PDA

View Full Version : Hoop-Dee-Doo worthwhile?

Disneysurprise
08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm planning a surprise trip :secret: to WDW (our first ever!) for DS's 9th Bday -- will be myself, husband and 2 boys, 9 and 4. Can anyone tell me if Hoop-Dee-Doo is worth the 2 meal credits? Or would I be better off doing something like Mickey's Backyard BBQ?

Any other meal suggestions would be welcome too!! :mickey:

nyobabe2
08-07-2009, 03:32 PM
We had a fantastic time at the Hoop Dee Doo, I definetly would not miss it! My girls were 5 and 7 and I worried about it being fun for them but that was not an issue! We went back again last October with my niece and nephew and they all loved it. I heard the Backyard BBQ was not worth it, my friend just got back from there with her 7 yr old.

epcot linnie
08-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Loved both, although the backyard bbq can be VERY hot on a warm night. Under a pavillion, but not much air flow. Food was plenty and great, although you wait on line to serve yourself, could be tough with small children

TheVBs
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
We've only been to the Backyard BBQ, and we had a blast! The food was good, the entertainment was great, and the girls loved dancing with the characters.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
We love HDD. We've used the DDP credits, and we've paid OOP and both times it was worth it:thumbsup:

The show is funny, very entertaining and the food is good. DD (now 11) would go twice a trip if we let her.

I haven't been to the BBQ, but know that you won't be disappointed with HDD :mickey:

scootch713
08-07-2009, 04:25 PM
My girls 9 and 6 absolutely loved Hoop Dee Doo this past year. It was our first time. I think it was the highlight of the trip for them. We have never done the BBQ.

boobalk
08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Been 8 Times dont miss it:) We end our trip with the show:thumbsup::number1:

disney100%
08-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Been 8 Times dont miss it:) We end our trip with the show:thumbsup::number1:

Same here! Hoop Dee Doo is a must do for our family and we always spend out last night there. Then, we take the boat back to Magic Kingdom and if we are up to it, see the fireworks one more time. My parents took me for the first time when was in high school. Now as a mom of three and more then 2 decades away from seeing Hoop Dee Doo for the first time, I still love it! Of course, my brother was chosen for the show one year, which certainly makes are memories of it even more meaningful! ;)

lyle21
08-08-2009, 01:44 PM
hoop dee doo is one of my favorite things to do. very fun.

KAT1811
08-08-2009, 02:09 PM
For starters we LOVE the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review!!! So much fun and for a first trip a great tase of dining Disney style!!! Fabulous show.

As for the BBQ, it too is 2 TS credits. It really isn't something we are up to trying. I have heard some good things but mostly I have heard that it is open air so, bugs, no assigned seating so, people are all for one, and when we were thinking about going it was weather permitting. Nothing like getting all excited for a great dinner just to have it rain and be out a special dinner.

HDDR is the way to go IMHO!!! So much Disney fun!!!

d_m_n_n
08-08-2009, 02:17 PM
For starters we LOVE the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review!!! So much fun and for a first trip a great tase of dining Disney style!!! Fabulous show.

As for the BBQ, it too is 2 TS credits. It really isn't something we are up to trying. I have heard some good things but mostly I have heard that it is open air so, bugs, no assigned seating so, people are all for one, and when we were thinking about going it was weather permitting. Nothing like getting all excited for a great dinner just to have it rain and be out a special dinner.

:ditto:

BPATSMouse
08-09-2009, 04:55 AM
bugs, no assigned seating so, people are all for one, and when we were thinking about going it was weather permitting. Nothing like getting all excited for a great dinner just to have it rain and be out a special dinner.

Florida weather, rain and heat, can change hourly :mad:

:ditto:

TheRustyScupper
08-09-2009, 06:57 AM
1) You will enjoy HDDR.
2) But, I would rather pay OOP and get Category-1 seats.
3) As for Mickey BBQ, it is the biggest monetary rip-off of the DDP system. *
. . . two DDP coupons
. . . approx coupons value of $65/adult
. . . retail price for BBQ is $45/adult
. . . you lose approx $20 of value per adult

disney100%
08-09-2009, 07:32 AM
1) You will enjoy HDDR.
2) But, I would rather pay OOP and get Category-1 seats.
3) As for Mickey BBQ, it is the biggest monetary rip-off of the DDP system. *
. . . two DDP coupons
. . . approx coupons value of $65/adult
. . . retail price for BBQ is $45/adult
. . . you lose approx $20 of value per adult

I would agree with paying for the category 1 seats. We have sat right next to the stage at least twice and it was well worth the extra money (over the other categories).

mousetrapper
08-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Is the category 1 ticket option something new? I don't think that was an option when we went to HDDR in the past.

We've never done the BBQ but loved HDDR the times we did it. We're not country music fans so I was worried my DDs (8 & 5 the first time) and DH wouldn't like it, but it was so much fun! A rollicking good time - silly, corny, old-fashioned humor, and the downhome cooking is very satisfying.

Having said that, I'm not sure we would do it again though, now that the DDs are 18 & 15. We've done it a few times and we're glad we did, but probably won't return -- unless we're with a bigger group of people and want to introduce others to it.

IfUHadWings
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
When we went to the BBQ, it was like Wal-Mart 3 days before Christmas. The included 'adult beverages' were suprising. The event itself was very congested. I've always wanted to enjoy the HDDR. There probably is not a wrong choice. :mickey:

Mad About Mickey
08-09-2009, 05:09 PM
We went to the HDDR last December and loved it. DS 5 spent the whole time enthralled by the show, clapping to all the music and older kids DS 16, DD 12 enjoyed it as well. We would do it again and I would definitely recomend it over the BYBBQ. If you go hope you have a great time :mickey:.

Disneypixie513
08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
HDD for sure! :thumbsup:
I've been twice, and it was amazing both times. The show is hilarious, and the food is soo yummy. Especially the cornbread. :cloud9:
It's probably my favorite place to eat in WDW.

BMan62
08-10-2009, 11:02 AM
We've done all three of the dinner 'shows' and will only go back to HDDR! As a matter of fact, we're headed back there in September!

BluewaterBrad
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I think it is. We really enjoyed the whole experience.:mickey:

disney100%
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
HDD for sure! :thumbsup:
I've been twice, and it was amazing both times. The show is hilarious, and the food is soo yummy. Especially the cornbread. :cloud9:
It's probably my favorite place to eat in WDW.

Yes, the cornbread is absolutely delicious! My daughter was 10 months at the time and I think she could have eaten the entire serving of cornbread herself! Of course, since she still didn't have any teeth, it was the only thing she could "chew." :mickey:

CU Tiger
08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
We have only missed going to HDDR two times in the past six trips we have made to DW. We feel this is the best bang for the buck:number1:. A fun show the kids enjoy, all you can eat (great chicken!:thumbsup:), and all you can drink adult beverages:marg::beer:. What’s not to love!:mickey:

Hull-onian
08-13-2009, 06:12 PM
We all had a great time. It was so much fun, I'd do it again. The Hoop Dee Doo for us.:thumbsup: