PDA

View Full Version : Best way to tour Animal Kingdom?

Gregandmel
08-07-2009, 04:01 PM
We plan on being in WDW late April/early May next Spring and wondered what's the best way to tour AK? We were there last October and it's so spread out!!

Is it better to get there first thing in the a.m., or go around 2pm when the crowds start to leave? The time frame we plan on being there looks like they close most evenings at 5pm.

I would LOVE it if they plan on having the FP machine close to the main area (didn't I read something about there being a trial run on the FP machine since everything is so spread out?? and this would allow you to get a FP right there, instead of walking so far)

Any tips or tricks or insight would be great! Thanks!!!! :mickey:

TheVBs
08-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Do you just have one day to do AK?

Gregandmel
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Yep - just one day!

sisterslovindisney
08-07-2009, 05:10 PM
We don't have a definite plan but we usually head to the safari first then work our way back ending with Kali River Rapids which usually ends in me being so wet I can barely get on the bus :blush:

Maleficent_vf
08-07-2009, 06:52 PM
If the park closes at 5pm, getting there at 2pm won't give you time to do much. I do agree that it can be tricky to navigate - seems like we always spend a good portion of our day walking from one side of the park to the other, even with a lot of planning. I would say you need to be there when the gates open and head for the safari before the lines get long and the animals disappear - we had our best safari this past March when we were on the ride by 9:15. After that, it's a matter of planning. If you could get your hands on the schedule of shows, etc. before you enter the park, you can make a tentative plan of attack. FotLK and Nemo both have specific performance times that you might want to work around. Getting a chance to see DiVine is worth a little extra walking IMHO.

We had our best AK experience on our last trip and I think it was partly due to the fact that we just gave in and accepted the fact that you can't do AK quickly...it's too big and there really is a lot to see if you just slow down and look around. Many people dismiss it, but we really enjoyed walking around the Tree of Life looking at all the animals (real and carved).

JPL
08-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm a big fan of Animal kingdom and it's definately a park that is often rushed through by many visitors. The best way to experience AK IMHO is to slow down and enjoy the park and it's amazing theming and little details. I usually head over to Everest first thing in the morning and grab a FP. Then I walk back over to Africa and take a walk along the Pangani Forest Trail before it's too crowded and when the animals are most active on the trail. Most of the time when I am finished walking the trail I am able to get a FP or get in line for the Safari. After the Safari I make way back over towards Everest and stop at the Maharajah Jungle Trek along the way. I use my FP for Everest and head over to Dinoland and try to catch a showing of Nemo or Ride Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl. After Dinoland I make my way to ITTBAB and then explore the Tree of Life animal exhibits before heading over to Festival of the Lion King. Depending on the time I might head back and do the Pangani Trail again and grab some lunch. After lunch I usually go back and do some of my favorites or grab another FP for something and try to catch Flight of Wonder before the Parade. That's usually a pretty full day and remember each time you walk along one of the trail or ride the safari it's a different animal experience. It's still not an actual full day park but you can spend quite a bit of time exploring and taking your time.

Darbylew
08-07-2009, 09:18 PM
We enjoy AK. It is spread out and it makes it
hard to get a FP for the rides. That would be
great to have a FP place at the front. It sure
would save a lot of time and give you more
time to do everything. It seems that you have
to go in one direction for a FP for Everest and
then all the way to the back for the FP for the
Safaris. If you stay on property then check to
see if there are extra magic hours for AK while
you are there. :D

disneykid@hrt
08-08-2009, 07:44 AM
I ran into an ex-AK castmember at Barnes & Noble the other night and she told me that the best time for the Trails and Safari is in the early morning. The animals are much more active. Running to get a FP for EE first thing might be a good idea though. Make an early reservation for the Breakfast there if you're not staying on-site.

jenny1976
08-08-2009, 09:04 AM
We start witht the safari and work our way back to Kali as well. Also, go EARLY in the am. Try to be on the FIRST safari, Animals are more prone to be out because it is not so hot yet. It only takes one day, but you must take your time...ENJOY!!!!!!!!!:mickey: