PDA

View Full Version : Think SM will have a special passholder preview???

KAT1811
08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I remember going to WDW (as an annual passholder) when Mickey's Philharmagic was brandy dandy new and almost opening. Prior to the official opening they offered a "sneak preview" to annual passholders. We were thrilled! Anywho, we are traveling to the World in November of this year and are set to depart on the 16th, just a mere 5 days prior to the "official" stated reopening of Space Mountain. Does anyone think they might offer a "sneak preview" of SM???

JPL
08-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I highly doubt they will do an AP preview since there was really no significant changes made to the attractions. They usally reserve these for new attractions and ones that received a major refurb like HoP

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to second JPL's statement. If it had gotten the massive refurb it was supposed to get, then yes, definitely, there would have been an AP preview. The ride is going to come out of this largely unchanged so it'll likely just be business as usual when it reopens.

Goes4FastPass
08-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I thought this was going to be a major refurb of Space Mountain.

What happened?

JPL
08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Budget Cuts :(

This another case of WDW basically waiting until the ride needed major work like the HM did only this time instead of fixing all the probelms and plussing the ride and doing it right they decided to go minimal. They also claimed they didn't want it closed any longer :rolleyes:

Goes4FastPass
08-10-2009, 12:59 PM
This is a long refurb to be a minor refurb.

How do people who make 30+yr DVC contracts feel when they hear, "Garsh! You know the improvements we promised to make? Those plans have magically changed!"

JPL
08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Most sources have the changes being minor to the ride. Here is a list of some of the confirmed changes

Reinforce support structure & replace some track
Redo of Queue
enclosed loading area
Enchanced lighting effects
New ride control computer

Giggy
08-10-2009, 04:49 PM
As I think has already been touched on a lot of the change is to do with the running of the ride. This will take a long time to sort out if ride control is being redone and track is being reinforced. These in themselves don't make for much (if any) change to a guest's experience on the ride but are essential upgrades in terms of safety and efficiency.

For what it's worth I'd rather not just make the ride a clone of the one at Disney Land. I have not been on the Disney Land version but the point is this one is unique. You can go on the other one by going to Disney Land whereas if this version is gotten rid of then it is no longer available. Make positive changes when suitable by all means but I'd rather both rides are kept alive.