PDA

View Full Version : Buying groceries at WDW

donald-doc
08-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi all,

We were just reviewing the shopping lists online (to have food delivered to our room upon check-in)...

The prices on that list were prohibitive! (and there is a $5 delivery fee too).

From the list, the cost for
a half gallon of milk is $2.95
14oz Frosted Flakes is $7.75
2 Liter bottle Coke is $3.50

What are the costs in the mercantiles at BLT or VWL etc?

Is there a significant difference?

I am not surprised to see a mark-up, but wow!

Thanks,

DisneyWFan
08-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Try the Garden Grocer their prices I thought were more reasonable then what you are showing. Those prices seem steep.

Garden Grocer Prices

2 liter Coke $1.89

14 oz Frosted Flakes $4.19

1/2 gallon 1% store brand milk 2.99

But delivery is $12

SO I guess it depends on how much you are ordering if it is worthwhile

donald-doc
08-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Where is the Garden Grocer?

Is that in one of the DVC resorts?

When we arrive at BLT next week, we will not have a car. Therefore we would rather pre-order the over-priced stuff or just buy it there.

:blush:

Seasonscraps
08-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Garden Grocer is a grocery delivery service - you place the order from home and schedule delivery for your arrival date.

The prices for groceries at Disney will be the same at each resort. It's the price of convenience - not renting a car, taking a taxi to the store, etc. You can bypass the delivery fee by going to the store at the resort yourself instead of pre-ordering.

Some people ship groceries ahead of time to save some money or have brand specific items with them on vacation.

magicofdisney
08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Here's a tip. In the resort gift shops there is a cooler section with different drink options. A half a gallon of milk is less than $3. Get your milk from there. :mickey:

seanyred
08-08-2009, 12:20 PM
We usually pack a suitcase with no perishables for the trip down...that way we don't have to spend as much at the resort. Then that suitcase becomes a souvenir suitcase for the trip home.

But now airlines charge you extra....everyone has an extra fee now a days...so it might be a wash...

MinnieMommie
08-09-2009, 06:25 AM
There are a few stores which will deliver to your resort and that is a good service. If you ship food there will be a shipping fee which can be costly. Sounds like you will be in a unit at BLT with a kitchen so that also means you will have a washer and dryer for your clothes. If you pack some food items such as non perishables which you know you can get for much less at home it will be cost saving to pack them. Just remember that you can pack much less clothes because you will have the washer and dryer. I find this comes in very handy. Packing less clothes makes room in the suitcase for food items. :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
We have used WeGoShop several times and have found that the $$ saved by paying regular store prices more than makes up for the delivery fee. :thumbsup:

Jeffybob
08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Buying supplies at WDW is costly.

You did not indicate whether you are flying or driving. Driving, obviously, gives you greater flexibity however bringing supplies with you when flying can be OK too with the right planning.

Use ziploc bags for transporting all of your items. You can bring packaged food items i.e.: Rice-a-Roni type items for example, in ziplocs and cut out and place whatever directions you need to prepare the item in the baggie.

Using the ziploc allows you to roll and store without the box to deal with. You can put these sort of items in quart size bags individually and consolidate them into gallon size bags so you have them together.

Also, bring powdered (flavored) creamers if that is your thing as well as your own coffee, filters, tea, equal, etc. Think like you are going camping.

Be sure to include spices you like to cook with as well.

For breaksfast, you can do the same thing with cereals, poptarts, cookies, goldfish snacks (you get the idea)... anything dry will transport well and is fairly light.

The stores on property do not have a large selection ... mostly general, baseline items so there is not much of a choice.

Bring your staples and then you can spend the money on your dairy and liquids.

Additionally, assuming that your unit will have a washer and dryer, be sure to bring your own laundry soap, tabs are good as well as dryer sheets. This way you can bring less clothes, doing laundry at night and at the end of your trip have less dirty clothes to bring home.

And one last thing, go to Walmart and buy rain ponchos. They are located in the hunting and fishing section. They cost less than a buck and are small and easy to transport. I always have a supply with me when I travel to WDW. It always seems to rain between 5-7 PM so if you are caught in a downpour, you can whip out your poncho and you are good to go.

Hope this helps.

tlhewitt52
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
If you are driving or have a car there is a Walmart about 10 minutes off WDW property. It's a super walmart so they have everything including groceries, also beer wine etc, at the regular reasonable walmart prices. If you have a car I would say take a ride there and get what you need!

Disney Doll
08-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I also recommend Garden Grocer. They do charge $12 for delivery and I think there is a $40 minimum, but their prices are more competitive and the selection is much better.

eandrsmom
09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
We used Garden Grocer on our last trip and will use them again. I scheduled our groceries to be delivered at the latest delivery time. The bellman held everything for us, until we checked in. (Our flight arrived in Orlando at 9:00pm.) When we checked in, they brought our luggage and groceries to our room. I was able to unpack everything that night. We had food for breakfast the next morning, and were able to get to the park early that morning without having to grocery shop. We will definately use them again.