirateLover
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
And I would rather have someone next to me texting their way through an attraction rather than having a conversation on that cell phone.
Really? I think both are incredibly rude. I had a few encounters with teens texting on rides on our last trip. It was extremely annoying. The thing that shocked me the most is we were getting on our return flight and some man was having an extremely loud, heated conversation on his phone as we were getting on the plane! I shared a look with a woman and she said something about how rude and self absorbed people can be on cell phones I said "Yeah I know, I couldn't believe how many people were texting during rides in Disney!" To which she replied "Yeah, well, I mean we texted on rides sometimes but that's because we had a big group and had to make sure everyone knew where everyone else was.":confused::confused:

Seasonscraps
08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
The only times texting bothers me is if the person in front of me is sort of meandering aimlessly in front of me because they are not paying attention, if the light from the cell is distracting and of course while driving/operating any kind of vehicle (that's all other issue entirely). Otherwise, I couldn't care less. It's their vacation. It's their money. I don't care if they miss something.

MNNHFLTX
08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I just think that it's sad that the obsessive texters in the parks are missing at least 50% of the overall WDW experience - - the visual elements and the fun of "people watching" - - while their faces are buried in the screen and keyboard. :(I agree with you, Ed. It doesn't really affect or bother me personally, but I feel kind of bad for the person doing it because they're missing out on experiences and interactions. And yes, I think many kids are actually obsessive about it, which is not a healthy thing.

DizNee143
08-10-2009, 04:12 PM
i could careless what other people do on there vacation..they wanna text the whole time..have at it..you dont see them complaining about there vacation..im sure they are having fun!
as for me..i text and call people while at disney..just because im in disney doesnt mean im dead to the world..ill call my friends or family..if im not with them..
especially if im just there with my hubby i call my sister alot.let her know what we are doing so she can day dream..and she does the same thing when she is there and im at home..
unless someone is being really rude or bumps into you cuz they are on the phone (one way or another) i might say something..otherwise like i said..i could careless what other people do on there vacation..i dont worry about them or even give them a thought..who cares!?!

Ian
08-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Personally I think this is a generation gap issue.I agree.

Also, people need to realize that there are people out there who don't have the luxury of leaving the office behind when they're on vacation. I know personally ... I couldn't afford to pay for my Disney vacations if I refused to check email and texts while out of the office because I'd be fired.

All that said, though, there's a time and a place for everything and I totally agree that in shows, rides, etc. is really not the time or the place. I nearly killed a dude at Candlelight Processional 2 years back because he texted on his Blackberry during the entire show.

I mean, his loss okay, but the light from the screen and the constant clicking noise and those flashing thumbs of his were so distracting that I couldn't really enjoy the show at all! :mad:

jaredkari
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I agree with some of the people who say that texting is ok but put limits on it. There should be limits on it!!! People need to know when it is time to put the cell phone away, while driving, while at work, and while spending time with your family which is what most vacationers are at WDW for.

For those who say it shouldn't bother me when others use their cell phones to text consider that most WDW attractions are dark so the glow of a cell phone screen is a considerable annoyance on an attraction. Also last week we had a Father talking on his cell phone throughout the entire Tiki Room show!!!! :mad:

My opinion is that everyone paid to get into the WDW therefore everyone should be considerate to others and stop being RUDE!!!

bretski99
08-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm going to put myself on the 'firing line' with you! Admitting that sometimes it is beyond ridiculous how much (and where and when) people text, overall I think it's not one of the things that bothers me that much.

We all have our peeves, but to me texting is relatively quiet (much better than someone on the cell phone at dinner or on a ride), it doesn't give off an annoying flash, and it doesn't smell (like smokers in line).

With our kids, we most definitely reduce the texting time while on vacation. But for us it's kind of a give and take thing with older teen-agers. They limit the texting to friends on vacation, we don't give them a rough time. Then when we make plans for a restaurant that serves more than burgers and fries, they don't give us a rough time. It really is a new generation, and texting and IM is the thing to be doing. Like I said, there are several things that bother me a lot more than texting fingers.

Well said. You highlighted my thoughts perfectly. We won't be allowing texts during any meals next week, but beyond that, kids are used to multi-tasking, and the cell phone is their lifeline. It's not any different than me wearing one of them "new-fangled walkmans" when I was 15. Asking teens to not do that except for an hour or two a day is asking them to cut off their right arm - it's their way of communicating now. I've seen parents try to enforce rules like that, then wonder why their kids are broodish and ticked off all week. It's not worth the hassle, and doesn't take the kid's perspective into account.

So everyone, here's the deal: If you see a 5' 6" blonde haired teenage boy with glasses and a gray, backwards baseball cap with an R on it, walking too slow in front of you next week when you are trying to get to space mountain before it closes, feel free to tell him to stop texting his girlfriend and step aside - tell him his Dad said so. If you see us texting or using our cell phones in a restaurant, call us on it (hint: We'll be the ones NOT actually doing any of that). Otherwise, cut him (and the rest of the teens) a little slack. They really are having fun, whether you think so or not.

And I like the point about smokers. Smoke somewhere other than in line for a ride - PLEASE! That would be my peeve.

PittFan
08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Why should anyone care if someone else choses to spend there vacation playing with a cell phone? As long as they are not using it in the middle of an attraction and it's not disturbing your experience, who cares? And I would rather have someone next to me texting their way through an attraction rather than having a conversation on that cell phone.

I agree completely. Texting is alot better than annoying everyone on an attraction with an obnoxious ringtone every 3 min.

cer
08-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Also last week we had a Father talking on his cell phone throughout the entire Tiki Room show!!!! :mad:

Unfortunately, and this is just my opinion, what Disney has done to the Enchanted Tiki Room is far more criminal than the Father talking on his cell phone. :(

Marceline
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Unfortunately, and this is just my opinion, what Disney has done to the Enchanted Tiki Room is far more criminal than the Father talking on his cell phone. :(

:funny: Ohhh yeah! We have a winner!!

I also completely agree with DizNee143.
If it's not harming me or somebody else, why is it my business to care. A person quietly tapping on a cellphone is pretty harmless.

If I gave my energy to thinking negatively about all the people in the world that I thought were not putting their attention where they ought to and not enjoying all the sights and sounds that I do....I would have to question if I was putting MY attention where I ought to.;)

Septbride2002
08-10-2009, 06:25 PM
I get annoyed when my dinner companions text or are checking the internet while we are eating. It is one thing if it is for work in the - OMG I just got this email give me a second to respond. But when they are checking the scores for football games, the stock market prices, etc - that sort of ticks me off. It's like saying - you are not that interesting.

I take my cell to Disney because I call my Mom on the trip as she is a Disney-holic too. I also take it to text our friends who usually travel with us - the text are usually "Headed 2 MK" or "Leaving MGM" that way if they want to meet up they have a general idea of where we are.

~Amanda

Melanie
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I might be bringing my cell to the parks this year so that I can journal via facebook, but I'm still not completely committed to that yet! :blush:

SO guilty, as you know. :blush:

SurferStitch
08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
DH and I have had iPhone since they came out, and now have the new 3GS with video capability, so we will definitely have them with us in the parks....BUT....I never use it as a real phone in the parks! I'm not one to call people to tell them that I'm having a great time when I know they're at work or home or whatever. I have a guilty conscience and just feel like I would be gloating. I don't really like talking on the phone anyway....ESPECIALLY at WDW!!

I like to have internet access if needed, or to snap a quick pic or video to post on Facebook or whatever, but that's about it. Don't know if I'll even do that!

DH and I are texters, but not to the extreme. I love to shop in the parks, and lots of times DH likes to just sit outside and relax while I do that. Texting comes in handy to quickly find each other.

It does bother me to see so many kids and teens with their noses in their phones and Gameboys, and not having conversations with their families, but that's how it seems to be anymore. My niece is notorious for that. When we take her and my nephew up to NYC on trips, she knows that the phone stays in her purse. She only answers calls that come in, and keeps them short. But, around her parents, I swear the phone is sewn to her ear!

Mousemates
08-10-2009, 09:45 PM
I tend to agree with the "who cares" group on this one...that is unless its my teen who's doing the texting...we'll let them have at it (texting wise) to a point, but when we are at a meal or in a show they know their limits (or they lose phone for a while).

I also agree with the whole generational thing in terms of the complaints...seems that I remember "adults" (llike people my moms age) complaining about "kids" walking around with their ipods not paying attention ) or 'adults talking on cell phones (in restaurants, malls, etc) acting like "bigshots" (what my father in law called them)....now that generation wears ipods and talks on their cell phones everywhere they go ...in my opinion its only a matter of time until this technology completely jumps the generation gap as well.

:twocents:

Aggie97
08-10-2009, 10:54 PM
If someone wants to text while on vacation, in line for a ride, on a bus or boat, in a shop, while dining in a restaurant, or in lieu of ever speaking to the other members of their party, I could not care less!

However, it REALLY bothers me when someone texts during a darkened ride, show, or movie. The bright light from a cell phone/PDA screen is unbelievably distracting.

I feel that's the only time a stranger's texting actually has an adverse affect on my WDW experience. It's truly inconsiderate.

In my opinion, it would have to be a pretty dire texting emergency (:confused:) to prevent a person from waiting until the end of a darkened WDW attraction to send a text....

Jeniflower
08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Hey if they want to text its their choice but if they miss out its their loss. I'll be leaving my phone at the resort, but thats my choice

One time texting is good: Text a joke to the Monster's Inc laugh Floor

TheVBs
08-11-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't think the complaints are centered around texting in general. It's a great tool that a lot of people use and it's very popular with teens. I think the frustraion really lies with texting when it's inappropriate, dark rides, movies, when it impedes your ability to navigate around others.

Darbylew
08-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I have my cell phone at all times in the parks.
If we need to find someone or meet up with
others it is a good way to do so. I do not text
at all anywhere. I would rather talk to someone
if I have to. I always want to keep in touch with
other family members that don't come with us
to Disney as well. I don't mind people texting if
that is what they want to do but I am there to
have a fun time. :mickey:

tinksmom02
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I carry my cell phone with me in the parks, but I don't text (I don't text at all, really). And I don't really use the phone, but I like to have it if, heaven forbid, DD should get seperated from us, or if there is an emergency with our dogs at home.

I agree with others, I think habitual texters are missing out, but as long as they're not bothering me, I don't really care. Their loss, not mine!

:mickey:

drummerboy
08-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I was the kid, in the late 50s and early 60s, who followed my parents around at some places reading a comic book. I somehow always knew what was going on around me and never lost them. However, the comic didn't come out during meals, etc. We actually talked.

No matter what era, there always seems to be something that will serve as a distraction for teens, but parents still need to be parents and teach them the proper times to use and not use the distractions. Then again, my nearly 40 SIL sets a poor example for his own children by midlessly texting at a restaurant (i.e., there's really no need for him to be texting anyone at the time--he's using a good excuse to ignore the family).

johnO
08-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Its amazing how texting is becoming a way of life for this new generation, their faces constantly buried in their cellphones, missing out on actual life experiences, which are replaced by interfaces with an electronic device, substituting reality.

Ian
08-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Its amazing how texting is becoming a way of life for this new generation, their faces constantly buried in their cellphones, missing out on actual life experiences, which are replaced by interfaces with an electronic device, substituting reality.See ... I hear that all the time, but I'm not really sure it's true.

It's true from our perspective on childhood. I mean, I'm not sure how old you are but I'm 40 and I grew up when kids went outside and actually played together face-to-face. So, to me, it definitely feels like this generation is "missing out."

But are they really? Or is that just our old fogies perception? I mean, I communicate now through email a lot and I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. Sure, I prefer face-to-face, but I suspect most kids do, as well. It's just that they can now keep in touch with their friends when they're not face-to-face with them ... and I'm pretty sure I would have done when I was a kid if I could have. At least once I became a teen and got interested in girls!

kakn7294
08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
I have to admit that I love techno toys and the instant satisfaction of being able to contact someone that I might not otherwise keep in touch with. I have friends all over the country now due to sites like this and Facebook. I have reconnected with people I used to go to school with or work with and I have made new friends via the internet and we keep in touch via our computers and cell phones. I do get frustrated when people are being rude in their useage of their phones, but otherwise, I'm right there with them!

disneykid@hrt
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I was just thinking about that the other day. When I was younger I used to dread going on vacation with my family because I didn't want to be away from my friends! It seems so insane to me now. I would sit and talk on the phone- texting hadn't really taken off to the extent it has now- the whole vacation.

Oh the horror- my freshman year in high school my mother and I were going on a Caribbean Cruise for Spring Break!! I wouldn't even be able to call them! I cried the whole way to the airport and put little pictures of my friends up next to the bed. It sounds so silly now!! But back then it was life and death.

Now when I go on Vacation, I only use the phone to contact the people I'm with, check in with the fam if I had to leave them back home, and maybe kick-back, have a cocktail, and call a friend I haven't talked to in awhile. But at Disney- there's no time for phones!!!! I don't want to miss a moment!

My kids will have the leave the phone at the resort rule. This trip I bought some Boost mobile walkie-talkie pre-paid cell phones, so we can use the chirp feature in the Parks, and might not be taking our Verizons anywhere!:thumbsup:

johnO
08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Ian,

I'm sure some of my gripes could be because im getting old. I think email and socialnetworking sites are in a different catagory. You don't have to constanty stay conected to them, you can sign on in the morning, correspond, and check again at night. or everyso often throughout the day.

But with this new texting phenomenon, I watch people and they're completely oblivious to what is happening around them, they're not at home in front of their PC, they're driving, they're walking down the street, sitting in public with no clue about their surroundings, conversations which maybe going on with people who are right next to them, not at the other end of a phone.

It absorbs all of their attention and I actually watch people at work who contribute less nowadays because they're so enthralled with texting, facebook mobile, etc.. that they pay no attention or don't envolve themselves with what's happening around them.

pokci
08-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I recently learned how to text at the ripe old age of 45! :secret: However, texting is not my thing and I only do it if I truly need to, usually for work purposes. I don't think this is a generation thing. While I agree with the many posters that each generation has "its' thing", texting and technology today have taken away down time and alone time and silence. When I go to Disney, with or without anyone, with or without friends and family, I DO NOT bring the phone into the parks. Period. I want no contact with the outside world. My last vacation I went with a friend who actually called his friends a few times while we were waiting in line. :( To me it felt like an invasion of sorts!:shake: It's a VACATION in a country that has one of the fewest vacation days of many on the planet. What is it that is SO important that we can not simply disconnect for a few days and enjoy time with our selves, time with people we chose to vacation with, time doing NOTHING?! :confused: As one poster said, it is very rare for someone to be courteous enough to lower the screen light. The other day in the movie theatre, someone chose to open their phone two rows below us and text during the movie. :mad: Very distracting. Short of wanting to hear about a gravely ill person, which someone mentioned, what is it, really, that is so important it can't wait? I am soooo looking forward to unplugging after Thanksgiving! :cloud9:

Ian
08-11-2009, 07:26 PM
When I go to Disney, with or without anyone, with or without friends and family, I DO NOT bring the phone into the parks. Period. I want no contact with the outside world. My last vacation I went with a friend who actually called his friends a few times while we were waiting in line. :( To me it felt like an invasion of sorts!:shake: It's a VACATION in a country that has one of the fewest vacation days of many on the planet. What is it that is SO important that we can not simply disconnect for a few days and enjoy time with our selves, time with people we chose to vacation with, time doing NOTHING?! :confused: I understand what you're saying, but trust me ... there are many, many folks for whom a real, honest-to-God, disconnected vacation is a rarity (myself included).

I have been on exactly one vacation where I was truly unplugged in the last 10 years and that was only because we were aboard a cruise ship in Mexico with very limited Internet access.

My job allows me certain flexibilities that I have to then pay back by being highly available ... and yes, that even includes when I'm on vacation. But the way I look at it is, I could never afford all these vacations without the job so the sacrifice seems minimal most of the time.

NotaGeek
08-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I am an avid texter, emailer, Facebooker, picture poster (while on vacation ... at home, where ever) ... I don't text during movies, during dinners where silence is required ... and I generally have my phone on vibrate so it won't bug people. Oh, and I am 40 ... so its not just he younger generation.

Ksmith75
08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Then you have the texters who dont watch where they are going! I text but never on vacation. DH and i dont even take our phones into the parks. and family or friends only know to contact us in am emergency. if i get a text or a call when i check when we get back in the room and it is not an emergency - i dont reply back. it is so great to be free of the cell phone!

drummerboy
08-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Some body this afternoon was telling me about his grandchild and his friend who were texting to each other in the back seat of the car, right next to each other, and he couldn't understand why they'd want to do that. I didn't say it, but I was thinking, "Well of course, so they can talk about you." :D

disneymom2000
08-11-2009, 09:50 PM
an entire family sat next to us "doing their own thing". Mom was reading a book, son was listening to his i-pod, daughter was texting and dad was looking bored. When their food came - NO conversation at all.
:mickey:

And we wonder why the American family is so disfunctional these days. People can't spell or hold a conversation with each other any more. Technology is not all good.:(

Boost
08-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I personally think it is ridiculous, but I am not a teen...

dizknee531
08-12-2009, 12:35 AM
The texting is out of control. We make a pact with the kids to focus on our family fun time, instead of friends that are far away!! It's a struggle with constant reminders, but we seem to win!!

Gooftroop5
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I use my cell phone to text & I am in my mid 30's my mom uses hers just as much if not more then I do to text. I use it in the parks for contact to find each other & check on what is happening at home.My BFF stayes at our house while we are gone. However it is not constant. DH & I don't even bring our phones to the pool area. That is time to play with the kids.

The only time the texting bothers me is when i am on a ride or in a show & that is all you see is the light from the cell phone. Of course they are not my children & if they were they would be limited to the time they could be texting.

What bothers me more is the kids always playing their nintendo dses. We didn't even let dd bring hers & she had a 2 day car ride. It was our chance to not fight to limit her time with it. She has enough other times to play it. It is a family vacation.

We went to dinner at a buffet the day before we went into Disney a family of 3 sat next to us. The son was about dd's age so that would be around 10. His mother went & got his food while he sat there & played the game. Then he played & ate. I think he stopped playing once to go get his dessert. The mom tried talking to to him but he just ignored her & played the game. It also happened one night on our way back from the park on the monorail the whole family was sitting on the opposite side of the car as soon as one of the sons sits down he starts playing his ds. It was 12:30am. Dh & I talked to the 2 that were still awake (youngest was sound asleep in the stroller).The other family just sat there not talking to anyone. I know it was late but that is our big thing when we leave the park is to talk about what our favorite thing we did or saw that day was.

bruin1344
08-12-2009, 01:22 PM
If someone wants to text while on vacation, in line for a ride, on a bus or boat, in a shop, while dining in a restaurant, or in lieu of ever speaking to the other members of their party, I could not care less!

However, it REALLY bothers me when someone texts during a darkened ride, show, or movie. The bright light from a cell phone/PDA screen is unbelievably distracting.

I feel that's the only time a stranger's texting actually has an adverse affect on my WDW experience. It's truly inconsiderate.

In my opinion, it would have to be a pretty dire texting emergency (:confused:) to prevent a person from waiting until the end of a darkened WDW attraction to send a text....

right on

i usually leave my cell phone off most of the vacation because i am in WDW to get away from the stress of everyday life

coneygoil
08-17-2009, 09:26 AM
That is so ridiculous! People these days especially teens, don't know how to get their mind of the phone and onto the cool things around them. The only time I text at WDW is to my husband because I'm always go with my folks and I miss him!

Tigger&Stitch
08-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Sadly, I think it's a sign of the times. So many want to "share" their experiences with remotely connected people (via Facebook, twitter etc) that they aren't actually interacting or enjoying actual real life. It's bizarre to me, and something we definitely won't be doing on vacation. We are going to be spending heaps to get to WDW, and even more money while we are there - so why would I be distracted the entire time?

The odd thing to me are people who update everything they do - even while in WDW. "We are now in the queue for ___". "We are now riding ___". Why not just enjoy the actual experience?

We're going in a month, and I do not look forward to walking behind someone who is too busy texting (and walking slowly) to realise there may be people behind him/her walking to a ride.

poohbearkris
08-21-2009, 10:14 AM
My opinion is that it can be appropriate to text somebody. I will be traveling with my DS and her son on my next trip. This will be his first trip and his dad will not be going with us. I am sure my sister will send him some pictures via the phone as I am sure he is going to feel bad once they leave that he is not vacationing also. I can handle this as well as looking for people and such. But it seems that many people are constantly texting or talking on the phone (and my mom has been one to walk thru the park and talk on the phone about nothing in particular). To me, it takes away some of the magic and quality time you are there to spend with your loved ones. But this is just my opinion. I am not a texter either, would rather talk, but I save my talking for when I get back to the room usually.

emmetlovesmaleficent
08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
My wife and I just got back from WDW yesterday and we have found our new pet peeve at the parks.... TEXTING!!!!!:mad:

I realize communication is important but when you are at WDW I thought it was supposed to be a family vacation and good times spent together. We were at the pool at Caribbean Beach and saw an entire family sitting around a table at the pool all texting. Father, Mother, Daughter and Son all had their cell phones out and weren't looking or talking to each other, just texting. On SpaceShip Earth we rode behind a girl that texted the entire ride!!! It was hilarious, here we were going this amazing star filled sky and she had her nose buried in her cell phone never looked up once, why did she wait in line for the attaction?!?!?!:confused:

I suppose I shouldn't let it bother me, it is everyones right to spend enormous amounts of money so that they can spend their vacation texting friends from Disney World. Ok I will get off my soapbox now.

i notice this at concerts...when i saw Britney Spears...dont judge me :)...every1 had there camera out and saw the show on there screen!!!

emmetlovesmaleficent
08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
My opinion is that it can be appropriate to text somebody. I will be traveling with my DS and her son on my next trip. This will be his first trip and his dad will not be going with us. I am sure my sister will send him some pictures via the phone as I am sure he is going to feel bad once they leave that he is not vacationing also. I can handle this as well as looking for people and such. But it seems that many people are constantly texting or talking on the phone (and my mom has been one to walk thru the park and talk on the phone about nothing in particular). To me, it takes away some of the magic and quality time you are there to spend with your loved ones. But this is just my opinion. I am not a texter either, would rather talk, but I save my talking for when I get back to the room usually.

well ya...i wud send a few pics but all the time? thats why they made photopass. so ppl wudnt be taking pics 24/7

ThanxForNoticin
08-21-2009, 11:53 AM
well ya...i wud send a few pics but all the time? thats why they made photopass. so ppl wudnt be taking pics 24/7

Actually, I expect they created Photopass because they could offer something people would pay for - it's a convenience and a business (money-making) decision. And since Disney World is probably the most photographed destination in the entire world, I think it's probably OK to take and send as many pictures as you want.

I think texting really is just another 'peeve' for some folks, as the original poster described. But basically, "rude" is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks view texting as rude and inconsiderate - others view it as normal and very appropriate. It's not unlike other things, like smoking, strollers, scooters, cell-phone conversations, Ipods, saving seats, etc.

I certainly hope most people won't let the texting craze ruin their own good time at Disney!! Isn't it really all a part of the experience and diversity of Disney? Old/ young, American/ International, strollers to wheelchairs, different religions, different dress, and even texting/ non-texting! OK, now I'll get off MY soapbox. I just know I would much rather be at the MK behind someone texting than sitting here just reading about Disney today!! Can someone please text me a picture from Main Street?!!!

emmetlovesmaleficent
08-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Actually, I expect they created Photopass because they could offer something people would pay for - it's a convenience and a business (money-making) decision. And since Disney World is probably the most photographed destination in the entire world, I think it's probably OK to take and send as many pictures as you want.

I think texting really is just another 'peeve' for some folks, as the original poster described. But basically, "rude" is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks view texting as rude and inconsiderate - others view it as normal and very appropriate. It's not unlike other things, like smoking, strollers, scooters, cell-phone conversations, Ipods, saving seats, etc.

I certainly hope most people won't let the texting craze ruin their own good time at Disney!! Isn't it really all a part of the experience and diversity of Disney? Old/ young, American/ International, strollers to wheelchairs, different religions, different dress, and even texting/ non-texting! OK, now I'll get off MY soapbox. I just know I would much rather be at the MK behind someone texting than sitting here just reading about Disney today!! Can someone please text me a picture from Main Street?!!!

i agree...disney is fun but we k there only in it 4 the $$$

darthmacho
08-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree with you. I actually pity someone who can't leave that sort of thing behind and immerse themselves in the Happiest Place on Earth. So much going on around them to satisfy all five senses-to not pay attention is a sin. :nono:

pink
08-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm 19 and when texting became popular a few years ago I didn't like it then and I still don't now. I feel like it is impersonal and a waste of time. If you have something to tell someone then say it, you don't have to talk 5 words at a time. I use texting for quick little messages like "call me when you're free" if I call someone and they don't answer but never for full conversations.

In March there was an hour wait for Test Track. This young girl waited in the line and the second the ride started she started texting her friends. :confused: I will never understand it.

To me, texting is lazy. In a few years we are all going to forget to write and talk properly and have very strong thumbs haha.:mickey:

Kenny1113
08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
I used to feel the same in regards to cell phones and texting while on vacation. I didn't get it.
Until I went On vacation once with my bil and once with my dad. Both have careers that really only allow them to take a vacation if they are accessable (phones/smart phones). Both received interruptions several times during trip. The interruptions were minor problems needed to be solved by them, which would become "big headaches" if they waited until they returned.
I agree there is a time and a place, and one should be considerate.

Dopey's Girl
08-23-2009, 12:22 PM
I text while in WDW, but I make sure my ringtone is on silent, I won't answer on a ride where the light of the screen could bother someone, and if I'm out in the walkways, I'm sure to step to the side so I'm not in the way while I respond.

My texts aren't for work or anything like that, but most of the time I'm traveling without my family, so they like to text to check in on me.

Personally as long as you are mindfull of the people around you, I don't see the issue. Any sort of technology has the potential to annoy...as long as you aren't disturbing anyone else, I don't see the harm.

Hull-onian
08-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Texting is everywhere. The only advantage I can think of is, the texter is not annoying any one with verbal comunication, I guess.:secret:

TikiLounger
08-27-2009, 10:22 AM
We, too, use our cell phones in Disney...only to find each other, though. My kids got caught up in the texting thing when it first started getting popular (they're 17 and 19). I think, for them, it was mostly the novelty of having their own phone and being able to talk to their friends...constantly (LOL). We didn't really worry about how much they texted (as long as those they texted were in our network!)...we'd already learned how quickly they'd get tired of whatever fad they were obsessed with for the moment and we just kind of let it run it's course. A few years back, I think there was one trip where they texted their friends...a lot. But now? They don't even bother to answer if they get a text from a friend while we're together. I agree with the other posters who say that, as adults, we get annoyed by teens who don't seem to be as interested in the awesomeness that is Disney but we have to remember that they ARE teens and they have a completely different take on what is "fun". Eventually, they grow up and (hopefully) become "human" again!

oh, and personally, I'd rather have people texting each other in the parks than using those little walkie talkies that were so popular a few years ago...:call:

MushuMulan
08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm a teenager, and I honestly am horribly annoyed by others in my age group that text while at the parks.

Their parents are paying for a vacation to a wonderful place that most people don't see very often, and they have their faces buried in their cell phones. I'm not trying to blast any parenting skills or teens for that matter, but why do something you can do any day of the week when you're at home when you're at a place that most people only visit once or twice every few years?

Put down the cell phone for a second, and just enjoy the atmosphere around you.

indytraveler
08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I'd rather have them texting than LOUD TALKING. Yes it may seem rude and anti social to some but to a certain degree it has become normal. However, I have a rule that on vacation a text here and there is ok but if it interferes with family time then NO way!

MushuMulan
08-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Personally I don't understand why anyone would even be talking on their phone for more than 5 minutes, let alone talk on it while on vacation. I always thought vacation was a time to get away from everything back home.