PDA

View Full Version : dining with a two years old???

thesplashmountaineer
08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I love disney and I hate it when someone’s behavior ruins a ride or a show for me….
Since I certainly don’t want to be that guy or ruins someone else's magical experience……here’s my question

What are the restaurants you would not bring a 2 years old to?
What restaurants would you definitely go with a 2 years old?

momofdisneyprincess
08-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Honestly...it is Disney so there are a very few that I would not bring my children to. I know others do; but....my DS2 is not well suited for some. That said, I would not bring him to Victoria & Alberts or the other Signature Dining places. Other than that, I would bring him anywhere. I did bring my DD to Le Cellier when she was 5 and we did have to leave as she was not behaving. Just like I wouldn't want to sit next to an unruly child, I do not expect anyone to sit next to mine when she is unruly. Disney or not. Try to make early dining reservations and you shouldn't have a problem. It was partly my fault when we had to leave. It was 7pm ADR's and her bedtime was 7:30. All in all, Disney is such a kid friendly place and I'm sure people expect there to be children.

Disney Doll
08-06-2009, 11:00 AM
This is just my preference and every kid is different I'm sure, but I tend to stay away from most table service places with my 22 month old. He doesn't have the patience for a long meal and I find that we don't really enjoy the experience as much when we are spending so much time keeping him entertained. I like the buffets because the food's ready and there's little waiting. Other than that we stick to CS so we can eat and get on with it.

Goes4FastPass
08-06-2009, 02:09 PM
With the exception of Victoria and Albert's ALL WDW restaurants have children present being children - and adults who act like children (nevermind) - ALWAYS.

Whenever you want to dine, whereever you want to dine, at WDW you should not hesitate to take your 2YO because there will be other preschoolers at the restaurant.

My wife and I sometimes go to WDW without children and we go expecting to be around familes.

There's a Disney World for people who don't like kids or want a break from kids. It's called Las Vegas.

robnadina
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I have a 15 mo old and can totally relate to unruly children. Just going to In & Out can be a chore sometimes. I would suggest Crystal Palace in MK. My DD LOVES Pooh & Tigger and we plan on eating here for our trip in Feb. They have kid friendly food not only in the Childrens Buffett, but also in the Adult section as well. And the characters do a good job interacting with the kids. Now, I dont know your childs behavior patterns, but Coral Reef might be a good choice too. I know it can be a little adult, but with the marine life swimming around, it might be enough to entertain a toddler while dining (mine will get a kick out of it).
It really is hit or miss when it comes to toddlers. I couldn't tell you what half the food I have eaten in the last 6 months tastes like. Sometimes you have no choice but to hoover your meal and get out. :blush:

disney100%
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
On our last trip, my son was 3.5, my middle daughter was 2, my youngest daughter was 10 months and my nephew was 1.5. We went to several sit downs and they were al well behaved. Here are the ones we tried:
Biergarten
Hoop Dee Doo
Chef Mickey's
Crystal Palace
Rainforest Cafe
Cape May Cafe (breakfast)

Of course, all these places had plenty of sounds, music or characters to keep them occupied. We had a great time, but like someone already mentioned, make your ADRs for times that are best suited for your two year old. My children usually eat between 5:30 and 6, so we made all our ADRs (well, tried to) between 5 and 5:30 to make sure we weren't pushing their limits. Of course, buffets are great because your two year old is free, and I loved that as soon as my kids ate some dinner, I could quickly get them dessert!

FriendsofMickey
08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I think it really depends on your child. Are they going to be okay with the characters? If so, then any of the character meals would be great. (Chef Mickey's, Crystal palace, Garden Grill, Hollywood and Vine...)
There are also character meals such as 1900 Park Fare, Ascherus (Norway, no idea how to spell... as a side note, I wouldn't eat there because I disliked it, but to each their own).

Your post made me laugh. When my girls were 18 months we were at the beach and went to a restaurant. Now my girls are twins so they were both 18 months, when we got there one couple gave us a look. I had no idea why...fastforward.. when they got up to leave they stopped by and told us how well behaved our girls were and how they had expected them to be so bad.
I had never even considered not going, but I guess I could see their point (in their thoughts).
And then I understood the look.
Anyway, I would agree not to take them to the fancier restaraunt, but then I wouldn't take my 6 year olds there either.

princessesmom
08-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I have 4 children and they were all at WDW at age 2. We always do a TS meal each day. Any of the character meals are great with the small children. They are either buffet or family style served at the table. Biergaren in Epcot is another great choice for small children. It is also a buffet, so there is no waiting for food. And the entertainment is fabulous. Whispering Canyon in WL is okay, though it seemed we always had a long wait to get in even with an ADR.

We never attempted to go to any signature restaurants with the kids. I know some people will disagree, but I think those restaurants are much more geared to adults and older children -the food and the atmosphere. My husband and I will generally go out one night without the kids and will do a signature restaurant on that night.

We went to LeCellier on our February trip. Our youngest is 5 now and it worked out okay. There is no entertainment factor there and it is small and somewhat cramped. I personally wouldn't go there with a toddler, but it does depend on your child.

There will be small children in all the restaurants, though. So don't hesitate to go somewhere because you think you'll be the only one with a toddler. Every child is different and you know yours and where he/she will be most comfortable.

FaithTrustPixieDust
08-07-2009, 10:20 AM
My son's first trip to WDW was at age 2 1/2. He was petrified of most of the characters, even the ones that he was very familiar with. The only characters he would talk to were the princesses (which we scheduled for the benefit of his sister). I think that is because they look like regular people.

Having said that, if you do want to try some character meals, Crystal Palace, Hollywood n Vine, and Garden Grille would be good choices. Overall, the characters are very aware and respectful of a small child who might be afraid of them. And who knows, your child might adore the characters!

I would also encourage you to mix up the buffets with the menu dining. Buffets are great because of the variety and because you can get in and out within the time frame that suits you. However, mom and dad do a lot of running back and forth! Buffets were total choas for me when my kids were smaller.

Coral Reef and San Angel Inn might be great. (I know there are mixed reviews on their food, but the atmosphere can't be beat.)

And of course remember it's Disney, you will see kids of all ages (and all temperaments) everywhere you turn. :mickey:

SBETigg
08-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I think you're very considerate of others to be thinking of this. It is Disney, so there are very few places that I wouldn't go with a little one. They're really welcome almost anywhere. Not at Victoria and Albert's (not under age 11 even allowed there now) and not Bistro de Paris. I might think twice about the Signature dining places, but I wouldn't even rule them out. If you go early and you're willing to take some extra care to go for a little walk outside with the child if the fussies come on, then I don't see why not.

But if you want to stick with the most family friendly of the bunch, you can count on places that feature character appearances or a more playful atmosphere, and buffets tend to be great for families with children.

Consider:
Crystal Palace (really, anywhere in the MK is great for little ones)
Chef Mickey's
1900 Park Fare
Cape May Cafe
'Ohana
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Garden Grill
Hollywood & Vine
Biergarten
Akershus
Boma

Woozle
08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
We took my 2 yr old to Le Cellier in June and she did great. But then my kids were brought up eating out all the time. I would take my DD's to almost any place in WDW to eat and not worry. I think it really would depend on the child. You might want to consider for those nicer places you are worried about, going to lunch so that they may not be as worn out.

Have fun!!!