PDA

View Full Version : A question for the women...

Disneymom4ever
08-08-2009, 03:31 PM
I just made the decision to have a hysterectomy, and it is scheduled for this month (8-24). To say I'm nervous is an understatement!! Could any of you that have gone through this tell me, am I going to be crying in pain for days? (This is my mind wandering). I had a friend tell me it was the best thing she's done, and would do it again in a heartbeat, and my sister say if I have a choice, absolutely don't do it, it's awful in terms of pain! (No stitches are required, by the way). Honestly, hospitals scare me, and I have to stay overnight! I was just hoping to hear opinions from others that have gone through this. Thanks again, I don't think even Mickey thoughts can calm me right now, lol!

nicster
08-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Let me start by saying that I have not had this done. I can, however, recall specifically two friends who did & both have said it was the best decision they ever made....& I am sure they are right, for their own particular circumstances. I don't think they would say that if it was horrible pain, they do have drugs for that.... I wish you the best.

VWL Mom
08-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Since you say no stitches I'm assuming laparoscopic? I had mine 2 years ago and I didn't have a choice. It was uncomfortable but no where near the pain of C-Section. I was back to full gear in 1 week mostly because that was my mindset. Wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks which was the biggest pain. Feel free to send a PM if you have any questions. Good luck

sassafras
08-08-2009, 06:22 PM
My boss had this done a year ago. Was supposed to be off for a month, was back to work in a week and a half. Told me it was no big deal, much better than the pain she'd been dealing with for the past year! She laid around the house while she was off, but said she was about to go nuts from boredom by the second week. Hope this helps!

Disneymom4ever
08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Thank you all SO much!! It doesn't sound too horrific, I just need to think of the final outcome, and how much better it will be. I understand about the driving, my doctor said at least 10 days. And my boys start school the next day! (I know, bad timing, but it's got to get done sometime!) I think I can handle the laying around part, it just means more time on Intercot :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-08-2009, 10:51 PM
You'll be fine. Had it done two years ago, and it was definitely necessary. Took me a good little while to recupe, cause there was a little complication, nothing you're likely to encounter.
Takes awhile to get your energy back. The resting was hard for me to do, though! I felt like I should have been accomplishing something, and was stressing about the boredom one day when my aunt said, "You don't know how to rest, do you?!" I had to confess she was right!
If I may suggest something, the same aunt had given me this back/neck herbal wrap thing that you put in the microwave to warm....Wonderful against your tummy as you're recovering! Try one--I know I've seen similar things at Walgreens; mine came from a little stand at a mall. Take it easy, and let your family pamper you a little! Let us know if we can help with anything. PM me if you want to!
:wave:

Disneymom4ever
08-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks Mickeys Princess Mom, I plan on stocking up on movies, and have a few books around. Kids will be at school, hubby at work, so should be quiet for the most part. I know what your talking about, the wrap- I had one that I think had rice? in it, and could heat up. Not sure where it is, but I do have a heating pad as well. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate that! :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-08-2009, 11:11 PM
You're very welcome. I would recommend looking for the wrap, cause the slight weight of it sort of conforms and hugs, which feels good. I learned many little things (like ringing phones) will be just fine when ignored. ;) One thing I did as soon as I found out the surgery was a possibility was to shop for a few little cute PJ outfits with comfy waists...These were definitely "pick-me-ups" later on, and I was glad I had done this already when things progressed to a sooner date than anticipated. Also asked my DS to bring my computer downstairs temporarily so I could keep up with my Intercot fix! :blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-09-2009, 09:51 PM
One of my co-workers just went through this and she's in her late 50's. She was out of work about 6 weeks but was up walking around after 2 days. She just got tired easily. And as someone said, no driving for about 2 weeks.

TheDuckRocks
08-10-2009, 07:17 AM
After 15 years of changing doctors every time one of them would suggest I needed a hysterectomy I no longer had a choice. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was not doing it 15 years sooner. The pain recovering from the surgery, I had an incision, was minor to what I'd spent 15 years living through and the relief was instant. 8 weeks later I was at Disneyland and Sea World with my family for Christmas for a week and didn't use a wheelchair or an ECV. For an easier quicker recovery - WALK! And walk, walk , walk some more. Lisa, you will be in my thoghts and prayers.

DisneyLandMomma
08-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Good luck with the surgery. I had one last year Aug. 1st. because I had endometrial cancer. I had an abdominal cut and it really wasn't that bad. I was offered morphine in the hospital but I didn't care for the way it made me feel and ended up just taking motrin. I was in the hospital 3 days and I think that was the worst part for me. I couldn't get comfy in the bed, they are always coming in a poking you in the middle of the night. So 1 day you should be fine. I couldn't drive for a couple weeks and was out of work for 6 but I think I could of went back even before then.

I know what you mean about bad timing with school starting. I had surgery just a few days before my daughter started 5th grade. I had to get my sister to drive her(and me :D) that first day, she even walked her to class while I sat in the car bawling like a baby(I was an emotional wreck...haha).

I think alot of recovery has to do with your attitude as well, if you think you'll be ok...you will. :)