PDA

View Full Version : Resort Help - What would you do?

szyper
08-06-2009, 07:24 PM
We are booked at POFQ in October, but I am having doubts. My family wants us to stay with them at an OKW 2-Bedroom for 4 of our 6 nights. It would be $225 more overall (sister has DVC) and we would probably stay first two nights at ASM. If we don't do that, I am thinking about switching to CBR. I never thought I would care for it (not a beach person), but the theme is appealing to me more now that I have little kids. The pool looks really neat for them.

We picked POFQ to be closer to family at OKW. Does proximity matter much? Should we do ASM/OKW, CBR, or stick with POFQ? We really liked POR last time (POP was a little chaotic). I thought I'd definitely want POFQ this time, but now not so sure. Ahhh!

Jillirose
08-06-2009, 07:30 PM
My husband was researching online last night and you can now get the Pirate themed room at CB... just a thought.

RockinRobin
08-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Stick with POFQ! It is our favorite we stay there every time we go to WDW. It is smaller and the theme is great, if you have children they will like the slide at the pool, has a great food court also. We have stayed at all of the mods and POFQ is the best.

KatrinaJ91
08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Stick with PO....it is a beautiful resort!

garymacd
08-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Another vote to stay with your original plan.
POFQ is beautiful and so compact, it doesn't take long to get anywhere.

Being close is not much of a benefit unless you intend to use your car for transportation. There is no direct link between POFQ and OKW, even though they are right next door. Of course the benefit of being that close is your family can come over to meet you for breakfast and beignets every morning.

Not to say that CBR is a bad resort. Far from it. It is beautiful but LARGE!! I do like the theming, but I will always choose POFQ.

We stayed at OKW this past May and really enjoyed it. It was well decorated and themed very well.

You will have to decide whether staying with family is worth the extra $225. We made that choice last time and really enjoyed it. All six of us in one condo. No phone calls, "Are you ready yet?", "What time are we meeting for breakfast?", "Goodnight, John-Boy.", etc. Definite benefits to staying together. But is it worth the extra money? You decide.

DisneyOtaku
08-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Go ahead and stick with your original plan. I am sure your kids will love the pool there just as much as they would have loved the CBR's. Plus, the CBR is so large, it can get kinda difficult to get around, IMO.

Darbylew
08-07-2009, 09:35 AM
We love POFQ and stay there everytime we go
to WDW. We have stayed at CBR as well and it
is a great resort. So colorful and now they have
a priate theme. Where ever you stay it will be
great. Just being in the land of MICKEY and
the MAGIC is matters the most! :mickey:

Checkers
08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
:mickey:Another vote to sticking with your original plan. POFQ is our favorite moderate resort and the boat to DTD is an added plus. Have a great trip!

SBETigg
08-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I would also advise to stick with your original plan. You will all be happier and more relaxed to have your own spaces to retire to at the end of the day. Everyone staying in one 2 br area is a lot of togetherness and I think tensions will rise. of course, if you really enjoy the company it might be fine. POFQ is lovely and a great choice for adults and for kids. I think you'll be very happy there.

yjgirl32
08-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I would stick to my original plan for the major reason being if you switch you will lose any dining reservations you may have and you could lose any promotional items ou may have- like the free dining- not saying you will lose it- but you could. Plus CBR is really a large resort and lots of walking. Just my :twocents: Good luck!

poohbearkris
08-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Another vote for POFQ. I stayed at CBR last year and while it is nice and the kiddie pool area was great for the kids, it is very large and we had unusually long wait times for the bus to the parks. POFQ is nice, small, has a great slide for the kids, and pretty central to all of the parks. I am not sure if this is possible, I think so, but you could probably take the boat to DTD and then take another boat to your family off of the same dock if you were meeting up at the hotels later in the day or the evening. I think the boats start running around 11a.

ThanxForNoticin
08-07-2009, 12:13 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority here, but having the opportunity to stay with the family in an OKW 2-BR sounds outstanding to me. As long as the $225 is not prohibitive for you, there are so many advantages to the OKW plan. The 2-BR units at OKW are amazing - lots and lots of room, not to mention your own kitchen, living room, and laundry. We've done the 2-BR stays with family, and we had plenty of room to spread out - we did not feel crowded.

The pool at OKW is also very nice and has a fun slide for the kids. In addition, OKW also has outdoor tennis, shuffleboard, ping pong, basketball, and boat rentals. Have a great time, whatever your decision!

jonahbear2006
08-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Id stay where you are. The POFQ pool is soo much cooler, the food is better there imho, and since the OKW is right next door I don't see this as a major concern. I think it will much easier than you imagine, and I def. would not switch to COR or ASM when you are already uber close to OKW at POFQ

mermaidmarian
08-08-2009, 06:13 AM
While the room accomodations would be an upgrade at OKW, I think the resort has little to offer when compared to other WDW resorts in terms of amenities. It is not a very walkable property (unless you don't mind walking in the roadway) and there is not much of what you would expect to do "back at the resort". It is really like staying on a golf course - which is what it is.

I'd stick with the original plan. Unless you golf.

LudwigVonDrake
08-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Stick with POFQ.

redlegwife96
08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I would also stick with your original plan. PO is a beautiful resort and has a nice relaxed feel. I agree with a prior posting that being able to get away from family to decompress is a great reason to stay at POFQ. It gives you some privacy when you are tired. (We've shared with family before, and couldn't wait to get some downtime from them, but that's our experience.) I would not switch to another resort like ASM because the PO is so quiet and peaceful. If you don't intend on staying in the room very often, then staying with family might be a good option for you. Resort choice is important, but the magic is in the parks!!:mickey:

szyper
08-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! We ended up sticking with POFQ for the first 3 days and then we will switch to SSR to stay with family. I am SO excited! We will get some time with just our family, and then our kids will get to hang out with their cousins. I am really excited to try POFQ & SSR and to be so close to DTD!