PDA

View Full Version : smells of disney

beachezncream
08-06-2009, 02:13 PM
:mickey: When we are all away from our beloved Disney World, what is it back home that we smell that no matter where we are can quickly take us to our favorite park, favorite hotel or attraction?

For me its Olay Quench lotion, to me it smells like the lobby of the AS resorts used to.

EpcotFan182
08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
This may sound pretty disgusting, but the smell of my head sweating while wearing a cap brings be back to WDW. I rarely wear caps when I'm at home, but I always do at WDW and that faint smell it gives off reminds me of hustling through the parks!

On a less-disgusting note, the smell of Coppertone sport spray-on lotion also sends me to the parks. :)

candleshoe
08-06-2009, 03:56 PM
The smell of the Mickey soap that they leave in the resort bathrooms. We often "borrow" a few bars to use at home and whenever I shower with the soap it brings me right back to Disney. Lever 2000 original is a good substitute when we're out of our stash of Mickey soap.

vws_and_disney
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
there is a couple things acutally the first thing would have to be churros mmmmmm. The "borrowed" soap since the DW likes to use it as hand soap. and sun tan lotion.

afowl1017
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
When ever I smell hot black top it takes me back to the parks.

HeyMrsL!ItsThisGuy!
08-06-2009, 04:11 PM
for me its the smell of car air conditioning

simply because we used to drive down to WDW when i was a little guy and it would get hot!

Daisy'sMom
08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Some mornings when I go out for my morning walk with the dog, I get that Disney smell. It makes me feel like I am standing on in the World Showcase. :mickey:
I just decided to ask DH if he wants to drive over on Saturday. Cross your fingers for me.:mickey:

MistressGracey
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
This is an excellent topic, IMO, because smells can trigger such powerful memories!

At our local AC Moore craft store, thet sell these "wax melts" that you melt in your tart burner for scent. They have this one, called Hot Apple Pie, that smells EXACTLY like the smell Diz pumps out during Mickey's Philharmagic over at MK. It's the only scent I buy now, LOL, as everytime I turn on the burner I'm right there in Fantasyland! :cloud9:

43 days n' counting!!:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
This is an excellent topic, IMO, because smells can trigger such powerful memories!

At our local AC Moore craft store, thet sell these "wax melts" that you melt in your tart burner for scent. They have this one, called Hot Apple Pie, that smells EXACTLY like the smell Diz pumps out during Mickey's Philharmagic over at MK. It's the only scent I buy now, LOL, as everytime I turn on the burner I'm right there in Fantasyland! :cloud9:

43 days n' counting!!:thumbsup:

Ooooh! I'm going to look for that! I love that part! For us it's a candle in a nearby mall that stopped us in our tracks one day. Smells like the ice cream cones on Main Street! DD calls it "the smell"...Mmmmm.

Belle--86
08-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Today myself and dd's were coming out of the mall and the smell fromnear by resteraunt all made us at once think of tyrkey drumsticks---- 9 days to go!!!!

Marceline
08-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Omy gush, so many smells remind me of the World. The humid smell after a warm late afternoon rain shower always sparks my Dizdar. There is a specific BBQ scent that reminds me of the WL lobby. But the best one I have yet to smell anywhere else....it's that musty Floridian funk you get in Frontierland.....I call it the Splash Mt. musk. Mmmmmmmm :cloud9: When I am there and catch a wiff, I stop and inhale deeeeeply, so that a few molecules might travel home with me. :thumbsup::mickey:

ransam
08-06-2009, 06:56 PM
There is a company called Method that makes soap...hand soap, dishwasher soap, air fresheners.. they have a smell called "sweetwater" don't know why but that takes me back to disney world. I love it...it's all i use...even though it is kinda expensive.

Mickey91
08-06-2009, 08:52 PM
1. My Mickey soap and shampoo

2. Candy stores/cotton candy and fudge

3. My daughter and I walked into a Chic-fil-A the other day and the smell of fries, chicken and ketchup made us think of Cosmic Rays and The Electric Umbrella!

4. Sometimes I can smell "Rome burning" when a neighbor burns trash or brush.

5. And last is a sound. Our town is a train town and we now have a C&O museum with a working steam whistle. We live only a few blocks away and every time they blow the whistle, I feel like I am almost to the Magic Kingdom to ride the WDW Railroad!

AHOTE
08-07-2009, 12:26 AM
The smell of Gier Cologne, (or Laila) from Norway, takes me right to the World Showcase. :cloud9:

antngoof89
08-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Mine has to be the smell of fresh made ice cream cones, like the smell on mainstreet. That and the smell, as gross as it is, of the water that gets all over your clothes on Splash Mountain. It's a nasty, dirty water smell, but for some reason it's a smell that makes me just wanna laugh and remember how much fun my first "dip" on splash mountain was.

But those Ice Cream Cones remind me of racing through the opening gates after watching the ceremony, strolling through the park to get to Buzz Lightyear's Spin early in the morning. It's always the first thing I expect to smell when I see the dim sunlight of dawn.

:)

Dragongirlx
08-07-2009, 03:32 AM
The smell of the Christmas shop on liberty square is one of my faves and theYankee candle company has a candle that smells just like it. When ever I burn this I am sent straight to the magic kingdom. And now they have a gel thing for your car that smells the same so my car smells like the christmas shop in the magic Kingdom - Happiness:mickey:

Venus0880
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I like to wear my favorite perfume everyday, all day when I am at the world. This causes me to associate DW with the scent and then every time I wear it when I get back....ah! I love it.

But also, the smell of diesel (I think) powered city buses always reminds me of DW.

I have yet to find a smell that is close to the orange scent that was formerly used in Horizons. I hear it is now used in Soarin'. I have bought every single orangish scented air freshener I could find, but none come close. If anyone know of a good one, please post.

ILoveLegos
08-07-2009, 11:09 AM
My local orange orchard smells just like Soarin' or is that Soarin' smells just like my orange orchard?!?! :cloud9:

Sweetpea29488
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Mine is a little out there I guess. It's the smell of the water with the clorine. When ever I smell that I think of Disney.

BIGDOG
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Mine is a little out there I guess. It's the smell of the water with the clorine. When ever I smell that I think of Disney.

Not out there at all I love the smell of clorine or bleach in general it reminds me of pools at the resorts in general...I also love the smell and sight of any brioled Salmon dish,,, the salmon at the crystal palace is excellent ,,,I will think of more.......

johnfunkwriter
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
But also, the smell of diesel (I think) powered city buses always reminds me of DW.

that diesel smell from the school bus reminded us of disney transportation all through our long, cold canadian winter :)

bruin1344
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
the chlorine-like smell from pirates, splash mountain or other water rides

beachezncream
08-07-2009, 01:16 PM

thats totally not out there, thats what we say all of the time :cloud9:

MistressGracey
08-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Ooooh, I have one more! Whenever my husband grills out on our charcoal grill, I can't stop sniffing him afterwards because he smells just like Frontierland, LOL...I think it's the smoked turkey legs that lends that smoky smell to this area, but I could be wrong. Don't worry, folks, he's used to my Disney nuttiness and doesn't mind me sniffing him in the least...:D

BIGDOG
08-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I know even the towels by the pool are cleaned so well they smell like bleach as well. I some times un known to me find 1 in my suit case wrapped around a glass item bought at the park every now and then and my entire luggage smells like bleach..

johnO
08-07-2009, 02:04 PM
There is a distinct odor that the water in WDW has. I don't think it's simply a 'chlorine' smell.

The aroma of the "water of Disney" is a common theme in "smell" threads here...

Rekenna
08-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Right there with you! :mickey:There is a building near where I work that has really nice fountains in it (smell of chlorine) that reminds me of the fountains at the Orlando airport which in turn reminds me of Disney (b/c that is the only reason why I am at the airport).

DisneyLuver91
08-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Sometimes I get a random whiff of the Splash Mountain water. It's like old chlorine, but it still smells wonderful.

I also smell skunks and think of the new Figment ride. Mmmm... I've loved that smell since the first time I rode it.

And my new (used) car's A/C smells like a monorail. It makes me so happy every time it goes on. :party:

DisneyLuver91
08-08-2009, 09:56 AM
But the best one I have yet to smell anywhere else....it's that musty Floridian funk you get in Frontierland.....I call it the Splash Mt. musk. Mmmmmmmm :cloud9: When I am there and catch a wiff, I stop and inhale deeeeeply, so that a few molecules might travel home with me. :thumbsup::mickey:

That's EXACTLY the smell I mean!!!!

DNS
08-08-2009, 11:46 AM
The smell of the Christmas shop on liberty square is one of my faves and theYankee candle company has a candle that smells just like it. When ever I burn this I am sent straight to the magic kingdom. And now they have a gel thing for your car that smells the same so my car smells like the christmas shop in the magic Kingdom - Happiness:mickey:
I love Yankee Candles. Which scent?

amd780
08-08-2009, 12:03 PM
And my new (used) car's A/C smells like a monorail. It makes me so happy every time it goes on. :party: My uncle's pickup truck's A/C has the same smell! My Dad, my little sister and I were all riding in it when we visited my aunt & uncle back in May. I was like, "You know, Uncle Mike, your truck smells just like the Disney Monorail! That's quite a compliment!" My sister agreed with me, and my Dad just laughed at us. :D

KAJUNKING
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
our local movie theater has this musty smell that reminds me of inside the building next to club cool, the one you can pass through to go to the land pavillion

HauntedMansionManiac
08-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I keep an orange scented air freshener under my pillow when I sleep at night. It's not exactly the same, but close enough to remind me of Disney.

The other one is a sound, but whenever I listen to Aerosmith I remember that whole day.:mickey:

Mousemates
08-08-2009, 09:58 PM
There is a candy store in Gatlinburg TN (my home town) called the KarmelKorn which emits the exact same odor as the candy shop on Mainstreet in the MK.

sisterslovindisney
08-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree with that certain chlorine smell - not all chlorine just certain times - takes me right to the lobby at the Poly!

Boost
08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
the Monorail smell, the smell of the shops, the smell of the waffle cone machine on main street, the oranges in Soarin', the smell of the trains around MK....too many to list them all...

dizknee531
08-12-2009, 12:26 AM
I love the monorail smell and the smell at the Poly rooms.:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Imagineer1981
08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Anytime I go past cold stone creamry I smell those waffle cones and I am instantly taken to Main Street...yum!

rachel_future_candy_maker
08-12-2009, 08:11 PM
cinnamon roasted almonds-we always go around christmas time, and the MK has a stand near the park entrance...mmmm! :mickey:

StitchFan#1
08-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Anytime I go past cold stone creamry I smell those waffle cones and I am instantly taken to Main Street...yum!

THATS WHAT I WAS GONNA Say! lol or elegant farmer apple pie smells just like the pie in Philharmagic

Dragongirlx
08-13-2009, 03:39 AM
I love Yankee Candles. Which scent? Home sweet home

ILoveLegos
08-13-2009, 09:13 AM
THATS WHAT I WAS GONNA Say! lol or elegant farmer apple pie smells just like the pie in Philharmagic

Is that the pie in the paper bag from the Bobby Flay showdown challenge? Oh my, If I only had smell-o-vision!

Marilyn Michetti
08-13-2009, 03:25 PM
The musty, humid air in the Universe of Energy is unique. Even Philly can't match it.
My other favorite is the motor oil smell in the queue of Test Track.:clappy:

StitchFan#1
08-13-2009, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=ILoveLegos;1938874]Is that the pie in the paper bag from the Bobby Flay showdown challenge? Oh my, If I only had smell-o-vision![/QU

best pie in the universe yes it is bobby flay challenge pie but let me tell ya it was theeeee bestest pie ever

grumpyguy
08-14-2009, 10:56 AM
two things...
1.)every time i smell diesel fumes from a bus
2.)sun tan lotion
takes me to wdw everytime:cloud9:

BIGDOG
08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=HauntedMansionManiac;1936192]I keep an orange scented air freshener under my pillow when I sleep at night. It's not exactly the same, but close enough to remind me of Disney.

That is kinda out there

jwallace378
08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
This is gonna sound really weird...but that smell of the monorail (musty A/C?) is my favorite smell in Disney. Also the Poly main lobby is another favorite!

Belle_0717
08-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Some summer mornings remind me of WDW - heading out to the parks early or eating breakfast on the terrace at SSR.

The orange Menthos in the fruit pack reminds me of Horizons.

I can't smell a chocolate chip cookie and not think of the Main Street Bakery.

The smell of BBQ reminds me of Flame Tree at AK.

There are so many, I could be here for days.

kemps@wdw
08-16-2009, 12:07 AM
It's not really a question of what particular smell reminds me of WDW, rather what, in WDW, does every smell remind me of.:D (does that make sense?) My Dizdar is always on point!

clou1028
08-16-2009, 09:29 AM
My parking garage at work on a hot day! It may seem odd, I know, but the smell is exactly that of the parking garage at MCO where we pick up our rental car. It's a big memory trigger for me, the smell, and also the sounds - the hollow echo of the big cavernous garage, the birds flying in and out of the garage. It really makes me feel happy, I guess it makes me think of arrival day and all the fun that awaits me!

Emme&TeddysMommy
08-16-2009, 09:47 AM

That’s so funny because we go to Yankee Candle Flagship store all the time and I always say the same thing. They have a Bavarian Christmas village and it smell the same way ahhhhh the smells that bring out our favorite memories. So wonderful!

jonahbear2006
08-16-2009, 03:49 PM
That's EXACTLY the smell I mean!!!!

THIS is the smell I remember. Its near all the bathrooms, in the restaurants, the corners. It must be something they clean with or spray. It's everywhere. I remember the 9 day trip where by day 8 it actually made me feel nauseated but normally smells good.

Also, the food, it all seems to have a general smell to it, in counter services...
sunscreen...I love walking into a theme park and having an overwhelming aroma of banana boat in the air....
And that tinge of after fireworks smell in the evening, after the closing ceremonies.

I actually wrote a blog on the smells of Disney last year so this thread is exactly what I like to hear.

Gator
08-18-2009, 03:19 PM
There's a restaurant called the Elephant Bar that I love. When you drive near it or walk by it, it smells just like Flame Tree BBQ. Makes me want to go to AK.

RAIDER
08-18-2009, 04:19 PM
The smoked turkey legs :cloud9: