PDA

View Full Version : help me choose new dining!

mousetrapper
08-09-2009, 12:50 PM
OK, so we're able to do our every-other-year trip to WDW this year (thought we wouldn't be able to but SW deal was too good to pass up).

With DDs in school (freshman in college and sophomore in high school) plus limited budget (DH out of work), we are keeping the trip to 5 days/4 nights rather than the full week we've been doing the last few times.

Part of the fun for us is dining. We usually do the dining plan but are considering skipping that this year to save money as well as time in the restaurants.

We have decided to do snacks and quick service then ADRs only for dinners (and one breakfast - Kona Cafe to get our Tonga Toast fix!). With sitdown lunches out of the equation, and a limited number of dinners, we're debating which are our "must -do" restaurants. We're thinking about having each of us (two DDs, DH and me) choose our personal favorite.

Here's where you come in. To follow is a listing of most of the restaurants we've done in the past, each followed by a little explanation of why we want or don't want to do that one this go-round.

Are there any personal must-do sitdown restaurants not listed here that you think we should definitely try this time for dinner?

Chef Mickey's - this has always been our first dinner at WDW. One of my 18 year old DD's faves.

Boma's - I love it for the food and atmosphere but the others in my family say they could pass.

SciFi - We did this one a few trips ago. Another of our 18 year old's faves. OK - not a fave of mine.

Cali Grill - We all loved this one last trip. Fancy.

50s Prime Time - DH and I loved on solo trip; server not as good during our family trip, so not a family fave.

Crystal Palace - For years, where we ate our last meal in WDW before jetting off.

LeCellier - Great meal; DDs are vegetarians though.

Tokyo - I think this was a different name before (Teppenyaki)? 15 year old DD loves this one.

Garden Grill - DDs loved it but they were a lot younger when we went.

San Angel - Love the atmosphere here.

Liberty Tree - We ate here on Thanksgiving last trip but that was enough I think!

Tony's - OK but not a standout for us.

Mama Melrose's - Again, OK but not a standout.

Hollywood & Vine - Just fine!

Brown Derby - Great to try at least once; fancy.

Biergarten - Did this one years ago and enjoyed it. Food's on the heavy side though. A DH fave!

Ohana's - DDs seem to love it. Fun atmosphere, beautiful resort (we love the Poly).

Whispering Canyon - Beautiful resort; loved the boat trip over. Hearty BBQ-type food, fun atmosphere.

IamBelle
08-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I heard 1900 Park Fare in GF for dinner was delicious. I have been there for breakfast and it is really good, and we are trying it this year for dinner.

mouseketeer mom
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I am recommending Sanaa at Kidani village. We ate here over this past week and this ones a keeper. Super unique enviornment, super unique and delicious menu, fun, different, the service was incredible, and it was special dining without breaking the bank. We enjoyed our meal here better then Cali Grill or Narcoosees. Its African with an Indian flair. Like a step up from Bomas, a step down from Jikos, but simply wonderful. We sampled a great deal of the menu and not one thing disappointed. The bread appetizer with different dipping sauces was INCREDIBLE, and I'm not a bread person. We watched giraffes while we dined. One thing we ate was better than the next. I highly recommend this.

mousetrapper
08-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Sanaa sounds like a place my DDs would love - they love Indian food. Is it located in AKL? Is it a relatively new restaurant?

1900 Park Fare sounds great too. We've never eaten in the Grand Floridian, just visited the lobby.

SBETigg
08-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Sanaa is at the AKL, Kidani Village, it's new and probably a great choice for the vegetarians.

Tokyo Dining and Teppan Edo are two separate restaurants, both in Japan. Teppan Edo is the one that used to be Teppanyaki. Tokyo Dining is sushi and Japanese cooking. (another possible good choice for the vegetarians). I really like Grand Floridian Cafe, if you haven't tried that one.

If you want a table service, quick service, and counter service each day, it seems the dining plan would still be your best bet (regular, not deluxe). If you probably won't want a TS every day, maybe better to skip the dining plan.

DisneyFr33k
08-09-2009, 03:59 PM
From your list, I've commented on our thoughts on where we've both tried:

Boma's - I love it for the food and atmosphere - we agree!!
SciFi - We did this one a few trips ago. Another of our 18 year old's faves. OK - not a fave of mine. - 100% agreed. Too dark, movie clips hokie and food average and small portions.
50s Prime Time - We've eaten there twice and even though our waiter/waitress wasn't hamming it up, we were fine with it. We enjoyed watching others get picked on and the good home cooking.
Crystal Palace - We tried it once, and came out with the opposite impression most here on Intercot have - :down: Really not impressed at all.
LeCellier - Great meal - agreed!
Tokyo - I think this was a different name before (Teppenyaki)? Yes, we ate there then and have ressies for Teppan Edo (new name).
San Angel - Love the atmosphere here. - agreed, but bad service and food. :down:
Liberty Tree - Lunch was good. we have ressies for dinner next time to try.
Tony's - OK but not a standout for us. - 100% agreed
Mama Melrose's - Good food during our last trip.
Ohana's - We LOVED it and are going back next trip!
Whispering Canyon - Too noisy/crowded. Food good, but not worth it enough to go back.

Others we recommend:
Kona for dinner - a must, we LOVED their food
Rose & Crown - great dinner on the patio - the fish and chips and lamb are wonderful
Coral Reef - great food and atmosphere!
Cape May @ Beach Club - great dinner buffet!!
Wolfgang Puck Cafe in Downtown Disney - wonderful food there! Great atmosphere!!
Tusker House in AK - similar to Boma, but Boma has better atmopshere.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!!

sisterslovindisney
08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
We loved Jiko and Narcoosies (sorry about spelling).

LandFan
08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I second Jiko, Kona, Rose & Crown (if you are there in time to see the fireworks too!), and Coral Reef.

Suggestion:
Why don't you pick 4 you've never been to (each person pick a new place that appeals to you) that get consistently high marks?? Then it would be truly an adventure for all of you. :thumbsup: