PDA

View Full Version : POR - Any tips?

lucymouse4
08-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Me and my new husband are headed for POR in just...77 hours and 41minutes! I've never stayed there before, but I was wondering if those who had could give us some tips about the resort - what you liked, what to steer clear of, getting to and from the parks, how you liked the pools or restaurants... anything!

Thanks in advance!!! :mickey:

elmjimmlm
08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
We always stay at AB and we love the quiet pool behind building 18...The other big pool is great but the quiet pool is rarely busy...The laundry is also at the quiet pool...We love the food court...They have a lot to choose from and it always great...The busses are not bad...We rarely have to wait for the bus and we usually get a seat...The boat ride to DTD is sooooo relaxing...We don't usually do the extras there because we have 3 kids that don't want to be anywhere but in the parks but I have read many good things about the carriage ride...I know you will love it...Have a good time...:)

stitchcousin
08-07-2009, 12:24 PM
We LOVE POR and POFQ both. Make sure you take the boat to DTD at least once. It is really cool!!! There are numerous "quiet" pools throughout the resort if the main pool is too crowded and noisy. Take time to stroll around. It is quite lovely. The last time we stayed there, we had breakfast at Boatwrights, but they since stopped the breakfast. Never had dinner, but the breakfast was very good, so I would expect the dinner to be too!!! At the pub in the main building, there is piano playing etc. and it is quite fun in the evenings:mickey:!!! Have a ball!!! I know you won't be disappointed!!!

Tinkerbella16
08-07-2009, 12:28 PM
We stayed there in 2007 and I really loved this resort.

It is kinda big, but the grounds are beautiful. We were in Alligator Bayou section. Our building was #24 and it was pretty far from everything but we had the West Depot bus stop right outside our room which was convenient for the mornings and late evenings. The pool is really nice and there are quiet pools throughout the resort. The foodcourt was great, it gets a little crowded during the morning rush but in the evening it was almost empty.

There are 4 different bus stops around POR and sometimes they share with POFQ. Luckily we never shared with FQ and when I stayed at FQ last year we never shared with POR. The rooms were nice, roomy, and clean...never had a problem with the mousekeepers, they did a wonderful job each day. My favorite thing about POR & FQ is the boat to DTD. Such a nice ride, about 15-20mins, and its nice to get away from the busses for a while. We love DTD especially at night so we used the boat quite a few times. I really love the theming of the resort...its quiet and peaceful.

Piano Man Bob is a real hit there! Hes in the lounge in the evenings, hes so funny and energetic...it was so nice to relax one night, grab a drink from the bar and watch him. The kids love it too!

Ruprect
08-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Just went in January.

I'll second what everyone has said so far and add that the Louisana Microbrew they had on tap (Abita) was great.

disney100%
08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
So this recaps a lot of what has already been said, but here are some favorites:

1. River Roost: My DH and I really enjoy some of their signature drinks (such as Miss Melodie's Colada) and the Piano Man. He is so fun and entertaining and definitely worth a visit.

2. We really like the food court there over any of the other moderates.

3. I think the gift shop is better than the ones at the other moderates too.

4. The boat to Downtown Disney is such a nice break from the buses. It is relaxing and quite.

5. Personally, I prefer the mansions over the bayous (though I do like both). But that may be more of a sentimental thing because we stayed in Magnolia Terrace on our first trip to Disney that included just the 2 of us.

Have fun!

KatrinaJ91
08-07-2009, 07:08 PM
So this recaps a lot of what has already been said, but here are some favorites:

1. River Roost: My DH and I really enjoy some of their signature drinks (such as Miss Melodie's Colada) and the Piano Man. He is so fun and entertaining and definitely worth a visit.

2. We really like the food court there over any of the other moderates.

3. I think the gift shop is better than the ones at the other moderates too.

4. The boat to Downtown Disney is such a nice break from the buses. It is relaxing and quite.

5. Personally, I prefer the mansions over the bayous (though I do like both). But that may be more of a sentimental thing because we stayed in Magnolia Terrace on our first trip to Disney that included just the 2 of us.

Have fun!

This sums things up nicely, except....we stayed in Aliigator Bayou and LOVED it. It felt more "resort-like" because of the wonderful landscaping. The buildings are all under trees and the paths are winding. Very relaxing! Also, it seems to be closer to the main bldg than the Mansions. If you can, ask to be put in AB Bldgs 14 - 18 and you will be in great position on the property!! That is exactly what we plan on doing for our next trip!

poohbearkris
08-08-2009, 11:50 AM
We will be staying at POR for the first time next month and can't wait to try it. THanks for all the tips.

redleg96
08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
We stayed in AB in July 2008. We were in Bldg 24, and it was really quiet. We looked out onto the quiet pool and the laundry was right there. We also enjoyed the boat ride to Downtown Disney. We did dine at Boatwrights and the food was average and slightly pricey. The food court was pretty good. We took several boat trips to Downtown to eat at Wolfgang Puck Express...this is the best quick service food on all of Disney. You would not believe the quality food you get for the price. We will definitely go there again in Dec. One tip the front desk gave us was that you can use the pool at the French Quarter and it's usually very quiet. They said to just take the boat to the FQ. Have a wonderful trip!:mickey:

Mousemates
08-08-2009, 11:47 PM
thanks for all the info...we are heading down to POR for the first time for new years this year.

IfUHadWings
08-09-2009, 12:27 PM
We are debating on POR, PFQ and WL. This thread is pushing me closer to POR. Post a report when you get back. Hope it's great!:mickey:

#1donaldfan
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
....the more you guys say, the more the word is getting out how GRAND and WONDERFUL POR is ..... we need to keep this place more of a secret...RIGHT ??? so, the place is awful, dreadful, boring, dark, damp, uninspiring.....:thedolls: