PDA

View Full Version : First Time Fall Visitor ??s

MistressGracey
08-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Hello all!

I had a couple questions regarding our upcoming September 20th trip to the World. We have been to WDW many, many times, once in July (yikes!) and all the rest of our trips have been in February or March. This year we were planning a Christmas trip, but bumped it up to September to take advantage of a AAA free dining offer. :thumbsup:

My Unofficial Guide touts September as an ideal time to visit, crowd-wise. I suppose that makes sense since school has just started back, but I was wanting opinions on crowd levels from folks who actually visit at this time of year.

Also, is it still terribly hot there in late September usually? When we were there in July, every day it was ghastly until 3 PM (almost exactly) when the sky would open up and it would POUR! Then it went right back to being ghastly...I'm assuming that it may be a wee bit cooler in September, but that we won't need to bring our jackets this year.

Anything else any veteran September Disney-goers could tell me would be welcome!

Thanks muchly!:mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Late September is a GREAT time to visit. You still get some decent park hours and entertainment offerings, but you're there before the rush of MNSSHP and Food and Wine. The weather is great, the crowds are low. I think you'll find that September is a great time to visit.

Strmchsr
08-09-2009, 03:10 PM
September is mostly a good time. Certainly crowds have picked up with the popularity of the "free" dining promotion but the only tough parts are getting into restaurants (make sure you have ADRs!) and the potential for tropical storms. I would suggest you check the historic weather conditions page in Info Central. You can see exact weather conditions over the last 5 years which will give you a good idea of what to expect weather-wise.

JenniferS.
08-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I have been quite a few times in Sept. Yes, it is still ghastly hot. We usually go right after labor day. It is a great time to go if you can stand the heat. Most rides were either walk on or a 10 min wait at the most. The more popular rides we used fastpasses and it was fine. It's all decorated for halloween at that time. This past year, we went in May and we still prefer Sept crowds. Our next trip will be in 2011 in December. We need a break from the heat. Have fun.

KAT1811
08-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I have been quite a few times in Sept. Yes, it is still ghastly hot. We usually go right after labor day. It is a great time to go if you can stand the heat. Most rides were either walk on or a 10 min wait at the most. The more popular rides we used fastpasses and it was fine. It's all decorated for halloween at that time.

:ditto:

We go in November now and like it more than September. The heat was just too much. 90+ most days. You'd step outside and the heat would just blast you!!! The crowds were great but I did start to notice an influx of visitors during that time due to "free dining". If you don't mind the heat it is a great time to go.

faline
08-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Crowds are generally low. Weather is generally quite hot and humid throughout September. This is the time of year when there is also the possibility of a hurricane or tropical storm though the odds of one occurring during your trip are still remote.

Giggy
08-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Haven't been at this time before but it's a similar time to when we were looking at possibly going for next year. Our understanding is the crowds are quite good but it is still pretty hot. Also regular rain showers - I hear that mentioned a lot and that they're heavy but no one ever seems to says how long they last for each day.

Previously we've done late April-May, May-June and October-November, so nothing too extreme. We would take a week or two off school and then have another week which is a half term in Britain. Now we're older this isn't an option. My sister will be have exams next year so can't take time off school. Me and my brother are at university so can't take time out and don't have half terms anyway. To fit around everyone's holidays with the times actually available our best bet seems to be last week of August and first week of September. My sister would be starting college and they normally go back around September 10th. We've ruled out Christmas and Easter as it's really crowded then and me and my brother will be busy anyway.

Leaving it until a later year wouldn't work any better. My brother graduates next year so will have a job to fit around things after that. I'm trying to get into Medical School and a couple years into that it moves onto clinical term dates with shorter holidays, Making things harder to organise.

So, late August --> early September.... what is it like then?

(Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, just seems to be a similar topic)

Strmchsr
08-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Also regular rain showers - I hear that mentioned a lot and that they're heavy but no one ever seems to says how long they last for each day.

So, late August --> early September.... what is it like then?

The afternoon sea breeze thunderstorms generally occur between 3 and 5 pm and last 30-60 min. And, yes, they can be extremely heavy so you just want to get inside when they come over.

As for late Aug/early Sept - very hot and humid, afternoon thunderstorms each day, but crowds are pretty good with the exception of Labor Day weekend.

jenperich
08-09-2009, 08:26 PM
We are also taking our first trip in the fall. We are going the second week of October. What's it like then? Thanks for your help!

KAT1811
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
We are also taking our first trip in the fall. We are going the second week of October. What's it like then? Thanks for your help!

It should still be quite warm but not as bad as late August/early September. It should start to cool off a bit by then. F&W is going on then so Epcot will still be pretty busy as the festival brings in a lot of people. We go the first two weeks in November and you can't imagine the difference in the crowds from one week to the next. As soon as F&W ends the people clear out of Epcot. Last year the first week there was a sea of people in WS and then after F&W ended there was virtually no one. It was great!

MistressGracey
08-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Thankfully, Food and Wine Festival starts on the day we leave, LOL...I've heard that the Epcot crowds can get pretty hairy at this time.

Thanks to you all for sharing your tips and advice on visiting WDW in September!:thumbsup:

TheVBs
08-10-2009, 02:03 PM
We love going in Sept! It can still be hot, but probably better than summer. Great crowd levels too!

nicster
08-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Thankfully, Food and Wine Festival starts on the day we leave, LOL...I've heard that the Epcot crowds can get pretty hairy at this time.

Thanks to you all for sharing your tips and advice on visiting WDW in September!:thumbsup:
We arrive just about when you are leaving... we will take it from there:mickey:

MistressGracey
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
We arrive just about when you are leaving... we will take it from there:mickey:

LOL, roger!:thumbsup:

DisneyHoneymooners
08-11-2009, 10:42 AM
We are in WDW the last week of September every year. I guess "hot" depends on your definition.
It's in the 90s but coming from Michigan I don't mind it a bit. Crowds are usually not a problem-but watch out for the weekends! We're going to be there from the 20th-27th and if history repeats things will get busier that Friday and by Saturday it's pretty crowded. I'm not sure if it's local traffic or people coming in for long weekend trips, but we have trouble even finding a spot at the pool.

johnO
08-11-2009, 03:59 PM
We love September! The crowds at WDW are probably one of the biggest factors in choosing our vacation dates. Free dining, lower temps, fewer crowds makes for a great trip. We'll be there the last week of September as well....

BluewaterBrad
08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Its till very hot, but a great time to visit. Have fun!!:mickey: