PDA

View Full Version : Going to law school at 38?

Mr. Brass Bonanza
08-09-2009, 07:17 AM
I've always wanted to become a tax attorney because of my fascination with both the law and taxes. I'm 38 and wondering if this unrealistic considering two factors: I'm unemployed with no extra funds and I'm 38. If I was somehow able to pay for this, would I be able to do anything as an attorney right out of school at the ripe old age of 43?

carley
08-09-2009, 07:23 AM
i say go for it!!

a family friend went to med school at the age of 35 and love love loved it

your never to old to try anything or give it a whirl

besides 43 is still pretty darn young

Jeff
08-09-2009, 07:29 AM
In 5 years you will either be an attorny or you won't. However, in any event you will still be 43!

Baloo Da Man!
08-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I am a tax attorney. One of the things you might consider is that law school barely touches the surface of tax law. It takes the right school and concentrated effort to take enough tax courses to have any semblance of proficiency when you graduate with just a JD. I, and so many other tax lawyers like me, got another degree, a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in taxation, right after law school. More money, more time. When law firms look for a tax attorney, they want an LL.M. Your competition most likely will have that extra degree.

Tax law is hard, but interesting. It is a colossal, convoluted puzzle, for which the rules are constantly changing, and you have a 8,000,000 pound gorilla (IRS) chasing you all the time.

That being said, I know several attorneys who went to school late in life and are doing quite well.

sisterslovindisney
08-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I will be starting my third year of law school in about three weeks and I will be 46 in January. I definitely say GO FOR IT!! I'm not even the oldest one in my class. I didn't even start undergrad until I was 28, then I did a Masters and worked for about 6 more years before deciding that if I didn't do law school now I never would. Disney shouldn't be the only place where dreams come true ;)

MNNHFLTX
08-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I think you should go for it too. My dad started law school when he was 41 (years ago) with the idea of getting into corporate law. Unfortunately, there did seem to be a bias back then as far as companies hiring "older" lawyers, so he decided to focus on personal law, practicing it on the side and then full-time after he retired from his electrical engineering position. He may not have made the big bucks, but he found it very fulfilling.

The one drawback in your situation, of course, would be funding. I hate to think of you facing a mountain of loans when you get out of school. Hopefully you will find some viable options to help make your dream come true, if you decide to pursue it.

NotaGeek
08-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Go for it! It might be a challenge, but it won't be as challenging as sitting home looking for a job with no good prospects. :thumbsup:

Tinkerbella
08-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I say go for it! If you really feel this would be the profession that will keep you happy then don't hesitate. I know so many people at the hospital who hate what they do but stay on because of the money. Don't be one of them!

Anything worth having is definitely worth working hard for. As long as you're dedicated and have the drive I don't see why you wouldn't succeed :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-09-2009, 09:47 PM
A friend of mine was about 35 when she went back to school to become a lawyer so you aren't too old. She was lucky enough to have an uncle who paid for the whole thing though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Disneyatic
08-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Go For It!
Even if you start at 43, you'll have around 20 years to work before social security/retirement age!
Being unemployed can actually open up some school financing options in grants and such because of the reduced income levels. I've been unemployed about a year and have gotten some great financial aid help because of it!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

mouseneer
08-10-2009, 03:24 AM
:thumbsup: Good for you, Mr. Brass ! You're never to old to do what you love, as long as you do it. You love taxes though ? :confused:

Ian
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Huh ... you guys are all making me want to go to law school!

azdisneymom
08-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Follow your heart and go for it!

mickeys_princess_mom
08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
In 5 years you will either be an attorny or you won't. However, in any event you will still be 43!

I was thinking of my response and then read this one--it's pretty close. My uncle told me something along these lines. I was thinking of going back to college and contemplating being 35 when I graduated. He asked, "And so how old will you be in that year if you don't go back to school?"
Go for it! Best of luck!

crazypoohbear
08-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Go for it!
How many people have you met that have said
I regret going to school"
how many have you met who say
"I regret not going back to school"?
Easy answer huh?!
Best of luck to you and remember to pack a lunch :D

mrsgaribaldi
08-11-2009, 02:26 AM
i say go for it!!

a family friend went to med school at the age of 35 and love love loved it

your never to old to try anything or give it a whirl

besides 43 is still pretty darn young

Well said, I'm with them!! Go for it and good luck :mickey:

drummerboy
08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
I went at 31 and graduated at 34. Some of my classmates were in their late 40s and early 50s. Why does your law school take five years though? Most take three. Are you planning to go part-time, or are you contemplating the extra time to get an LLM as someone else mentioned?

When I first applied, I wondered about getting started so 'late' but this year marks a quarter-century of law practice for me.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm humbled by all of these positive responses. Let me ask a few more questions since there are so many of you in the know about this:

1. Where online is a good source that discusses the different types of law...maybe I might see something I would find more interesting than tax law?

2. Is it feasible to go part time? The UConn Law School is five miles from my house, but of course I would have to be accepted.

2a. Is there a program to get a law degree online? Is there a disadvantage to that one I get a degree?

3. Since I am unemployed, how do I find out what grants are available to me? That would be tremendous.

THANK YOU!!!

crazypoohbear
08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I can't tell you anything about the lawyer stuff but to the aid/scholarships stuff....
go to FAFSA the free federal financial aid website.
make sure it is a .org because there are others that are ripoffs. Everyone appying for federal financial aid has to fill this out every year.
call the local Unemployment office/center. I know the one here in Mass. told me that depending on which industry that you were laid off from there are grants and scholarships that you can tap into.
Go to the unemployment center if you can and ask for help, they have a wealth of information there, not at all like the old days where you just went to stand in line an pick up your check every two weeks!
Even if you are not collecting unemployment they can and will still help.
Contact the school you are thinking of attending. Ask to speak with a finacial services representative. They should be able to guide you as well.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Ian
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm humbled by all of these positive responses. Let me ask a few more questions since there are so many of you in the know about this:

1. Where online is a good source that discusses the different types of law...maybe I might see something I would find more interesting than tax law?

2. Is it feasible to go part time? The UConn Law School is five miles from my house, but of course I would have to be accepted.

2a. Is there a program to get a law degree online? Is there a disadvantage to that one I get a degree?My cousin is an attorney, so I know a little bit about some of this stuff ...

Most law schools, at least as far as I'm aware, require that you graduate within five years of your start date so part time can be fairly tough. That being said, I'm pretty sure you can go night and weekends or something so you can still work while you're going to school.

A quick Google search returned plenty of results for online law degrees, so I assume that's also an option. As far as how online degrees are perceived, that's a tough call. In know in technology fields online degrees actually carry some cache. But in law? Can't really say ... I'd have to guess, though, that they wouldn't be viewed favorably. The "tier" of law school you went to is a very big deal in most legal circles.

drummerboy
08-13-2009, 05:05 PM

2a. Is there a program to get a law degree online? Is there a disadvantage to that one I get a degree?

3. Since I am unemployed, how do I find out what grants are available to me? That would be tremendous.

THANK YOU!!!

CrazyPoohBear gave a great answer to the financing question. I went through College Foundation (and was still paying them when my own DDs went to college :jaw:).

I'm not sure whether most lawyers who went through the rigors of in-class law school would look favorably on an on-line degree. For one, I'm not sure how many of the on-line schools are certified and can prepare you for the court room and the bar exam. There's nothing like having to stand up and be grilled by a law prof. to prepare you for the grilling you'd get from a judge.

When I was in law school, NC didn't offer any part-time programs that I know of but I think there are quite a few schools that offer part-time programs now, even in NC (I think the newer law school in Charlotte does that).

You can get a lot of answers here (http://www.abanet.org/) , especially under the 'legal education' tab.

Disney Doll
08-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about online education. I work for a major research university in an online program. Online does not necessarily mean less rigorous. In fact many of my students will tell you it's more difficult because we make up for the lack if face time with extra assignments.

Distance education is growing and it is possible to get a good education online. However, there are lots and lots of questionable online degrees so you really have to be savvy. Checking for regional accreditation is a start, but even that only goes so far. The ever popular University of Phoenix is accredited, but it's not exactly held in high regard among members of academe. Honestly online education is still relatively new and I doubt you find many, if any online law programs that are worth your time and effort. Law is not my area so I may be wrong, but be careful when you go looking.

drummerboy
08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about online education. I work for a major research university in an online program. Online does not necessarily mean less rigorous. In fact many of my students will tell you it's more difficult because we make up for the lack if face time with extra assignments.
My comments were directed toward the question of an online law degree, not online degrees in general. And we certainly agree about thoroughly checking out any online degree program. :thumbsup:

Mufasa
08-14-2009, 07:46 PM
The problem with online law schools is that they are all unaccredited by the American Bar Association so outside of California, no state would allow you to sit for their bar exam.

sisterslovindisney
08-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I would steer clear of online law schools. I don't think there are any that are ABA accredited. (I could be wrong though). You can go part time at some schools and that takes 4 years. It's still pretty rigorous. You don't have to decide on an "area" of law you want to practice yet. Every 1st year student has to take the same set of classes (there all bar related - contracts, civil procedure, criminal law, legal writing, torts, and property). There will be other courses that are required and still others that you will definitely need to take if you want to pass the bar.