PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't the ceiling tiles covere in IASW?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
08-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Disney Imagineering prides itself on attention to detail and immersing guests in the story of each attraction.

The imagineers take this attention to detail to the level of decorating the ceiling of many attractions, for example - POTC, Splash Mtn, and the Mexico pavilion/3 Caballeros.

Why then, is the ceiling of IASW just plain tile? How hard would it be to decorate the ceiling of IASW and complete the immersion into the small world?

disneyboundagain
08-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Considering the age group the attraction is geared towards, I doubt they even know what a ceiling is! Last year, DS2 thought it was the best thing in the world. Bewteen the past 2 trips, we were lucky enough to experience it no less than 12 times. :D:D

Seasonscraps
08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I never noticed the ceiling in IASW but could it be that part of the attraction is suspended from the ceiling and anything decorative on the ceiling would be distracting?

doombuggygal
08-09-2009, 12:07 AM
I've noticed this too and always thought it odd for Disney.

Imagineer1981
08-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I remember when the ceiling wasn't black, and there were tiles missing at times and some had water stains...the refurb helped that , but the drop ceiling is still sad

Quixote
08-09-2009, 01:08 AM
The ride was originally designed to be the main attraction at the UNICEF pavillion at the 1964 worlds fair in flushing meadows corona park. I dont think the imagineers designed the pavillion, and when they brought it back to the park they were probably just trying to recreate the ride that was so loved at the expo

NotaGeek
08-09-2009, 03:39 AM
The ride was originally designed to be the main attraction at the UNICEF pavillion at the 1964 worlds fair in flushing meadows corona park. I dont think the imagineers designed the pavillion, and when they brought it back to the park they were probably just trying to recreate the ride that was so loved at the expo
Actually, I believe that exact original ride is now at Disneyland ... and they have ceiling tiles there too. Since the ride went down for almost all of 2008 the refurb made the ceiling much better, but ceiling tiles remain.

BPATSMouse
08-09-2009, 04:37 AM
I have to agree with seasonscraps on not noticing the ceiling. We ride more for the air conditioning and the music, gotta have that song in your head :party:

iheartdisney
08-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Why then, is the ceiling of IASW just plain tile? How hard would it be to decorate the ceiling of IASW and complete the immersion into the small world?

I have thought the EXACT same thing and couldn't believe that after refurbishing the tiles were still there! It just seems unfinished to me.

bretski99
08-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I've never noticed the tiles - I guess I'm like all the 5 year olds and am too busy singing the song or something. But I will be there next week, and now I'll be staring at the tiles. Gee, thanks guys!!

TheRustyScupper
08-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Maintenance cut-backs.

iluvdumbo
08-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I actually never noticed this before...I guess that I was distracted with the catchy song and the cute dolls!

:dumbo::minnie::mickey3::tigger:

Mousemates
08-09-2009, 04:18 PM
yea...we've noticed the ceiling in the past as well, it's just one of those things where it seems like imagineering was told no (likely due to cost concerns...i.e. most folks don't notice the ceiling, so why put more money in it)

iheartdisney
08-10-2009, 09:19 AM
.i.e. most folks don't notice the ceiling, so why put more money in it)

maybe the Imagineers will see this thread!

Imagineer1981
08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Actually, if you think about it, there are quite a few animatronics that hang from the ceiling in different areas of the attraction and I am sure they need quick access to them incase of repairs, so a drop ceiling works the best.

iheartdisney
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Actually, if you think about it, there are quite a few animatronics that hang from the ceiling in different areas of the attraction and I am sure they need quick access to them incase of repairs, so a drop ceiling works the best.

But there has GOT to be a better way, no?

Operator
08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Just back from Disney World and what got me was not the ceiling, but it feels like your riding through a wharehouse. There's a part that really opens up and you can see that back wall off in the distance. I don't remember the ride at Disneyland being that way, I will have to check next time I go :mickey:.

KAJUNKING
08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
I've never noticed the tiles - I guess I'm like all the 5 year olds and am too busy singing the song or something. But I will be there next week, and now I'll be staring at the tiles. Gee, thanks guys!!

funny but true I'm sure when i go next month ill watch the ceiling tiles

luvmyboys4ever
08-10-2009, 07:35 PM
We thought the same thing! Couldn't they use some sheer fabric that looks like the sky(day or night)...or something like that? Maybe with some twinkle lights behind the draped fabric? I would love to get my hands on that project...lol!

kbean
08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that looks past the ride itself for details.

Boost
08-11-2009, 09:58 PM
never noticed...

DreamFinder2
08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
The only times I really notice this is when my head flops backward as I fall asleep...

:sleepin:

iheartdisney
08-11-2009, 10:53 PM
The only times I really notice this is when my head flops backward as I fall asleep...

:sleepin:

And really, he wasn't snoring. He was just humming along!

dizknee531
08-11-2009, 11:50 PM
The ceiling IS awful!! Even after the refurb. I guess with the cute dolls, they think the guests will never notice, but I do!! AWFUL!!:ack::ack::ack::ack:

Imagineer1981
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
But there has GOT to be a better way, no?

Oh absolutely there has to be a better way..just making a statement! :)

Darin M
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I also noticed the tiles on my last trip. It's very eye opening. Once you notice it, some of the magic of the ride escapes. Thank God for the song being repeated a billion times though. That usually get's you right back into it. Great. Now it's stuck in my head.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
08-12-2009, 01:10 PM
It's just that the imagineers do so much to take care of the little details, I don't see how what somebody earlier described as a warehouse feel with the bare ceiling tiles escaped.

For example, the guy who wrote the Kingdom Keepers books was allowed to go on some backstage tours, and some things he commented on that the imagineers do is just amazing. For example, on POTC, Captain Barbosa has details like authentic hair, rings on his fingers, and shoes that the typical guest will never even see. But, Disney goes to those extremes to preserve the show.

It just seems like they could do like somebody suggested, even with some type of cloth to simulate clouds in the day, stars at night, or other things, to complete this attraction.

Gooftroop5
08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Of course now that you mention it.... I is just plain up there.

Thank goodness I read this today & not 2 weeks ago. We just got back & all I would do is stare at the ceiling tiles.:blush:

I didn't pay attention to the ceiling, I was too busy picking on DH for our 2 dses liking no I mean LOVING this ride. :funny: He rides it because I like it but he truelly believes it :thedolls:

magicofdisney
08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Maintenance cut-backs.
I have to agree with this assessment.

It's much easier to swing from tile to tile (for repairs) using the existing tightropes and swings, if nothing is impeding the workers' movements.