PDA

View Full Version : when you were younger...

beachezncream
08-06-2009, 02:34 PM
when you were younger do you remember standing in a line for a ride and being worried about it and freaking out, but once you got on the ride, it was perfectly fine?

tell your stories :thumbsup:

for me it was MS & HM :humph:

disneymom15
08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
For me it was Space mnt. Some people getting off the ride were telling their non riding family members how bad the ride was, and how lucky they were that they didn't go on (had me totally freaked out). About a year or two later, we were on the TTA, the lights were on inside SM and ever since then I've loved the ride.

EPCOTGAL1
08-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Yes. But that was only 10 years ago when I was a young 37 or so.....;) Waiting in line for RnRc, feeling my heart beat...watching the limo dart off, listening to the screaming.....knowing it was dark..... Yep....now it's a MUST on every trip, several times...not in a row though..:ack:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-06-2009, 04:09 PM
who needs to be young...up until last year I was scared to death of RNR!! Just the thought of going upside down in the dark at 60 miles per hour gave me a racing stripe. This past June, I gave in and went on it 5 times...twice in a row!!

HeyMrsL!ItsThisGuy!
08-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I have two:

I remember crying my eyes out while in line for haunted mansion at age 4, BUT LOVING IT.

and

when i was about 14 seeing the rock'n roller coaster limos take off. i almost used the chcked exit! lol

i loved both rides!

vws_and_disney
08-06-2009, 04:55 PM
It would have to be RnRC for me too. My palms used to get really clammy and then i would start to sweat lol.. Now i love it

IamBelle
08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
On my first trip, when I was 9, I was terrified of HM. Not the ride portion but the stretching room. When I heard Master Gracey say there was no way out, I started to cry my eyes out (I hate stuffy places where you can't move, but now, in the stretching room, I'm fine! )LOL

MNNHFLTX
08-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Actually I was more fearless when I was young, I think! Anyway, there were two rides that my heart was in my throat about that first time, and that was when I was *older*. ;)

One was Mission: Space and the other was Tower or Terror (don't ask me why--I guess it was in anticipation of that first unexpected drop!)

dmosher
08-06-2009, 05:50 PM
When I was young?? HA! I remember doing this last year on my first ride on Expedition Everest!
:pipes:
D

Tinksmom
08-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I was so scared the first time I was in line for Space Mountain. I REALLY did not want to ride. My dad told me to just try it. There is an exit halfway through the ride and if I didn't like it, I didn't have to ride the whole thing. When we get to the "halfway exit" everybody is getting out of the rocket. I loved it! I wanted to ride the WHOLE ride. It was only then that my parents told me this was the REAL exit, they lied about a half exit, and I had ridden the whole ride. They tricked me and I was so glad!

BTW- My daughter got to ride SM for the first time this year. She was scared when we got to the split in the line. That's when a sweet CM choose her (and us) to go into mission control. IT WAS SO COOL! She saw how the ride worked and even got to pick her seat in the rocket. All the way in front of course! She had no fear now. They even wished her a good flight over the speakers as we were climbing to blast off!
Now we both have a special 1st Space Mountian ride story!

Giggy
08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Erm......Country Bear Jamboree. :blush:

It was those animal heads on the wall! Those always creeped me out when I was younger and these ones looked real! I went here on our first visit (age 8) and found them creepy, when we returned (age 11) I didn't want to go in because I knew they would be there. I enjoyed it in the end though. :mickey:

ransam
08-06-2009, 10:29 PM
i remember my dad telling me when i was afraid to go on space mountain to look around...to look at how many people were picking up trash, etc....and if they cared that much about how clean the park was and that if they cared to pick up a little piece of gum wrapper before it even hits the floor...then they really cared about humans and would never let anything hurt you....that helped.

Tinkerbella16
08-07-2009, 08:42 AM
I was 6 years old on my 1st trip to WDW.

We were in line for BTMR, and I just kept looking out to the ride while standing in the queue, and was so afraid! I started crying and saying I couldn't go on. A little girl that was behind us in line (probably about the same age as me), came up to me and said "don't cry, its not scary, its really fun..you are gonna like it." So I went on and loved it!! I'll never forget that moment!

Did the same thing when TOT first opened. I would not step foot on that ride, I went through the line with my sister and Mom and had a CM take me to the chicken exit! I was so scared. Then I finally went on and again, LOVED it!

I look back and laugh about it now. Both are my favorite rides!

DisneyOtaku
08-07-2009, 08:56 AM
A few, actually.

The first one was Space Mountain, because the music. The music STILL freaks me out today, but there's no way that's going to stop me!

I remember having to be dragged onto Splash the first time--I'm not a big drop fan. But the Splash drop is much more fun than scary!

The last is ToT, which goes back to my fear of drops. That one still takes a bit of convincing to go on, but afterwards I look back and see that I enjoyed it. :)

Wishing Star
08-07-2009, 09:07 AM
As a child I was scared to go on 20,000 leagues because it went underwater and I knew there was a giant squid out to get me.:mickey:

In more recent times I am always a mess while waiting to get on Splash because I always dread the drop into the briar patch but once it's over I can't wait to get back in line.:blush:

grumpyguy
08-07-2009, 09:14 AM
when i was younger!!??heck,i recall being really
let's call nervously anxious the first time i was in line for my now beloved tower of terror..(9 yrs ago/mid 30's)
i remember thinking for every floor we go up..
we must come down...still,after at least 20 rides later,as the ride car is moving towards the "drop zone" i still think to myself,i can't believe i'm doing this voluntarily!!when it's over i can't wait to do it again:thumbsup:

BMan62
08-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Let's see...I actually backed out of my first opportunity to get on ToT at age 44. Got on it, finally, last September at the ripe old age of 46.

I'm one of those that, no matter how many times I have already ridden, still gets butterflies before any ride that has a significant drop or significant speed. I try not to let it stop me though. (One exception -- Summit Plummet at BB!!!! You will NOT get me on that!!)

diz_girl
08-07-2009, 11:50 AM
About four years ago, I chickened out of Soarin' (pathetic, I know). I then tried it 2 1/2 years ago and loved it. I just turned 40 last month. I haven't tried ToT yet. I chickened out for my 1997 and 2005 trips, I was pregnant during our 2007 trip and we didn't even go to DHS in December. But I'll do it the next time we hit that park. I can safely say that I will never do M:S.

bruin1344
08-07-2009, 01:03 PM
my mom claims i was nervous about the witch on snow white but i dont remember

I remember being nervous about riding splash mountain, space mountain, thunder mountain, and tower of terror for the first time

AlexinWonderland
08-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I hopped on Space Mountain and Big Thunder perfectly fine, but it took my dad twenty minutes to talk me into Splash when we went for it's opening in WDW.

It became my favorite ride and I rode it about fifteen times in a row after that (I had surgery for my club feet right before I went, so I was in a wheelchair which sped things up, even though I had to put a trashbag over my cast.)

I guess the exterior is more dramatic, since the "worst" part of the ride is so visible.

When I went on Haunted Mansion I was about 2 1/2 or 3 years old and I got on it fine, with only a little urging from my parents (and promises that I could sit between them,) and I was comfortable with all the spooky stuff. Or I was until the graveyard scene where the heads pop up at you.

I had been biting my bottom lip, a bad habit that I have continued to this day, and when one of the heads popped up I ducked down and hit my chin on the lap bar, causing me to bite through my lip. I didn't know what had happened until we got to the hitchhiking ghost scene and my parents freaked out, since I was coated in blood (though it didn't hurt.)

I am sure I scared more than a few people marching off of the ride covered in blood, but I was fine, and at the nearest cart I got a Mickey head ice cream and in the nearest store I got to pick out a new hot pink Cinderella shirt, while my mom attempted to wash my other one under the sink in the bathroom.

It'sWDW4me
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
My story goes back to when I was just the tender age of 38... last year.... I had avoided ToT like the plague for years but was determined to at least try it once. I most certainly did eye up the "chicken exit" but courageously pushed onward. Now I can't wait to get back down there and go on it again! :number1:

Kathy Jetson
08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Last dec. we were in line for Big Thunder Mountain and ds5 got realy scared and said he didn't want to go on. We had fast passes and we told him our line was the kids part and the other line was for bigger people after making sure over and over again he was in the kids line he agreed to go on. He loved it and wanted to do it over and over we rode it 6 times in a row until the park closed they didn't even make us get off they just let us stay seated. Now this trip ds will be 6 and we will both be trying tot, ee and splash mountain for the first time I think I might chicken out before does:blush:

Seasonscraps
08-08-2009, 01:10 AM
My story goes back to when I was just the tender age of 38... last year.... I had avoided ToT like the plague for years but was determined to at least try it once. I most certainly did eye up the "chicken exit" but courageously pushed onward. Now I can't wait to get back down there and go on it again! :number1:

This was me with the rock'n roller coaster. It took me 2 years to work up the nerve to go on it and now I love it.

For Tower of Terror - the first time I rode this one was with my sister and I was silently freaking out but she knew. She kept pointing to the kids that were all excited about going on the ride saying "Look, they aren't scared" I basically got shamed on to the elevator. :blush:

disneykid@hrt
08-08-2009, 07:31 AM
I went on ToT for the first time when I was a teenager-tween. I remember being scared to death!! I also use the "if kids can do it, I can too" approach. Once I rode it, I fell in love! It is just an experience unlike any other.

Somewhat related funny story: When DH and I went down in 2006 it was our first time to AK. I didn't really know much about the park and hadn't really done much research... anyway, the park is getting ready to close and we're walking by this little building called Dinosaur- we'd already ridden EE 3 times, so we were just hopping on stuff-like Kali, so didn't know how wet we'd get! BIG MISTAKE! And we live near Cedar Point and Great America and hit those up each summer, so I don't get scared of loopty-loo's and heights anymore.Anyway... So we ride Dinosaur and I'm just thinking this is some ho-hum kiddie ride. Oh no, no, no!! This has to be the scariest ride I've ever gone on. The picture at the end- which we had to splurge on because it was too funny- is me leaned over, eyes closed, covering my ears!!

We're going back for the first time since here pretty soon and I still haven't decided if I'm going to try it again. I mean, I was SCARED. I was never a fan of Jurassic Park movies. Maybe it's a Dinosaur thing. Dinophobia?

I was also scared of Toad's Wild Ride as a kid. But I'd kill to ride it now!

Mousemates
08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I still, at the ripe old age of 45, get a little "panicky" on ToT if I am on the front row.

Disneypixie513
08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I know when I was 10, I was really nervous about the drop on Splash.

But the biggest fear i've had was ToT. I was 13 and I absolutely did not want to ride it. I had seen it on the Travel Channel when they had a Disney thing on, and it looked so horrifying to me. Well, My parents made me go on it. Me and my best friend were almost in tears getting on the ride. My brave 9 yr. old sister was totally calm. Wel lwe rode it, and My friend and I got off and TOTALLY loved it! And my sister was in tears because she hated it. So a bit of irony there. I still love ToT, but waiting in line, and up until the first drop scares the living daylights out of me.